Author Topic: New to Bodybuilding  (Read 4331 times)

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
New to Bodybuilding
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:54:52 PM »
I'm really big into the bodybuilding scene and I've been wanting to do it for years,but never really knew where to start. let me give you all a few stats first so you all know where I'm coming from. I am 31yrs old(probably too old to start bodybuilding now????), 5ft.9in tall and 175-180lbs. My target weight is at least 200lbs solid,but I don't know that is reasonable goal or not. I got a good foundation to build on. I am currently getting my supplement stack built. I weightgainer and my multi-vitamins. I got my weight training routine set and ready to go. I guess all I need from you all is where do I go from here????

Any GOOD EXPERT ADVICE is REALLY REALLY appreciated.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

FatGuy

• Getbig II
  • Man these weights are heavy!!!
Re: New to Bodybuilding
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:36:21 PM »
Gym membership.... ;D

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »
Get a gym membership, and if you see any BIG MOFO's, learn how they do their BASIC movements. Squats, deadlifts and Dips for starters. Do those for three months and check back.

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
thanx for the info guys. I've already been to the gym for awhile now and I just need advice on stuff like how to get started with entering a particular bodybuilding circuit and stuff like that. I know that I need to get my body in top form first,but what next after that???
"Live Hard and Conquer"

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »
thanx for the info guys. I've already been to the gym for awhile now and I just need advice on stuff like how to get started with entering a particular bodybuilding circuit and stuff like that. I know that I need to get my body in top form first,but what next after that???
You must learn to walk before you run grasshopper.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 05:15:42 PM »
A basic HST program would be a great place to start.
:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »
I'm a big proponent of HST.

There's a slight problem with HST though.

It takes awhile to get the protocol down when you're a newbie in the gym.

I'd suggest you start on the Max-OT protocol, and while doing it, go to the HST website and make an effort to understand the basics of HST.

The great thing with Max-OT, is that every workout the next 8 or 9 weeks are laid out for you, and you never really have to worry about what poundages to use.

And it's also a very solid muscle building protocol.

You'll find links to both protocols at the top of the training board.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
I'm a big proponent of HST.

There's a slight problem with HST though.

It takes awhile to get the protocol down when you're a newbie in the gym.

YIP
Zack

Good point
:

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »
squats, leg press, calf raises. deadlift, bb rows, chins. shoulder press,lat raises, shrugs. bench press, incline bench press, dips, close grip bench. and bb curls. do 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps rest 3 days a week and set a solid foundation with basic compound lifts. i thru in some bi and tri work cuz i know most people want to build those right away.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
Since your already holding a steady 175-180 lbs. I would skip the weight gainer if I were you & get a good protein powder.Getting to 200 lbs. within a year for a new trainer shouldn't be that much of a problem if your committed to your training & diet.Read up more on nutrition as thats the area the majority of ppl. make the most errors.Since you stated your already big into the bb'ing scene I would think that your routine will be what you think to be right for you (not copying a routine of a pro from a magazine in other words).Good luck.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:42:57 PM »
i think if you take a protein shake. 2 scoops of a good whey protein. immediatly after your workouts and maybe 2 hours after breakfeast and a few hours before lunch you could easly hit 200 within probaly 6 months, thats an extra 80-90 grams of protein. try to get in about 250+ grams of protein a day

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:00:48 PM »
here, since none of these douches will give you a routine, and thats what you want....ill show you mine.        and dont listen to them....you can and should jump straight into a bodybuilding routine, no need to build up you "core"....just stretch plenty becfore and after your workouts, get plenty of food, and dont train if your still sore.

heres a routine

day 1:  quads.
4x10 squats
4x10 hack squats
4x10 leg presss
2x(failure) leeg extension

day 2: chest hamstrings
2x20 flys
4x8-10 db press
4x8-10 incline db press
4x10 flys
2x(failure) cable crossovers
4x10 lying hamstring curls
4x10 sitting hamstring curls
4x10 standing hamstring curls

day 3: arms
4x10 cg bench
4x10 bench dips
4x 10 pushdowns
4x10 preacher curls
4x10 barbell curls

day 4: shoulder
4x10 bent over laterals
4x10 reverse pec dec
5x8-12 lateral raises
3x10 machine lateral
(optional: 3x10 military press)
4x10 shrugs

day 5: back
4x10 pull downs
4x10 bent over rows
4x10 sitting rows
4x10 machinepullovers
4x 10 pull downs

... 8)
d[-_-]b actin all cool

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »
here, since none of these douches will give you a routine, and thats what you want....ill show you mine.        and dont listen to them....you can and should jump straight into a bodybuilding routine, no need to build up you "core"....just stretch plenty becfore and after your workouts, get plenty of food, and dont train if your still sore.

heres a routine

4x10 squats
4x10 hack squats
4x10 leg presss

2x20 flys
4x8-10 db press
4x8-10 incline db press
4x10 flys

4x10 cg bench
4x10 bench dips
4x 10 pushdowns
4x10 preacher curls
4x10 barbell curls

4x10 bent over laterals
4x10 reverse pec dec
5x8-12 lateral raises
3x10 machine lateral
4x10 shrugs

4x10 pull downs
4x10 bent over rows
4x10 sitting rows
4x10 machinepullovers
4x 10 pull downs

... 8)
wow, thats a lot of overlap there buddy, and way too infrequent.
follow the arrows

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:29:09 AM »
Maybe he smoked some?

Beginner => fullbody workout,

Why, two reasons,
first of all, a beginner isn't really familiar with the term overtraining,
second, he has to learn all basic movements.

My tip.

train 3 times a week, or once every two days if it's possible to rotate.

Workout, basics,

legs;
basic movement squat
rotate, deadlift (also back), form of legpress, leg-curl.

Back,
basic movement for back is actually rowing,
but you have to get familiar with pull-ups

so first try some pull-ups;
after that row, make a serious job of rowing with a barbell, also make sure somebody is watching you to correct you position. Rotate the second exercises, rowing with dumbells, lat-pulley, etc making use of a leverequipment is not bad.

Chest,
Slightly more variation here,

Benchpress, rotate the angle of the bench every trainingsday (incline flat decline) and the use of barbells or dumbells. Make once in a while use of cables and/or flyes. Do not exceed two exercises, and make sure you always have a variation of press in it.

Shoulders and arms,
one exercise every trainingsday and rotaote,
shoulder, press, back or front with barbell, dumbell. Do not perform the Arnold-press. It's the most ridiculous exercise I have ever seen.
Yeah you feel the lovely burning sensation, but it does jackshit.

Triceps;
rotate; one day dips, the other triceps extension;

biceps;
rotate; one day underhand pull-ups, the other curls;

Main goal of the first period is to get acquainted with the exercises.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 06:10:42 AM »
If you were to follow advice from candidate or donknowit please be smart enough to go w/dontknowit.I also feel a beginner should pick 1 mass exercise for each body group,w/1 other for large muscle groups & do a Mon/Wed/Fri whole body routine.You may also break that in half & do a Mon/Tues, Thurs/Fri routine also.As to candidate.Why call ppl a douche you feminine douche?From the pics i've seen of you you have no idea what your doing & your training advice proves that fact.

FatGuy

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 07:59:43 AM »

heres a routine

4x10 squats
4x10 hack squats
4x10 leg presss

2x20 flys
4x8-10 db press
4x8-10 incline db press
4x10 flys

4x10 cg bench
4x10 bench dips
4x 10 pushdowns
4x10 preacher curls
4x10 barbell curls

4x10 bent over laterals
4x10 reverse pec dec
5x8-12 lateral raises
3x10 machine lateral
4x10 shrugs

4x10 pull downs
4x10 bent over rows
4x10 sitting rows
4x10 machinepullovers
4x 10 pull downs

... 8)

yeah, listen to this guy... ::)

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »
First have you been working out in the past? 

Ive been working out since I was 17. Im 26 now.  Here is a routine I use but i constantly change the routine by changing one excercise for a different movemement every 3 weeks or so.

Monday
Chest Tris:
Flat bench
Incline bench
dumbell flyes

Tris:
Skull crushers
close grip bench
v bar cable pushdowns

Tuesday cardio

Wed:
Back Bis

cable pull downs front (behind the head will injure you)
T bar rows
dumbell rows
dead lifts

barbell curls
preacher
dumbell

Thursday legs
Squats
presses
extensions
hamstring curls
calves.

Friday
Shoulders cardio

For a beginner you should try different routines for a few months at a time if one routine is working stick with it for awhile.  For each of the basic stuff i do I will change it around once in awhile.  Keep in mind biceps are a small muscle and easy to overtrain.

Genetics have a lot to do with many things as well.  I work calves only once a week and have great calves, same with abs.  Others work them a few times a week. 

Remember rest is important my muscles have grown doing each body part only once a week but i go heavy.  Right now for you form is important so get your form down but go heavy enough that you feel it.

Nutrition and protein most guys dont get enough protein 250 grams is what you should shoot for.  Check out a chart online to see what different foods give you in grams. 

Good luck dude!

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:50 AM »

I take offense to the "name calling" because not once have I ever degraded you. I have never said anything "negative" to you or about you. For you to say "not to listen to us" just reminds me that YOU'RE ONLY 16 years old. If your bad experience with others here making fun of you makes you act defensive, then YOU SHOULDN'T POST here. I expect an apology from you to me.

I am a CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER. The advice I gave him is the same advice I would give anyone who was a beginner in bodybuilding. I am of the belief that unless you know the BASICS and are really set and can perform them perfectly with great form, your quest for bodybuilding will be short-lived. And I try to make this a life changing experience with the hope that they will carry it into their everyday lifestyle.

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 09:31:03 AM »
let me give you all my weight training experience and then I will lay out my work out schedule to you all as well. I really appreciate all the input that you all have given me,but I do not appreciate the negativity from a few of the responders,please all the "HATERS" leave you negativity out of this I need good "PROFESSIONAL" advice. Now with that said let me continue with my training background etc. I have been weight training since I was in high school when I was playing football. So I know the basic movements and how to perform each one in correct form. I continued weight training when I was in the U.S. Army. I have had numerous injuries since my life that has prevented me to do anything major for some years now. Now that I am injury free and ready to get serious about my training and getting ready to compete in some shows,that is when I feel that I am ready to do so in the next few months or so.

Now here is my training schedule. If any of ya see a flaw in my schedule please feel free to give your opinion.

Mon: Legs & Calves

Front Squats 3X10
Back Squats 3X10
Leg Extensions 3X10
Leg Curls 3X10
Leg Presses 3X10
Seated Calve Raises 3X10
Standing Calve Raises 3X10

Tues: Cardio & Abs

15-20mins Cardio

Abs:
Crunches 2X30
Knee Lifts 2X30
Angle Crunches 2X30

Wednesday: Back & Bis

Back:
Cable Pulldowns 3X10
Cable Rows 3X10
T-Bar Rows 3X10
Dead Lift 3X10

Bis:
Preacher Curls 3X10
Incline Curls 3X10
Seated Curls 3X10
Cabered Bar Curls 3X10
Barbell Curls 3X10

Thurs: Cardio & Abs

15-20mins Cadio

Abs:
Crunches 2X30
Angle Crunches 2X30
Knee Lifts 2X30

Friday: Shoulders,Tris,&Chest

Cable Shrugs 3X10
Dumbell Shrugs 3X10
Lat Raises 3X10
Bench Press 3X10
Incline Flyes 3X10
Flat Flyes 3X10
Skull Crushers 3X10
Tricep Extensions 3X10
Kick Backs 3X10

Like I said above please feel free to critique,please NO HATERS.

"Live Hard and Conquer"

FatGuy

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
Why didn't you post this in the first place...You original post was very vague so much so that you had a 16 year old give you advice….

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 09:40:51 AM »
Mon: Legs & Calves

Front Squats 3X10 / back squats. (rotate)
leg press
Leg Extensions 3X10
Leg Curls 3X10
Leg Presses 3X10
Seated Calve Raises 3X10
Standing Calve Raises 3X10

Tues: Cardio & Abs

15-20mins Cardio

Abs:
Crunches 2X30
Knee Lifts 2X30
Angle Crunches 2X30

Wednesday: Back & Bis

Back:
Cable Pulldowns 3X10 (if you can do chins its better even if you can only do a few work your way up)Cable Rows 3X10
T-Bar Rows 3X10
Dead Lift 3X10
(i would ad a barbell row its a def mass builder on back)[/u
Cable Shrugs 3X10 ( do shrugs on back day sence your doing shoulders with chest)
Dumbell Shrugs

Bis:I would do bis and tris together
Preacher Curls 3X10
hammer curls ( work your 4arms a lil)
Seated Curls 3X10
Barbell Curls 3X10
Skull Crushers 3X10
Tricep Extensions 3X10
Kick Backs 3X10(pushdowns or dips are much better)

Thurs: Cardio & Abs

15-20mins Cadio

Abs:
Crunches 2X30
Angle Crunches 2X30
Knee Lifts 2X30

Friday: Shoulders,&Chest
Bench Press 3X10
Incline bench press 3X10
incline Flyes 3X10
lat raises
bent over lat raises

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »
let me give you all my weight training experience and then I will lay out my work out schedule to you all as well. I really appreciate all the input that you all have given me,but I do not appreciate the negativity from a few of the responders,please all the "HATERS" leave you negativity out of this I need good "PROFESSIONAL" advice. Now with that said let me continue with my training background etc. I have been weight training since I was in high school when I was playing football. So I know the basic movements and how to perform each one in correct form. I continued weight training when I was in the U.S. Army. I have had numerous injuries since my life that has prevented me to do anything major for some years now. Now that I am injury free and ready to get serious about my training and getting ready to compete in some shows,that is when I feel that I am ready to do so in the next few months or so.

Now here is my training schedule. If any of ya see a flaw in my schedule please feel free to give your opinion.

Bis:
Preacher Curls 3X10
Incline Curls 3X10
Seated Curls 3X10
Cabered Bar Curls 3X10
Barbell Curls 3X10

You're training your biceps like crazy.

I still think you should consider Max-OT, or perhaps move on directly to HST, htt://www.hsnhst.com

A good HST routine would be something like this:

Workout 1:

Squat
20 degree incline bench
DB rows
Dips
Deadlift
DB shoulder press
DB biceps curl
Side lateral raise
Chins/lat pulldown
Calf raises
Abs

Workout 2:

Front squat
20 degrees Incline Bench press
DB rows
DB shoulder press
Seated rowing machine
Close grip bench presses
DB curls
Seated calf raises
Side lateral raises
Abs

Two sets of each excersise.

Find out the details on the HST website, where you can find other routines as well

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »

You stated your stats, but do have any idea what your BF% is? Realistically if you are 5'9" and 190 at approx. 10-12 percent BF then really all you would need to do is add on some size. As for competition, if you haven't been training until JUST RECENTLY, you probably don't want to think about competing for a show until next year sometime. It usually takes 8-16 weeks to diet and prep for a show depending on where your body is at that time, so for 2-4 months to just prep and if your body isn't "ready" to compete would probably be just a waste of time unless you just want to do it for the experience. It probably be helpful if you posted a pic too.

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
To be truthful I really don't know what my BF% is. I do know that my metabolism is like through the roof(I guess its genetic). I don't have that much body fat just a little "spare tire" so to speak haha. once I can get my scanner back online I can find the latedt pic and post it then.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
To be truthful I really don't know what my BF% is. I do know that my metabolism is like through the roof(I guess its genetic). I don't have that much body fat just a little "spare tire" so to speak haha. once I can get my scanner back online I can find the latedt pic and post it then.
Pic is the only "real" assesment. I've seen people with low BF% and look horrible compared to some with moderate BF who looked great. Pics are the best assessment of your bodybuilding goals.