Author Topic: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?  (Read 58951 times)

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
just wondering if anyone knows what was said in that confrontation backstage at the 1980 mr O...or any of the details...thanks in advance

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 03:21:02 PM »
Something about Arnold entering the contest at the last minute and calling Mike Mentzer fat.
just push some weight!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »
To make a long story short, the participants voted to eliminate the 2 weight classes. Arnie was the only one that wanted to keep the split and Boyer Coe asked him why. Arnie make some tuff guy remarks to him and Mentzer told him to cool it. Arnie told Mike he lost to Robbie Robinson in a past show because he was too fat and Mentzer blew his stack. Arnie being the pussy he is backed down. ;D
X

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »
To make a long story short, the participants voted to eliminate the 2 weight classes. Arnie was the only one that wanted to keep the split and Boyer Coe asked him why. Arnie make some tuff guy remarks to him and Mentzer told him to cool it. Arnie told Mike he lost to Robbie Robinson in a past show because he was too fat and Mentzer blew his stack. Arnie being the pussy he is backed down. ;D

lol it says in Arnold's book that he was quite a brawler!
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:22:37 PM »
lol it says in Arnold's book that he was quite a brawler!

That was a misprint.  It was meant to say "baller" (as in cry baby)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »
pussy? no way. he was breaking his balls and all he wanted was for the guy to melt down.

Slick Vic

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 06:47:03 PM »
Funny that there are actual pictures of Arnold sitting (some claim he sat when Mike approached him) and Mike practically standing over him pointing his finger.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 05:33:17 AM »
Mike owned Arnie  ;D
X

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 12:00:22 PM »
Funny that there are actual pictures of Arnold sitting (some claim he sat when Mike approached him) and Mike practically standing over him pointing his finger.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 02:09:38 PM »
Great photo. I bet if Mentzer had stepped closer, Waller would have stood up and crushed him. Waller was a braller, who would mix it up. ;D
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:47 PM »
If I recall right, I think it was Arnold himself who was supposedly promoting that contest and his last minute entry pissed Mike off immensely.

I had frequent talks with Mike after that contest and he had nothing  but contempt for Arnold and always felt that the show was predetermined due to Arnold's friendship with Weider.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 05:36:36 PM »
arnold's got an obscenely big chest. he's all chest in that pic.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 09:50:12 PM »
Is that Kenny sitting down.  It doesn't look like him.  Is it?  Anyway yes Kenny is a brawler and likes to fight.  At least he used to.  I have told the story of him chasing the car a couple times on here.  It definitely showed he like to fight.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »
Yes, I'm almost positive that's him sitting on the floor giving Mentzer the Stink-eye.  ;D. Kent Keuhn told me stories about Waller's ability to mix it up.
a

BallzDeep69

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »
Great photo. I bet if Mentzer had stepped closer, Waller would have stood up and crushed him. Waller was a braller, who would mix it up. ;D

Definetly.  Waller was alot bigger and probably stronger than Mentzer and has the fiery attitude alot of red-headed guys tend to have.  Waller was known for his freakish strength back in the day!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 01:12:23 AM »
That guy sitting down has such small legs and arms.  He kind of looks like him.  Can anyone definitely say thats Kenny.  I will call him tommorrow and find out.  I trained with him numerous times back in the late 70's and early 80's and I keep looking at that pic and I just don't see it.  A little but......... I will find out.  But, yes I think Kenny could hav taken Arnold and Mike and I think Mike could have taken Arnold.  Arnold was not a fighter or tough guy.  He was a good talker and talked his way out of shit.  And he was never alone most of the time.  At least when I saw him.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 07:13:57 AM »
That guy sitting down has such small legs and arms.  He kind of looks like him.  Can anyone definitely say thats Kenny.  I will call him tommorrow and find out.  I trained with him numerous times back in the late 70's and early 80's and I keep looking at that pic and I just don't see it.  A little but......... I will find out.  But, yes I think Kenny could hav taken Arnold and Mike and I think Mike could have taken Arnold.  Arnold was not a fighter or tough guy.  He was a good talker and talked his way out of shit.  And he was never alone most of the time.  At least when I saw him.

It says in his unauthorized biography that Arnold was quite the brawler in his youth.
just push some weight!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 07:19:59 AM »
YES, that is Waller.

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 08:55:03 AM »
Yep that's the Big Red Machine!

Keith you mentioned that you would call him. If you haven't talked to Ken in awhile that might be an exercise in futility.
Bill Grant on his last trip out to LA tried to get a hold of Ken. He called Extreme Activewear where Ken worked and they told Bill that he didn't work there anymore and as soon as his house sold he was moving back east with his son.
No one seems to know where he ended up, St Louis perhaps? (I believe his sister lives there)

I interviewed Ken for Ironage a year or so ago and this is the last update that I know of.
http://ironage.us/articles/preston-waller.html
Raw-Iron.com

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 09:03:22 AM »
Keith stop doubting it....it's Waller 100%

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
Yep that's the Big Red Machine!

Keith you mentioned that you would call him. If you haven't talked to Ken in awhile that might be an exercise in futility.
Bill Grant on his last trip out to LA tried to get a hold of Ken. He called Extreme Activewear where Ken worked and they told Bill that he didn't work there anymore and as soon as his house sold he was moving back east with his son.
No one seems to know where he ended up, St Louis perhaps? (I believe his sister lives there)

I interviewed Ken for Ironage a year or so ago and this is the last update that I know of.
http://ironage.us/articles/preston-waller.html

Jeff your writting style is like a cross word puzzle.. you gotta decipher every sentence and try to make sense of  it. Stop using the thesaurus and get to the point dammit!
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
okay then I won 't call him.  I thought it would be nice to talk to him a little, but if he don't work there anymore forget it.  thanks

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 04:47:15 PM »
It's clear he doesn't want to be seen-no pics that i've seen after the 1970s, noticable absence at the Pumping Iron re-release with everyone else there.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »
I saw allot in the 80's.  We trained a few times together and went to lunch.  He came into the club I was bouncing at all the time.  It was so funny cause he would see me at a restaurtant or movie or just out and it just so happen he would almost always see me with a different girl.  He would tell the girl to watch out for me and to make sure to use protection.  he would say that in a normal voice with people around or not.  Veyr embarrasing.  He had the best tank tops.  KW Enterprises.  Then he went to work for ExtremeWear.  Then I saw him at shows and talked to him on the phone when I had to order some shirts.  I haven't talked to him in maybe a year or so.  SO I had no idea he had left Extreme.  I'll never forget, me Manny Perry, Ron Depolito watching him chase that car down the street to beat up those kids.  That was so funny

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 08:03:44 AM »

It's odd you would say that. I always got the same impression from that photo . . . sort of a Volume vs.H.I.T ( Boyer was using Mentzers methods then  and was pissed at Arnold ) old school vs new school thing.

I think Waller would have been a bastard to start with, there are pics of him using 150's in the incline bell press in the early 70's. He was as strong as the come and if he liked to mix it up, it would have been a nasty combo. One only Ronnie Abston might have been able to deal with.

The Beef