Author Topic: leg seperation...  (Read 3390 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
leg seperation...
« on: July 06, 2006, 06:10:01 AM »
seems like an easy enough question...

my legs are thick....but no definition...how do you get awesome seperation like you see in competitors? just diet down? or are there certain exercises that benefit this more than others? all i do are squats, leg presses...and this week i'm starting to do hack squats too.

???

if ya'll could see me now compared to before i started coming here and asking a million damned questions a week you'd be shocked!  ;D  again all the help is greatly appreciated...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: leg seperation...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:04 AM »
diet
Z

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
aside from diet muscle contraction and connection i think helps. when ever i do extensions i stop at the up stroke and really squeeze and contract, i also do this between sets of other stuff like squats and leg presses.the more you can control and flex the muscle the better.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:13:09 AM »
do them light enough that i can do working sets and really squeeze? or go heavy?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »
do them light enough that i can do working sets and really squeeze? or go heavy?

i always think heavy is better but if you can't hold it at the top or your swinging it instead of lifting its to much weight. but don't go so lite you could know out 15 to 20 reps, somewhere between 9 and 12 i think is good plus drop sets on a machine are a great pump.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:57:47 AM »
maybe 2 higher rep sets after my leg presses and squats will help  :)

my problem with this though is when i tried it ..and just like when doing flyes on the pec dec when i really squeeze my pecs...i gas after 7-87 reps...and then i can't feel the squeeze anymore after a set or two...is that what i'm trying to accomplish here?

my chest is hard as hell now because of it...

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »
maybe 2 higher rep sets after my leg presses and squats will help  :)

my problem with this though is when i tried it ..and just like when doing flyes on the pec dec when i really squeeze my pecs...i gas after 7-87 reps...and then i can't feel the squeeze anymore after a set or two...is that what i'm trying to accomplish here?

my chest is hard as hell now because of it...

thats what generally happens if your doing it right, its like when you work bi's or tri's since your working so much blood into the muscle that you get to the end and can barley bend your arms but you lose the ability to really clamp down.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:15:12 AM »
yeah that's it!

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »
seems like an easy enough question...

my legs are thick....but no definition...how do you get awesome seperation like you see in competitors? just diet down? or are there certain exercises that benefit this more than others? all i do are squats, leg presses...and this week i'm starting to do hack squats too.

???

if ya'll could see me now compared to before i started coming here and asking a million damned questions a week you'd be shocked!  ;D  again all the help is greatly appreciated...

The answer is simple.  You have no cuts becuase your muscle is covered by fat.  As you know you can't spot reduce so if your looking for ripped legs you need to decrease your overall % of bf.

As stated above it is diet.  You can lift for hours and hours and if your not doing cardio or eatting correct (correctly I mean so your BF% drop) you will never have ripped legs. 

For some individuals you need to get down to 7 or 8 % bf before your legs separate.  Others can be as high as 10 -11%.  Individual differences.

Hope that answers your question.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 10:20:27 AM »
yeah i'm at 11%

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
get down there!
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
The main thing's diet, but also...

The right exercise, using moderate-high reps. Hacks are no. 1 for cuts, and on the short list of top developers. Forget all that crap about tensing, just do reps where you don't lock out or go all the way down to the bottom-stay in the middle 90% of ROM.

Tensing is exhausting, with diminishing returns after a few so use it sparingly.

Some believe as I do that squats can actually impede the development of cuts & refinement; could be better to forgo them while focusing on more effective exercises-hacks & even running/hills. Leg extensions are good specifically for the tear-drop but for overall quad refinement not as effective from my experience. They can be made better by using certain better-designed machines or by changing the positioning used during the exercise, away from the standard form.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 02:43:37 PM »
The main thing's diet, but also...

The right exercise, using moderate-high reps. Hacks are no. 1 for cuts, and on the short list of top developers. Forget all that crap about tensing, just do reps where you don't lock out or go all the way down.

If you want to tense, to it on the last few reps only-a whole set of that's exhausting with questionable effectiveness anyway.

really. so if there's a bodybuilder with great leg separation is because of his devotion to hacks and moderate-high reps?

like to read the science behind that, please post a link.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 02:46:23 PM »
like to read the science behind that, please post a link.

If you really think it's science and research you're simpler than I thought possible.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
If you really think it's science and research you're simpler than I thought possible.

your just making things up as you post dont you? "yeah well you could do like... ehum, high reps and leg extensions for the teardrop, where you stop and slowly lower it, not all the way, but nearly all the way to the bottom then rush it to the top and squeeze at the top for count of 12, that will bring out the separation..."
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 03:52:14 PM »
Have you talked to Popeye recently?

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
your just making things up as you post dont you? "yeah well you could do like... ehum, high reps and leg extensions for the teardrop, where you stop and slowly lower it, not all the way, but nearly all the way to the bottom then rush it to the top and squeeze at the top for count of 12, that will bring out the separation..."

its all a matter of opinion, what works for some wont work for others. When it all comes down to it all we really have is theories.
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »
nope its my way or the highway ;)
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 05:47:48 PM »
When it all comes down to it all we really have is theories.

Not quite. That's part of it..

It's really just a matter of pooling maximum info & experience, then systematic, personal trial & error.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »

It's really just a matter of pooling maximum info & experience, then systematic, personal trial & error.

exactly
big or bust

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
No disrespected offered, just my own impression: I would have to agree with Bluto. The Pumpster doesn't seem to offer any new or unque depth or insight into training methods.   Either not learning from practual experience or having a very shallow bases of knowledge. Just seems to repeat old BB'ing cliches. And when not doing that The Pumpster appears to be making thing up as he goes along. Or else he may copy's other people posts and exercise background, on this site, as part of his own informed knowledge. When he has copy's whole paragraphs from printed articles as his own, in the past, then it becomes clear, sadly, that he is caught up in confusion and inexperience.

And pity the fool who would dare disagree with him, even mildly. Rather than discuss a point of difference he tends to go off the deep end.

Hopefully I am in error about The Pumpster. Though I believe now that The Pumpster will release slurs, slander and insults upon my self. That is the nature of a unsure, fearful and weaker person. Too bad. And by all means, Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2006, 06:08:31 PM »
JPM the pro as usual making it personal/taking sides while offering no content....very professional there my small-minded one. Must be on his period. hahahahhaha

I'm really indifferent to "JPM's" rants, because he's highly emotional like a kid in a sandbox who doesn't get his way.

It's about training here, for some of us - stick to training, big mouth.  ;D ;)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
JPM as usual makes it personal...very professional there my small-minded one!

don't be so frigging brittle...:)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006, 06:09:58 PM »
Right!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2006, 06:15:10 PM »
JPM as usual making it personal/taking sides while offering no content....very professional there my small-minded one. Must be on his period. hahahahhaha

I'm really indifferent to "JPM's" rants, it's about training here, for some of us. I'm offering my experience as should others.

you did kind of take a shot at me..but im working at not being brittle to your opinion since just because i do not agree and think your sometimes a moron i respect that you think your correct and you are really trying to help...backhanded complement..:)