Author Topic: training tris with all free weights??  (Read 4947 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Re: training tris with all free weights??
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »
mmmm im not a big proponet of "spotting".....
i like to move my own weight... most times i train alone anyway...
on arms especially i dont believe in spotting...... i think spotting is an ajar door for ego lifting... see king kamali for reference..
if i say i can moove 315 on the bench press.. i nmean i can move it.. not someone.. yanking it off me.. like i see so often on the gym...
i do use the rest pause... technique....
drop sets.. and im a big proponent of supersets and drop sets
where i will use one weight till i cant get anotherrep.. drop the wight.. keep pumping.. and so on... and so on...
choice is an illusion

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 05:31:08 PM »
definatley an awesome way to train. I don't do superset-dropsets on everything or all the time but in some cases they really do their damage.
bodybuildersreality.com

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »
Find yourself a person that knows how to spot you meso.I don't know how many times as you say i've seen a spotter do the work for the trainer.A good spotter will basically just lightly touch the bar.Amazing how psychologically just that spotter touching the bar will aid the trainer get the weight up by themselves.Don't know how many times i've been asked when spotting how much i helped in the lift.My answer is always no, you did it all yourself to which they can't believe.Spotters should only be there for when the person completely reaches muscular failure imo.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 02:35:44 AM »
yup... my personal rule (because I train alone) is that when i ask someone to spot me i also tell them not to touch the bar until i ask... usually it works out well... if they make it too easy, i rack it, politely explain what they did, rest for 30 seconds and do another set

adadrian

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 05:18:04 AM »
as far as im concerned you can get massive just on free weights

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
Basically with someone you don't know expect a spot that's too vigorous, not as good as you'd like-but a lot better than nothing.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 09:35:22 AM »
When using a spotter, on the bench for example, a good spotter doesn't have to touch the bar to help with a tough set. Just the appearance of having the hands under or around the bar can help a lot of guy's complete the lift. If touching the bar is require, when the lifter slow's a bit or even stops raising the bar, than just the finger tips should apply a light pressure upwards. A lot of spotters will have their hands over, rather than under the bar, that can be a personal choice. If serious doubt arises that the lifter will not make a full rep and the bar travels back down even a inch or so, than that's the time for the spotter to grab the bar and help rack it. In a few rare cases a spotter may obtain a back injury due to the overextending of his body when attempting to grab an unexpected failure of a bench presser. Spotting for someone else will require full attention from the spotter (in other words, the catcher). Though tempting, it's not the time for checking out the booty call.

At my gym, when heavy benching, we will usually have one spotters on each side of the bar to catch the bar if needed. Also for squating. If people have a power rack for training than this will rid the need for on hands spotting when doing lockouts, dead stops, etc.. Those safety racks (stands), in my view, are not worth much at all. Good Luck.