Author Topic: Sore forearms...  (Read 2854 times)

Mysticobra

• Getbig II
  • GET BIG!
Sore forearms...
« on: July 25, 2006, 02:51:15 AM »
lately my forearms have been killing me after lifting biceps and sometimes back.  I will be lifting and as soon as I go to let the bar down the bone in my forearm gets a very sharp pain.  It happens in both forearms.  My friend said its tendanitis (sp), is he correct and if so what can I do to fix it? 

TNTBOOM

• Getbig III
  • die or diet
Re: Sore forearms...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
i had the same problem a few months back
try using chalk next time you lift
the reason your forearms hurt is cause the weights slip off of your fingers and the extra preassure couses the forearms tobe in constant tension.

it worked for me .
give it a try
 8)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
I had the identical problem about 7-8 months ago.   What worked for me was to tightly wrap my forearms when I lifted biceps.  I also found that certain types of curls hurt worse than others (you know it when you feel it) so for awhile I avoided the ones that hurt the worst.  Between the wrapping and temporaily staying away from the most painful exercises, the pain subsided in about two months and has not reoccurred since.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
barbell curls shoot pain in my wrist/forearm , but i just do them anyway. other bicep exercises such as the ez curl bar, dumbells, french curl give me no problems- so, either avoid the curls that hurt or man up and just do it baby!!

Theseus

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:58:08 PM »
I've been having this problem also. It used to only bother me when I did curls with the easy curl bar, so i just refrained from training exercises that caused it.  Recently, though, its gotten worse, it hurts when i do strait bar and even the bi. curl machine (especially when i open my hands to let go). 

So now ive just been working through it and my wrists and forarms have been killing me.  I don't think its from the weight slipping, even when i curl the bar the movement itself sends shoots of pain. Im gonna ice them down big time to see if that helps. I'll also try some of the remedies posted thus far.

I also have some friends suffering form this as well, so if someone knows what this is from please post a solution.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:18:29 AM »
some people here might be experiencing tendonitis?

TonkaSalami

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
also try stretching your wrists up and down and warm them up well.  the muscles in the forarms need to be stretched like every other muscle.  I have problems with my forarms when doing both biceps and triceps.  Also, on exercises that you know hurt the forarm, loosen your grip on the bar.  I know an old training tip is to squeeze the bar as much as possible to power through movements but in doing that it can put a lot of pressure in muscles of the forearm which causes this pain.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
I had this and was able to get rid of it. Basically it's tendonitis or similar, all caused by repetitive motions that create strain. A typical combo that cause this is pulling exercises that involve biceps and back work.

You have to remove the stress by trying variations of what you're doing, sometimes very minor changes make a difference. Wraps might also help in removing some of the stress, they might work in conjunction with finding more comfortable grips. Working through anything other than minor pain isn't practical long-term. If the pain's pronounced it's worth stopping any exercises that cause direct pain for a while, until some degree of healing occurs.

It's worth trying variations in grips using any number of different bars-E-Z curl, hammer-grip, DBs instead of BB, etc. Also to try using pulley versions of the exercises-the value of pulleys is (1) the stress comes from different angles that stress the areas differently, and (2) with pulleys you have a wider variety of handles and rope attachments that can be used to change the angle of the forces that are exerted. By trying different angles and different grips, the pain can fade away over time-standing pulley curls for example, are a good alternative to BB curls and may not stress the forearms as much. In my case it only took a minor change in grip to make a big difference, you have to try variations and see what the difference is.

Eventually if you don't get rid of it, you can get a cortizone shot from a doctor, which will remove the pain. Very effective. However if you don't remove the actual cause of the problem and find a better alternative in each case of problems, the pain will return eventually.

chain_gang_member

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:03 AM »
I had the identical problem about 7-8 months ago.   What worked for me was to tightly wrap my forearms when I lifted biceps.  I also found that certain types of curls hurt worse than others (you know it when you feel it) so for awhile I avoided the ones that hurt the worst.  Between the wrapping and temporaily staying away from the most painful exercises, the pain subsided in about two months and has not reoccurred since.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

i did the same but i also got some physio done.. it helped