Author Topic: Myths; busting & confirming  (Read 2186 times)

Yogilifter

• Getbig II
Myths; busting & confirming
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:41:14 AM »
There are so many myths about what you should do and mustn't do in physical training: It's best to do your running in the morning on an empty stomach. You need at least one day of complete rest to recuperate each week. You mustn't work the same group of muscles with an interval shorter than 48 hours. And so on.

I hope that some of you experienced people can help a relative novice like me with confirming or busting some of the most popular myths. Please write about some of the myths you hear most often but disagree with. Or maybe tell about a new training truth which few people other than you know about.

Or if there's already a thread similar to this somewhere in here, please point me the way.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Myths; busting & confirming
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:29:09 AM »
There are so many of them it would take a while. ask about a few and i'm sure some of us can answer.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 08:31:16 AM »
I don't know if it's so much myth as it is disinformation.  Working out to gain whatever the personal goal may be need not be overly complicated but a lot of people tend to make it that way. A lot of success depends on a little study of how the body functions to a new or unaccustomed stress level/load and how the body can adapt and improves by becoming stronger. So it's pretty much stress, recovery and advancement to be ready for the next workout, for physical gains. The interesting thing is is that not everyone respones to exercise the same way. Any serious lifter will follow his/her own personal quest to see how the body respones to different sets, reps, length of workouts, day's a week, etc. That's when experience and logic come into play together to find what may work for you. If no noticable results in 3-4 weeks than choose another style of working out. But to be fair, give a program at least a 3 week, with serious intent, investment. All people don't respone at the same speed, as suggested above.

I might suggest starting from the point of the lowest common denominator when starting a workout program. One or two sets an exercise with the rep range between 8-12, basic 2 or 3 times a week.  Food is a healer and a builder of the body. Too many guy's rush in to buy supplements they really don't need when first getting serious about BB'ing....Mistake. Do a little research about diet and foods, consider what you may need or adjust in your daily eating habits. The mean average is 3,000 calories (US male) for body maintence . Use that as a general gage as to how many calories you may need for lifting goals: muscle mass, fat loss, etc. 

There is a motto on our gym wall, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). No matter what some may have you believe, training is not brain surgery. It does not have to be complex or confusing. Good Luck.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
The suggestion about looking into nutrition is a very sound advice IMO.

If you learn how to eat healthy, and eats good whole food, instead of relying too much on various powders and supplements, you will have a sound base to stand on.

Consider this: In a multivitamin pack there's around 20-25 different substances. In vegetables there are 200-300.

Which one is better then the other?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 07:20:07 PM »
You mustn't work the same group of muscles with an interval shorter than 48 hours.

I don't know who came up with that one. Maybe if you train with little girl intensity. There's no way you are recuperated after doing deads or squats in 2 days.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:25:58 AM »
I don't know who came up with that one. Maybe if you train with little girl intensity. There's no way you are recuperated after doing deads or squats in 2 days.

Look at the legs of Olympic Weightlifters.

A lot of them never train to failure. Most never. And even those who train using the Bulgarian protocol puts on immense mass on their legs.

The Bulgarians lift 1-3 reps, mostly 1-2 reps.

And yeah, they lift pretty heavy.

The drug assisted Bulgarian protocol is set up for 18 workout every week, 6 days a week 3 times a day. The new protocol has 8 workouts a week, training twice a day four times a week.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:56:18 AM »
i wouldnt use weightlifters and professionals as examples to get a point across, since their genetics obviously is far superior to the ordinary guy lifting weights.
Z

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 05:14:31 AM »
i wouldnt use weightlifters and professionals as examples to get a point across, since their genetics obviously is far superior to the ordinary guy lifting weights.

didn't they start as normal guys? i understand the roll of genetics but you can go far with hard work and dedication.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 07:45:50 AM »
Look at the legs of Olympic Weightlifters.

A lot of them never train to failure. Most never. And even those who train using the Bulgarian protocol puts on immense mass on their legs.

The Bulgarians lift 1-3 reps, mostly 1-2 reps.

And yeah, they lift pretty heavy.

The drug assisted Bulgarian protocol is set up for 18 workout every week, 6 days a week 3 times a day. The new protocol has 8 workouts a week, training twice a day four times a week.

YIP
Zack

This is a true sport because you need to practice the lifts and you're judged on the lifts, so doing frequent lifts makes sense to me. This protocol is for neuromuscular strength and skill conditioning, not for hypertrophy. The fact that they don't train to failure is necessary as well, as nobody could sustain training to failure every day in this manner.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 09:29:07 AM »
didn't they start as normal guys? i understand the roll of genetics but you can go far with hard work and dedication.

yeah but maybe it would be wise to use a different road
Z

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 04:20:18 AM »

genetics....... and MASSIVE drug use....