Author Topic: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia  (Read 178113 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »
This whole discussion shows how pathetic the IFBB is and how scared most bodybuilders are. The IFBB Pro division is a business. I remember way back in 1970 that Ray Beck had to pay significant money to the IFBB to hold the Mr Canada contest in Vancouver. I recall that Paul Graham had to pay $20,000 to the IFBB to hold the Mr Olympia in Sydney in 1980. So promoters pay the expenses and fees and end up making little or nothing for all that trouble. The IFBB always makes something in the fees they charge.

The IFBB has a life president in Ben Weider. They appoint so-called vice-presidents like Paul Graham who serve as long as Ben wants them to serve. There are no elections for vice-presidents. People have tried for years to get rid of Paul Graham in Australia but he merely changes the name of the organization and continues as usual. It is so bad many have dropped out of going to his shows. The bodybuilders kiss ass as they always have done. Guys like Lee Priest are real men but are few and far between. Most go along with what Ben and the IFBB say and do. Those who disobey or speak out get punished and soon find they cannot win or are not featured in the magazines. It is all a game and Ben runs the show with his assistants and everyone does what they are told.

The IFFB judging rules suck and should have no currency. The NABBA rules for judging are clearly superior. I had better rules of an organization we ran after the debacle of the 80 Olympia. We gave up because bodybuilders would go with the IFBB. A pity but they get what they deserve. It seems to me the IFBB treats the bodybuilders as if they are dopes.

The rules re competing in other contests is there to control the bodybuilders. The IFBB is a business not a democratic organization. Bodybuilding is closer to boxing than any other sport. Ben Weider was misguided when he made the rules and anyone following Ben is misguided, too. I am sick of the state of bodybuilding and want little to do with it. Wayne hasn't corrected the mistakes made by the IFBB. The whole system needs to be redone and we need the best brains to do this. We don't need knuckleheads and yes men running the sport.

I am not pleased with the judging process from the top to the bottom. Rules, criteria, judges, selection, contests, etc. Not good enough. Year and year there are problems and controversy. That really spoils the whole sport and nothing is being done about it. At least a rival organization might help improve the sport but we will see how ruthless the IFBB is and there is a sad history involving those who did the WWF Vince McMahon deal. Those guys got blackballed and couldn't compete in IFBB shows. We all know how they screwed Sergio Oliva and Bev Francis so that neither could win the Olympia.

I agree that Chick is trying to do a tough job but from where I am he is a company man. The Pro bodybuilders are gutless and always have been. Except a few guys like Lee Priest. There you are.

JeanPaul

• Getbig II
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2006, 08:17:57 PM »
I try and get as much work for IFBB pros as I can...tv, movies, guest posings, appearances, etc....I do what I can...If I can get work for Vince, I certainly will...

And what exactly did you acomplish for athletes? Can you name atleast one athlete you actually "helped" with tv, movies, etc?

It seems lately you been more of an IFBB rep rather than athletes rep.  If you were looking out for athletes, you would support the idea of athletes making as much money as they can if it means competing in PDI, so be it. Athletes rep, not IFBB. From my understaning you should help Lee not to be suspended as you are supposed to be on his side, but all you do is state that he will be suspended.

Shawn Ray was much better rep than you. shawn was doing nothing, while you are doing something and that is you are causing more damage than anything. why dont you retire? Oh I forgot what else would be doing?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »
And what exactly did you acomplish for athletes? Can you name atleast one athlete you actually "helped" with tv, movies, etc?
It seems lately you been more of an IFBB rep rather than athletes rep.
If you were looking out for athletes, you would support the idea of athletes making as much money as they can if it means competing in PDI, so be it. Athletes rep, not IFBB. From my understaning you should help Lee not to be suspended as you are supposed to be on his side, but all you do is state that he will be suspended.
Shawn Ray was much better rep than you. shawn was doing nothing, while you are doing something and that is you are causing more damage than anything. why dont you retire? Oh I forgot what else would be doing?

Why do you comment on things you have no clue about?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »

LOL!!! Shawn named an award after himself . . .

That's actually all he did

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:37 PM »
LOL!!! Shawn named an award after himself . . .

That's actually all he did

what award was that?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »
Bob works hard for the athletes whether they appreciate it or not. He's also more than jsut a pretty face

Miss Karen

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2006, 08:32:31 PM »
Agree Vince you sound like a smart person and have been around for years,so I guess you would know that arnold never cashed that 1980 Olympia cheque from paul graham so the fix was in if Mr Graham wasn't making money he would not be there no dif to Mr Ben and Joe and Co.Do you think 5th place for Branch is worth more than $1000??? I think Lee got $5000 for 2nd and it was $10000 for 1st now how much did the promoter make after IFBB costs???I think alot more than Branch Lee and RR the winner got.What about chick just saying there is no judging of the posing round what a Joke they the Pros Vote to keep something in that doesn't even get used.LOL.What a poor state IFBB and  Pros are in.IMO.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2006, 08:32:45 PM »
what award was that?

The Shawn Ray Best Poser Award

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
The Shawn Ray Best Poser Award

yeah... in who elses name would he give away $10,000 that HE raised?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2006, 08:42:09 PM »
yeah... in who elses name would he give away $10,000 that HE raised?

doesn't negate the fact that you're by far a better athletes rep.

There's nothing wrong with Shawn the bodybuilder or Shawn the person. I'm just saying not much got done until you were voted in

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2006, 08:53:48 PM »
Wow, a lot of smoke blowing up a lot of asses on this string.

First, Vince.  He's shot himself in the foot more than once, including denouncing his loss of the Masters O in 2002 as a racist conspiracy (accusing people who voted him a winner in the show 5 times in a row).  I was at the Masters O & from what I saw, Don Youngblood won the show fair & square.  Vince made a great comeback this year, though, & since he can go the the O, why not do it?  He won't crack the top 6, but he might get into the top 10.  It's a prestige thing, not a money thing.  Since when did competing lead to money awards for most pros?  

Next, Chick.  No one paid more dues than he did, hanging in as a top amateur far longer than anyone else ever did.  He's doing an impossible job, & gets a lot of shit for it.  At least he's willing to communicate with the yahoos who don't know shit about what they're talking about.  

Next, Lee.  He says what he thinks, no matter what it is.  Sometimes it's smart, sometimes it's not.  But he won't cut his conscience to fit this year's fashions.  You gotta give it to him.  If he says Emperor Weider isn't wearing any clothes, then sure there are going to be repercussions.  But it's his choice.  As for being banned from the IFBB, he isn't exactly outside the whale.  More like the goldfish.  The IFBB needs him more than he needs it.  He's one of the two white guys who can get on a cover & sell mags (Branch is the other one).

Next, Ben & Joe.  They did their homework, outlasted (& outlived) their competition, & mythologized themselves in their own mags, creating an empire by destroying their competition.  They haven't had any since the early 1980s, & now that DeMilia is doing to them what they did to the AAU (with DeMilia's help), they're finally going to have to own up to treating their pros like difficult children.  The Weider dynasty is nearly over anyway.  They can't last much longer, & their son isn't following in their footsteps.

There is enough bad blood to go around in bodybuilding.  Any enterprise in which individuals agree to be judged by appearance is going to produce bad blood, because the judging is subjective & often political (& so corrupt).  But that is what bodybuilding is, & the people involved know it.  If they don't want to be part of it, no one is forcing them to.  Every once in a while, there's some good blood in bodybuilding as well.  

No one has a crystal ball on the PDI.  Let's see how it plays out.  Competition between federations can lead to more opportunities.  Since the men haven't had nearly the opportunities for pro cards that the women have had recently, more pro opportunities for men can't hurt.  & at least some of the mags (other than M&F & FLEX) will play them up.  

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »
not from the IFBB's position....it's a clear violation of the rules.

Isn't this 'rule' going to be done away with during the IFBB's big pow-wow in September?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2006, 09:13:49 PM »
Isn't this 'rule' going to be done away with during the IFBB's big pow-wow in September?

not to my knowledge...

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2006, 10:48:19 PM »

First - lets here it directly from Vince Taylor on what he is doing. Did he or did he not sign a contract with the PDI, and like Lee, can he agree to do the Olympia too. Technically, we won't know until the night of the NOC?

Second, Chick does a fine job as athletes rep. Problem is that the athletes don't care about helping Chick get some things done. It is that simple. Chick worked very hard getting things ready for a meeting at the Arnold, and something like 8 athletes came. That is it. Too bad. So until the athletes want something and contact Bob, complains about him are not justified.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2006, 10:56:08 PM »
Paul admitted living with Arnold, and Ken Moran from New Zealand way back in the fall of 1968. They shared a house in LA and perhaps others shared that house, too. Maybe Bob Bruce was there. Well, Paul was arrested in Honolulu in Jan 1969 for exporting stolen cars to Australia. He spent a couple of years in jail and came out a bigger and wiser guy. Ken Moran ended up in Vancouver, BC and I made friends with him. He told us he had to get out of the US quick because he had an accident and had to leave. How he managed to be driving a brand new red Boss Mustang I do not know. I believe he took that vehicle back to New Zealand. I am not saying those vehicles were stolen or if the others living in the house were involved. I do know that somehow Paul was able to attend Arnold's wedding in the USA and that is difficult to do if you have a criminal record there. He also holds down the job of IFFB vice-president in Australia. I also wondered if Arnold 'owed' Paul and never spent his winner's cheque. I sold 200 tickets for Paul for the 80 Olympia but I believe he lost money on the contest. There were plenty of empty seats but it turned out to be quite the event. Paul has done quite well since out of promoting bodybuilding contests and other businesses. He still has a gym. Good for him if he overcame his past and did well for himself. Those of us who didn't take short cuts had to do it the hard way and perhaps never did as well as some of those guys. I did okay for myself.

My ex said she wouldn't have married me if she knew what she knows now. She was a nurse and we couldn't get a visa to go to California. Had she had the right education we might have gone and I might be the gov of California! At the very least I would have owned Golds Gym! Joe offered his gym to me when I was there on my honeymoon in June 1969. The price was $50,000! He turned down a suggesting that he finance me. He told Arnold to invest in real estate and said that one could expect to make only $30,000/year out of a gym. He was right about gyms and gave Arnold some good advice. Who would have thought Joe's name would become famous? Or that Arnold would achieve what he did?

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2006, 12:06:52 AM »
Vince:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Reinhold Niebuhr

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2006, 01:53:35 AM »
maybe the ifbb has paid vince enough money to cover his fines from the PDI and still have enough to make it worth his while posing?

money talks don't it?

has Wayne offered enough?...sure a contract is binding, but you can break them easily if you have the dough.

my maths..

pdi contract =, say $100k.

ifbb offer to vince = , say $220k.

vince breaks pdi contract and pays fine to wayne...leaves him with $20k more than with wayne.

i bet nowhere in his contract does it say that he has to pay for advertising and marketing costs. but it will say that he must compete for his $100k.

its all in the content.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2006, 02:41:15 AM »
Looks like Vince simply chose who can pay him the most money short-term. No one's fault but his, whatever comes of it.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2006, 02:51:38 AM »
damn y the hell did wayne part ways with IFBB...i am sure PDI is going to end like vince mchmans WBF..PDI cannot compete with IFBB in terms of supriority and status...and as far as taylor he has made wise decison by staying with the IFBB...IFBB is the no. 1 bodybuilding federation in the world and y the hell PDI is even  existing when already there is a federation wich has been around for more than 30yrs..

RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2006, 04:04:10 AM »
Every show i dropped out of i gave notice. How many have i dropped out off? 2 - one i signed - the other i didn't. The last Olympia Robin Chang was given over a months notice and he never got back to me. The giving the finger was at the Photographer request taken the year before the article! They just chose to run it with the story.

As for the Article i guess it was true that's why i had so many pros coming up to me saying thank you for telling the truth about it telling it like it is.. My mouth sorry for speaking my mind to bad the others don't Oh that's right they do just not in public or to the people who matter.

Ben Weider - i made a joke about he must be smoking crack and get in trouble. But yet didn't Ronie say the same and still does about Jay? What does that say in the rules about bad talking about competitiors? No nothing is forgotten just like the athletes don't forget the shit that has been done to us.

Jay Cutler is not the Chairman of the IFBB. Very big difference

Honestly, I did applaud you for speaking your mind but you have to remember that sometimes "keeping it real" will get you in hot water.  That's life Lee, its not what you say, its who you say it to and who you're talking about and your comment was directed at Ben Weider. 

You'll have to deal unfortunately with that bullseye the rest of your career
A

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2006, 04:45:56 AM »
who won the golf event?

Stupid question.

We all know that whatever the official results, Ron was the REAL victor.

300+ yard drives straight down the fairway, laser precision like short game...

Who's gonna be able to deal with that?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2006, 04:54:35 AM »
Bad move by Vince taylor, the judges in Australia were really pushing for Benfatto and Taylor, the judging over there at that show was not consistent with continental US judging if that show was in the states, Branch would have won and Taylor and Benfatto would have been a few places lower, mark my words the judging at the olympia wont suit him or his classical look, he wont make the top 10.

The PDI has sort of shot itself in the foot though a lot of the guys really arent good enough to be pros, but if they can survive and put a few more shows on im sure a lot of second and third tier pros will follow, for example Lee will win in september earning more money as a pro than say 95% of ifbb pros this year, id say there will be plenty of ifbb pros jumping ship as soon as they establish them selves and if they can no one is saying anything as they dont want to leave until the federation gets some creditibility.

One thing though Chic you seem to be so happy to give it to Wayne about Taylors contract, lets see if hes for the athletes and all that garbage, he should sue Taylor, his u turn if it is and there is a signed contract he has definatly hurt the contest and effected the creditabillity of the federation, hes obligated to protect the other athletes and their chance at earning a livelyhood by being with the PDI and i believe he should sue him to protect the other athletes, try to be a little impartial, the PDI will help all existing iFBB pros by creating choice in the market place, there is now more demand which will more likely cause an increase in prize money contracts etc, like it did in the WBF disaster,

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2006, 04:57:59 AM »
It would be a lethal blow to DeMilia if Lee Priest were offered some guest posing contracts through the IFBB.

Also, if the PDI loses Galanti back to NPC, that could be the final blow to it all. Who wants to pay $100 to see TJ Schoenborn beat a bunch of guys who have problems placing in NPC contests?

If Demilia would've had the money of McMahon, being able to sign athletes to salaries, or have that money for prize in the competitions, it would be a different ball game.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2006, 05:09:03 AM »
Vince got a sweet guest posing contract.

Lee got a sweet guest posing contract (The NOC).

The only difference is that Lee will be getting a trophy along with his cheque for his guest posing.

They both should be able to compete in the Olympia.

If the IFBB suspends Lee for guestposing at the NOC, then they should suspend Kamali for guestposing in his kitchen.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2006, 05:58:15 AM »
hehehe  I know exactly what is happening with Vince.  But, I won't tell.  And when it happens, mark this post cause you will see why I won't say anything.  240 screen print this post and see what happens after the NOC.  Oh and by the way this isn't something I made up it comes from the horse's mouth.

HMM Vince Taylor, top 3 at the "O"??