Author Topic: Upcoming shoulder surgery  (Read 2932 times)

Barrister

• Getbig I
Upcoming shoulder surgery
« on: June 14, 2006, 02:19:20 PM »
After several months of increasing pain in my left shoulder (which really impeded my ability to do military presses or dumbbell bench presses), I went to an ortho who rendered a diagnosis of AC arthritis.  Basically, the cartilage in my AC joint is gone, resulting in painful scraping of the bones when I train.  I have scheduled an arthroscopic procedure known as a "distal clavicle excision," which basically means the doctor will shave off some bone near the joint and let the resulting scar tissue form a cushion.  He tells me I can be back in the gym in 6-8 weeks, but I'd like to get some feedback from guys who have had this surgery.

Has anyone had this type of arthroscopic surgery?  If so, what was the recovery like?  How long were you out of the gym?  And how long was it before you were able to train heavy again?

Thanks in advance for the help.

bigjay34

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Upcoming shoulder surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:41:01 PM »
See my posting, i left some of my progress there, and stuff that happend after my surgery, i had mine done DEC 16 and its the best thing you can do. i have no regrets, but your shoulder will never be like it was, and 1 thing my doctor told me which I'm finding to be true is that 100 percent recovery will take 1 FULL YEAR. When are you going under?

Barrister

• Getbig I
Re: Upcoming shoulder surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:08:30 AM »
See my posting, i left some of my progress there, and stuff that happend after my surgery, i had mine done DEC 16 and its the best thing you can do. i have no regrets, but your shoulder will never be like it was, and 1 thing my doctor told me which I'm finding to be true is that 100 percent recovery will take 1 FULL YEAR. When are you going under?

Thanks, bro.  I'm getting the surgery last week of June.  I'm glad you say you have no regrets despite the recovery time.  I've wrestled with this decision for a while now, but I know I need to get it done.  Are you training as heavy now on shoulders/bench as you were before the surgery?  Do you have any lingering pain when you train?  Thanks again for the post, bro.  I appreciate it.