Author Topic: Perception of bodybuilders....................  (Read 9774 times)

hifrommike

• Getbig III
Re: Perception of bodybuilders....................
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »
Why do you trash BBs at 180 lbs?  There are four classes in the national NPC shows that require competitors to be under 180 (bantam, lightweight, middleweight, & welterweight).  Some of these guys have gone pro with the IFBB at that weight as well (the last was Jose Raymond).  Most of these guys aren't going to go into competition, but so few are interested that bodybuilding will die if the the ones who are interested get trashed by their "betters."  Also, someone may be 230 lbs but also be at 20% BF.  Weight isn't everything.  & BBs are invented, not born.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2006, 08:43:03 AM »
when i was in high school i had the weider bench (i think it was a brutal $60 at Sears) with about 130 lbs of barbells and a 20 lb. bar.  you know, the one where the rack is just where your grip should be, so you'd have to go either inside the rack or outside it, then readjust. 

i put it next to my bed in my room, so i'd do bench and curls before and after bed, every day.

brutal growth!

Bring back them memories, why don't you?

I remember trying to be "hardcore", "blasting" my muscles into the pain zone, etc. I'd even train to failure. I'd put 80 lbs on the bar and put the collars on the end. Then, I'd put more weights on the side. I'd bench, until I couldn't bench anymore, dump the extra plates off, and bench 80 lbs. back onto the uprights.

Unfortunately, I lived upstairs and the noise disturbed my neighbors. So, I ended up putting the couch cushions around my bench to keep the noise down.

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2006, 08:50:40 AM »
Yes, bb jackasses are a dime a dozen.   These guys that consume insane amounts of food are ridiculous.   I'm sorry, but when you leave your teens and 20s your life focus shifts.   When you're 20-24 and goin balls out in every facet of the bb lifestyle you think this will never end....you say to yourself, "shit, I'll be doin this when I'm 60!!"  I did and it simply didn't last.   Unless you have insane genetics for bb you don't need to live your life that way.  If you choose to then more power to you, but bb is a lonely, ultimately unfulfilling lifestyle.   I believe completely stayin active, weight training, keepin lean, eating right, etc....but the bb lifestyle is a different animal.   For most avid lifters it's merely a phase in their life....reality always sets in.   Of course there will be 10 guys that are 30-50 that say, "you're outta your mind, I never quit....I love bb!!"   Yeah, and for every 10 guys that stuck with it there'll be 10,000,000 that didn't.

That was me. From aged 16 - 22 I was super intense and did everything right with regards to "living the lifestyle". Preparing 6 meals a day, driving an hour each way to workout 3-4 times a week was a pleasure. Then suddenly everything changes, I cannot be fucking asked to eat twice a day nevermind 6 times. Still working out but not as intense. Strange thing is, I maintained most of my mass. My priorities completely shifted and I look upon those intense juiced up 19 year olds with pity. So much time wasted chasing nothing.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2006, 09:03:38 AM »
when i was in high school i had the weider bench (i think it was a brutal $60 at Sears) with about 130 lbs of barbells and a 20 lb. bar.  you know, the one where the rack is just where your grip should be, so you'd have to go either inside the rack or outside it, then readjust. 

i put it next to my bed in my room, so i'd do bench and curls before and after bed, every day.

brutal growth!

Monster Intensity.  You probably had one of these:

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2006, 09:05:17 AM »

that's the exact one.  brutal bruising of the wrists.
Deep Tissue Massage

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2006, 09:06:16 AM »
This is me during a break from work, always squeezing in that one last rep:

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2006, 09:12:39 AM »
epic collar to collar grip.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2006, 01:35:04 PM »
mine was a 110 lb set of the cement andplastic weights.Someone gave me some more weight and I loaded it up,but it was a hollow 10 lb bar and it bent in the middle...I thought I was strong as hell...overloaded the bar hahaha

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
mine was a 110 lb set of the cement andplastic weights.Someone gave me some more weight and I loaded it up,but it was a hollow 10 lb bar and it bent in the middle...I thought I was strong as hell...overloaded the bar hahaha

I had two bars: one was like yours and the other was solid metal. The bench was similar to what was depicted earlier, plus the little "extras" I mentioned. But, I thought I was set.

The narrow upright bench, the cement weights, and a can of Joe Weider's Dynamic Weight Gainer: THERE WAS NO STOPPING ME!!!

;D

that's the exact one.  brutal bruising of the wrists.

I certainly don't miss that. Nor, do I miss taking one plate off a side and having to run to the other side, to keep the bar from falling and my weights from cracking.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »
I remember when I started lifting when I was in the 8th grade...I had no clue.I would bench until failure without going up in weight.My thinking was,I'll do this until it becomes no problem,then I will add a little weight and work with it for a couple weeks...and this is all I did,everyday...hahahaha  every once in awhile I would attempt curls,but benching was more fun so that is what I did. typical ignorant kid.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2006, 09:59:41 PM »
Nor, do I miss taking one plate off a side and having to run to the other side, to keep the bar from falling and my weights from cracking.

haha yeah that definitly is a bitch ;D

E
E