Author Topic: Rich Franklin's training  (Read 11680 times)

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
Re: Rich Franklin's training
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 09:15:13 AM »
I think JC Santana and Rhadi Ferguson got the best strength training for combat athletes.  I got a couple of their DVDs, and their transverse training, and SAID principles are great stuff!  My friend, Curtis Lefler, (RIP) used to train Vitor Belfort.  You should consider training fighters as well, Milos. 

I don't know Sanatana's or Ferguson's principles...and I hope they have good ones.
I believe that many trainers would have their rationale behind their methods...For me by far THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in designing the program for whatever athlete is WHAT this athlete wants to accomplish with any particular workout.

If MMA fighter comes to the gym to lift weights what is his goal?
Whatever that might be - that's how you design the program...

While I only watched here on getbog two video clips (Rich and Randy) and I saw multiple exercises in superset (rather - GIANT SETS) fashion - I agreed with the idea...but I saw many things that could be majorly improved...

As Randy said few guys that think it is easy to do what he does will soon realize otherwise...
I can only say - what Randy did would only be considered one light warm-up giant set for me...After that he would have to go to serious work...

Rich on another hand CAN last 45 minutes NON STOP doing the exercises his trainer chose...(I think too easy, simple and inappropriate...).

To me it looks like he is doing 45 minute light sparing without a single "big punch"...More like the leg work...

Instead he should have few ALL OUT bursts of FURY...with the weights - 3 to 5 minutes of non stop super hard action (knockout punch attempt with Wandarley Silva or Vitor Belfort kind of fury when they go after the hurt opponent) followed with somewhat reduced intensity but still far exceeding intensity seen on Rich's video...

Next FITSHOW episode I train two girls (figure and a bodybuilder) in PROGRESSIVE GIANT SETS fashion...(it should be out any day now...).
Last set they did consecutive 8 exercises for biceps and 8 exercises for triceps NON STOP...

Imagine something similar but choosing exercises specific for fighters and applying the highest intensity possible - performing explosive compound moves with virtually no rest in between.

I would need 3 months to turn "butterball" into Wandarley...(well at least as a punching machine...)

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 10:22:46 AM »
A good one I learned in boxing, is doing punching drills with 3-5lbs weights in ur hands for a few rounds. It really helps increase ur power and endurance! The worst is when u fight a couple rounds and you cant punch hard anymore, and ur guard drops. It makes it kinda hard to win the fight ;)

When I fought in the ring seriously I was training 3-5 hrs a day 5-6 days a week! So if that was their FULL work out I'd say they are all undertrainning. But I don't think thats all they do IMHO.
P

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 11:23:08 AM »
brutal size and strength, hahahahahahaha. ::)

You do realize he's a fighter not a bodybuilder don't you?

How long do you think it would take him to end your life? I'm going to guess 3 seconds and your skull would implode.

I realize you do this for effect but come on, Franklin is one badass dude.  ::)

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
I can't believe this subject is still being debated!  At first it was funny and now it's retarded!  Do you honestly think that some former pro BB can train a pro fighter and drastically improve his game at Randy & Richs' level?  Give me a F*KING break!  So some crazy training program is going to help Randy when
Chuck drops a bigass missle on him again?  I don't think ANYONE IN THE WOLRD OF FIGHTING has ever questioned Randy/Richs power or conditioning so for Milos or anyone else to come on here claiming there training is subpar should sign up and take lessens to fight first.  ANYONE in the world of MMA will agree that on game day these guys are as ready as anyone else, forget about what YOU think of their training, they get it done!  Now how they take a punch will never be tought by Milos or anyone for that matter!  I take that back, maybe we could have them do German power drills with chewing gum to strengthen thier jaw muscles!  Oh, brother, I gotta stop....

P.S.  Since some of you are in California go drop by Titos camp or any of the top tier guys' camps and spend a day trying to do what they do!  How hard do you think Rich or Randy would laugh if they read this thread about old bodybuilders thinking that their training isn't up to par?  I guess if you look back to TUF3 and see big Dan Freeman training guys you'll have your answer...

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »
Look at what Freeman's advice about steak and chicken did for Team Shamrock.....   

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »
Look at what Freeman's advice about steak and chicken did for Team Shamrock.....   

Exactly!!! ;D  Those dudes were worried about eating the whole time instead of training like fighters as Titos' guys did!!!  So much for the Bodybuilding diet and training in the world of MMA... ::) ;D

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:08 PM »
BB and fighting are 2 totaly differnt things are require totaly different ways of trainning for shure.
P

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 09:39:11 PM »
I can't believe this subject is still being debated!  At first it was funny and now it's retarded!  Do you honestly think that some former pro BB can train a pro fighter and drastically improve his game at Randy & Richs' level?  Give me a F*KING break!  So some crazy training program is going to help Randy when
Chuck drops a bigass missle on him again?  I don't think ANYONE IN THE WOLRD OF FIGHTING has ever questioned Randy/Richs power or conditioning so for Milos or anyone else to come on here claiming there training is subpar should sign up and take lessens to fight first.  ANYONE in the world of MMA will agree that on game day these guys are as ready as anyone else, forget about what YOU think of their training, they get it done!  Now how they take a punch will never be tought by Milos or anyone for that matter!  I take that back, maybe we could have them do German power drills with chewing gum to strengthen thier jaw muscles!  Oh, brother, I gotta stop....

P.S.  Since some of you are in California go drop by Titos camp or any of the top tier guys' camps and spend a day trying to do what they do!  How hard do you think Rich or Randy would laugh if they read this thread about old bodybuilders thinking that their training isn't up to par?  I guess if you look back to TUF3 and see big Dan Freeman training guys you'll have your answer...

I don't know you but your comment makes it appear like you do not know what your talking about.  Strength and conditioning programs, PROPERLY EXCECUTED, have been one of the MOST IMPORTANT factors in the increased success in any athlete in the past 10-15 years.  There is so much I can talk about, but it would make no sense what so ever to spend the time on a board.  The subject is a much more complicated one than you may think.  Evander Holyfield is just one of the hundreds of well known athletes that followed good/productive strength/conditioning programs at their peak.  I not only BB but trained athletes of all sort AND participated in many sports for over 20 years.  I got no idea if a guy like Milos would be a good coach for such athletes, BUT he DID point out that hypertrophy training was no where near the type of program he is refering to.   

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »

First of all let's have one thing straight - I have NOTHING but respect for both Randy and Rich...(and many other martial artists).
I was martial artist in Yugoslavia (trained judo for 10 years, karate for 2...and had training partner who was a Yugoslavian boxing champion with whom I spent countless of hours of sparing...)

What I am saying - AND I STAND 100% BEHIND IT - as much as training of Rich and Randy looks satisfying...it is far from BEST.

Are those two guys phenomenal athletes?
Off course they are...

Are they in phenomenal physical shape?
Off course they are...

Can they be even better?
Off course they can!

Weight resistance training for MMA fighters could be MUCH, MUCH  - M U C H better than what was shown on that video footage...
And I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Certainly weight training is only small part of complete conditioning of these SUPER ATHLETES...but as such - it should do EVERYTHING what was designed to do - and among other things it SHOULD increase SPEED and POWER besides the ENDURANCE...

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 11:21:42 AM »
i agree with milos 100%

the only problem is...alot of martial artists i talk to...believe that more resistance and weight training HURT more than they help their game.

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 05:12:19 PM »
Milos isn't disrespecting any fighters; being a bodybuilder doesn't mean you don't have any knowledge about resistance training for other kinds of athletes.  Milos has trained Olympic level sprinters, etc.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
i agree with milos 100%

the only problem is...alot of martial artists i talk to...believe that more resistance and weight training HURT more than they help their game.

Ya I was told that when I was in boxing too, but I still continued to lift, just with a different style and it helped me *A LOT* as of now I'm much bigger than a weight I would have boxed at and I've noticed if u keep up training for speed and mobility ur body adapts over 6mo-1yr or so and u just end up better than ever! I think the myth arises because ppl put on weight fast and their brain hasn't had time to reprogramme it's self for the new size. but if after time it does adapt! I punch and move just as fast as I ever did, I just have way more power behind it now. And for grappling *OF* course it really helps there.
P