Author Topic: Advice wanted on the combination of cardio and weight training  (Read 3628 times)

jus1986

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Hi to everyone out there this is my first post after many visits. Coming back from a couple of shoulder dislocations i have spent the better part of this year with the intent of bulking using a split of 5 sessions. As my summer in Australia is a few months off I will be looking to cut in a few weeks while maintaining as much of my current muscle mass as possible. Just wondering what would be the better option first of all doing 1 day weights than one day cardio, or integration of the two. As there is so much info out there I am a bit bamboozled on the right approach. Thankyou in advance to all who respond

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Advice wanted on the combination of cardio and weight training
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:49:38 AM »
Both work, it's more a matter of which you would prefer and would stick with. Try each for a while and see which you like better. I like to use cardio to warmup prior to lifting.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
i am intersted in trying tthe 1 day weight, i day cardio routine. i wanna try this so basically i would be hitting the muscle every 8 days instead of 6, this may help due to the extra recovery time. im gonna try it for a while and see.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 02:31:36 AM »
if you wanna lose fat do as most bodybuilders do, add power walks. walk for 45-60minutes. most do this before breakfast, often everyday.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »
if you wanna lose fat do as most bodybuilders do, add power walks. walk for 45-60minutes. most do this before breakfast, often everyday.

Power walking's good for the geriatric crowd. For everyone else there are more effecient ways.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 07:48:51 AM »
i was running 3 miles in the morning and then working out at night. however waking up early started to take a huge effect on me and my runs were less then good.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 07:52:35 AM »
Power Walking has been  shown to give many benefits to a lot of people. There is much less stress on the knee's, hip's, shin's,ankles and feet themselves from the constant jarring/pounding from running.  And with less wear and tear on the joints and connective tissue. Most noteable, the affects on the lower back and spine.  Quite a few sport medical journals suggest, that for a lot of people, Power Walking is an ideal replacement for fat burning, as well as jogging it's self. People tend to forget that focused running is not the same as jogging.

If anyone finds that running or even jogging is not for them, than Power Walking is an effective way to burn calories and insure a better cardio level.. Power Walking is not done at a slow pace, but rather fast with full action from the arm swings. Even as little as 20 minutes a day can improve cardio levels. The usual duration is from 30 to 45 minutes and 3 to 5 times a week. This would include using a tread mill, a track or country roads. Walking on a grade is so much the better. Thought not Power Walking, I ran a lot of steep fire trails in the mountains, when getting in football shape. I would think that you could apply that to Power Walking with very good results, even if you only had hills in your area. Power Walking in deep sand is a very good endurance builder and fat burner. Good Luck.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »
Power walking's good for the geriatric crowd. For everyone else there are more effecient ways.

where i live everyone does it. including competing bodybuilders. go figure.
Z

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
No offense offered but I just wonder why The Pumpster changes or rewrites his post all the time? Case in point; he said he never heard of anyone doing Power Walking and it was a waste of time, in so many word. Now he changed that around. Or why he never gives the persons name, only "quote" to what ever part of it he wants to use. Just wondering, that's all. Good Luck

Your turn Pumpster.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »
Can you lift in the mornings and power walk/run at night on days you don't do legs?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 02:52:33 PM »
No offense offered but I just wonder why The Pumpster changes or rewrites his post all the time? Case in point; he said he never heard of anyone doing Power Walking and it was a waste of time, in so many word. Now he changed that around. Or why he never gives the persons name, only "quote" to what ever part of it he wants to use. Just wondering, that's all. Good Luck

Your turn Pumpster.

yeah it's annoying. seen that many times.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
No offense offered but I just wonder why The Pumpster changes or rewrites his post all the time? Case in point;

Mainly it's done to give my stalker JPM something to talk about-I seem to be his raison d'ete to be perfectly honest, and he's obviously lurking online for sizeable periods of time.

At the same time i'm glad I've been able to raise the bar and teach him a few things, the vindictive little bitch can't stop thinking and talking about me each week!

Seriously JPM the way you obsess on me each & every week now is flattering, you weirdo.
 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »
yeah it's annoying. seen that many times.

This from a "discriminating" blockhead who no one takes seriously on getbig. His heroes include Stallone of all people, and Bluto. Yes, that Bluto from Popeye.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »
No malice intended towards The Pumpster, just some random thoughts:... Can we say unstable and paranoid, with a fragile ego, thinking that someone is actually stalking him. Believing that some one would really care that much or even bother with this pityfull mental midget? Though he may think that all those hahahaha's and assorted happy faces are cleaver, they do remind one of a child in the 3rd grade. Or, sorry to say, a senile pattern overtaking him, due to his advancing years. My prayers are with him, I hope he does seek help soon. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:36:37 PM »
You know you've "arrived" on getbig when you're deemed important enough that some jerk is suitably obsessed to follow you around the boards making comments each and every week. Now that's power!  ;)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 07:18:43 AM »
This from a "discriminating" blockhead who no one takes seriously on getbig. His heroes include Stallone of all people, and Bluto. Yes, that Bluto from Popeye.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

you dont think it's annoying when people change their posts? why not? you reply to something only to find it has been changed when you're done.

why you need to change your own posts all the time?  i rather have you answer than than start talking about stallone or popeye. thanks.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 07:23:59 AM »
Bluto you consistently ask the most banal, mindless questions.

Since you're highly intelligent why don't you ask getbig to change the board so that posts can't be modified? They seem to agree with me that it's ok but maybe they'll realize that it's a travesty what's going on here!  ::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 07:41:58 AM »
Bluto you consistently ask the most banal, mindless questions.

Since you're highly intelligent why don't you ask getbig to change the board so that posts can't be modified? They seem to agree with me that it's ok but maybe they'll realize that it's a travesty what's going on here!  ::)

there's times when changing a post can be necessary, but you do it all the time, you're obviously slow to understand and you need to go over your posts and correct them in order for them to make sense.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 08:02:50 AM »
You must have a lot of free time to know this or care. ::)

As I said, this could become another of your mindless crusades-contact getbig and tell them that the edit function's evil and must be eliminated.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »
You must have a lot of free time to know this or care. ::)

As I said, this could become another of your mindless crusades-contact getbig and tell them that the edit function's evil and must be eliminated.

edit function is fine, i've used it myself once or twice, but using it on every single post like you do is retarded and confusing.
Z