Author Topic: New car negotiation  (Read 20583 times)

body88

Re: New car negotiation
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »
Good luck.

The old sticker price. All I can say is take your quotes, average them out and if it's lower than their MSRP let that be your "I'm out the door" price if they can't hit it,but don't start negotiations with your max.limit. Go a little under because they might/will hit you with that "your here" "we're here" "let's meet somewhere in between" speech....let your average be your limit and be prepared to walk if they don't hit it for you.

If you have documented quotes from online, a good sales manager MIGHT try to honor that to get another sale out the door so bring them with you. It depends though. If you have an old school GREASE sales manager he's probably a hard a$$ and take you asking for a lower MSRP personally. An educated mofo would see the business side and try to work something out. I've dealt with both when I used to sell rides. 

Try to go at the end of the month. Those bastards have a quota to hit. Rainy days are good also. Some sales managers compete amongst themselves,  a sales manager that can "get out" 10-15 cars on a rainy day will give your agent better numbers to close deals just to brag to the GM that he got out 10 - 15 rides on a rainy day and the other sales managers can't get that out on dry days.

Other lines you might here. If it's a 46,000 car "what price where you expecting!" "You are paying for quality and luxury here" "the numbers you show don't include: shipping: railway/trucking, Lot fee's for storing vehicle...etc,etc"

I had some time to waste 5 years ago and some money in the bank, so I decided to experiment with car sales to see the in/outs(seriously my girlfriend thought I was nuts...LOL). I have to say it was pretty interesting to say the least. Pays well once you get on a roll though. Once pulled in almost 3 grand for two days work once. Paid off though. I bought my car in like record 30 min off the truck. No hassle. Told family members exactly word for word what was going to go down on deals ....and my little brother actually is a very successful salesman now for Nissan.

Oh yeah, if they do go down...tell them mofo's you want that to include tax,title and "fees" lol they will LOVE that one.

Go get em!

good luck man.   

These are some good tips! Thanks bro!

body88

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2006, 10:46:31 PM »
body, I like the Infiniti's styling better but it's clearly a more sedate car. It's not a sports car. It's not really even a GT because it's so underpowered.

From what you've said in this thread I don't think you'd enjoy the Infiniti, too tame. In fact the M3 is tame compared to the Evo. The Evo is a single minded beast, it's nearly all conquering in it's single purpose but it's not that great as a daily driver. If you just want to have fun for a year or so and don't mind living without the luxurious touches you've enjoyed in the M3 then go for the Evo. It won't disappoint for a year, any longer than that and it will probably grow tiresome unless you have another car to use as a daily driver.

How about this, play with the Evo for 12 months keeping while taking excellent care of it and then trade it in. The new Evo looks pretty damn good and you know it's going to run like a race car.

Good idea. I love this damn evo tho!

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31:37 AM »
Mitsubishi is a third tier Japanese automaker,

Did you really say that a 2.0 liter inline 4 putting out over 300 hp via turbocharging and intercooling isn't stressed? Are you serious? Yet you think a 3.3 liter inline 6 putting out roughly the same horsepower is stressed? LOL I'm not quite sure if you actually believe that or if you're just clueless.

You're right about the 4wd trumping 2wd in the snow and ice but I still don't like the on/off nature of the Evo's engine regarding driving in dangerous conditions in a big city, where body lives. Although you're wrong about the benefits of way the engine produces power. The problem is that the power hits too suddenly as opposed to the constant stream of power that naturally aspirated engines produce.

As far as handling goes considering the M3's rear wheel drive he'd be dealing with oversteer which can be controlled with the throttle.

Mitsubishi may not be on the same tier as Toyota and Honda but time and again they are showing up european manufacturers reliability faults.

And yes, i did say Mitsubishis engine is less stressed than BMWs normally aspirated engine....how stressed an engine is depends on how hard its having to work to make the power....the Evo is making all of its power at a not unreasonable 6500rpm, thats easy...relaxed even....turbocharging has long been seen as the easy way to big power. Compare that with the M3 which makes its power at 7900rpm, nearly 8000rpm!!....yeah, thats an understressed engine alright ::).....how long do you think a 3 litre angine will last for being taken to 8000rpm?

I'm not wrong about how a turbo delivers its power....having run a turbo in the past it was very easy to drive off boost when the weather dictated or when i felt like being a cheapskate with fuel....you can even take a turbocharged car to the red line without the turbo boosting if you do it slowly and feather the throttle....likewise you can make it come in earlier than expected with heavy use of the throttle, its not set rigidly at 3500rpm.

Lastly, you can control an Evos handling with the throttle...in fact you can control any cars handling with the throttle!....not just a RWD one. Even though the Evo is 4WD its not a 50/50 front/rear split....on most of these jap rally cars the bias is 40/60 between front and rear, giving a slight RWD bias....some of the limited edition Evos and Subarus have a dial on the dash where you can adjust the percentage between front/rear if you want.
C.U.N.T

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 04:49:18 AM »
....just to spice up the thread a bit with some quality m3 pictures..... ;)
?

body88

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »
I love the m3. It will always be one of the best cars ever. Imo and amongst car guys and girls like all of us in this thread. I like American muscle. I like all cars in fact. but there is nothing like a fast nimble, handling car!

here is the evo again and the s4

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 05:38:47 AM »
And yes, i did say Mitsubishis engine is less stressed than BMWs normally aspirated engine....how stressed an engine is depends on how hard its having to work to make the power....the Evo is making all of its power at a not unreasonable 6500rpm, thats easy...relaxed even....turbocharging has long been seen as the easy way to big power. Compare that with the M3 which makes its power at 7900rpm, nearly 8000rpm!!....yeah, thats an understressed engine alright ::).....how long do you think a 3 litre angine will last for being taken to 8000rpm?

I'm not wrong about how a turbo delivers its power....having run a turbo in the past it was very easy to drive off boost when the weather dictated or when i felt like being a cheapskate with fuel....you can even take a turbocharged car to the red line without the turbo boosting if you do it slowly and feather the throttle....likewise you can make it come in earlier than expected with heavy use of the throttle, its not set rigidly at 3500rpm.

Look at your reasoning, you're saying that a 3.3 liter inline 6 producing 100 hp per liter is stressed because it's redline is 8,000 RPM yet a 2.0 liter inline 4 producing 150 hp per liter isn't stressed because it's turbocharged and because it's redline is 6,500 RPM. 

Do you understand the stress a turbocharger puts on an engine? Do you understand the amount of heat turbochargers generate? Do you understand that heavily turbocharged engines have higher compression ratios and that puts more stress on the engine? Do you know what a LPT is? It's a Light Pressure Turbo and do you know why automobile manufacturers built LPT's? They built them so that their engines would be more reliable and less stress would be put on the engine.

Here is a quote from a magazine that tested the Evo "But it's the poster child for turbo lag; below 2500 RPM it has all the gusto of a self-propelled lawnmower. The show starts at 3500 RPM when the turbo springs to life and all hell breaks loose. Three words of advice: Hang on tight."

As I mentioned in my last post there could be times when someone driving the Evo gets into the boost when they're not prepared for the onslaught of power. Yes, you could drive all day using 1/16th throttle and never get into the turbo but who would drive like that?

The Evo is a fantastic car but to say that it's engine isn't stressed is laughable. There's a reason Mitsubishi is fighting not to honor their warranties in the US and it's not because that engine is so reliable.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 05:42:38 AM »
I love the m3. It will always be one of the best cars ever. Imo and amongst car guys and girls like all of us in this thread. I like American muscle. I like all cars in fact. but there is nothing like a fast nimble, handling car!

here is the evo again and the s4

body, S4's are very nice, certainly on par with M3's but they're also very very expensive. There are a few versions of the S4 and they are all super expsensive. You had sticker shock over the M3 wait until you see the stickers on the S4's.

Car and Driver just did a piece on an S4 and it's sticker was $70,000.

body88

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 06:20:16 AM »
Thanks man. Not so much sticker shock for the m3. I just do not want to spend over 50 grand. Since I am also going to add a nice audio system and a few performance goodies to the mix. The s4 is overpriced after looking at it. nice engine but to plain jane for me. The new evo x is said to be mitsu's turning point car. Supposed to have all the things the old one did not. Guess I will have to wait to see when it comes out.

I was very surprised at the new z to say the least. I drove the top of the line fully loaded one. All the track options the whole nine. The car itself is drop dead gorgeous. forged 19s in the rear and 18s up front. Low and wide. But the engine was honestly wimpy. I drove an sti for kicks the day before. Mash the throttle in any gear and the thing instantly blew up with power. really is to bad it is ugly as shit. That car right there is one fast ride. The diff options are great to. You can lock power to be almost fully rear wheel sent. Or send it all the way up front. As well as the all wheel drive that made them famous. The z was sluggish. I am a big turbo fan unless the naturally aspirated engine has big power. Just funner to drive IMO.

body88

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »
bump

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2006, 08:42:01 AM »

Car and Driver just did a piece on an S4 and it's sticker was $70,000.

think that might have been the 07 RS4, which is a monster of a car.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2006, 01:34:38 AM »
  Here is what you need....chic magnet.

body88

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2006, 06:27:37 AM »
think that might have been the 07 RS4, which is a monster of a car.

Yes that thing is a beast. To much cake tho!

body88

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2006, 06:29:11 AM »
  Here is what you need....chic magnet.

Lol..... The funniest thing about this post you made is. I was just looking at my parents photo albums ( at my father place to visit). And there is a picture of my mom when she was young and I swear she had that car in green. No joke. Is that a maverick/pento or whatever its called lol.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2006, 04:18:44 AM »

Lol..... The funniest thing about this post you made is. I was just looking at my parents photo albums ( at my father place to visit). And there is a picture of my mom when she was young and I swear she had that car in green. No joke. Is that a maverick/pento or whatever its called lol.

No, not a maverick or a pinto...EVEN BETTER...It is an A.M.C. GREMLIN. hahahaha

body88

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2006, 02:38:36 PM »
lolz.... All it needs is some drag tires and rust.... Comb out your mullet BROTHER  we are going for a ride.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2006, 11:45:56 PM »
lolz.... All it needs is some drag tires and rust.... Comb out your mullet BROTHER  we are going for a ride.

"That shit will buff out..." Joe Dirt

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2006, 08:15:20 AM »
so what did you get?

body88

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2006, 02:18:10 PM »
Still looking. I really like the evo mr..... Thing is an absolute monster on the track. I drove a ton of cars. I am still trying to decide.

I am going to bring my digi next round of test drives to take some shots for this thread.

Do you guys think getting a car for invoice is a good deal? I used this website for advice  http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car3. htm and also alot of the advice all you guys provided me.