Author Topic: wrapping up when bench?  (Read 1459 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
wrapping up when bench?
« on: June 06, 2006, 06:17:49 AM »
would it be smart to use wrist wraps and elbow braces when benching heavier? would it help any?  ???

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
Re: wrapping up when bench?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 06:33:31 AM »
Definitely couldn't hurt... A positive note it might lower your range of motion which in turn could take stress off of the shoulders. Thats if you go past parallel.
Giving 110%

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 06:34:41 AM »
it might help but after a while they will be a crutch and your wrists will get weaker and that will lead to injury.

8)

HICKSON

• Getbig IV
  • Bunch of slack-jaw fagg0ts round here.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »
it might help but after a while they will be a crutch and your wrists will get weaker and that will lead to injury.

8)

Very good point....   ;)
Giving 110%

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
wrap'n
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »
i wrap my knees for squats when i go heavy and probably dont need it...

the wrists i'll leave alone...but my elbows get real tight when i'm benching like my knees do so i tossed it up.  i was spotting a competitive power lifter yesterday and asked why he wrapped up everything you could see..

said it helps a ton *shrug*  so i figured i'd come bring it to the big

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: wrap'n
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 07:30:05 AM »
i wrap my knees for squats when i go heavy and probably dont need it...

the wrists i'll leave alone...but my elbows get real tight when i'm benching like my knees do so i tossed it up.  i was spotting a competitive power lifter yesterday and asked why he wrapped up everything you could see..

said it helps a ton *shrug*  so i figured i'd come bring it to the big

alot of powerlifters use wraps for everything...it helps for max attempts but anything else it is only holding you back. unless you have an injury i don't see the point in using wraps for anything other than max attempts. that is my opinion and i compete in powerlifting as well. when i'm in a competition i wrap my knees for squats and wrap my wrists for bench but these are max lifts. anything else would only hurt you in the long run "in my opinion".

if your elbows are getting really tight you might want to check your form or warm up a little better.

8)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »

8)

I agree with overload.  I think wraps hinder rather than help in the long run.