Author Topic: can you build a good chest without benching?/`  (Read 5313 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: can you build a good chest without benching?/`
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 11:53:43 AM »
But not the pure muscle size that loco is trying to convince every one of

JPM,
What are you talking about?  I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  Just go see for yourself.  LOL
Yes, you'll see guys who are 140lbs - 160lbs.  And you'll see guys who are 210lbs lean.  They are not all cut out of the same mold.  I never said they were 245lbs - 300lbs.  I've never seen a natural that big, though I'm not saying that it is absolutely impossible.

I could just see walking through a slum area and all the cool guy's are working out doing dips & chins rather than hustling for money, food or work
Oh, they do hustle for money.  No, they don't work for food.  They kill for money. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »
I'm with JPM, the bench press is over-hyped-works well for some but there are others that find either flys, dips or DB presses at various angles better based on body type. Try all types of exercises and decide what works.

go to the poorest parts of Venezuela and you'll see lots of guys walking around with very well built chests, biceps, triceps, forearms, backs and shoulders.  These guys can't afford drugs, supplements or a gym membership.  They live on rice, beans, eggs, some chicken when they can afford it, and mangos.  All they have is genetics, sheer determination, a set of parallel bars for dips and a high bar for pull ups.  They do dips a couple of different ways to develop their chest, tris and shoulders.

Of course. The bodyweight is secondary, the development's there if the work & genetics are in place. Could do any type of calisthenics such as dips, pushups and get appreciable size. Only for getting even bigger would more resistance and better nutrition be needed, I have no doubt they're impressive having seen same in other parts of the world using very basic means; the equation is actually quite simple.

BallzDeep69

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »
BB benches are not the best chest/pec exercise for the majority of trainee's. Way too much involvement and domination by the triceps & delts for a affective focused chest movement. Dips would rate (my personal view only) over the BP any time with regards to mass & chest size.

That's totally opposite for me.  Bench Presses really nail my chest and do almost nothing for my delts and tri's, while dips do nothing for my chest, but build my front delts and triceps stupendously.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »

That's totally opposite for me.  Bench Presses really nail my chest and do almost nothing for my delts and tri's, while dips do nothing for my chest, but build my front delts and triceps stupendously.
Start doing your dips leaning way forward, see if that doesn't stimulate your chest.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »

this has more to do with your form than anything else...

BallzDeep69

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
I can lean foward to where I'm nearly horizontal, elbows out, wide grip, lower for a full stretch, non-lockout style, controlled continous reps and guess what?  My pecs don't get jack!  Just my structure I guess.  I'm one of the people who respond great to Bench presses, Incline presses and dumbell flyes, just not dips.  Dips do wonders for my front delts and tri's that for sure!  My tri's get freaky fast.  That's why I only do pushdowns to maintain their size.

BIGphatBROCK

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 09:28:33 PM »
hey guys
I love the basic movements. but, i've always have,had problems with the bench press.... I'm always scared of droping the bar on my self... i would jump on the smith machine. but when ever i want to use the smith,someone's got like  5-6 set to go and i'm forced to go to the bar. the last time that i droped on myself was when i had a spoter spot me and he had no clue or something. instead of  lifting the bar up for the lift off. he rolled it of the supports instead. so, can i startr put on some more mas on my chest without barbell benching??

yes dumbbell bench

its actually better for developing your pectorals.

adadrian

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 09:44:03 PM »
i suppose if u do barbells on a bench

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
I would say it depends on your structure.

Myself....I can build chest muscles by looking at a barbell.

Believe it or not....I got most of my size through push-ups & when I was in the Marines...I had a SSgt in my Platoon that had a huge chest but did nothing but dips & push-ups & rarely lifted weights at all.

Not everyone is like this....& I would have to say to build a decent chest you need to incorporate presses either barbell or dumbbells.

that's very true i know some seals that never lift weight's and there weight varies from 210 to 270 and what they do is a routine of pull ups dips situps and pushups ten sets as fast as they can until they can do it in about 20 minutes give or take but you won't be able to do it that fast in the beggining.
but they also run 10 miles a day and swim just about as much

but if want to stick with weights try hammer strength

BallzDeep69

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006, 08:57:39 PM »
Navy Seals and Special Forces guys are genetic freaks, in alot of ways!

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006, 09:28:25 PM »
Navy Seals and Special Forces guys are genetic freaks, in alot of ways!

"Genetic" as in exceptional strength/mass, no way.  Cardio freaks, perhaps.

sugarbear

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2006, 10:24:31 PM »
mental freaks yeah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »
There is a SEAL recuitment/training site down here in San Deigo. The other one is on the east coast.  I've met quite a few of these gentlemen, along with some SWCC guy's. Some do lift heavy and a couple have trained at our club (pirvate membership requirements lifted for them). I've never known one to weigh much above 200lbs. Whatever the case, they all seem to be made out of the same mold, lean and muscular. They train for stamina (endurance & strength) I understand. Though their push-ups, dips, chins, bwt squats, etc wouldn't seem too demanding to the average BB'er, it the way they train non stop. Plus running and swimming, with extra gear on, is another training method. And then there's free fall jumping, rafting ,etc. All in all, a great bunch of guy's who have all my respect. But their prime factor by far is that  they are mentally tough. A few will retire or leave the Navy when enlistment time is up and go into Tri athlete training events in north county and San Diego it's self. Another fact about them; they do party extremely hard.

I've been lucky enought to be passed on some of their fighting techniques through the years. Actually fighting is a bad term, it's more like going through your enemy. You don't have time to spar or try to fake out the other guy. You objective to to accomplish a mission in the shortest time frame possible. And with  less fuss and noise. If someone is in you way you don't go around them, you go through them. I bounced a little while in college and worked at some events from The Valley to PB but never learn so many tricks that I learned from them. Good Luck

BallzDeep69

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 10:26:41 AM »
"Genetic" as in exceptional strength/mass, no way.  Cardio freaks, perhaps.

Did I say strength/mass?  NO.

They're freaks as in they could kill you and your whole family and not think twice about it.  They are machines.