Author Topic: training the 3 heads of the triceps  (Read 2778 times)

chrisg

• Getbig II
  • "No! Try not! Do! Or do not. There is no try."
training the 3 heads of the triceps
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:50:18 PM »
I just refer to it as the horseshoe like my friends do, but I can't seem to get the whole upside-down "V" hit. I know there's the inner and outer and medial head. I don't know which side is inner and outer, but I'm assuming the medial is on the top btw the two. If I'm facing you w/ my arms at my sides, the head that is visible from the front [and the top head] are defined and rock hard. But the other head on the other side is basically just flab. I've been doing 4 sets of 8-10 dips every single day since February and I stay as straight as I can so I'm not working the chest. I also go all the way down until my biceps touch my forearm and all the way up, no cheating. I don't have cable machines. Any suggestions on getting the whole thing hit hard?
P.R.: ate four lbs p-butter in 3 days

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: training the 3 heads of the triceps
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »
close grip bench presses
lying dumbell ext
dumbell kick backs

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:01:53 PM »
In my Opinion, your dipping wrong. Coming too low is dangerous, especially when you start adding weight. It puts alot of stress on the front delts and forces them into an unnatural postion. Also only coming down to paralell keeps the stress on the Tris through the whole set. Do them slow, come down to just a tad below paralell for a nice stretch then push up and squeeze for a good half a second. Dips aren't the only excersise you do for Tris are they? reverse grip pushdowns,EZ bar extensions, skulls,narrow press, regual pushdowns should all be used to create different workouts for each Tri session. I do about 10-15 sets for my Tris. super sets and drop sets are good once in awhile too. Good luck on those Tris man they will come, just go nice and heavy.
bodybuildersreality.com

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:12:14 PM »
I just refer to it as the horseshoe like my friends do, but I can't seem to get the whole upside-down "V" hit. I know there's the inner and outer and medial head. I don't know which side is inner and outer, but I'm assuming the medial is on the top btw the two. If I'm facing you w/ my arms at my sides, the head that is visible from the front [and the top head] are defined and rock hard. But the other head on the other side is basically just flab. I've been doing 4 sets of 8-10 dips every single day since February and I stay as straight as I can so I'm not working the chest. I also go all the way down until my biceps touch my forearm and all the way up, no cheating. I don't have cable machines. Any suggestions on getting the whole thing hit hard?

My favorite triceps exercise is the pulldown with the rope attachment. I do 1 set of high reps to failure (20 or so), then I'll do a drop set of four different weights without rest. Fries them like no other; easy on the elbows too.

Some people are just blessed with better looking triceps. Mine only look good when I'm lower than 10% bf. Such is life.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 08:04:42 PM »
If I'm facing you w/ my arms at my sides, the head that is visible from the front [and the top head] are defined and rock hard. But the other head on the other side is basically just flab.
The lateral & medial (outer) heads that you've described as already tight are the primarily areas hit by dips, close-grip benches & pushdowns. They're all good substitutes for one another but won't address your problem.

To hit the long head, the largest part of the triceps, lying or seated extensions to behind the head, with the elbows raised up around eye level. Seated, leaning back slightly, with back braced. Do extensions after the dips, so that the elbows are already warmed up. Try both seated and lying, see which works better or alternate one and then the other every so often. Do the same number of sets of extensions as you are doing on dips, close-grips, pushdowns or kickbacks.

One-arm pulley kickbacks are also excellent; a downside is limitations in the amount of weight that can be used, in part due to the involvement and pre-exhaustion of the rear delts. Use of a pulley instead of a dumbbell takes much more of the rear delt out of it while hitting the tris more intensely. Try variations using either the low or mid-level pulley.

From what i'm reading you're training the same muscle every day?  ??? If you work them hard you should be hitting them every 2-3 days at the most.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 04:26:47 AM »
From what i'm reading you're training the same muscle every day?  ??? If you work them hard you should be hitting them every 2-3 days at the most.

that would explain the lack of gains!

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »
You cannot isolate the different heads of the triceps.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 05:40:05 PM »
You cannot isolate the different heads of the triceps.
Every once in a while someone will say that; make no sense to me. Obviously different exercises hit different areas, otherwise everyone would do the same one exercise for each muscle. Common sense itself suggests that different heads are there for different ranges and angles of motion, and are hit differently with different exercises.