Author Topic: Finger Sprain- rehab range of motion?  (Read 5421 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Finger Sprain- rehab range of motion?
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:28:58 AM »
Rehab for a badly sprained finger?   It is not broken, had x rays taken, will be 3 weeks this Saturday (7/08).  Left hand index finger, joint and proximal phalange still swollen and sore.   Can only bend 1/2 way even if helping it to bend.  Hurts like hell after using or trying to use it doing every day stuff.   Even if I don't use it, I keep it out straight and try not to, it seems to get real tired and sore anyways.  Doc didn't think any ligaments were torn, but I will go back if it doesn't show any improvement, though I think it's too late for surgery at this point.   :-\    This is what I am going to try, if anyone has any personal experience please share:

Finger rehab:
After the first few days of splinting, start range of motion exercises.
Range of motion: Warm the finger for 10 minutes (heating pad or sink of warm water). Gently bend the finger until it begins to feel uncomfortable, then hold the stretch for 30 seconds. Rest for a minute, then do it again. Repeat 10 times. Now straighten the finger and hold for 30 seconds, rest a minute, and repeat 10 times. If the finger has increased discomfort after the exercises, ice the wrist for 20 minutes after the exercises. Do the exercises twice a day.

Finger sprain rehabilitation:
1.  Passive range of motion: gently assist the injured joint by helping to bend and straighten it with the other hand.  Hold each position for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times.
2.  Finger lift:  With the palm flat on a table and fingers straight, lift each finger up individually and hold 5 seconds.        Then put it down and lift the one next to it until all 5 fingers have been raised.  Repeat 10 times.     
3.  Fist making:  Make a fist, helping the injured finger bend if needed, and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
4.  Object pick-up:  Practice picking up small objects such as coins, marbles, pins, or buttons with the injured finger and thumb.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
Re: Finger Sprain- rehab range of motion?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
next time find a guy instead of fingering yourself....

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
Re: Finger Sprain- rehab range of motion?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:51:52 AM »
shhhh....  i'm at work, need to stay focused   ;D