Author Topic: how many times a week can you work the same muscle?  (Read 3732 times)

ZEEK

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • WTF this stuff really works
how many times a week can you work the same muscle?
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:16:40 PM »
is it possable to workout the same muscle twice a week?

example: can you do a heavy day on arms like on Monday

and then a light day say on Thursday?

I was reading this RUSSIAN workout program and I wasn't convinced

so I am asking.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: how many times a week can you work the same muscle?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
You can work it as much as you want. You can even work it everyday like the guy with the worlds largest chest. But I think he only does bench press. My advice to you is to try out which split is better for you. You sound like a beginer so here is a basic program you can try:

morning: upper body
evening: lower body
night: forearms

Repeat every day until you gain the size you where after.
just push some weight!

ZEEK

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • WTF this stuff really works
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
lol no Im not a beginer, but thanks

i was following up on a article i read.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:16:51 PM »
You can work it as much as you want. You can even work it everyday like the guy with the worlds largest chest. But I think he only does bench press. My advice to you is to try out which split is better for you. You sound like a beginer so here is a basic program you can try:

morning: upper body
evening: lower body
night: forearms

Repeat every day until you gain the size you where after.

Wow, what an awesome, revelutionary triple-split routine. No wonder Alexxx has advanced faster than any bodybuilder ever!
The House that Ruth built

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 05:22:55 PM »
Wow, what an awesome, revelutionary triple-split routine. No wonder Alexxx has advanced faster than any bodybuilder ever!
man is he ever stupid... it's almost unbelievable... ::)

nycteen90

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »
HOw do you know it is safe to work the same muscle, to avoid overtraining. Can you train it if it's still sore? My friends do this they say thats how its supposed be to but I thought that when its sore the muscle is still recovering and growing I usually wait until 5-7 days before training same muscle, is this too long?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 05:50:16 PM »
man is he ever stupid... it's almost unbelievable... ::)

Why you calling bmacy names? She's cool!  >:(
just push some weight!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »
::) ::) ::)

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
is it possable to workout the same muscle twice a week?

example: can you do a heavy day on arms like on Monday

and then a light day say on Thursday?

I was reading this RUSSIAN workout program and I wasn't convinced

so I am asking.

Training frequency really depends on the workload and level of intesity trained on the previous workout.

It's been my experience that training each bodypart no more than once a week works best (I'm assuming we're talking about training for hypertrophy).

However, if your dying to get in the gym and train, here's a general rule of thumb (although NOT ideal): If your bodypart is still sore from the previous workout, then you shouldn't train it again. It hasn't completely recovered from the previous workout.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 08:23:45 PM »
2-3 times a week using moderate numbers of sets works for many.

BallzDeep69

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »
Yeah maybe if you are doing once exercise per bodypart.

I think light days are gay.  It's better to train heavy then wait long enough for the bodypart to recover then hit it even heavier if possible.  Dumb light days just slow things down, unless you are going ridiculously light just to flush some of the soreness away, but I wouldn't even consider that working out.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 03:45:46 AM »
Yeah maybe if you are doing once exercise per bodypart.

I think light days are gay.  It's better to train heavy then wait long enough for the bodypart to recover then hit it even heavier if possible.  Dumb light days just slow things down, unless you are going ridiculously light just to flush some of the soreness away, but I wouldn't even consider that working out.
i do not agree.  i train arms with light and heavy days, hitting them twice a week.  I have made an enormous amount of progress this way because the "light" day really let's me focus on squeezing the muscle contraction, while the heavy day allows me to be a bit looser with my form

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 05:13:25 AM »

He was talking about you! I ain't a she either.
The House that Ruth built

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 06:37:24 AM »
You will always get a million answers to this kind of question. After 35 years of training, I can tell you that the best routine I ever did was a 4 times a week each bodypart routine that was in Flex about 5 months ago (with Ronnie on the cover)--------I did it for about 5 weeks and experienced the best gains of any routine ever------I did not change my eating habits one bit, and I was already training in full stride, so the routine alone was responsible for my gains (gained 3/8" on my arms alone !!! )       ;)

P.S. It was only 3 good hard sets per bodypart each workout, but I must confess I only worked legs once or twice a week-----upper body got 4 times a week.  It worked !!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
He was talking about you! I ain't a she either.

My bad..  :-\
just push some weight!

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 10:52:57 AM »
you can fast twitch muscle  up to 4-5 times a week. like calves and abs. forearms maybe twice. but unlike abs and calves, your forearms does inpact   most upper body movements. there's really no  need to work things more then once a week unless your train for a goal i.e. contest or etc.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
most upper body movements. there's really no  need to work things more then once a week unless your train for a goal
Most of the greats have not ascribed to that assumption.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 12:44:40 PM »
You can not work the same muscle everyday. Only if you are a genetic freak.  Some people can do each muscle twice per week. It depends on the person. Ive tried both twice a weak and once a week.  Still the best gains come from once a week.  Even most guys on roids will do once a week as well.  Experiment.  The key to growth is for the muscle to recupperate.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 02:13:28 PM »
i hit every muscle once every 6 days,its been working good for me,i feel more recovered and stronger
R

BallzDeep69

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
i do not agree.  i train arms with light and heavy days, hitting them twice a week.  I have made an enormous amount of progress this way because the "light" day really let's me focus on squeezing the muscle contraction, while the heavy day allows me to be a bit looser with my form

You'd make better gains if you just combined both types in the same workout, and let it recover. 

For instance, for my biceps I do

Dumbell curls - 6-8 reps heavy  Some body english especially on the last few reps in the last set

Concentration curls - 10 reps - Pretty strict, always squeezing the contraction and a little cheating on the last set to get my 10 reps in.

Hammer curls - 12-15 reps - Just about completely strict and focusing on the squeeze in my Brachs, continuous tension.

You can go heavy and get a little loose with the form and STILL focus on the contraction.  Atleast I can...

I have made steroid-like progress with my biceps doing it this way as opposed to twice a week, heavy light days...  Without being on steroids of course!