Author Topic: The future of Mr Olympia contest  (Read 9395 times)

400kwgtr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
The future of Mr Olympia contest
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:17:33 AM »
This unwritten rule that the Current Mr Olympia never gets beaten is a fucking joke. No disrepect to Ronnie. I vote that No One contestant can win it more than 3 times. Then he must retire from the Mr O. The fact that greats like Wheeler, Levrone, Ray, Cormier and Priest have never won it is bullshit. What does everyone think??

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: The future of Mr Olympia contest
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:40:20 AM »
I agree with you to the fact that the same winner is getting old but to limit a champions tenure is another thing.

Judging needs to be less biased!

Freakzilla_2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:19 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but I think they should have new judges every year. 

Same judges = same results

Freak 8)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:09:05 PM »
I think so to. same judges will equal the same results.
bodybuildersreality.com

pgfresno

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »
The problem is that the Olympia is a business, not a sporting event.  The owners apparently think they can make more money if the same guy wins year after year.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:51:50 AM »
Get enough of the best judges (maybe 11), have a decent judging system (NOT IFBB), have independent officials, use proper judging criteria, and you might be able to select the best person to win. It is a must to do away with scoring the posedown. The posedown cannot be properly judged and allows too much crap to occur and errant judges to be 'corrected'.

Brian_Bullman

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • By Effort Acheive
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »
the only way is to change the judges year after year,

FloridaMuscle

• Getbig II
  • live to train, train to live
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:14:26 AM »
I have mixed feelings. I think everybody on that stage has to work there ass off and deserves recognition, but at the same time, if you come in eight years in a row looking the best than by standard judging you should win. I do agree that many of the greats that did not win definitly should have been considered and were past due for their sandow. especially priest, the guys a god amongst common men1

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 05:49:29 PM »
This unwritten rule that the Current Mr Olympia never gets beaten is a fucking joke. No disrepect to Ronnie. I vote that No One contestant can win it more than 3 times. Then he must retire from the Mr O. The fact that greats like Wheeler, Levrone, Ray, Cormier and Priest have never won it is bullshit. What does everyone think??

Ray should have won.
E

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
Ronnie keeps my throne warm till I get there.. nobody comes close to him!
just push some weight!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 12:23:01 PM »
How the hell is he supposed to make a living if he's forced to retire after 3 titles???

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 10:16:21 PM »
I think they should change SOME of the judges every year, but probably not all, and they all would still need to be IFBB judges. Bodybuilding is an opinionated sport. If it were judged by ppl who didn't know anything about bodybuilding then David Henry would qualify and win every year(no disrespect to him, he is great). I think the judges just need to make more comparisons. I think everyone should be compared to ppl that are within 4 places of them. That way everybody can get more representation.

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 07:39:29 AM »
Dear friends
Kind regards

The future of the Mr olympia contest is Alexxx
Everyone knows that

Yours thankfully
John

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 10:56:47 AM »
Also make this one show a year thing gone.You must compete atleast 2-3 times even the big names.Helps fans ,promoters etc.Everyone else has to peak in show after show to qualify and sometimes when they hit the O stage they are burnt out.Make Ronnie and jAY AND OTHERS DO MORE SHOWS.They go do shows after why not before/playing it safe are they?

Slick Vic

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »
This unwritten rule that the Current Mr Olympia never gets beaten is a fucking joke.
Current Mr. Olympia, Samir Bannout, losing the Sandow to Lee Haney - circa 1984.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 03:55:37 PM »
What you guys fail to realize - the Mr. Olympia is what it is becuase of the dynastys ;).....if you have different people winning it every year it loses it's luster and is no different than any other show.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 02:20:22 AM »
Also make this one show a year thing gone.You must compete atleast 2-3 times even the big names.Helps fans ,promoters etc.Everyone else has to peak in show after show to qualify and sometimes when they hit the O stage they are burnt out.Make Ronnie and jAY AND OTHERS DO MORE SHOWS.They go do shows after why not before/playing it safe are they?

Great point, Lee. Yes, I bet they are playing it safe. Somehow I think things would change at the O. if the current O.'s are forced to compete 2-3 times a year.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 09:46:04 AM »
There's no need to force anyone to compete a set number of times per year.  Just make the Olympia only for the winners of that year's shows.  Then, all the top guys would compete in the smaller shows throughout the year to try and qualify for the O.  The Olympia is suppose to be for champions, not guys who finish 5th at the NY Pro.   

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 09:48:24 AM »
Great point, Lee. Yes, I bet they are playing it safe. Somehow I think things would change at the O. if the current O.'s are forced to compete 2-3 times a year.
Thats how Ronnie got burnt the year he lost to Gunter at the GNC show.

jeremya54

• Getbig I
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 12:45:57 PM »
I understand what everybody is saying about changing the judges every year.  I think that it the best thing that can be done.  I also think that they follow the mandate that Ben Weider put out last year should be enforced.  How many qualified IFBB judges are there?  I have say that regardless of anything else, Ronnie Coleman is still the best on stage.  Even if he comes 85 or 90% he still can win.  I also do believe that the judges should be made up of NPC judges and IFBB judges.  They should earn the right to be there just like the competitors.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
it makes perfect sense doesn't it? so what the fuck?
bodybuildersreality.com

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 12:56:06 PM »

If you made the top 6 (previously top 10), you might have had that luxury to peak for one show.  But I do recall that until last year, Ronnie competed on the European Grand Prix tour in at least two shows.  So if you have to requalify for the Olympia, and you're burnt--too bad..

ILLICON

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »

it's cause those guys just dont compare to ronnie and JC.  duh...

AVBG

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 06:25:31 PM »
I think that putting a limit on # of wins on the O defeats the purpose of the show. Its there to present the best in the pro ranks, if there was a limit the retirements would be plenty and the ranks would thin out.

I do like the idea that everybody needs to  qualify.

ILLICON

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 07:26:01 PM »
I understand what everybody is saying about changing the judges every year.  I think that it the best thing that can be done.  I also think that they follow the mandate that Ben Weider put out last year should be enforced.  How many qualified IFBB judges are there?  I have say that regardless of anything else, Ronnie Coleman is still the best on stage.  Even if he comes 85 or 90% he still can win.  I also do believe that the judges should be made up of NPC judges and IFBB judges.  They should earn the right to be there just like the competitors.

Get the fuck off his dick, the judges last year even said JC looked better ......... he just didn't pose as well as Ronnie.