Author Topic: Calf question  (Read 2394 times)

binliftin

• Getbig II
  • It's not the size that counts...right
Calf question
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:20:01 AM »
I am wondering if running will help build mass on my calves? :P

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Calf question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »
I would say no, well, it would depend on how much you run. people say that running short spint works wonders. but i would disagree bc running is cardio and cardio is anti-mass building.  i would  stick to calf raises seated and standing. and if you  train  at home or whatever, just do standing calf raise  on anything that gives you a ROM for the calf raise

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
I would say no, well, it would depend on how much you run. people say that running short spint works wonders. but i would disagree bc running is cardio and cardio is anti-mass building.  i would  stick to calf raises seated and standing. and if you  train  at home or whatever, just do standing calf raise  on anything that gives you a ROM for the calf raise

weighted
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:17:04 PM »
do standing calf raise  on anything that gives you a FULL ROM for the calf raise
 I can't tell you how many people I see doing calves but not dropping their heels below the level of the floor  ::)  
:

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
I think that the "ronnie coleman" ROM that ppl see him do and copy. yea thats the ronnie coleman  style of doing it. and ppl wonder why they can't grow them. one exerise im starting to like is the one legged db calf raise.. whenever i do them. ppl look like im crazy.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »
I think that the "ronnie coleman" ROM that ppl see him do and copy. yea thats the ronnie coleman  style of doing it. and ppl wonder why they can't grow them. one exerise im starting to like is the one legged db calf raise.. whenever i do them. ppl look like im crazy.

Get a guy on your back while you do donkeys. Now that will raise an eyebrow or two.
:

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 03:35:18 PM »
I always found i like calf raises after my last set of a extreamly heavy leg presses.i also like one leg raises with a dumbell while standind on a rise to really streach and contract the calf.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:54:51 PM »
Get a guy on your back while you do donkeys. Now that will raise an eyebrow or two.

Donkey's really are the king of all calf raises... you end up looking kind of g**.... but they work... personally I get a dude to pick up a big dumbbell to increase the weight... but man do they work.

However, as stressed aboveby others, be sure to stretch the calves through the reps, all the way up and all the way down...

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »
Running sprints of 40yd's (or more) in set's is an outstanding way to increase muscular calf size. And rather quickly at that. Running in sand is ever better. Either way a higher level of stamina (endurance & strength) will be gained also. Cardio exercises can build muscle mass, cardio is not anti-mass if not taken to extremes.

Preforming calf raises from the flat surface of the floor can build massive calves when increased weight is added to the shoulders. Doing them in a power rack can be rewarding ( a form of partial training). This is without the benefit of a full stretch of any kind. With calf training, adding a variety of movement for most guy's helps greatly, including the above mentioned sprints.. So mix stretching movements with the flat  (non-stretch) exercises. One of the more effective calf developer is the one legged calf raise (with DB) off a 4 inch block.

I'm sure if the lovely Princess L were the donkey a lot of guy's would get a raise, not just their eyebrows.... Good Luck.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »

I'm sure if the lovely Princess L were the donkey a lot of guy's would get a raise, not just their eyebrows....

I have been on both ends  ;)
Have you ever heard grown men giggle  :P
It's hysterical

:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 05:30:30 AM »

I have been on both ends  ;)
Have you ever heard grown men giggle  :P
It's hysterical

~giggle~

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 10:12:33 AM »
A lot of it is genetics.  My calves are great personally only train them once a week.  I switch from standing to donkey.  5 sets heavy. Got a friend of mine with not much calve size to do this and he has increased his calves quite a bit.  After reaching a plateau i had him switch to lighter weight more reps and he has seen more improvement.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 10:22:46 AM »
Skipping rope will make your calfs humongus! But you gotta do it on your toes. Also when you run, run on your toes.
just push some weight!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 11:00:19 AM »
Try everything,
some parts of you body are genetically determined (proportion type 1 to 2 musclefibers) and if your unlucky you have to work your ass of to get some results. The same for lower arms.

So try ultraheavy, highreps, donkeys etc,
but also try running (uphill), jumping rope, stairclimber, and try to find out what works best for you.