Author Topic: Captains of Crush grippers  (Read 14879 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Captains of Crush grippers
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
I own all of them, used to be enthusiastic about them but its waned. I can close the number 2 a few times but reached a point where I can't improve on them. Every time I use them my knuckles pop and it fucking hurts.  I guess it's chronic overuse.

I think they are cheaply constructed too - they rust, squeak, and wear out. The resistance jumps are highly arbitrary and I think that's another reason why I can't improve.

themetalgod

• Getbig II
Re: Captains of Crush grippers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:19:18 AM »
i don;t know I've found them top be constructed pretty good.true there is a huge jump between the #2 and #3 but that where's ironmind has come up with some different "toys" to use.you should get mastery of hand strength by john brookfield.there is more to do then just squeezing the grippers to develop your crushing strength.look at the post that say old hand injury's.remember these aren't your ordinary grippers you need to use them or treat them like a heavy squat or deadlift.their not the grippers from k mart or modells

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »
true, I tend to neglect the fact that your grip should be treated in a similar manner as with other muscle groups. I'll check out the literature, thanks.

clever_username

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:16:05 PM »
The resistance jumps are highly arbitrary...

I have the #2 with the same problem. Post if you ever find a remedy to this.

BS Nutrition

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »
What else do you guys do for grip?  Fatbar?, Plateflips? stuff like that.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »
What else do you guys do for grip?  Fatbar?, Plateflips? stuff like that.
pinch grip some plates, hold heavy weight for time, farmers walk, lift plates by the hub.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:45:25 AM »
I COPIED THIS FROM ONE OF MY OTHER POSTS THESE ARE THINGS RECOMMENDED BY JOHN BROOKFIELD.ALSO JUST SQUEEZING THE NUMBER #3 WITHOUT CLOSING IT IS CREATING TREMENDOUS TENSION IN YOUR MUSCLES WHICH WILL BUILD STRENGTH JUST STAY AT IT :)
curling weight plates.sledge hammer lever lifts.bag snatching,finger tip push ups,rope climbing.using the titan telegraph key from ironmind and their other grip machine.plier lifting.using the captains of crush.pinch gripping weight plates turn them to the smooth sides together and hold for like a minute work up to 45's.buy a york dumbell 60 pounds or higher cut off the ends and use them to do clean and presses snatch's and just one of them to pinch grip.then when you get stronger work your way up to the sides of a 100 pound dumbell

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:06:04 AM »
oh yeah and another thing...

Any of you guys train reverse crushing strength i.e. the opposite of squeezing?

It would be like sticking your hand in a closed fist position in wet sand and fully expanding your hand. Any more practical ways of training this muscle group?

clever_username

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 12:25:43 PM »
Any of you guys train reverse crushing strength

CriticalBench sells a wrist roller that can be attached to the end of a power rack or smith machine barbell that is the best thing I've found for the extensors (it can actually be used for the flexors as well, but not as effective, IMO).

It's a tad pricey once you factor in shipping (it's ultimately just a stitched seat beat) but is a great piece of equipment for wrist strength.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44:37 AM »
Isn't Manfred Hoeberl one of the only people to ever close the #4?

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 10:57:32 AM »

No,

a few people have closed it, including Magnus Samuelson
X

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »
there was also a little dude named Joe Kinney who was the first man to officially close the number 4, actually Manfred Hoeberl closed the number 3 not the number 4 but he clicked the handles of the 3 together so hard that it was audible from a few feet away, Randy Strossen who's company makes the grippers said it was the easiest he ever saw anyone close the number 3.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 01:49:38 PM »
I know. I thought Joe would be some huge dude but he looks like an average untrained middle aged man.

Dorian Yates was given the number 3 at the Arnold years back and he couldn't close it.

Go figure

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
i can do 10 reps with the number 4, its so easy

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 08:39:21 AM »
I know. I thought Joe would be some huge dude but he looks like an average untrained middle aged man.

Dorian Yates was given the number 3 at the Arnold years back and he couldn't close it.

Go figure
most bodybuilders can't close the number 2 let alone the 3.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »
joe kinney isn't as small asyouthink i seen one pic of him and i thought he was small and how could he close it.then i just seen a recent pic and he's bigger then i thought but he works with slegde hammers and is a outdoorsman.look at john brookfield and how strong he is.manfred never closed the #4 i don;t care how easy he closed it the #3 the #4 is 85 more pounds of pressure to close it a lot more then the #3.john brookfield was the 2 to close the #3 he also closed the #4using one finger to steady it.but he really doesn't train on the grippers

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »
joe kinney isn't as small asyouthink i seen one pic of him and i thought he was small and how could he close it.then i just seen a recent pic and he's bigger then i thought but he works with slegde hammers and is a outdoorsman.look at john brookfield and how strong he is.manfred never closed the #4 i don;t care how easy he closed it the #3 the #4 is 85 more pounds of pressure to close it a lot more then the #3.john brookfield was the 2 to close the #3 he also closed the #4using one finger to steady it.but he really doesn't train on the grippers
Joe Kinney is a skinny 160lb. geek, you've obviously never seen a picture of him.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »
For those that need grippers in smaller jumps, check out the Tetting/Beef Builders grippers. Warren Tetting was the original contractor for IronMan and Ironmind. Check them out at www.weightlifterswarehouse.com.

Also check out Gripboard.com, if you're really into hand strength.

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 11:30:01 AM »
this is a pic of joe he doesn't look like 160 geek not imposing but more then 160 pounds

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 02:03:43 PM »

Didn't Phil Pfister close it?
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »

I can't figure how Brookfield is so strong? He isn't a big guy. It boggles the mind. Obviously his hands are strong. Wouldn't you have to be over all strong too if you closed a #4? I can't see having superhuman hand strength and being a weakling in other ways.
The House that Ruth built

themetalgod

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »
check this out about john http://www.samsonscroll.com/unbelievable.htmbrookfield
when bill kazmaier says your strong your strong.jouko hola calls john brookfield the world's real strongest man and mr hands.it's like when kaz was trying to explain to a lady when i saw him at a church muscles don't have to be big to be strong.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 02:29:06 AM »
I know a guy who closed the #4. He did it at the ASC, in front of Odd Haugen and Svend Karlsen. Thought he was certified then.

But the homos at COC claimed it didn't count, because Odd wasn't certified? ???

And now they've changed the rules, so you're not allowed to place the gripper in your hand before crushing it.

But those who are certified, like Kinney and Samuelsson, they most certainly placed it. It's fcuking impossible to do it without position it in your hand.

Fcuking homos at COC.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »
I know a guy who closed the #4. He did it at the ASC, in front of Odd Haugen and Svend Karlsen. Thought he was certified then.

But the homos at COC claimed it didn't count, because Odd wasn't certified? ???

And now they've changed the rules, so you're not allowed to place the gripper in your hand before crushing it.

But those who are certified, like Kinney and Samuelsson, they most certainly placed it. It's fcuking impossible to do it without position it in your hand.

Fcuking homos at COC.

YIP
Zack
i've spoken to Randy Strossen a number of times and he's a good guy but he is a little too picky about the rules on the grippers, the guy knows his stuff though.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 09:06:05 PM »
i've spoken to Randy Strossen a number of times and he's a good guy but he is a little too picky about the rules on the grippers, the guy knows his stuff though.

Here's my take:

Good thing they got rules. But if they change the rules, so it becomes much harder to do a correct close of the #3 and the #4, then IMO, the previous certificates must be nullified.

I understand why he made the change though. The amount of people closing the #3 was getting high, so the exclusivity was getting lost.

Still, a bit fishy.

But the episode where this guy actually flew from Sweden to ASC to get certified ( he also did some coaching for a guy at the strongman contest), shows how hard it is to do a close.

Because he met up with Strossen the next day, and tried to close it then, but then his hand was exhausted.

Nice little trip to ASC for nothing LOL.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise