Author Topic: Rare Sighting....  (Read 8149 times)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: Rare Sighting....
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
SNORE>>>>>>> You fags don't get it. Nobody cares about how good you are. It's all about style over substance. You want to make money and get pussy or be praised by a bunch of basement dwelling starving artists?
$

sinkoci

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 12:48:10 PM »
What about Chuck Schuldiner (RIP)?

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »
SNORE>>>>>>> You fags don't get it. Nobody cares about how good you are. It's all about style over substance. You want to make money and get pussy or be praised by a bunch of basement dwelling starving artists?

I'd rather have talent and be remembered for that. Faking to become successful isn't something to be respected.
~

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:28 PM »
Buckethead was raised by chickens in a chicken coop

;D ;D ;D
a

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
Then your into music for the wrong reasons. Music is a vehicle to get pussy.
$

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 12:54:12 PM »

Finally someone posts something worthwhile! :)
Yngwie was great, but that was 20 years ago. As been said before, he hasn't done anything really new in quite a long time.
Coltrane was constantly improving. Dylan, hasn't improved, but his music is not one that merits improvement. Pop/top 40/rock and roll has always been about familiarity and structure. Jazz, a la  Coltrane, is about how many things you can do/say, without repeating yourself. Often viewd as playing as many versions of the same thing, without reiterating a previous statement or word.

There are plenty of great metal/rock guitarists, and many that have improved or changed, that would top the list before Yngwie. And NO C.C. DEVILLE IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!!!

Eddie Van Halen, John Frusciante (SP...dude from the Chili Peppers), Jason Becker prior to his illness, Marty Friedman, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai......
I'll contend that C.C. DeVille revolutionized the way the electric guitar is played today...Buckethead would have took up the flute or the harp if he didnt hear the screeching riffs and rythmns of C.C. guitar and the awesome power of Posion's music...I may even go as far as to say Jimi Hendrix wouldnt have played guitar if it wasnt for C.C.   Hendrix may have been dead 10 years before Poison came out with the 'Look What The Cat Dragged In' albulm but thats besides the point...
?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 01:01:20 PM »
What did the cat drag in?
a

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »

It dragged in Bret, C.C, Bobby and Riki...4 of the greatest musicians this planet has ever known...
?

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 01:03:19 PM »
yngwie has unfortunately been satisfied with releasing generic crap lately, but in his heyday he wrote some incredible stuff. when his first album came out in 84 it blew everything out of the water. people were like 'EVH who?' and now there are hordes of guys doing the 'neoclassical' thing which yngwie started.
his stuff now is too repetitious but his first 3-4 albums were extremely quality music.

dream theater has incredible players but alot of their music is kinda lame.

you know who really kicks ass? Children of Bodom...unbelieveabe. that little frontman plays everybit as well as yngwie of anybody and does vocals at the same time. their other members are just as skilled as the dream theater guys, and their songs are actually good.

as far as 'the fastest' players, no one is even close to michael angelo batio or rusty cooley.

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:23 PM »
I have a whole Buckethead mix cd. Too Many Humans and Night of the Slunk are my tops. Hog Bitch Stomp is good as well.

Jumpman especially and Spidercrawl are the shit for training music.

I listened to albums "Colma" and "Electric Tears" earlier today  :)

For Mom, Hills of Eternity, Wishing Well, all great tunes.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »
. I'm not gonna say that I'm a real good player, but learning that "speed kills/No boundaries" by Angelo was not really that hard.
this is rather paradoxical. if you really can play that song, then you are a FUCKING GREAT player. that isnt his most difficult/fastest peice either. i will have to check out this Fareri guy, never heard of him. have you heard rusty cooley play? his songs arent the greatest but as far as pure skill hes the freak of freaks. he uses an 8 or 9 string guitar, and can do complete sweeps all the way up and down the fretboard in about one 1/2 seconds.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »
here check this out

http://www.rustycooley.com/video.html

technically speaking the guy is so good its stupid, he does things with his fingers that no man can do. he also uses an 8-string guitar that only an alien could play like he does.

watch these(these are basically show-off clips):
8-string solo fall 2003
improv jemfest clip
under the influence

KTMckay

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 02:14:35 PM »
who the hell is that guy?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »
Dumb mods keep this on the main board but if I woulda started a gossip thread... noooooooooo its the end of that.
just push some weight!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 03:30:18 PM »
Roy Clark is the baddest

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 03:39:06 PM »
Hee-Haw!
a

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »

Tom Kiefer from Cinderella is even better...
?

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »

http://www.francescofareri.com/     He's got chops that are insane, but his vibrato needs a lot of work. Check out the videos he's got online.

yeah that guy is a nut as well....i noticed in his bio it says, 'started playing in 1995' and then by 97-98 he was recording demos and doing concerts, thats after 2-3 years of playing :-X

these guys all just 'have it'...i never mastered sweeps/arpeggios even on a standard 6 string. my right hand just cant keep up. :'(

the thing is, sometimes i think these guys have become so skilled that they have trouble playing anything slower anymore; they have the incessant need to speed up or add tons of flash to anything they play...yngwie live, nowdays even on his slower peices from early in his career(which were excellent) he cant help but add bits of shred in anywhere he can and it just ruins it. makes me appreciate a guy like alex lifeson, who can play fast if he wants but most of his solos are slower and more melodic, fit the song insanely well and are ultimately more memorable on average.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006, 06:29:12 PM »
I'll contend that C.C. DeVille revolutionized the way the electric guitar is played today...Buckethead would have took up the flute or the harp if he didnt hear the screeching riffs and rythmns of C.C. guitar and the awesome power of Posion's music...I may even go as far as to say Jimi Hendrix wouldnt have played guitar if it wasnt for C.C.   Hendrix may have been dead 10 years before Poison came out with the 'Look What The Cat Dragged In' albulm but thats besides the point...

rev·o·lu·tion·ize Pronunciation (rv-lsh-nz)
tr.v. rev·o·lu·tion·ized, rev·o·lu·tion·iz·ing, rev·o·lu·tion·iz·es
1. To bring about a radical change in: Television has revolutionized news coverage.
2. To subject to a political or social revolution.
3. To fill with revolutionary principles.

CC Deville hardly did any of that. He, himself said in a documentary about Poison, that "I had the potential to be a great guitar player. But somewhere between the record and my fingers, something got lost!!!"
CC is a good guitarist, but did he do anything special that anyone before him did not? No. Does he have a legion of fans following him a la Eddie Van Halen, Hendrix, or Randy Rhoades? Nope. He's good but in no way shape or form did he revolutionize the instrument.

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
Youngblood do you understand what sarcasm is?

As an aside, CC is lucky he never odeed with how much coke he was shoving up his nose back during his day.
BKS - Guardian of Truth

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »
I raise a toast to all of us...
Breaking ours backs everyday...
But if living good is such a crime...
Then lord please put me away!

or something like that  ;D
a

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 06:56:46 PM »
And Giant Steps is one of the best albums EVER released.

It's a fantastic album, yes, but just for me in general, I'd put about 200 albums above that. Just a matter of taste. For material, it's certainly a groundbreaking album!!! 'Trane was the first composer to write a song that is based on modulating in major thirds. "All The Things You Are" does this too, but 'Trane had every chord progression be entirely based on thirds. ii-V, ii-V, ii-V-I is the entire song.
However, lots of albums would top my list prior to that one, and not all jazz. Excellant pick though. :)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 06:57:44 PM »
Youngblood do you understand what sarcasm is?

As an aside, CC is lucky he never odeed with how much coke he was shoving up his nose back during his day.

That didn't come off as sarcasm, not how I read it. A few smilies would help get the point across though. ;)