Author Topic: training tris with all free weights??  (Read 4946 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
training tris with all free weights??
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »
hey guys
I'm looking for a new triceps routine that has mostly all or has just free weights.. I  know, that to train tris. its mainly  calbes or machines. i dont get alot out of weighted dips anymore. the belt that i use isn't a dipping belt but just my own personal  weight belt. the belt can only hold up to  2 plates. I've done 20 reps with that 2 plates. I've tryed putting on more weights but it just  drops out of the belt. when i get up to start the movement. same with pushdowns. I've worked myself up to  200lbs weight stack. i know that u guys might say do it on the lat pulldowns machine. but its not the same feeling for me.

this is my current routine
close grip bench press  1werm up 3 working set
lying ext. 1werm up  3 working set
weighted dips 3 working sets
pushdowns 3 working

thx guys

go pistons!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: training tris with all free weights??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
hey guys
I'm looking for a new triceps routine that has mostly all or has just free weights.. I  know, that to train tris. its mainly  calbes or machines. i dont get alot out of weighted dips anymore. the belt that i use isn't a dipping belt but just my own personal  weight belt. the belt can only hold up to  2 plates. I've done 20 reps with that 2 plates. I've tryed putting on more weights but it just  drops out of the belt. when i get up to start the movement. same with pushdowns. I've worked myself up to  200lbs weight stack. i know that u guys might say do it on the lat pulldowns machine. but its not the same feeling for me.

this is my current routine
close grip bench press  1werm up 3 working set
lying ext. 1werm up  3 working set
weighted dips 3 working sets
pushdowns 3 working

thx guys

go pistons!

on pushdowns you can pin plates into the stack.  my stack can pin one 45 in, some can do 2 though.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:09:56 PM »
Stop being a pussy and do 6 sets of each!
just push some weight!

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 07:14:48 PM »
i throught about doing that a lot. but, when i try to pin plates to other machine exerises that i have to do i.e. leg ext and seated calbe rows. it was all bad. its easy with the smaller plates like 5s and 10s but 25s-45s are rough.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:21 PM »
One would be weighted bench dips instead of dips-less weight is needed and the weight can be held on the lap in the form of plates or a dumbbell. Better triceps pump than dips IMO.

To continue doing regular dips, loop a resistance band around the shoulders, behind the neck and down under the hands-much easier, tremendous pump, greater range of resistance easily available.

Another would be close-grip pushups, with a resistance band around the back and down under the hands. Or try close-grip benches on either a Smith machine or one of the older vertical leg-press machines, with the hands at angles as with close-grip pushups.

Also could substitute seated extensions or bent over rope extensions using the lat tower pulley, in lieu of lying extensions.

Re: pushdowns, use a rope extension-won't be able to use as much weight. Ensure that the grip is wide at the bottom of the movement.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »
One would be weighted bench dips instead of dips-less weight is needed and the weight can be held on the lap in the form of plates or a dumbbell. Better triceps pump than dips IMO.

To continue doing regular dips, loop a resistance band around the shoulders, behind the neck and down under the hands-much easier, tremendous pump, greater range of resistance easily available.

Another would be close-grip pushups, with a resistance band around the back and down under the hands. Or try close-grip benches on either a Smith machine or one of the older vertical leg-press machines, with the hands at angles as with close-grip pushups.

Also could substitute seated extensions or bent over rope extensions using the lat tower pulley, in lieu of lying extensions.

Re: pushdowns, use a rope extension-won't be able to use as much weight. Ensure that the grip is wide at the bottom of the movement.
hahahaha, resistance bands.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
That must be why they use bands to pump up backstage-because they don't work. hahahahahhahahah

Actually they're very effective & are more convenient, for anyone with more of an open-mind than this ass, who really never has anything to say.

Sarcasm, make sure to get back with some useful info-that was your intent, no? ::)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 01:44:24 AM »
hey guys

Sounds like you need to get a real dip belt. I bought a heavy duty leather dip belt from bodybuilding.com for like $30. If you're that pressed for cash, just use a rope or cable to hold the weight.

Decline benches with a shoulder width grip should mimic the action of a weighted dip. Prone triceps extensions are also an extremely effective tricep exercise.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 06:20:10 PM »
Less is more.Do just the close grips & lying tricep extensions for 3-4 sets not counting warmups.Try for 8-12 reps w/as much weight as you can control w/proper form.They'll grow!use your own preference if you prefer for the exercises but try to stay or keep 1 at least that is a compound exercise & go heavy w/it.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »
@sculpter
people always say that...
when it comes to triceps....
but my my tris are good but my bis are great... so i always put more effrt in my tri's.. my bis grow wheteher i work em or not...
i think less is more for tris for people with extra ordinar genes for tris..
like levrone
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:17:32 AM »
think less is more for tris for people with extra ordinar genes for tris..
like levrone

Actually less is more in a workout is generally true for anyone. What you want to do is take 2 exercises, one from each of the following groups, and do 3-4 explosive all-out sets of each, going to failure and sometimes beyond. More effort in less sets:

1/ GC bench with E-Z curl, bench dips, dips, dip machine, close-grip weighted pushups, pushdowns. 3-4 sets 8-12 reps, 1 minute max. rest between sets.

2/ Some form of seated or lying two-handed extensions using either the end of one dumbbell, E-Z curl bar, or hammer-grip bar. 3-4 sets, 8-12 reps, 1 minute max. rest between sets.

Put MORE INTENSITY into LESS sets using the above. Always try to increase intensity by increasing reps or weight using either cheats, rest-pause, negatives, partials, etc.

Another thing to use sometimes is a superset of these two-try that and see which is better, or just alternate between straight sets one workout and supersets other workouts.

If you do this with high intensity, your tris will be blown out with 8 or less sets. At most you could add a couple of finishing/pumping sets on something else but the above is the key ingredient.

Other than that, instead of doing more in each workout, I'd instead suggest trying to work them 2 to 3 times a week, see what works.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
i train to failure on every excercise...
and i do sometimes 9 diff excercises for tris....
which i superset eith bi's
traininto failure on just 2 excercises .. would be like a warm up to me...
my body is just conditioned that way..
eg.. i can.. do dips with 4 plates for 10...
...and at the end of my tricep workout i can still dip with 4 plates.. same with back... i do regular chins at the beginning.... i always leave weighted chins for last...
trainin to failure each set all the time has conditioned my body... in a certain ay that if i dot volumn train i dont feel nothin
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »
i train to failure on every excercise...
and i do sometimes 9 diff excercises for tris....
which i superset eith bi's
traininto failure on just 2 excercises .. would be like a warm up to me...
my body is just conditioned that way..
eg.. i can.. do dips with 4 plates for 10...
...and at the end of my tricep workout i can still dip with 4 plates.. same with back... i do regular chins at the beginning.... i always leave weighted chins for last...
trainin to failure each set all the time has conditioned my body... in a certain ay that if i dot volumn train i dont feel nothin

9 exercises is absurd for size gains: you only need 2-3 exercises, and less sets done with more intensity. Training to failure's excellent but if you're looking for improvement, go further into negative failure using cheats, rest-pause, forced reps, etc. Doing that, the muscles will be friend in 7-8 sets, tops. You're doing volume training from the 1970s, which works but there are other more efficient means. If you want to improve be open-minded: increase the intensity further, using fewer sets. The higher the intensity, the less sets are needed.

Instead of keeping the sets high, try increasing training frequency to 2 or 3 times per week-shorter workouts done more regularly, with more intensity.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 12:50:44 PM »
every persons body is different and responds differently to certain stimulation pumpster
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
every persons body is different and responds differently to certain stimulation pumpster
Actually I've said repeatedly that it's important to explore many possibilities, absorb different methods, like sampling from a buffet. Keep what works..

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 01:45:22 PM »
i hear what ur sayin...
but goin to failure is the pinnacle of intensity to me...
i also train heavy and i pyramid up...
trust me 2 setson triceps... would be a waiste of time for me...
i have tried to cut down the volumn but volumn def works for me...

choice is an illusion

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »
i hear what ur sayin...
but goin to failure is the pinnacle of intensity to me...
i also train heavy and i pyramid up...
trust me 2 setson triceps... would be a waiste of time for me...
i have tried to cut down the volumn but volumn def works for me...

Volume works for everybody but pussies and girly men!
just push some weight!

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »
Try this exercise.

Lie on a bench with 2 dumbells palms facing towards each other. As you bring the dumbells towards your forehead, "supinate" your wrists so that your palms end up facing you at the bottom of the movement. On the way back up, "pronate" back to starting positions.

This takes the forearms and wrists out of the movement and really taxes the triceps. Start light because I've seen many a person try this and end up with the dumbells on their face! :-[

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »
Meso?,...I can relate to you on the tris not growing.I was in the exact same boat as yourself.Bis grow easily for me no matter what I do for them but the tris were always harder to get growing.Used to do 4 exercises of 8-12 reps but cut it down to 2-3 ex's w/last exercise being more of a shaping exercise & only 2 sets.8-9 sets total.Biggest difference for me?I got more into the mind/muscle connection of training the tris & they improved greatly.That is compared to before when it was more volume/more weight which wasn't working for me.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 10:15:01 AM »
I got more into the mind/muscle connection of training the tris & they improved greatly.That is compared to before when it was more volume/more weight which wasn't working for me.

Mind-muscle connection + greater intensity with less sets. Anyone who claims to maintain the same intensity using higher numbers of sets isn't being completely honest with themselves. More volume can still work, but less volume with more intensity with less sets is equally viable and more efficient use of time.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »
Mind-muscle connection + greater intensity with less sets. Anyone who claims to maintain the same intensity using higher numbers of sets isn't being completely honest with themselves. More volume can still work, but less volume with more intensity with less sets is equally viable and more efficient use of time.
i am being completely honest... my tris are extremely strong.. and i can keep goiing and going.... and going.... my finishing movements for tris.. on friday was lying cambered bar extensions... 4 sets to failure... wth a 45lb plate on each side.. super set with... 20 dips...
i really dont see how "intensity" is greater than going to failure every set..
everyone has there own definition of intensity....
whats yours?

choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »
I already mentioned this above-whatever your definition of intensity is, it can be increased further. If you do this, the muscles will be fried in short order. You say above you train to failure. Instead, go further, into negative failure. Doing that it doesn't take any time at all to wear down the tris.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 11:14:46 AM »
define... negative failure...please
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 02:16:12 PM »
You said you're going to failure, which probably means doing as many as you can unassisted. Negative failure would be doing more reps after reaching failure. For example, doing several rest-pause reps after reaching failure, or some cheats after reaching failure, or some partials, or negatives..all after you can't do any more reps on your own. If you do some of those the muscles will be fried.

If you say you're already doing that-do more of it! If you do enough, no more than moderate sets are needed. I get just as sore now from 6-8 sets of tri works as when I used to do double that.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
you do not have to get sore to be growing. My Tris seem to only get sore when I go super heavy in the rep range of 4-6, but I get a wicked pump from doing high reps so i just incorperate both usually.
bodybuildersreality.com