Author Topic: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia  (Read 177903 times)

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
Re: Vince Taylor out of the PDI & into the Olympia
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2006, 12:36:37 PM »
Why on Gods green earth, would the IFBB let their athletes compete in a RIVAL federation????

As Ron and I have REPEATEDLY pointed out...there would be no advantage to the IFBB...only to the rival federations. The athletes know this and are under no obligation to sign with the IFBB...they can chose to compete anywhere they wish. If they believe going elsewhere will give them better opportunities, then so be it.

Guys are having a tough enough time making ends meet in ONE federation....you think 2 watered down federations have a BETTER chance? There are guys in the IFBB that don't have contracts...you think all of a sudden there are DIFFERENT supplement companies that don't know these guys exist?

THE ADVANTAGE WOULD BE MAKING MONEY.The ones who get overlooked in the IFBB could atleast try and get a fair go in the PDI.As for the IFBB not strong arming anyone.My contract is up with Twinlab and i have had a few companies interested in signing me.But now they are getting words from ...... and .........Not to as i am a Pdi athlete.I will fill in the blanks later.Just shows you how childish it all is.And why would they be watered down if guys could compete in both? You would have the same guys in different shows in different parts of the country.The fans get to see more and get to see different placings from different judges might be a good thing.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2006, 12:39:23 PM »
Chick is only out for the IFBB's athletes ........not athletes in the IFBB

L

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2006, 12:40:23 PM »
1. No one cares about YOUR opinion

2. I'm the IFBB Athletes rep, and thus welcome and create all kinds of opportunities for IFBB athletes...not every athlete in evey federation.

I am an IFBB athlete right? YES I AM. So help me Bob create an opportunity for athletes to compete in both and make money.Come on i am still an IFBB athlete so help me.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »
...because it's a clear infraction of the rules, and he will be suspended. I don't want to see Lee suspended...I want to see him on the Olympia stage with the bst in the world, where he stands to make $30K-75K...not $15K beating a bunch of guys that have no business standing on stage with him...

Glad your not his manager...

But the rules are being broken all the time and nothing is done.Why now enforce them on me?Look at the rules and tell me there are no athletes breaking them now who will be onstage at the O with nothing done to them.You know i am right.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2006, 12:43:05 PM »
Correct. Lee Priest is an IFBB Athlete. The PDi is an opportunity for him to earn money on a weekend when the IFBB is not holding any shows. Why not "welcome" this "opportunity for an IFBB athlete" ?

Because it is a rival organization. That simple. If Lee wants to compete in racing cars while also competing in a bodybuilding event, that is fine. Hell, if Lee wants to be a basketball player while bodybuilding, go for that too. Wayne is trying to change things, but it is up to the IFBB to decide if they want to, and obviously, they don't.  By the way, if you can give me some NFL players to compete in a rival NFL league, that would be great too. Shall we ask the NFL on that?

Well, seeing as you had 4 people show up for your last athletes meeting, i can see what kind of faith the athletes have in you.

I know - it is terrible. The athletes dont bother to help the athletes rep, don't bother to get another one, they don't really care. That is too bad. Right now, they care about making sure they have various contracts, supplements, getting prepared for contests, and making sure they cover expenses for them and the family. A little effort for Bob would help, but that requires some extra work, and a phone call to Bob saying we support you.

Since when are bodybuilders athletes? The IFBB doesn't own those who compete.

They are athletes - same like one can say dancing is a sport, or any other non contact sport.

The thing that many IFBB pros would like to see changed is the ability to work shows/expos/seminars outside of NPC/IFBB sanctioned events.

This I agree with. IFBB Pro want to be able to go where they want. There should be no restrictions on them even going to a PDI event to watch, or work a supplement booth, etc, especially if they are IFBB pros. UFC fighters check out other federations events all the time, but dont comete in it.

gary67

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #180 on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:05 PM »
THE ADVANTAGE WOULD BE MAKING MONEY.The ones who get overlooked in the IFBB could atleast try and get a fair go in the PDI.As for the IFBB not strong arming anyone.My contract is up with Twinlab and i have had a few companies interested in signing me.But now they are getting words from ...... and .........Not to as i am a Pdi athlete.I will fill in the blanks later.Just shows you how childish it all is.And why would they be watered down if guys could compete in both? You would have the same guys in different shows in different parts of the country.The fans get to see more and get to see different placings from different judges might be a good thing.
Hey Chick i bet if you compete in the PDI your not taking first place. Why do you think that is? ::)

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #181 on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
**Why on Gods green earth, would the IFBB let their athletes compete in a RIVAL federation?**

Since when are bodybuilders athletes? The IFBB doesn't own those who compete. I strongly resent the control tactics that the IFBB use over those who want to compete in their contests. In my opinion bodybuilders should be able to compete in any contests as long as they join up and pay the required fees. All this contract stuff is pathetic. No wonder contests seem to be controversial every year. I have seen the way bodybuilders have been manipulated over the years. No wonder most end up rather meek and disillusioned. The IFBB has never respected bodybuilders as people nor treated them right. That IFBB meeting you posted is illuminating. I am hardly impressed. Where are the bodybuilders in the executive positions? The whole organization seems like a club. You belong and obey or get the boot.

WELL SAID :)

JeanPaul

• Getbig II
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2006, 12:45:09 PM »
Chic, I think you do care what I say, since you respond to everything I say. But this is not a popularity contest.

By stating IFBB rules you are trying to reinforce them, but as IFBB athletes rep you supposed to help bend those rules. It seems like GETBIG members care more about athletes than you do. I said it before and I will say it again, Lee Priest is an IFBB athlete why dont you do your best for him NOT to be suspended.

It's funny how we never heard anyone saying anything about suspending him, which he probably will be. But you the only IFBB rep who comes on here stating how an IFBB pro will be suspended.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Because it is a rival organization. That simple. If Lee wants to compete in racing cars while also competing in a bodybuilding event, that is fine. Hell, if Lee wants to be a basketball player while bodybuilding, go for that too. Wayne is trying to change things, but it is up to the IFBB to decide if they want to, and obviously, they don't.  By the way, if you can give me some NFL players to compete in a rival NFL league, that would be great too. Shall we ask the NFL on that?

I know - it is terrible. The athletes dont bother to help the athletes rep, don't bother to get another one, they don't really care. That is too bad. Right now, they care about making sure they have various contracts, supplements, getting prepared for contests, and making sure they cover expenses for them and the family. A little effort for Bob would help, but that requires some extra work, and a phone call to Bob saying we support you.

They are athletes - same like one can say dancing is a sport, or any other non contact sport.

This I agree with. IFBB Pro want to be able to go where they want. There should be no restrictions on them even going to a PDI event to watch, or work a supplement booth, etc, especially if they are IFBB pros. UFC fighters check out other federations events all the time, but dont comete in it.

Yes Ron i agree they should be able to watch or works boths.This is one reason Adela and i seperated fighting over the fact she wouldn't come watch me compete in fear that she would be blackballed come Olympia. Nothin like good old support. :)

We want bodybuilding to progress to grow.The IFBB and it's monopoly on it is just keeping it from going nowhere.

gary67

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2006, 12:57:11 PM »
Hey Ron the last time i checked NFL football players were paid like professional athletes. Bodybuilders are paid like shit if it wasn't for the supplement contracts these guys would starve. For what they put there bodies threw they should be making a hell of alot more money than what they make. Everybody else gets paid why not the athletes? Ron you know why. The puppet show called IFBB

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »
Actually "Bud" what doesn't look good is the desperate measures the IFBB is taking to undermind the PDI. Doesn't the IFBB understand that by trying to sabotage the PDI, they are making the "peanut gallery" want the PDI to succed even more? The IFBB survives because the "Peanut Gallery" spends it's hard earned money on IFBB shows. Piss us off and we will be more than glad to take our bussiness else where. 

As much as I love your passion and your desire for the IFBB to HAVE to give fans their money's worth...you've got it ALL wrong, brother.

The IFBB exists for the purpose of selling nutritional 'supplements'.  That's the beginning, middle, and end.  The bodybuilding events are just a means to an end...the money garnered from them is PEANUTS compared to what the powder merchants make annually.  In many cases, their contributions to bodybuilding shows are done at a loss.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2006, 01:19:12 PM »
This is one reason Adela and i seperated fighting over the fact she wouldn't come watch me compete in fear that she would be blackballed come Olympia.Nothin like good old support. :)

She was afraid she'd be blackballed for sitting in the audience?

If that's true [and I hold out the possibility that - like the rest of us - she simply finds competitions dull and was looking for an excuse not to go] that just about says it all about the way the IFBB does business, doesn't it.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2006, 01:23:58 PM »
We have went over this. The same reason why any other professional in any other sport cannot compete for any organization. Whether it is football, soccer, baseball, bowling, etc.

FALSE

PGA golfers can make appearances and play on multiple tours.

Professional hockey players (NHL) can make money in multiple leagues simultaneously.

Professional soccer players can play for clubs in both the U.S. *and* Europe in the same calendar year. 

You don't really see it with basketball and baseball players, because they're making so much money anyway.  Hi-salary American football only exists in the U.S., so NFL players don't moonlight either.

If bodybuilding is a sport (or at least a sporting activity), why not get in step with other sports?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2006, 01:25:30 PM »
Hey Ron the last time i checked NFL football players were paid like professional athletes. Bodybuilders are paid like shit if it wasn't for the supplement contracts these guys would starve. For what they put there bodies threw they should be making a hell of alot more money than what they make. Everybody else gets paid why not the athletes? Ron you know why. The puppet show called IFBB

The last time I checked, NFL had a multi-year billion plus contract with the television network,  45,000+ people a game, etc.  The more the supplement companies provide contracts, the more the suppement companies come to the expos, the more the provide sponsorships to the IFBB show, they more prize money can come out of it.

As for bodybuilders, I wish when someone becomes a pro, they would go to a one day seminar from the seasoned pros who can tell them how to promote themselves via a business. Bodybuilding Productions.

The IFBB exists for the purpose of selling nutritional 'supplements'. That's the beginning, middle, and end. The bodybuilding events are just a means to an end...the money garnered from them is PEANUTS compared to what the powder merchants make annually. In many cases, their contributions to bodybuilding shows are done at a loss.

Tre, are you kidding me. 10-12 years ago, the expos were small, there were mostly bodybuilding shows with a few booths. As the supplement industry grew in the last 10-12 years, so did the expos, and so did the prize money for bodybuilders, and the contracts they can have. There is a major difference between a decade ago and now, in terms of financial benefits for the bodybuilders. Come on! Learn your history.

PGA golfers can make appearances and play on multiple tours.  Professional hockey players (NHL) can make money in multiple leagues simultaneously. Professional soccer players can play for clubs in both the U.S. *and* Europe in the same calendar year.

Really? Show me where an NFL hockey player plays for the NFL today, then plays for another league a two weeks later, then goes back to the NFL to play in the same year? Where?  Same with any sport, as far as I know. Just show me one NFL player that does that. Hey, I play for the NFL Kings, and also the Long Beach Ice Dogs. See you Saturday at the Staples Center, and next week at the different organization. No go..

IFBB Pro can, at any year, decide which organization they want to go to. They just don't renew their pro card with the IFBB.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »
The thing that many IFBB pros would like to see changed is the ability to work shows/expos/seminars outside of NPC/IFBB sanctioned events. This makes sense to do as they would make more money and it helps further the NPC & IFBB to others.

So who is working towards achieving that goal?

Can YOU explain why the IFBB *doesn't* want its member athletes to have as many income opportunities as possible?  I can.  

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #190 on: July 17, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »
We have went over this. The same reason why any other professional in any other sport cannot compete for any organization. Whether it is football, soccer, baseball, bowling, etc.  The athletes can choose where he wants to compete.

You don't get banned from the NFL for spending a year in the CFL.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »
You don't get banned from the NFL for spending a year in the CFL.

If someone competes in the CFL while being in the NFL, you can beleive that their will be issues

As for an IFBB Pro, if they choose to compete in the PDI, there will be no problem with the IFBB. Next year. If an IFBB Pro chose to renew his pro card this year, then they are obligated to finish out the year, otherwise they will be suspended. Next year, if one goes to the PDI, or if they have not renewed their pro card this year, they can go to the PDI with no suspension.

Now, if they want to come back to the IFBB afterwards, that is a different situation, one which in recent times we dont know what will happen.

If I remember correctly, the WBF bodybuilder were eventually allowed to come back to the IFBB.

Is there a recent case of an IFBB Pro who left that wanted to compete again and was denied??? If they didn't violate the rules, and are not a current IFBB Pro, now that is an interesting question?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »
Well, seeing as you had 4 people show up for your last athletes meeting, i can see what kind of faith the athletes have in you.

Whoa - don't blame Chick for more IFBB 'pro' card holders not being willing to MAN (or woman) UP.

Listen to the whispers - there are a lot of complainers out there competing, but when it's time to put their heads together and talk about bringing about some changes, all-of-a-sudden, everyone is happy with things as they are.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2006, 01:36:13 PM »
UFC fighters check out other federations events all the time, but dont compete in it.

They used to, I know (not sure about these days).  But at least those guys are getting paid. 

And that's why the UFC is growing like crazy while the IFBB is pretty much going down the toilet.

Oops.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:14 PM »
Really? Show me where an NHL hockey player plays for the NHL today, then plays for another league a two weeks later, then goes back to the NHL to play in the same year? Where? 

During the NHL lockout, many of those guys (I don't know the exact percentage) who had contracts with their teams here in N. America went overseas to play and would've been welcomed back at any time if the NHL season had been re-started.

During the NBA work stoppage a few years back, a handful of players did accept short-term contracts with European teams in order to stay in basketball shape.  These were individual decisions, not team.

PGA golfers regularly make appearances - for money - on other tours around the world. 

When is the last time you attended a bodybuilding event to see Ben Weider or David Pecker? 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:51 PM »
If someone comepte in the CFL while being in the NFL, you can beleive that their will be issues

Look at the Ricky Williams situation. 

He got a suspension from the NFL and then went to look for work with a CFL team.

The NFL is upset about this.  Too bad. 

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
When it comes down to it, Vince Taylor has to do what's best for him.

You know what this means, a better placing for the other guys...

Long Live the New Breed aka PDI

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »
Why is the IFBB trying to hardball companies that sponsor the PDI (and PDI athletes) or threaten not to run their adds in Weider publications.Atleast one company stood up and said listen it's my money we will sponsor who we like.And if you don't like it i can pull my money from NPC and IFBB shows.Yeah the IFBB always looking out for the better of Bodybuilding. ;D

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Lee, just tell us that you will not abandon the PDI....

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2006, 01:59:07 PM »
Lee, just tell us that you will not abandon the PDI....

not if it's in his best interest at that particular time.  Which is how it should be.