Author Topic: How much protein is to much in one sitting..?  (Read 3960 times)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
How much protein is to much in one sitting..?
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:46:57 PM »
anybody?
grundle has no sack,

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
Re: How much protein is to much in one sitting..?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 12:03:05 AM »
I have been told by my course thats all scientific and all that bs that anymore than 20-30 grams per sitting is just pissed out....

A gram per pound a day is ample...apparently.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 12:04:01 AM »
..........altho im sure the bigger u are the amount goes up.........?

Purge_WTF

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:57:15 AM »
..........altho im sure the bigger u are the amount goes up.........?

Steroid-users can consume more, because protein synthesis/turnover is sped up quite a bit.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:53:59 AM »
In my opinion, there is NO answer to the question as posed because it assumes that all proteins are absorbed at the same rate.  If someone chugs down 50 grams of the most quickly absorbed protein, whey, it is likely that the body excretes a higher percentage than if they consume, for example, two cups of low fat cottage cheese (52g of casein-based protein).  The slower digested protein gives the body a chance to assimilate a higher percentage over time.
Now throw in the issue of fiber which may also modulate absorption and you've got an even MORE complicated issue.

Best guideline, if you're a normal human being and not some king of genetic freak or steroid-monster assume anything over 30 grams in an hour is wasted....

BigIronMike25

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »
  Steroid-users can consume more, because protein synthesis/turnover is sped up quite a bit.

YEP, while ON you can consume more at one single sitting....and it still depends on your size....Id say some bigass pros can eat 50-60 at one sitting and digest a pretty high % of it, while your avg natural should probably keep it in the 30-40gram range, anything more than that at once is more than likely wasted

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 01:04:25 PM »
ok, so if the shakes contain about 50 to 60 grams, i should split it in half..
grundle has no sack,

BigIronMike25

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:11:13 PM »
ok, so if the shakes contain about 50 to 60 grams, i should split it in half..

I definitely would....your body will digest a higher % of it and you'll save some $$$ in the process

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 01:38:28 PM »
awesome i'll do that... now what about post workout shakes can they be higher?
grundle has no sack,

New_Trainer

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »
In my opinion, there is NO answer to the question as posed because it assumes that all proteins are absorbed at the same rate.  If someone chugs down 50 grams of the most quickly absorbed protein, whey, it is likely that the body excretes a higher percentage than if they consume, for example, two cups of low fat cottage cheese (52g of casein-based protein).  The slower digested protein gives the body a chance to assimilate a higher percentage over time.
Now throw in the issue of fiber which may also modulate absorption and you've got an even MORE complicated issue.

Best guideline, if you're a normal human being and not some king of genetic freak or steroid-monster assume anything over 30 grams in an hour is wasted....
u r partly right and partly wrong

right for time to digest

wrong for forgetting we do need enzyme to digest protein
and this is why we do have limit on taking in protein

and also remember too protein intake will finally become your energy

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
Natural: A few chicken breasts every 3 to 4 hours...Perfect

On Juice: 2 Live cows , 50 eggs, 2 double peanut butter protein shakes every 3 hours.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 11:55:28 PM »
ok, well again what about post workout shakes.. can they be higher than 30grams?
grundle has no sack,

BigIronMike25

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 06:29:01 AM »
ok, well again what about post workout shakes.. can they be higher than 30grams?

Jaime,

Yes, your muscles are like sponges after a workout since all the glycogen stores will be (or should be if you train hard enough) depleted.  I aim for 40-50 PWO but only 30-35 at other times.....You can absorb more carbs and protein PWO, just be sure to keep fat intake PWO at ZERO!!!  you dont want fat slower the absorbtion of the carbs and protein....heres what i do bro for PWO shake:

Cutting:   45grams PRO with 30grams Dextrose

Bulking:    45grams PRO with 80-100grams Dextrose (100 on Leg / Back day)

About an hr or so after this shake you should try to have a good solid meal of:

chicken breast, lean ground beef or steak

with a low-glycemic carb to level out your spiked blood sugar such as a large sweet potato or whole wheat pasta

as time goes on you will learn which foods your body best reacts to and which foods your body cant stand

New_Trainer

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:54:15 AM »
most important post workout should be carbs

not protein

for protein, if I am not wrong, u can't digest it that fast
so u have protein intake right after wo, 30 mins after wo, 1 hour after wo should be no difference

I guess, there's nothing special intake protein at that time(post wo)
u can treat it as normal

or even u should make it lower than ur normal meal, coz after u wo u lost many many energy
and u should know, digest need energy too

I can guess after wo u intake too much protein, much of it will finally your energy and not ur source of building block of muscles

I am open to any advice to my advice, if I am wrong on this

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 12:12:44 PM »
awesome thanks, right now i'm not really trying to cut, just diet down a little.  i mainly eat the basics, chicken,leanbeef, steak.  and some lean cuisne meals and my shakes.
grundle has no sack,

New_Trainer

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »
awesome thanks, right now i'm not really trying to cut, just diet down a little.  i mainly eat the basics, chicken,leanbeef, steak.  and some lean cuisne meals and my shakes.
my experience told me......

if it's really just down a little....

u shouldn't pay ur attention to your meals
but
to everything between your meals
(it will be true if u already did have a good knowledge about nutrition, seldom[this is the key word, remember it] eat the unhealthy food)

all u have to do is just add more exercise(whatever they are, can be cardio or weight or anything)

say by the way, I really don't understand what is "down a little bit"....
our weight is not a fixed figure
it goes up and down all the time

so ur "down a little bit" actually do mean "lose some fat" ?

and I really want to say in here
we are living in a strange, there are so many foods that some people claims to be bad to our health
but they exists

e.g. French Fries
was it so bad?
actually not that bad
actually we do need fat
actually we do need some saturated fat

French Fries can be good to our health if u r not having it as your everyday meal.....

so pls don't stay away from what claims to be unhealthy food
they still exist coz they r not poisonous

they surely can't kill you

not until u eat it every hour.....

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
i tend to stay away from fried foods untill my cheat meal.
grundle has no sack,

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 02:18:52 AM »
this definitely varies from person to person...  anywhere from 30-80g per serving

bigragu

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »
Just goes to show how important it is to not skip a meal...for example if you are a 200lb natural bodybuilder and your protein intake should be 1.5gm/protein per lb of bodyweight - thus your total protein intake should be no less than 300gms. Now if your body can only assimilate 30gms of protein per sitting - you do the math - that would be 10 feeding times per day assuming that you ingest 30 gms of protein at each feeding time! Makes you realize that the majority of bodybuilders probably do not ingest the required amount of protein or that they ingest too much protein at one sitting. An old bodybuilder once said that you can only put so much water thru a funnel - if you try and pour too much in - it will simply overflow....

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 11:58:01 PM »
More than 50 grams.POB

tinbeater36

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 05:48:45 PM »
Jaime,

Yes, your muscles are like sponges after a workout since all the glycogen stores will be (or should be if you train hard enough) depleted.  I aim for 40-50 PWO but only 30-35 at other times.....You can absorb more carbs and protein PWO, just be sure to keep fat intake PWO at ZERO!!!  you dont want fat slower the absorbtion of the carbs and protein....heres what i do bro for PWO shake:

Cutting:   45grams PRO with 30grams Dextrose

Bulking:    45grams PRO with 80-100grams Dextrose (100 on Leg / Back day)

About an hr or so after this shake you should try to have a good solid meal of:

chicken breast, lean ground beef or steak

with a low-glycemic carb to level out your spiked blood sugar such as a large sweet potato or whole wheat pasta

as time goes on you will learn which foods your body best reacts to and which foods your body cant stand

first ill apologize for responding to an old post but why start a new one to talk about the same thing - mike i use almost exactly the same pwo regiment as you - basically thats what i took from reading Nutrient Timing - lately ive been experimenting with the meal an hour after my pwo shake - for example one night last week after an extremely tough workout i did my normal pwo shake and then for my meal an hour later i ate about 20oz of lean beef (had no real carbs) then went to bed - i figured realistically most of it would get wasted and i would wake up in the morning and "get rid of most of it" - i didnt wake up to a huge dump instead i woke up feeling better than normal with less than average soreness - any chance that after certain workouts (possibly heavy leg day) your body's need (ability to absorb) for protein would increase if its trying to repair a larger muscle group? just a theory... thoughts???

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
i recommend 25-30 grams unless i'ts blended then up to 50 for time release factors but nothing more beyond that.

Seijuro

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
more than 30gr

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
it depends on what else you are eating, what your hormonal levels are like, what your current goal is, what your lean body weight is.....

the answer can be as low as 21grams..or as high as 101grams...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:30:14 AM »
I've found that when I take in a protein shake of 50g whey isolate I'm shitting most of it out about an hour or so later. Which means that I'm probably not getting as much protein as I think I'm getting. The only time I don't rap it out immediately is post workout.

However when I eat a steak that contains about 50g of protein it takes much longer to be digested and I reckon I'm getting most of that protein.

Much better to go for the steak IMO.