Author Topic: Shawn Ray's First Experiences as a Promoters  (Read 21427 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Just  putting ideas out there!  It's up to the fossils that run the industry to find a new formula that works.  Maybe the fit/fig girls should be moved to the front of the line.  Promote them first than bbers including the men.  Avg person can relate to Monica, Dina, Bethany, DJ and so forth more than Ronnie, Jay and Phil.  Take a weight watchers approach to the whole thing than hardcore bbing.  Just ideas.  The companies have the dough. That's what god made marketing companies for!  Maybe the fossils dont wont real competition coming in.
No worries - ideas are appreciated but the handful of people who think they have the answers don't know all the ins and outs of why things can or can't be done. It's not by lack of trying or creativity on anyone's part.

Hate to break it to ya bro but the average person can not relate to the women you mentioned and more then they can relate to a Jay or Ronnie. To the average joe Monica's physique is never obtainable. I work with a number of women in the industry and sadly their following isn't even close to the men. Look at how much attention they get in the magazines, next to none. We promoted the women as much as we did the men on the web site, ads and local televison stations.

Again not discrediting any ideas, just laying out what was done and what you're up against in "the real world".
Elevate Your Image.™

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
No worries - ideas are appreciated but the handful of people who think they have the answers don't know all the ins and outs of why things can or can't be done.

Quit bitching mang.

Buy yourself a lottery ticket for the raffle on the 240 or Bust Classic No-Tap Fight.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
Having promoted a sports event or two in my past, and built up a company from scratch, I will never criticize somebody for taking the time to make things happen in this world.

Its all about risk and reward. It takes guts and will power to create something out of nothing. Kudos  Shawn for putting the Colorado Pro together.

Like Woody Allen said, 99 percent of success in life is about showing up.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Having promoted a sports event or two in my past, and built up a company from scratch, I will never criticize somebody for taking the time to make things happen in this world.

Its all about risk and reward. It takes guts and will power to create something out of nothing. Kudos  Shawn for putting the Colorado Pro together.

Like Woody Allen said, 99 percent of success in life is about showing up.

I wouldn`t even guest pose at a show unless they had at least 10,000 in the audience.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
I wouldn`t even guest pose at a show unless they had at least 10,000 in the audience.

LMAO...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Dude, you are such a little milkmaid.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
are you saying this is not a decent dude?

I couldn't help but notice you enjoy to partake in the sharing of pics of nude men.  Matt P, you clearly like the cock.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
ok, my math was skewed and i type and think way too fast sometimes-

I think 5000 to 6000 could have been a realistic number for the Colo Pro if a long term grassroots gym campaign was launched. Not 50%, that is too high an estimate.  But 5-6000 could be grabbed with 1) tix sales in gyms on commission 2) tix sales on SRay appearance 3) some print ads, specialized.

Sorry no way in hell.  Well yes there is. First off 5000 people would make it the highest live audience of any BB show of the year.  The ASC had 2800+.  No way in the world can you say a show like the ASC or the Olympia will be oudone by a show in Denver with not one big name. 

Here is the scoop.  Sean is an IFBB Living Legend as he was called at the show.  You would think with all this pretisge and power he would have been able to get some kind of support from all the friends he has.  And as much as itpains me to say this, Sean would get that many people if he advertised and brought in Arnold to emcee his show or play a major part in it.  Sorry but the Srnold name sells sells sells and sells more.  That is a fact.  Even bringing in Louie and promoting he will be at the expo to sign autographs for free would bring in allot of people.  No matter what people like to see Louie.  He was an icon at one time and people do remember that.  Sean would have to pay him on the side so that he would not be able to sell his autogrpah or pictures for more than $5.  Other than that or bring in a major movie star, athlete(s) there is no way this show will get really big while in Denver.  With all the promotion Sean did I would think most people in the Denver area knew about the show.  That is taking into account Sean did a great job of prmoting it and got it in the avenues to hit most everybody.  Now if they all knew and only this many people came, how many more can you expect to come next time.  What will be different to convince someone who doesn't like BB enough to come to the first show to come to the next one.  The expo is really the only part of the show that can grow and make this show a huge success.  More events, more things to do and targeting a wider market.  Targeting just BB lovers and people in the gym will NOT make this show bigger or a success.

flurby

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
what is funny is that except for the two gettbig members who went there, there s no one who s been there to testify.

shows you how "many" people went tot he "event"...

bbing is a joke,and you all clowns are a joke too.

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
No worries - ideas are appreciated but the handful of people who think they have the answers don't know all the ins and outs of why things can or can't be done. It's not by lack of trying or creativity on anyone's part.

Hate to break it to ya bro but the average person can not relate to the women you mentioned and more then they can relate to a Jay or Ronnie. To the average joe Monica's physique is never obtainable. I work with a number of women in the industry and sadly their following isn't even close to the men. Look at how much attention they get in the magazines, next to none. We promoted the women as much as we did the men on the web site, ads and local televison stations.

Again not discrediting any ideas, just laying out what was done and what you're up against in "the real world".

Well... what's the next avenue?  You guys are in the industry.  I (We) are just putting out ideas.  Gymnastics and Ms America do very well, and  I'd say that Figure and Fitness are their second cousins... so with the right ideas out there they can have good success also.  I'd bet Dina has reached a bigger audience with her site.  I could be wrong.  It's easier for a man or woman to get a similar physique to a fitness athlete or figure than Ronnie, Jay or MsO.  Let us be real! More young woman want to be like Bethany Howlett than young man want to be Ronnie Coleman.  Her selling points are not just fitness but a woman business owner, highly educated and so forth.  This kind of stuff can be packaged.  That makes her an asset!  You dont need to focus on the muscle shots with these woman.  Push their lifestyles and other stuff.  Hybrid the mags... so you get a fusion of training with a litte Vogue and Teen Miss.   Does the IFBB use marketing firms to assist in this process... or did they go dinosaur after the WWE failed and kept their little market shares under wrap?   

Anyway... all the credit in the world goes to Shawn.  The key is to learn from the mistakes that happen.  Live and you learn.
Oh...Monica!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Gymnastics is HUGE.  And costs are very low to do them.  My friend in Honolulu wanted me to do a National Championships in Honolulu.  In Dallas they packed the stadium with 40,000 people.  Each kid pays around $190 to enter.  They get a certificate, and a windbreaker.  So figure out the profit on that.  And sponsors come begging to get involved.  It's teenage girls for gods sake.  Denver has allot fo thing going .  Find out what is the most popular sports and activites and build.  Plus Sean cannot live in LA and do a show in Denver and expect to put in 100%.  Just not possible.  You have to live where you put on a show or the costs of going back and forth add up plus living there will give him more pull when he finds local sponsors.  But what do I know.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
yes,  teen cheerleading championships across the south draw thousands of pedophiles

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
Gymnastics is HUGE.  And costs are very low to do them.  My friend in Honolulu wanted me to do a National Championships in Honolulu.  In Dallas they packed the stadium with 40,000 people.  Each kid pays around $190 to enter.  They get a certificate, and a windbreaker.  So figure out the profit on that.  And sponsors come begging to get involved.  It's teenage girls for gods sake.  Denver has allot fo thing going .  Find out what is the most popular sports and activites and build.  Plus Sean cannot live in LA and do a show in Denver and expect to put in 100%.  Just not possible.  You have to live where you put on a show or the costs of going back and forth add up plus living there will give him more pull when he finds local sponsors.  But what do I know.

He can get rid of the Vegas condo and get one in Denver.  That should cover that!  If fitness has some of the characteristics of cheerleading and gymnastics, then you have a building block to better promote.  Then find away to attract young females.  Tanji is doing a lot of promotion.  Maybe... she should hit a high school or two.  Maybe... they can add Jr Fitness 13-17 and Petite Fitness 8-12yrs of age.  The powers set and hire the right people and companies to set the ground work.  It can work.  Something like that might oopen up the industry... but the few players that are making money bbing, fit and fig might turn a head on that one b/c it would bring in corporate competition.
Oh...Monica!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
yes,  teen cheerleading championships across the south draw thousands of pedophiles

Never thought about that.  Cna you imagine all the pedophiles and gays together in one place.  Oh my!

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Sorry no way in hell.  Well yes there is. First off 5000 people would make it the highest live audience of any BB show of the year.  The ASC had 2800+.  No way in the world can you say a show like the ASC or the Olympia will be oudone by a show in Denver with not one big name. 

Here is the scoop.  Sean is an IFBB Living Legend as he was called at the show.  You would think with all this pretisge and power he would have been able to get some kind of support from all the friends he has.  And as much as itpains me to say this, Sean would get that many people if he advertised and brought in Arnold to emcee his show or play a major part in it.  Sorry but the Srnold name sells sells sells and sells more.  That is a fact.  Even bringing in Louie and promoting he will be at the expo to sign autographs for free would bring in allot of people.  No matter what people like to see Louie.  He was an icon at one time and people do remember that.  Sean would have to pay him on the side so that he would not be able to sell his autogrpah or pictures for more than $5.  Other than that or bring in a major movie star, athlete(s) there is no way this show will get really big while in Denver.  With all the promotion Sean did I would think most people in the Denver area knew about the show.  That is taking into account Sean did a great job of prmoting it and got it in the avenues to hit most everybody.  Now if they all knew and only this many people came, how many more can you expect to come next time.  What will be different to convince someone who doesn't like BB enough to come to the first show to come to the next one.  The expo is really the only part of the show that can grow and make this show a huge success.  More events, more things to do and targeting a wider market.  Targeting just BB lovers and people in the gym will NOT make this show bigger or a success.

I agree.  Part of the problem is the product.  Pro shows used to be able to attract a crowd back in the day, because the bodies were something to aspire to and it had a certain degree of professionalism and not just disorganized madness.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Never thought about that.  Cna you imagine all the pedophiles and gays together in one place.  Oh my!
yeah 15 dollars each and everybody plays pocket pool

MFITCHICK21

• Pros
  • Getbig II

Speaking from athletes perspective I thought the show was run great. Everyone I spoke to was very happy with the show in general, the venue, staff, and overall organization. I see this show growing every year!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Shawn Ray: First experience as a promoter?
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2006, 06:24:57 PM »
Onlyme, making his 100 th Sean Ray Comparision!
Anyone starting to see the weirdness is his O B S E S S I O N with me or am I simply trippin............ ???

Huh? OBSESSION? I think your the one that would know the most about the word obsession. One word: Kamali.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Shawn - marketing next year's colo pro
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2006, 06:35:41 PM »
Sure, I'm on getbig a lot.  There are a lot of opportunities here! And it's interesting conversation. I learn a lot about not only the BBing industry, but also diverse views of many.  Seriously, if you're not just goofing off, you can learn a ton about people here. It's interesting- almost like a little colony of people that are remarkably different yet loosely held together by their love of the sport and/or getting in shape.  It's an interesting place.

Seems like Denial is not only a river in Egypt.

Snap out of it,

or get consumed.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Shawn Ray's First Experiences as a Promoters
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2006, 11:46:06 PM »
Wow, what a freakin butthead.  How do you sleep at night 240?  There has got to be times you regret some of the complete BS that you type :-X