Author Topic: Sartorius muscle  (Read 13809 times)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Sartorius muscle
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »
the sartorius, aka "tailor's muscle" is the longest in the human body.   its called the tailor's muscle cause the tailors would sit in the cross legged position.

try this:  either get ankle weights or somehow affix plates to your ankle/foot and keeping your thigh straight and pointing directly forward, rotate your foot so it swings past and in front of your other knee.  this is the primary action of the sartorius.   im not sure how much hypertrophy you'll get from this, but its probably the most direct way to hit that muscle.

Thanks!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 01:01:41 PM »
Robby Robinson said an Adductor machine is the most worthless piece of shit in the gym
He had terrible legs.... Thats like asking Lee Preist what is easier to do , a windmill or 360 dunk.
L

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »
Jaejonna....just for the record that machine in the pic is an ADDUCTOR
If it was an ABductor the pads would be on the outside of his thigh

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQKBS/102-3543154-7646553?v=glance&n=3375251
I realized that when I was searching for the pic, but forgot to change the post..
L

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 01:03:28 PM »
He had terrible legs.... Thats like asking Lee Preist what is easier to do , a windmill or 360 dunk.

or a 300 pound bench press ::)
just push some weight!

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 01:15:42 PM »
If you mean serratus  muscle then do bar twists and plenty of situps!

Oh my, owned.  Please son you are embarrassing yourself again. 

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2006, 01:29:34 PM »
Does anyone have any idea of how this muscle can be more directly trained than by doing squats, leg-curls, knee/sit up type exercises, etc? 

Jrod, to develop the Sartorius muscle (or to emphasise working it, rather), you need to do what are called Ballet squats. You can either use a Smith machine or lean back on a Swiss ball and you should have your feet placed way wider than your shoulders and have them splayed out - kinda like the 'squat' movement ballerinas make onstage (and hence its name). It's not really practical to do it with a(n Olympic) bar since, it puts you in an awkward position and you won't be able to maintain balance. Range of motion is upto you - try to go down at least till your hips are on the same level as your knees, i.e. parallel.

As you can see, you can't do this exercise with a free bar. Best thing to do would be to do it on a Smith machine. Of course, as with every other muscle group development, how much you can develop it by and how much it shows primarily depends on your genetics and to a lesser extent, on your condition. You don't need a lot of weight for doing Ballet squats and they shouldn't replace the primary Squats and / or Leg presses in your leg workouts. But do a couple of sets after doing your main bread and butter exercise for legs, with a weight that let's you fail around 10 - 12 reps, give it about 2 months or so and see what happens  8)

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
The m. sartorius is a muscle with 3 main functions:

-adduction of the leg (e.g. adductor michine)
-endorotation (turning your toes/knee inward)
-flexion in the hip (e.g. by doing kneeraises)

Peace
D

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »

she looks like she's pretty used to that position.....but she forgot to open her mouth for dude #5
its comin today

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »
kwiol/dawakaman,

You are both correct. Excellent explanations. 

Jrod, the air-bench squat (the one described as being done by Dorian) works the sartorius muscle but more like a flexibility movement rather than developing the muscle.

Vince Gironda used to suggest that Sissy Squats works it but Larry Scott (who as you know trained at Vince’s Gym) demonstrates how doing a special sissy squat movement on the hack machine will work this muscle. He demonstrates this performance on his video’s “Hidden Secrets” (www.larryscott.com). If you carefully view the performance your see that it fits the criteria kwiol/dawakaman both described.

Those of us who trained with Rory Leidelmeyer know that he had us do workouts with normal stance squats and full workouts with ballet squats. This is a good way of breaking up the workload.

Mike Mentzer who I mentioned had prominent sartorius development would often take a ballet stance on the linier (straight up and down) leg press which I’m guessing hit this muscle. Unfortunately it’s difficult to find a gym with a linier leg press now. I guess it’s too old school.

and keep moving!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »
Oh my, owned.  Please son you are embarrassing yourself again. 

Hey jackass go look up abdominals in the dictionary. Ask the great phylosophers to write you a poem for never seing your own. Owned!
just push some weight!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »
alexx how many abdominal muscles are there? (not talking about obliques)
its comin today

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »
alexx how many abdominal muscles are there? (not talking about obliques)

Alexxx doesn't talk the talk - he just walks the walk. So there, Sir William  8)

;D

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 03:51:56 PM »
These are all good explainations and everything but you're forgetting the most obvious.......muscle control. Before any of you decide to step on stage be sure you know how to control each muscle group individually. Just about any quad exercise will develop the sartorious....but in the end it's all about muscle control!!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 04:11:23 PM »
Alexxx doesn't talk the talk - he just walks the walk. So there, Sir William  8)

;D

alexxx does the "tuck it between the legs, stuff the bra, 3 a.m. streetwalk" if you know what i mean
its comin today

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 04:13:58 PM »
alexxx does the "tuck it between the legs, stuff the bra, 3 a.m. streetwalk" if you know what i mean

Sorry Alexxx, but I have to say

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D

Edit*: You should come down to the Y and throw some insults around Sir William - you would fit in perfectly ;D

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »
Sorry Alexxx, but I have to say

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D

Edit*: You should come down to the Y and throw some insults around Sir William - you would fit in perfectly ;D
Yes you would be surprised at the high rate of ownings that occur when somone attepts to run from being jaejOwned
L

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2006, 08:13:32 PM »
Jrod, to develop the Sartorius muscle (or to emphasise working it, rather), you need to do what are called Ballet squats. You can either use a Smith machine or lean back on a Swiss ball and you should have your feet placed way wider than your shoulders and have them splayed out - kinda like the 'squat' movement ballerinas make onstage (and hence its name). It's not really practical to do it with a(n Olympic) bar since, it puts you in an awkward position and you won't be able to maintain balance. Range of motion is upto you - try to go down at least till your hips are on the same level as your knees, i.e. parallel.

As you can see, you can't do this exercise with a free bar. Best thing to do would be to do it on a Smith machine. Of course, as with every other muscle group development, how much you can develop it by and how much it shows primarily depends on your genetics and to a lesser extent, on your condition. You don't need a lot of weight for doing Ballet squats and they shouldn't replace the primary Squats and / or Leg presses in your leg workouts. But do a couple of sets after doing your main bread and butter exercise for legs, with a weight that let's you fail around 10 - 12 reps, give it about 2 months or so and see what happens  8)

Thanks a lot, I think I'll give these a try.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2006, 09:05:29 PM »
abductor wouldnt do it, an adductor would though

Actually, it would be the ABductor, HOWEVER, there would be more effective exercises as this is a hip flexor.
:

dzulboy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Big hard and turbo charged
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
If you mean serratus  muscle then do bar twists and plenty of situps!

all looks no brains     oh wat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  nevermind

truy useing an ankle cuff with your back to the cable crossovers and kick forawd from the hip keeping your leg straight adn aiming you foot slightly out wards

warning   light weight only and no mor ethen 2 sets of around10-15 to start   you can hurt yourself easily

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2006, 11:37:39 PM »
show us your satorius dzulboy  :-*

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »
Does anyone have any idea of how this muscle can be more directly trained than by doing squats, leg-curls, knee/sit up type exercises, etc?  I cant seem to find an answer to this question. 
I always thought that (assuming quads/hams are already well developed) a visible sartorius muscle gives an illusion of being leaner and just looks a lot better than a flat inner thigh.
I've noticed that Chris Cormier's are very prominent.

The most effective way to try and isolate this muscle would be to use a low cable (bottom cable on a cable cross machine). I would attach one of the ankle staps (usually leather with the sheepskin looking stuff on the inside for comfort) to each leg. You obviously will need to do each leg independently and alternate. The motion would be similar to ADDuction (pulling in towards the body) while simultaniously pulling in and upward direction.

I hope this helps.