Author Topic: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?  (Read 58958 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: what was the arnold/mentzer confrontation about at the 80 olympia?
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2006, 06:21:52 AM »
Get a brain dipshit and realise we're talking about MM here, and his '80 Mr O victory

Tear yourself away from your Mentzer posters long enough to finally accept that he was never as good as you thought; in reality he was only in the top 4-5 guys in the world at the time, hardly the dominator your fantasies suggest. ;D

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2006, 07:26:14 AM »
Tear yourself away from your Mentzer posters long enough to finally accept that he was never as good as you thought; in reality he was only in the top 4-5 guys in the world at the time, hardly the dominator your fantasies suggest. ;D

When I did say otherwise? MM was not the best BB of his era, just the best at the '80 O.
Team Goodrum!

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2006, 10:07:44 AM »
Too bad "golden" can't get his simply BB facts straight. hahahahahaha

LOL@simply. Too bad your myopic vision sees inferior BBers like skinny Zane and chickenlegged Arnold as being superior, hahahaha!
Team Goodrum!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »
LOL@simply. Too bad your myopic vision sees inferior BBers like skinny Zane and chickenlegged Arnold as being superior, hahahaha!

Don't worry about Pumpster. He's a fanatic who hates Dorian Yates and anything associated with him. Mentzer coached Dorian; ergo, Pumpster hates him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »
  Don't worry about Pumpster. He's a fanatic who hates Dorian Yates and anything associated with him. Mentzer coached Dorian; ergo, Pumpster hates him.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Thanks, that explains Pumpster's mind-bogglingly deficient contest insight. That kid should NEVER judge any contest, ever!
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2006, 11:36:51 AM »
SUCKY's reknowned for faulty logic-one has nothing to do with the other, so that's an interesting jump in logic once again. ;D

Thanks, that explains Pumpster's mind-bogglingly deficient contest insight. That kid should NEVER judge any contest, ever!
Let's rely on "golden" the Mentzer guy he's not at all biased in his worshipping! hahahahaahahah

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »
Pumpster's reknowned for faulty logic-one has nothing to do with the other, so that's an interesting jump in logic once again. ;D

Let's rely on "Pumpster" the Mentzer nuthater/closet fag - he's not at all biased in his worshipping!  ::) hahahahaahahah

Why do you always sabotage yourself kid? ;)

Team Goodrum!

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »
Let's watch "golden showers" prove once again that he absolutely, positively must have the last word..only confirms that we have a Mentzer freak bereft of objectivity. Boring too, unless I help him dodder along as i've been doing.  :P

Haha, the only "golden showers" around here boy, are the ones you take off your boyfriend. The fact that you bring in all sorts of outside trash (Mentzer's theories, other BBers who were screwed) like a il' pussy homo only drives home further the fact that you've been majorly OWNED. Now bow down and worship at my feet; we aren't all laughing with you kid - we're chortling at you and yer bum brain.
Team Goodrum!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2006, 12:51:41 PM »
Hey guys no fighting in here.  This is the only board on GetBig that doesn't have it.  So don't make me erase stuff. Can you believe I am saying this.  It's because the past is sacred and EVERYONE should respect the guys from the past.  They paved the roads for everyone else. 

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »
Golden Showers just can't resist, has kneepads out and ready for more on Mentzer, who was always very good but never great.

Haha, stop fantasizing about other men like that...I know you're a hopeless queer but you're shameless! ;D
Team Goodrum!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2006, 09:59:24 PM »
SUCKY's reknowned for faulty logic-one has nothing to do with the other, so that's an interesting jump in logic once again. ;D

Yes, one hs nothing to do with the other. But not to you. You hate anyone who's ever been associated with Dorian, from Peter McGough to Mentzer. "Faulty logic"? How about you saying that Dorian only won the Olympia due to politics? This despite the fact that Dorian is both British and White. From a PR perspective, you can't go more wrong than "choosing" a White Ango-Saxon - from Britain, another country! - to represent your sport; it is far more politically correct to "choose" a Black national. So, there's you taking the cake for "faulty logic" once again. How about you claiming that McGough is biased in favor of Dorian, even though he said Ronnie's2001 ASC form was the best he's ever seen, and that he wrote a three page article criticizing Dorian's distended midsection from 1997? Once again, I'm no competition for you on the "faulty logic" category, Pumpster! ;)

Let's rely on "golden" the Mentzer guy he's not at all biased in his worshipping! hahahahaahahah

Mentzer's 1980 physique was a hell of a lot better than Ronnie's in either 2003 or 2004: at least he had a flat stomach and clearly separated abdominals and serratus, and didn't look like a nine months pregnant woman. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
Amen to that brother.
Team Goodrum!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »
Don't start with the race thing. If Dorian got any gifts it wasn't because he was white. Coleman got 2 gifts and Haney got one or two.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2006, 09:35:39 AM »
"Faulty logic"? How about you saying that Dorian only won the Olympia due to politics? This despite the fact that Dorian is both British and White. From a PR perspective, you can't go more wrong than "choosing" a White Ango-Saxon - from Britain, another country! - to represent your sport; it is far more politically correct to "choose" a Black national.
SUCKY's cognitive difficulties embarassingly on display once again-I never said his fortune was entirely due to politics, dumbass.  Anyone with a brain bigger than Golden Shower the Mentzer ball washer or SUCKY can figure out that politics has played significant roles in contests INCLUDING the 1980 Olympia - in fact, ask Golden Shower about this SUCKY you stupid moron! In future I may have to tell him when it's ok to comment. ::)

Man the delusion just gets more and more intense-being black's an advantage? That even exceeds the way Golden perches proudly atop Mentzer's dick. haahahahahahaahahahahaha haahahah

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2006, 10:45:23 PM »
SUCKY's cognitive difficulties embarassingly on display once again-I never said his fortune was entirely due to politics, dumbass.  Anyone with a brain bigger than Golden Shower the Mentzer ball washer or SUCKY can figure out that politics has played significant roles in contests INCLUDING the 1980 Olympia - in fact, ask Golden Shower about this SUCKY you stupid moron! In future I may have to tell him when it's ok to comment. ::)

Man the delusion just gets more and more intense-being black's an advantage? That even exceeds the way Golden perches proudly atop Mentzer's dick. haahahahahahaahahahahaha haahahah

Hey kiddo, welcome back. :) I thought ya died or something. :'(
Team Goodrum!

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »

LOL, M E L T D O WN. Hehe, think of all all the misguided, girly rage, fear and energy that went into that post! :o
Team Goodrum!

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2006, 11:02:28 PM »
Haha, now "Pumpster" you tiny turd, listen up boy. Like I said previously, stop fantasizing about other men like the lil' fag you are and get some smarts. Right now, you're at the level of a tard. You've been blown out of the water and been proven as a biased fraud/fake. You're not a BBer, you're just a frustrated teenage wannabe who just got rejected for the prom by erven the fattest gal in class, the Jumbo Dumbo. Now kindly get out of my garden and stop licking my dog's balls or he'll call the Animal Police (led by the one and only Vince G himself) on ya! Consider yerself warned ya fag! ;D 
Team Goodrum!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »
I'm not the one rhapsodizing about a very good but over-hyped Mentzer. Feel free to get off those kneepads after your latest shower you fag.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2006, 08:34:51 AM »
what i find interesting re mentzer:

he was very unorthodox with his training contrasting the dogma of the time. Perhaps not quite as much as he later (post retirement) prescribed, but unorthodox at the time.

this included his nutrition.

I remember reading excerpts from his daily diary eg a cantaloup for breakfast and such. he'd have been lucky to get 50 grms of protein a day.

the guy was fearless, but he sure as hell backed it up on stage. he had alot of dense muscle and he was SHREDDED.

standing next to guys that were alot more excessive about training and eating he very much held his own in the muscle mass dept.

i know that mentzer was taking gear like everyone else but, hell, aren't ya supposed to take in more protein with gear???

very interesting. there should be more mentzers in the world. challenge everything. if it's written in stone, all the more reason to challenge it.

R.I.P the great Mike Mentzer

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2006, 08:49:03 AM »
Supposedly it was the difference in training philisophies as well as personal dislikes. A little surprising if true-apparently Schwarzenegger got bent out of shape about Mentzer's training and how it discredited Arnold's approach, which seems more than a little small.

Personally it would be easy to dislike Schwarzenegger with the arrogance, BS and non-stop need for an ever-present side-kick to whisper negatives about others to. There is just the slightest  split-second's glimpse of Mentzer in Pumping Iron: being ignored while drinking a supplement at the Gold's Gym counter when Arnold comes in.
  Ya but just remember that Mentzer was a no=body back then.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »
Mentzer was mad because Arnold entered the contest at the very last minute. The rules stated that all competitors must register 3 weeks prior to the contest - this rule was obviously waived for Arnold. You see Conan was supposed to start filming in 1981, however that date was brought forward unexpectedly. The first scenes were to be shot in August 1980. In addition, Universal, the films distributor was going to use thise footage as a promo along with it's Christmas release of Flash Gordon. All of a sudden, Arnold had to get big, and fast. The best way to get big - and to get attention doing so - was to attempt the unthinkable: to make a comeback! You see Arnold was scheduled to arrive in Sydney as a TV Commentator only - so you can imagine everyone's surpise when he registered to compete at the very last minute. Mentzer was pissed.  Reg Park was also put in a precarious position as he was one of the judges and of course him and Arnold were very close. Paul Graham was the promoter of that event and him and Arnold were also very close - he is the big guy who pulls Arnold in and hugs him in the very beginning of the movie Pumping Iron. The argument between Arnold and Mike Mentzer was over the fact that Boyer Coe was instrumental in getting the IFBB rules changed for the 1980 Olympia so that instead of a winner being chosen from the best of two weight classes he would emerge from six all-comer finalists. Arnold was the only one who objected to this. Arnold wanted only two weight classes, that way there is only one man to beat. Mentzer got pissed and told Arnold that he was acting like a baby and Arnold said to Mike, " If your belly wasn't as big as your mouth, then maybe you would have a chance at this event". Mike then jumped up and got in Arnold's face and Arnold just sat cooly and laughed it off...Classic example of mental psyche-out which Arnold was famous for since it almost always worked. Needless to say, Mentzer was not a threat to Arnold's throne as Mike ended up third, behind Chris Dickerson. If anyone had a chance to beat Arnold it was Chris and not Mike.
You got the Pauls mixed up, that was Grant.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
I agree with Beast8692. Mentzers always looked more masculiine, dense and powerful than a lot of other guy's at that time, even with that mustache. Sort of like the Paul brothers were different in their look and approach to training. Nice to have someone who was unique in the BB'ing world rather than follow the same oh, same oh that most of them did back than (and even these days). Arnold is Arnold. Sergio is Serigo. And Mentzer is Mentzer. All with their own approach to what was  good and worked for them.

Onlyme: Maybe some of these old men who come here just to argue could be deleated to the trash can rather than taking up space and boring everyone else. Senseless at times. Aloha.

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2006, 01:42:28 AM »
I'm not the one rhapsodizing about a very good but over-hyped Mentzer. Feel free to get off those kneepads after your latest shower you fag.

LOL, rhapsodizing? You kids make me laugh so hard. I'm just calling it as it is sonny boy....what a sad lil' homo tard you are. Now get back to scrubbing the toilets and begging the house canines for somemore doggy nad action; some guests (maybe Roy Callender) will be coming tomorrow for a visit and the loo needs to be spotlessly clean. You've been owned so bad even your momma can feel your anus bleed that's why you're in the subservient position you're in now.
Team Goodrum!

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:46 AM »
what i find interesting re mentzer:

he was very unorthodox with his training contrasting the dogma of the time. Perhaps not quite as much as he later (post retirement) prescribed, but unorthodox at the time.

this included his nutrition.

I remember reading excerpts from his daily diary eg a cantaloup for breakfast and such. he'd have been lucky to get 50 grms of protein a day.

the guy was fearless, but he sure as hell backed it up on stage. he had alot of dense muscle and he was SHREDDED.

standing next to guys that were alot more excessive about training and eating he very much held his own in the muscle mass dept.

i know that mentzer was taking gear like everyone else but, hell, aren't ya supposed to take in more protein with gear???

very interesting. there should be more mentzers in the world. challenge everything. if it's written in stone, all the more reason to challenge it.

R.I.P the great Mike Mentzer

You can't take Mentzer's low-protein approach seriously due to the anabolics involved if you're a natural.
Team Goodrum!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2006, 06:51:03 AM »
yep, that's my point. anabolics are SUPPOSED to help you assimilate and synthesize higher intakes of protein.

this is anabolics 101.

In actual fact, naturals need far less protein.

i honestly don't know the nutritional requirements of the contemporary drug assisted bodybuilder (has there actually been any non-weider influenced/funded research on this subject?)

we've all had too much weider bullshit forced down our throats for too many years, but mentzer had the courage to challenge the protocol which is probably his most significant achievement.

weider has committed the greatest fraud ever in the fitness industry. he has sold his bullshit philosophy (building a billion dollar industry) since the 40's and propped up his heavily juiced bodybuilders as proof of it's efficiency, when in fact the real truth lied in pharmacology.