Author Topic: Why do you slam weights?  (Read 18898 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Why do you slam weights?
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:49:30 AM »
Unless you're deadlifting 300+lbs. or racking 400+lbs squats, why would you slam your weights.  I saw this guy the other day who literally threw 135lbs back on the squat rack after doing deadlifts?  Like he was being judged on his dismount. 
Better yet, letting the monster stack of 150lbs come crashing down, after doing seated rows? 
Completely unnecessary.
It's not a church, but some things just make you wonder...why?  Usually, it's someone with a tough guy image to uphold.  Hey! Check me out, I'm blasting average weight on massive amounts of drugs! 
Yeah, that's awesome!
N

jarhead

• Getbig III
  • First name Mister. Last name "T".
Re: Why do you slam weights?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 09:54:55 AM »
Some people need more attention than others.  How they interpret that annoyed look given by others to them into a positive thing is beyond me.  Goes for the losers who feel the need to show off their strength to some newbie in the gym by crushing their dignity.  Same trait exercised in a different manner.  Insecure.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »
All ego, like having a loud motorcycle. "Look at me, please!" Usually a turd with no size. The only understandable exceptions are someone really training hard in a hardcore gym, and someone dropping weights onto rubber mats.

After a while it's worth asking management to tell him to STFU since its hardly difficult to put the weights back like everyeone else.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
Unless you're deadlifting 300+lbs. or racking 400+lbs squats, why would you slam your weights.  I saw this guy the other day who literally threw 135lbs back on the squat rack after doing deadlifts?  Like he was being judged on his dismount. 
Better yet, letting the monster stack of 150lbs come crashing down, after doing seated rows? 
Completely unnecessary.
It's not a church, but some things just make you wonder...why?  Usually, it's someone with a tough guy image to uphold.  Hey! Check me out, I'm blasting average weight on massive amounts of drugs! 
Yeah, that's awesome!

OK, I was following you until you brought in the drugs.

What do drugs have to do with it? Steroid users aren't the only ones dropping weights.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
For me, it's a mental-focus thing. I'm not there to arrange porcelain teacups on a lace doily. I'm there to pump some iron, dammit! Manly iron! If the noise bothers you, get the fug out of my gym and go listen to Joni Mitchell on your pink iPod, wimp.

OK, I just made that up. I'm really just a lazy asshole whose arms are too tired from even my light-ass weights to respect the gym's equipment.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »
I like to launch it absolutely as high/far as possible.  Lets all the tiny twats know who is f'n in charge !!!!

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:07:48 AM »
LOL....some of these idiots are just plain asshole who just want ATTENTION..If I owned a Gym I would warned them a first time and a second time, and I'll kicked their ass out of the Gym after that
Get Big, or Die Trying

BUCK 65

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »
We have a guy in our gym-he weighs about 220 BUT easily 25% bf..
He does incline DB with 100's -does 1/8 range of movement-does maybe 8 reps & then slams them down.....
It is sooooooo annoying

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »
We have a guy in our gym-he weighs about 220 BUT easily 25% bf..
He does incline DB with 100's -does 1/8 range of movement-does maybe 8 reps & then slams them down.....
It is sooooooo annoying

Don't be hatin'.  The next time you see me, just give a polite hello and keep on walking.  ;D

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 10:14:38 AM »
I don't SLAM weights but sometimes I do drop them kinda hard because my muscles are full of blood and after a certain amount of reps I almost can't hold onto the weight as easy. I just want to get them out of my grip quick.

cshep57

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 10:20:28 AM »
I have no issue with the amount of weight people lift weather it's a high amount or a low amount.  But, there is a guy at my gym that does barbell curls with one 10lb plate on each side, then slams it down on the squat rack when he's done with a set -- all at 8AM, when all 4 of us that are there at that hour have no problem noticing him. 

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:22:15 AM »
Completely unnecessary.
Yeah, that's awesome!

You mean like Ronnie?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »
Unless it's really high weight or the guy is going to failure (like total and complete destruction type of failure), it's just a dumb ploy for attention...
Motherboy (the band).

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 10:48:49 AM »
I hate that kind of thing too and have spoken to people about it. What bothers me the most is how the equipment get damaged and that makes things like rattling dumbells and cracking bars hard to use without getting hurt.
Anyone here notice the heavy weights ending in zero are always the most banged up by morons who don't want to stop at 75 on their way to 80lbs?
Someone like Ronnie on the other hand, I think I would let gym management handle it for obvious reasons lol.

NeverTrustABlonde

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 10:50:44 AM »
how about launching dumbells halfway across the gym when you're done with them? is that really necessary??  ???

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »
i have a bunch f kids my age. 18-21 at my gym who juice. some longer than others. these guys scream and grunt bench pressing 185 in the smith machine. myself and another natural laugh at these idiots because were bigger and stronger and younger than they are. its pretty funny though. they thought a cycle would be the miracle drug. however without hard work and dedication you dont get shit. they look like your average soccer player.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »
You guys sound like a bunch of pussies.  It's important to "throw the weight around like it ain't nuffin."  Chicks dig it.

bigtmoney

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 11:09:02 AM »
Is dropping dumbells considered slamming weights?  If so I guess I slam dumbells after pressing, after you've done your reps it aint very easy bringing them back to your lap, standing up and walking back to the rack.   I drop em wait a couple of secs then pic them up and re-rack em.

NeverTrustABlonde

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 11:22:16 AM »
You guys sound like a bunch of pussies.  It's important to "throw the weight around like it ain't nuffin."  Chicks dig it.

i'm a chick and i don't dig it.....  ::)

Is dropping dumbells considered slamming weights?  If so I guess I slam dumbells after pressing, after you've done your reps it aint very easy bringing them back to your lap, standing up and walking back to the rack.   I drop em wait a couple of secs then pic them up and re-rack em.

i get what you're saying, but if you're not lifting THAT MUCH, there is no reason for the loud and obnoxious finish.... there's a guy at my gym who throws his 30 pound dumbells in a dramatic manner when he's done with them (complete with a loud grunt!) .... not cool.... especially when theyr'e flying at my foot or something

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 11:28:42 AM »
i'm a chick and i don't dig it.....  ::)

Post pics to prove it, or shut up.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 11:58:02 AM »
Completely unnecessary.
Yeah, that's awesome!

Saw a guy do that last night in fact.  Working his traps (360lbs + the bar).  Slammed each plate against each other as he loaded the bar (as if to say "count how many 45s I'm using").  Lifted, screamed out at each rep (all 4 of them), threw down the bar, dropped down to the floor on his knees, looked around and then got up and walked away from the rack like he was pissed off at the weights.  And the dude was big.
:D Weee

jarhead

• Getbig III
  • First name Mister. Last name "T".
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »
Saw a guy do that last night in fact.  Working his traps (360lbs + the bar).  Slammed each plate against each other as he loaded the bar (as if to say "count how many 45s I'm using").  Lifted, screamed out at each rep (all 4 of them), threw down the bar, dropped down to the floor on his knees, looked around and then got up and walked away from the rack like he was pissed off at the weights.  And the dude was big.

Was it the True Adonis?  Gyno rage, I heard it is worst that roid rage.  j/k  ;D

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »
Completely unnecessary.
Yeah, that's awesome!

If you would've been concentrating, on your workout,,he wouldn't have gotten the , much needed attention he was trying to get !

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
I slam the weights to show the fuckers who's the boss!  The respect me for it and bend to my will.

>:(

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »
I like to launch it absolutely as high/far as possible.  Lets all the tiny twats know who is f'n in charge !!!!

translation-i use such little weights that the rubber covered little dumbells bounce when i throw them....assclown.