Author Topic: squat form  (Read 4157 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
squat form
« on: July 04, 2006, 02:36:22 PM »
i heard when squatting your knees should never extend farther than your toes, but when i try to follow the rule its hard for me to get a full squat, i cant even fully go to parallel.

I practiced for a while with just the bar and the only way i could squat down without my knees going over my toes was if i leaned my back straight forward like i was doing good mornings and squats at the same time. That worked with the empty bar but once i started piling weight on their it made my lower back tired way before my legs were

so how exactly are you supposed to get a full squat without your knees going over ur toes????????

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: squat form
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »
Act like you're sitting in a chair, that should keep your knees from going over your toes. You can place a bench behind you and actually sit on it as you squat, just so you know your motion is correct. Think about it, when you sit down in a chair your knees do not come out over your feet.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »
you're first motion when you squat should be BACK not DOWN, as soon as you break your knees push your ass back and push your knees out to the side, your feet will have to be a little beyond shoulder width to do this but you'll squat perfectly every time.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 05:41:48 PM »
Ignore everything stated and just squat down in a way that's comfortable. Once you find something comfortable that will be your form from then on. Ignore any nonsense about where your knees and feet should be. Also, if balance is an issue put a 1-2" block under your heels, it'll help.
The only thing is to make sure you're warmed up well first and start with some light and medium weight sets.

Also try box squats-the best form of squats IMO; form's even less of an issue with these.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:38 PM »
Ignore everything stated and just squat down in a way that's comfortable. Once you find something comfortable that will be your form from then on. Ignore any nonsense about where your knees and feet should be. Also, if balance is an issue put a 1-2" block under your heels, it'll help.

The only thing is to make sure you're warmed up well first and start with some light and medium weight sets.

Also try box squats-the best form of squats IMO; form's even less of an issue with these.
hahahaha, ok, "pumpster".
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 05:52:45 PM »

That is exactly what I was going to say. Don't even think about it when you squat....you know the basic rules to it, and you know what is too heavy for you own good so your fine.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
hahahaha, ok, "pumpster".

Dumbass "sarcasm" with useless instructions himself. Hey buddy get back to me when you've been in the pits squatting like I have-it ain't complicated. hahahahahahahahah

Sarcasm's "advice" was next to useless-squat "back"? WTF? If i tried to understand this gibberish I'd still have legs the size of his. hahahahahhaah
you're first motion when you squat should be BACK not DOWN, as soon as you break your knees push your ass back and push your knees out to the side, your feet will have to be a little beyond shoulder width to do this but you'll squat perfectly every time.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »
Dumbass "sarcasm" with useless instructions himself. Hey buddy get back to me when you've been in the pits squatting like I have-it ain't complicated. hahahahahahahahah
hahahaha, i've forgotten more abut squatting than you'll ever know, pencilneck fa.ggot.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 05:59:34 PM »
More horrible advice from "sarcasm". Seriously do not bother with this board your info is a waste of the server.

Let's review: "squat down & back" which basically means falling backwards and the weight falling on you. hahahahahhahaha

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 06:00:32 PM »
More horrible advice from "sarcasm". Seriously do not bother with this board your info is a waste of space. hahahahahhahaha
tell Louie Simmons how bad that advice is jackass.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 06:01:06 PM »
STFU punk - your advice sux.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 06:02:15 PM »
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »
hahahah sure buddy - desperately throw out some more getbig cliches while you're at it.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
hahahah sure buddy - throw out some more getbig cliches while you're at it.
hahahaha, you make me laugh pumpster, always telling people to avoid the hard barbell exercises and giving absolutely shit advice on training, no wonder you're 140lbs.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »
It's called thinking outside of the box you idiot; guys like Coleman believe in cables and I did free weights for years so i've already been there. Whether you do or not because you're a closed-minded vindictive twit's irrelevant.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 08:06:51 PM »
everyone has their own Training methods and learning a few different things really helps to give new ideas, so lay off pumpster fellas.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »
Thanks man but I wanted to get a reaction from "sarcasm" hahahahahhahahahaah

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »
ok so my thread just got hijacked but i still dont really understand what to do....

figure a way out to keep my knees back or screw it and just squat ?

will i get injured if i continue to squat without caring if my knees are in front of my toes?
or is that another one of those training myths?

is there any evidence to support either point of view?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 10:40:27 PM »
No you won't get injured unless you are forcing yourself to squat a way that your not comfortable doing. Just start with a weight you can handle and do your squats nice and slow however you feel most comfortable.
bodybuildersreality.com

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 09:55:07 AM »
pumpster does give the best advice here...and that's do what's comfortable with the positioning of your feet...with a few other important things to keep in mind......

After picking the weight up and moving back...now THINK about what you're going to do next!

...break first at the hip, not at the knee (you'll have to concentrate on that one).. while coming down with feet flat on the floor you want the weight to be concentrated on the middle portion and the heels of your feet....

...on the way back up from parallel or slightly below you want to do the same with the weight being pushed up from the heels of the feet...

...keeping this in mind the machanics will come with practice and repetition...

Sledge

Chico_Holiday

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 10:01:26 AM »

Is that the position you use when MOS and Showstoppa give you some man-love?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 10:06:41 AM »
figure a way out to keep my knees back or screw it and just squat ?

will i get injured if i continue to squat without caring if my knees are in front of my toes?
or is that another one of those training myths?

is there any evidence to support either point of view?

The info's already there, it's up to you to try one or both approaches.

Just squat with a bar and no weight without thinking about form, until the form used is second-nature. All the instructions are a nice way to over-analyze something simple. Once you've established form that is comfortable using just a bar, add light-moderate weight.

-Keep the weight in the moderate area so that you'll have more control-do higher reps in the 12-20 range. Later when squatting's second nature, you can go heavier.

-1-2" block for the heels

-1-2 spotters, especially at the beginning when you're still unsure, and later on when you start to go heavier.

-Also try box/bench squats down to just below halfway-they're not only great for size and easier on the knees, they also require less balance and add an extra measure of safety in that you can sit down on the bench if stuck.

-Also try using a Smith machine or other type of squat machine if you're having balance issues-much easier and in some cases, as good or better than free weight squats-try both versions eventually before deciding which you prefer. Machines won't require spotters.

-Warm up is crucial for the joints-a few minutes of moderate stationary bike and/or a few light sets of squats, etc.

You're welcome. ;D

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »
Is that the position you use when MOS and Showstoppa give you some man-love?

That's funny shit ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
A lot of good advice here, the most important being that you gotta break from the hips and NOT the knees.. i.e. to intiate the movement by sitting back rather than lettin your knees go. The idea of keeping the knees from going past the knees is to make sure of that- it is a simply an indicator rather than a commandment to follow. In my assessment it generally does indicate imperfect form, plus there is the added stress on the knees that you do not want.

Contrary to what "fagster" (had to get u back  ;D) is saying here IMHO it is generally best that you follow "book form" first before "doing what works for me". You will need a lot of practicing to get the movement down- the reason for that has mroe to do with allowing for neuromuscular efficiency than it does with inducing hypertrophy.

Do not get in the "hitting muscles once a week" rut, you need to squat 2-3 times a week. I agree that box squats are a very good movement- amongst many of its benefits is that you learn to sit back into the movment- like someone mentioned its like sitting on the shitter to take a shit. I would say taht most of the squat work, especially the heavier sets, should be done with the box squat.
Obviously at the end of the day you need to apply what u learn, so some light Full Squatting following the box squats might be very helpful (12-20 reps).

Just my 2 cents  ;)
follow the arrows

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 08:47:12 PM »
Just a couple of things I generally disagree with.  (WADR)  generally speaking, heel plates might make this person’s situation worse.  We don’t know if he has long femurs, tight calves, tight hammies, poor ankle flexion, hip imbalances, etc. or just lack of experience.  I’m not against heel plates, but only for the right reasons.  Secondly, the Smith IMO does not help to teach a proper squat.  In fact it can teach poor habits.

Much of the exercise community has made the toe / knee position taboo.  However, since this knee position is unavoidable in sports, or even in everyday life (try walking up or down stairs or a hill without your knee crossing your toe line) the proper way to prevent injuries is to strengthen the musculature around the joint by allowing the knee to travel into the “unsafe” zone in a controlled environment.

All joints contain feedback mechanisms inside the connective tissue and joint capsules called proprioceptors. These communicate with your nervous system to tell your brain what position your joint is at. This is how you can close your eyes and be aware of exactly what angle all of your joints are at without actually seeing them. To simplify a complicated issue, the more time you spend with your knee past your toe-line, the more you teach your nervous system to activate the protective soft tissue around the joint therefore PREVENTING injury during athletic situations.

I think box squats are an excellent way to teach this exercise.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/boxsquat.html

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls9.htm
: