Author Topic: Elbow joint pain....frustrations!  (Read 1729 times)

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
Elbow joint pain....frustrations!
« on: July 30, 2006, 09:04:23 PM »
So I'm pretty sure I've developed some kind of chronic joint inflammation in my left elbow...it's happened twice now and my physio guy says it's tendonitis.  Which sucks!

It took months for it to 'heal' each time, and lately when I train it heavy I get about 5 weeks into a program before it starts to act up again.  Oddly, the only move that doesn't cause it to get worse are dumbell kickbacks, an exercise I've NEVER done regularly.

The main offenders are dumbell tricep extensions, single or otherwise.  Cables aren't too bad, but I need a THOROUGH warmup before I begin.  Sometimes chest presses aggrevate it as well.

I've gotten used to the fact that this will probably never go away, but I'm making my way around it.  I can definitely notice the difference in size between left and right tricep (they were pretty symmetrical prior), although it's not all lost.

What I'd like to know is if anybody here has experienced something like this and how they got around it.  I tried 'going through the pain' and that was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in the gym...I'm sure I would have ended up with some SERIOUS damage!  In fact I couldn't even lift 10 pound dumbells when it was REALLY sore!

Thanks!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Elbow joint pain....frustrations!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »
Basically you have to find substitutes for the problem exercises, they will always dog you and likely get worse later. Not viable long-term.

Heal up then go back only to cables, or variations of free weight extensions that don't hurt: 2-arm E-Z or hammer extensions on a mild decline, bent-over lat cable extensions, seated or incline extensions, etc. Warmup first with sets of non-extension tri exercise like dips, bench dips, close-grips or pushdowns. Then do the extensions keeping the reps in the intermediate 10-15 range, no more than 45-60 seconds between sets. That means the weight used and stress on the joints will go down while maintaining intensity.

If none of these help, only then you have to forget extensions.

To eliminate the pain, cortisone is very effective but the problem will return if the same exercises that cause pain are continued to be used.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »
I used to do dumbell tricep extentions on a decline bench, the movement hit my triceps better than anything else. It also aggravated my elbows more than anything else as well. In my opinion single arm dumbell extentions put way too much strain on the elbow at the bottom of the negative. The elbow can't handle that range of motion with a good amount of weight.  Now I stick to extentions with the EZ-bar, and overhead dumbell extentions with both hands. You gotta avoid the movements that cause pain, if you are lucky you might be able to do them again after a long break. Some excercises just don't work for certain people, everyone's structure is different. You either have to modify the excercise or not do it at all.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:58:16 AM »
Warm-up with light pressdowns on the cable before you take on the work sets.  Also, order of exercises may help with the symptoms; I always do dips or close-grip bench to warm-up the joints before any heavy barbell or DB extensions.  A neoprene sleeve definetely helps as it provides warmth and compression; best 15 bucks I've spent

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 02:05:45 PM »
So I'm pretty sure I've developed some kind of chronic joint inflammation in my left elbow...it's happened twice now and my physio guy says it's tendonitis.  Which sucks!

It took months for it to 'heal' each time, and lately when I train it heavy I get about 5 weeks into a program before it starts to act up again.  Oddly, the only move that doesn't cause it to get worse are dumbell kickbacks, an exercise I've NEVER done regularly.

The main offenders are dumbell tricep extensions, single or otherwise.  Cables aren't too bad, but I need a THOROUGH warmup before I begin.  Sometimes chest presses aggrevate it as well.

I've gotten used to the fact that this will probably never go away, but I'm making my way around it.  I can definitely notice the difference in size between left and right tricep (they were pretty symmetrical prior), although it's not all lost.

What I'd like to know is if anybody here has experienced something like this and how they got around it.  I tried 'going through the pain' and that was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in the gym...I'm sure I would have ended up with some SERIOUS damage!  In fact I couldn't even lift 10 pound dumbells when it was REALLY sore!

Thanks!
do close grip bench presses, extension movements cause a lot of elbow pain in a lot of people and i don't think they're necessary, close grips are a better mass builder and they're safer.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »
close grips are a better mass builder and they're safer.

Close-grips are good for some parts of the tris, specifically the lateral & medial heads, but are not a perfect substitute for areas hit by extensions. Weighted bench dips are also comparable to CGs for size.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »
Close-grips are good for other parts of the tris but are not a perfect substitute for extensions. Bench dips are comparable to CGs for size.
it's weird the only time i personally get elbow pain from any type of extension movement it's from flat bench extensions, i can do them overhead or decline all day and never get any pain from them.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:12:51 PM »
Declines/inclines are so much better in every way, flat bench & seated extensions are asking for probs and are where most are getting injuries.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
Try my routine bro...

1) Roughly 20 minutes before you train rub some tiger balm on the area and surrounding tissue with a latex glove so your hands don't stink although your elbow will but who cares you are trying to rehab not pick up biatches at this point.

2) Invest in some elbow compression sleeves and put them on about 10 minutes before you train on your way to the gym.

3) If you have a hand bike at your gym try warming up on it for about 5 minutes at a slow pace if not try an eliptical that you can use your arms and legs with for a decent warm-up.

4)  Pick whatever exercise you can do without pain and do 2-3 warm up sets of about 20 to put some nice blood flow to the area, for me it's cable push downs without going to full lock out (no lock out is key).

5)  When you get home try some advil (I know it almost killed Tom Prince and Flex Wheeler ::)) along with some ice for 20 minutes.

It may sound like alot but every year that I put on weight for the winter and then come down my joints ache and this works everytime!  Good luck bro... ;)

P.S:  By the way, try taking a look at all of your upper body movements.  My elbows actually hurt more when I do lat pull downs and later on in the week do tris vs not doing pull downs at all.  Kinda makes me go hmmmm ???

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »
By the way, try taking a look at all of your upper body movements.  My elbows actually hurt more when I do lat pull downs and later on in the week do tris vs not doing pull downs at all.  Kinda makes me go hmmmm

I've had elbow probs related to pulldowns, referred to as golfer's elbow which is like tennis elbow but on the inside of the elbow instead of outside. Was able to get rid of it by trying different grips-neutral, palms in, palms out, and trying slightly different angles including facing away from the machine. Try different variations and you should find something to avoid the pain.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:52 PM »
Holy crap, TONS of good advice guys.  Thanks so much, and I'll incorporate all this in my new routines.

When I first injured the elbow, I felt invicible...my move of choice (once my shoulders could handle proper form) was seated single dumbell overhead extensions (both hands).  But that exercise is now pretty much the worst offender for setting off the pain...I can use it every now and then but it's just too tricky...I hate being injured! 

Speaking of bench dips, that's how this whole thing started, I believe....well, I was in a dieted state and had a bunch of plates on my lap, trying to match my buddy.  I'm pretty sure that THAT was the workout that caused the damage (thanks, workout log!) and my heavy extensions only compounded the problem after that.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!