Author Topic: Dumbell pullovers - productive or pointless  (Read 2666 times)

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
Dumbell pullovers - productive or pointless
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:07:31 AM »
 :-\ :-\ :-\

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Dumbell pullovers - productive or pointless
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:53:15 AM »
One of the best lat & serratus exercises there is. Machine versions can be better if you have access.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
i do them with either e-z curl bar or dumbells both on back and chest day. great exersize. 

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:34:05 AM »
Also a great exercise for the long head of the triceps as well as the abs.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:37:35 AM »
Also a great exercise for the long head of the triceps as well as the abs.

If you do DB pullovers correctly without flexing the arms, it hits the triceps nicely, but indirectly. To involve the triceps more while still hitting lats & serratus, do a pullover & press. Do the normal pullover motion, then when the weight's on the chest do a bench press. Then bring it back down to the chest, and do another pullover.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »
One of the best lat & serratus exercises there is. Machine versions can be better if you have access.
what i was going to say
d[-_-]b actin all cool

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
the best torsos in the world do pullovers.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:43:31 PM »
I can do them so i can feel the lats working, but I cant seem to do them to hit the chest..i dont know wtf im doing wrong..so i do em onlyt on back day, once in a blue..i guess i should put them in at the end of both chest and back workouts..eh?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 12:46:42 PM »
I can do them so i can feel the lats working, but I cant seem to do them to hit the chest..i dont know wtf im doing wrong..so i do em onlyt on back day, once in a blue..i guess i should put them in at the end of both chest and back workouts..eh?

I've never agreed with those who claims it works the chest, it's primarily for lats. You're not doing it wrong. Include it with back work.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »
I've never agreed with those who claims it works the chest, it's primarily for lats. You're not doing it wrong. Include it with back work.

absolutely... it's a back movement primarily...  i am a big fan of the machine pull-over though, you get a much better squeeze.

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »
wow....I have not seen a pullover machine in ages!  all the gyms around here suck...... a pullover machine is awesome for back days!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »
wow....I have not seen a pullover machine in ages!  all the gyms around here suck...... a pullover machine is awesome for back days!

Gotta agree on that.

A few years ago I used to train once a week at an old school Nautilus Gym.You know the old, big machines.
  That pullover machine was teh shit.
YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
Used the original Nautilus pullover machine (strapped in) with the front lat bar attached for pulldowns (curl grip) done right after the pullovers. Big time exercise, big time gains. Really gave deep ridges with-in the serratus formations & thick, full lats. Point of resistence on the elbows, where it belonges.  Problem was, human nature being what it is, too many guy's added extra exerecises like BB row's, chins with the Nautilus machine workout. Put greater demand on their recovery abilites, so of course they didn't gain much or ever lost some size. Blamed it on the pullover machine, though the main training idea was to just use the pullover machine alone in any lat/back workout.  Those three positioned resistence cam's worked well when following the muscle strength curve of the human body. Also used the original Nautilus leg machine (also strapped in) and one of the few time I got quite dizzy for a exercise. Worked the hips and lower back heavy, as well as the whole leg structure it's self. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Art Jones still alive?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 09:03:04 AM »
Since JPM's once again in need of some help...Jones is still around in Florida, involved with next-generation Nautilus-inspired MedX exercise and rehab equipment. Arguably the smoothest machines on the market:
http://www.medxonline.com/

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 09:21:00 AM »
I sometimes do them in between sets witn no rest of DB rows...Get's my lats going pretty good...I exclude them on heavy back days...

Sledge

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
I sometimes do them in between sets witn no rest of DB rows...

That's one of the most effective ways-a compound superset of two related exercises!

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
Yeah man...I'll do real strict pulldowns first...go over and start my db rows with the pullovers done in between sets with NO rest...My lats are friggin' pumped just after these three exercises...then I'll go have some fun w/ bb rows and kick their ass more with some cables...

-LOVE them back days-

Sledge

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 10:29:48 AM »
Try also doing the same thing with:

-Pulldowns/chins supersetted with pullovers.

-Pulldowns/chins supersetted with any row motion.

-Same idea applied to other muscles using two related exercises. For example standing BB/ cable curl supersetted with preacher/incline curls, or DB bench press supersetted with flys.

-Occasionally a tri-set: any row motion + pulldown/chin + pullover consecutively, then rest 1.5 mins. & repeat.

Old Pig

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 04:41:39 PM »
Side Bar: Art Jones still alive?

Supposed to live in Ocala, FL; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Jones_(inventor)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 08:30:06 AM »
I also prefer machine pullovers...

Like pumpster said a superset with chins and pullovers is an awesome workout...pullovers made a huge improvement to my lats and serratus. i also feel it a little in my abs and tris when using a DB.

8)