Author Topic: Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder  (Read 7989 times)

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:01:47 PM »
Hey Men,

After trolling here for a few weeks (that really means months) I thought some of you  could really benefit from reading the book "MUSCLE: Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder", It is the true story of a skinny Oxford University grad's journey into the world of bodybuilding from a YMCA in NY to Venice Beach, CA, from natural to roided, It is filled with lots of real life characters, gym rats, and  groupies as he takes you along on his funny and sometimes pathetic journey. His opinions  about the bb world are hysterical and entertaining throughout.  The book caused quite a controversy when it was first published, many in the bb world wanted it to go away fast. It is not necessarily a knockdown on bb, it just presents the dark side thats all, and I think it is good to do that.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0380717638/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-4524280-3408725?ie=UTF8

Has anyone on this board read it? Would be great to hear your opinion of it.

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
Well worth a read, entertaining and well written. :)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
it was a decent book.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
"He competes in a bench pressing competition and a bodybuilding contest. The harrowing tale of his pre-contest diet (e.g. not using Crest toothpaste because it's sodium content is too high) makes it easy to see why Sam came to his senses and stopped forthwith."

This is silly.  No competitive bodybuilder would have to do this.  Why try to give the impression they eat or train differently or with more effort than we do?

HAHAH you would be suprised how delusional bodybuilders really are....He is telling the truth.....I rmemeber questioning some competitors on here and they were scared to have sugarless gum,cinnammon in the last few weeks of pre-contest.....Delusional these people really are....Sam is funny as hell and it is a great read.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »
Humorous book. One of the guys that beats him in his contest ended up killing his girlfriend in san fran a few years later.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:19:58 PM »
I read it and liked it.

He talked extensively about steroids.  He is a tad bit of a drama queen and the wording is very much Julian Schmidt, but I'd recommend it.   A bit anti-climatic tho. 8/10.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:20:57 PM »
You read it and liked it?  If it's a good book I may just have to make some purchases on amazon since I was planning on checking out Bob Paris' books also.

A friend of mine who juiced for years told me that eating moose meat was the magic bullet.  ;D

Why does anyone try to pretend there is a special diet or training program that makes for success in muscle building?  Like these weird-asses who do single armed dumbbell overhead presses while standing on one leg on a swiss ball to strengthen their core?  ???

"Ain't nothing to it but to do it" - Ronnie Coleman

That says it all.

MATT!!!!!!!!!!! You HAVE to read it....You will love it......IT shows you how delusional bodybuilders are.......You have to get it tonite.  IF you can`t find it, I will send you my copy.

It is really funny and true. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 03:22:07 PM »
I read it and liked it.

He talked extensively about steroids.  He is a tad bit of a drama queen and the wording is very much Julian Schmidt, but I'd recommend it.   A bit anti-climatic tho. 8/10.

I think that was the point though.....Since when is bodybuilding climatic....Usually most peoples "careers" just end, and nobody cares.  Perfect ending!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »
I think that was the point though.....Since when is bodybuilding climatic....Usually most peoples "careers" just end, and nobody cares.  Perfect ending!

you're right. 

If you picture the guy as Tom Prince the whole time you read, it's WAY funnier. English major, self-esteem issues, the whole shebang.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 03:35:49 PM »
LOL!  I was going to pick up Bob's book like I said, so I'm sold.  Might as well ship it with the same order.

The review that said Samuel bashed bodybuilding in order to win favour back with his father and his high society colleagues is probably the most accurate.  Typical scapegoating.

The Andreas Munzers, Tom Princes, and Samuel Fussells of the world should not be bodybuilding.

Well Sam is good, in that he realizes it.  Tom Prince still doesn`t and Munzer is dead.

This isn`t written from a delusional perspective, but instead he writes it as a I can`t believe I was that delusional and everyone around me is delusional and doesn`t realize it.

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 03:36:20 PM »
LOL!  I was going to pick up Bob's book like I said, so I'm sold.  Might as well ship it with the same order.

The review that said Samuel bashed bodybuilding in order to win favour back with his father and his high society colleagues is probably the most accurate.  Typical scapegoating.

The Andreas Munzers, Tom Princes, and Samuel Fussells of the world should not be bodybuilding.

I read some mixed reviews on Bob's book but picked it up anyway and really enjoyed it.  :)

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
I just thought it was a great book because it made me realize, at the time, that I was lifiting for the wrong reasons. I stopped for a while and then continued on with a more healthy perspective.

I think a lot of guys at the gym want to be big to avoid any feelings of insecurtiy, weakness or smallness. But wouldn't it be better to develop a job or talent that will give you real power.  I think their belief that more muscle will protect them from ever feeling small is the reason they will do anything to get big, even risk health and avoid relationships and jobs. But the irony is that they are are actually making their lives smaller.

Plus the book was just funny as  hell, especially his apt in Venice, it was his "bunker" for getting big. Just a place with protein powder, food and bodybuilding mags. Him and his roomates just eating , crapping and lifting morning noon and night.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:45:10 PM »
Take whats written in the book with a grian of salt it was an okay read but not q00% accurate I recall Ironman magazine and Lonnie Teaper going on about how the book was BS .

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
Take whats written in the book with a grian of salt it was an okay read but not q00% accurate I recall Ironman magazine and Lonnie Teaper going on about how the book was BS .

I would say their Magazines are full of more BS. hahahah

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 03:48:53 PM »
I enjoyed Gorilla Suit Matt if thats what you may get , John Hottens book Muscle was really good .

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 03:58:41 PM »
I enjoyed Gorilla Suit Matt if thats what you may get , John Hottens book Muscle was really good .
Yeah "Muscle" by the english author is a GREAT book.

I like the stock quote by kerry kayes...

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »

I don't know, a lot of people in the bb building industry hated it, but of course they did, it wasn't a favorable light on the industry. But they should have supported it, In the long run it would have helped improve the industry.

Anyone care to guess who some of the characters in the book were.? I always wanted to know who the former champion, gym owner who was banging all the gym bunnies was? And who was the guy whose father was training him and encouraging him to do roids and get as big as possible? ANyone know?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 04:26:43 PM »
Yes, I enjoyed it...when it came out 14 years ago.

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 04:45:26 PM »
That is an older book, but it's an interesting look into just how extreme some people become with "the lifestyle."  If you are or have ever been a true hardcore bodybuilder, you'll find yourself remembering sam's mindest (with pride or shame; for you to decide)...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »
I don't know, a lot of people in the bb building industry hated it, but of course they did, it wasn't a favorable light on the industry. But they should have supported it, In the long run it would have helped improve the industry.

Anyone care to guess who some of the characters in the book were.? I always wanted to know who the former champion, gym owner who was banging all the gym bunnies was? And who was the guy whose father was training him and encouraging him to do roids and get as big as possible? ANyone know?
Pretty sure it was doug brignole who owned the gym. the guy moved to pasadena not the mecca for some reason...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »

I like the stock quote by kerry kayes...

I like Kerry's American watch lol

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 06:27:49 PM »
I bought the book back in the early nineties (when it first came out), and the last time I read it was a couple of years ago. Very entertaining read. "Vinnie" was probably my favorite character in the book. I have actually known a few people (from gyms) over the years who seem to have the same unhealthy level of meatheaded, obsessive-compulsive, pathetic narcissism as Sam and his three roomates. It's unbelievably funny and sad at the same time that there are actually people as bent as these guys walking around in society.
Greed is good!

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
Very well-written and entertaining book. Highly recommended. Puts other BB books like Gorilla Suit to shame.

Special "Cliterature" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 09:29:43 PM »
This is my 1999 amazon posted commentary on Fussell's book. 

A case study in working out for the wrong reasons, August 7, 1999

Fussell is the son of one of the most prominent literary and social critics of our time, and the breakdowns in his family led him to repudiate it by burying himself in a sub rosa existence, in this case amateur bodybuilding. He writes accurately about the gym and competitive scene, and sections of this book have a pungent black humor. There is a seamy side to the scene that Fussell captures well. However, he does not capture the quiet heroism of many people who devote themselves to the platonic pursuit of ideal physical form. I don't think Fussell could have met the right people in the scene because of his contempt for others (which he shares with his father). Until a more articulate writer comes along, this one probably offers the best personal account of bodybuilding. I never warmed to Fussell as a person or felt he was a successful competitor, though, and would be interested in reading an account of the scene by a successful bodybuilder who cares more about his fellow man and woman.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 12:40:05 AM »

I found a few significant mistakes in the first UK edition of Muscle, don't know if they got corrected in the US edition.  Things like claiming Reg Park won the Mr America (he was British, not American).