Author Topic: reoccurring back injury when i deadlift  (Read 3201 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
reoccurring back injury when i deadlift
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:48:20 PM »
i do deadlifts about once every month and a half or so and 90% of the time i do them i keep injjuring my lower back. its extremely frustrating. has anyone else had this problem? its like every time i deadlift im taking a chance of injuring my lower back no matter how well i warm up and now matter how proper my form is. any advice?

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
Re: reoccurring back injury when i deadlift
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:44:54 PM »
you may be doing them wrong which is causing the injury, otherwise strengthen the lower back with good mornings and hyperextensions. if it still hurts stick with barbell and t bar rows as your back mass builder. they do a great job as well

RJB

• Getbig II
  • Everyone on the internets is rich.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:45:22 AM »
I used to have this problem. I agree with the other poster about strengthening with lower back excercises. Do you use a belt? Try that. Also, have someone else check out your form, somebody who knows what it should look like. Maybe a second opinion is needed.

If it continues, just switch to other excercises. Deadlifting isn't worth being in a wheelchair when you're 40.
Ronnie looked like doodoo

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 05:05:17 AM »
i do deadlifts about once every month and a half or so and 90% of the time i do them i keep injjuring my lower back. its extremely frustrating. has anyone else had this problem? its like every time i deadlift im taking a chance of injuring my lower back no matter how well i warm up and now matter how proper my form is. any advice?
I say, get rid of them altogether. There are too many other back exercises out there that you won’t risk injury. I had my pinched nerve in my lower back and thought I was screwed from doing any back exercises. I got frustrated and took a chance at seated pulley rows and for my surprise. It worked better for me then barbell rows, dead lifts, or t-bar rows. I get the same amount of performance and results from lat pull-downs, seated pulley rows, and hyperextensions. I don’t want to take anything from free weights, but some machines or cable systems do work better then free weights.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:26:42 PM »
If this injury flares up every time you deadlift, you need to stop deadlifting.

I had to stop back squats because the nerve at C6/C7 gets crushed when I place the bar on it.  I tried using a "manta-ray", but that hurts too.  Strangely enough, I never injured my knees or lower back in 20 years of squatting.  Years of heavy squats have taken their toll.  :'(

Getting old sucks, but I'm much rather be old and mobile, instead of old and crippled.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
try starting off the rack and taking a step or two back

don't go all the way down to the floor and SQUEEZE your abs/lower back - you've gotta keep it tight!

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »
good advice thanks a lot...

my friend who is also a bodybuilder told me it could be because after every rep after i put the bar down i release by grip and stand up for a few seconds then go back in for the next rep. he said i can reduce my risk of injury by keeping my grip o nthe bar throughout the whole set...is this true?

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:18:13 PM »

There comes a point where it may be better to just say fuck it, and stop doing them.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 04:33:07 PM »
Hey nodeal,
We meet again…
And still on the subject of back pain & chiropractors!
I hope my reply on the other thread was helpful.

Coincidentally, DL’s were one of my primary no-no’s that caused severe pain in my back (and on the right side).
Something that’s helped me and I still do them today:

Ever try partial/rack deadlifts?
Eliminating the first 3rd of the movement also takes A LOT of stress off the lower back and hips.
Some people find it easier because the stroke is shortened, but others find it more challenging because it takes most of the legs out and relies more on back.

Some bb’s do them to overload the back without building/thickening the abdominals.

I can now do full range DL’s with moderate weight, but I prefer to avoid things that I know at one time caused me a lot of bad pain.