Author Topic: Discuss your Worst Gym Accident  (Read 9253 times)

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
Discuss your Worst Gym Accident
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »
So I was at the gym on Tuesday, moved to a machine and saw that the weight stack was suspended about a foot off the bottom because the pin was in crooked. I figured I'd put a 25 pound weight in there to catch the stack if it fell while I looked at the pin, when of course, it crashed down on my hand. My thumb got caught between the top of the stack and the weight I was sliding in, but thankfully, wasn't broken. The pad in the tip of my thumb burst right out though, and I have to wear a massive bandage on it for the next few months. Hurt like hell, but I felt more stupid than anything driving myself to the hospital. Incidentally, my first time dealing with a doctor younger than myself. That sure makes 32 feel old...

Anyone else out there a who can't believe how stupid they were, looking back?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: Discuss your Worst Gym Accident
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:43:26 AM »
Yeah a bunch of kids on bodybuilding.com

Read this its hilarious!

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/embar.htm
just push some weight!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »
Yeah a bunch of kids on bodybuilding.com

Read this its hilarious!

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/embar.htm

Alexxx, do you have a job?
E

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 09:46:02 AM »
they had just rearranged the gym where i used to lift and they put a weight handle rack(the triangle rack that holds pulldown bars, handles and whatnot) about 3 feet behind the lat pulldown station. i forgot about it and after a set i got up and backed right into it. it was the loudest thing i've heard in a gym with all the bars and handles crashing down. the entire gym froze and i casually picked it all up and moved the rack to the corner where it should have been.

8)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:48:02 AM »
I've told it before.  Cutting a small piece of my nipple off with the weights.  Hurt like shit.  Please look it up so I don't have to tell it again and re-live it.

gatrainer

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 09:53:51 AM »
when I sharded in the middle of bench pressing :-[

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »
when I sharded in the middle of bench pressing :-[

do Ga people shard alot?
E

gatrainer

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:57:37 AM »
do Ga people shard alot?

only the ones who wear diapers

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »
only the ones who wear diapers

why did you leave the Y out of Gay?
E

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 10:03:58 AM »
1st and only fuck up,i started training when i was in the marines,we had a narrow power rack for squats,i just did 405 and my bro was going to warm up he got in late.so i started taking weight off one side of the bar needless to say i never saw a bar fly  so high before ..   
p

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 10:04:56 AM »
So I was at the gym on Tuesday, moved to a machine and saw that the weight stack was suspended about a foot off the bottom because the pin was in crooked. I figured I'd put a 25 pound weight in there to catch the stack if it fell while I looked at the pin, when of course, it crashed down on my hand. My thumb got caught between the top of the stack and the weight I was sliding in, but thankfully, wasn't broken. The pad in the tip of my thumb burst right out though, and I have to wear a massive bandage on it for the next few months. Hurt like hell, but I felt more stupid than anything driving myself to the hospital. Incidentally, my first time dealing with a doctor younger than myself. That sure makes 32 feel old...

Anyone else out there a who can't believe how stupid they were, looking back?
I went to the weight tree to grab a 45 pound plate and little did I know that a dinky 2.5 plate was in front of it. I didn't see it. So I pulled the 45 plate off and the little bastard 2.5 pound plate fell on my baby toe. Worst pain of my life. Blood all over my sock. The best part is I continued to workout and didn't notice all the blood until I took my shoe off at home.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 10:06:32 AM »
does anyone ever have a barbell collapse on them while benching after exhaustion? Happens to me about every two months. I am always like "hey, bro, a little help?"
E

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »
I went to the weight tree to grab a 45 pound plate and little did I know that a dinky 2.5 plate was in front of it. I didn't see it. So I pulled the 45 plate off and the little bastard 2.5 pound plate fell on my baby toe. Worst pain of my life. Blood all over my sock. The best part is I continued to workout and didn't notice all the blood until I took my shoe off at home.

Ouch...Force = Mass x Acceleration, so a few feet up and that 2.5 pounds becomes a hell of a lot more.

In my case, I'm not sure what happened, but I assume my thumb got caught pinched hard and fast between the weight I was inserting and the top of the stack. Surely, my thumb would have been pulverized by a stack on stack collision of maybe 50 pounds from a few feet. A curse on anyone who leaves a machine with the stack suspended by a crooked pin.

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 10:13:30 AM »
does anyone ever have a barbell collapse on them while benching after exhaustion? Happens to me about every two months. I am always like "hey, bro, a little help?"

Only once, and I was too proud to ask for help. I rolled it down over my stomach to my pelvis. Hurt like hell though. It's almost impossible to get your strength back for one lousy rep if you can't take in any air

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 10:21:16 AM »
Only once, and I was too proud to ask for help. I rolled it down over my stomach to my pelvis. Hurt like hell though. It's almost impossible to get your strength back for one lousy rep if you can't take in any air

I wouldn't allow it to drop on me. I always will the weight up!
just push some weight!

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »
monster 185 bench ;D
p

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »
My buddy was using the seated Hammer Strength Chest Press machine. The one where you put the weights on the handles and push out. Well he had it stacked where the last 45 was barely on there. He always puts his feet and legs to the left and right instead of in front. Needless to say a 45 came off the post and slammed down on his foot. A few broken toes.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 10:46:07 AM »
I was running up the gym stairs and all of a sudden tripped and came down crashing at full force. Luckily I had my trusty pinky finger to land on. Needless to say, it took a month to heal the fractures.
just push some weight!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »
When i was 18, i was on flat bench doing dumbells and my left arm gave way......good thing for a spot from my bro..it was bout to smash my grill!

When I was 20, i forgot to put the collar on my bar when doing squats, one side droped and the seasaw effect took care of the otherside...opps DID I DO THAT ?

2 years ago, I did shrugs with 110 dbs, and on the way to puttin them back i tripped and smashed the mirror in front of the rack....

Hahahaha Monster Clumbsiness
L

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 10:47:50 AM »
I was doing deads a long time ago and when i was bending over I let out a fart......

not really an accident but it fucked up my workout that day...
L

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 10:51:25 AM »
Benched 720 last year raw.  Forgot to bring a video camera, so no one could see. 

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 10:52:53 AM »
My worst gym accident didn't even involve weights.  I was training with this dude and his wife, and I notice some ugly crack-whore looking bitch with MONSTER jug implants.  She was the nastiest ragged-out should've-quit-dancing-decades-ago stripper trash on the planet so I laughingly made some brutal comment about her to the couple I was training with.  The guy's wife says "That's my sister..."

So now I don't comment much when I see chicks like that ;)

Slick Vic

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
I personally don't have a story for you. Sorry.  :)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 10:58:22 AM »
I was 17 and just starting to lift weights when this happened...just got done doing some light benching when i was sliding a 35lb plate on the bar and the bitch slipped through my hands and landed on my left big toe...it hurt real friggin bad but i didn't want to look like a tool in the gym so i shrugged it off...when i got to my car my sneaker was soaked in blood and ended up having to get taken to the hospital where explaining how it happened became the joke of the ER!  
footloose and fancy free

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:54 AM »
I've told it before.  Cutting a small piece of my nipple off with the weights.  Hurt like shit.  Please look it up so I don't have to tell it again and re-live it.

LOL , i knew it onlyme would post this!!! i think i read this story like 100 times...but it still is bizarre!
!