Author Topic: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE  (Read 11008 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »
WAIT TILL ESPN FINDS OUT THAT ALL OF THERE BODYBUILDERS TAKE STEROIDS DOOOOOOOOOOOH
A

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
When you're watching a basketball game, can you see a difference when the team is playing without the superstars??

What makes sports exciting to watch are SUPERSTARS not just "average" people. Try taking the starting quarterback, wide reciever, and running back out of a football game; or the star pitcher, home run and leading RBI hitters out of the baseball game; Kobe or Shaq out of the basketball game.

I could go watch a high school or college game and see the same thing.

This could truly have a negative effect on BB'ing.

Please, don't compare actual athletic endevours with bodybuilding. How could it have a "negative effect" on bodybuilding? Competition is what improves every product known to man.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 03:04:23 PM »
Although there is a saying that "any publicity is good publicity" it only really works if the audience is interested and as far as bodybuilding competitions are concerned, the general public have shown absolutely no interest whatsoever. No matter how you dress it up, it's always going to remain a niche sport with a niche audience. A 10 page spread in Sports Illustrated would probably not attract a reader to a show that was in his home town.

So you just give up then? You don't even try to expand the sport? Thats a defeatist attitude. Don't  you try and promote your business?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 03:04:50 PM »
If BB has ever a chance of becoming something more than just a bunch of big guys with muscle running around a stage in speedos and a joke to the general public, the PDI will do it.

Iv'e heard this a few times. PDI is gonna bring a fresh approach, shows will be entertaining blah blah blah. BBing IS oiled up men in thongs flexing their muscles. It is what it is, what will be so different about a PDI show?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 03:05:26 PM »
I predict if the PDI gains a little bit of traction you will see a slow but steady exodus from the IFBB.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
hater in the house.

hey dude, it's growing the sport of bodybuilding.  be happy.  we'd all be happy if the IFBB was featured in ESPN the Mag.  it's growth of the sport, good for all. 

I don't get these people who are hoping the PDI failure. It can only help the sport if it succeeds.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »
For the mainstream group, BBing is still at the attention stage- they have seen muscle guys on tv or movies, and never thought much other than 'steroids!'.  Maybe seeing there is a show will generate a little interest.  (Or acceptance, the prelim to interest).

If you see the steroid issue as being the reason for the general public not moving from the attention stage, what is the PDI going to do at the NOC to change things?
I only hope it isn't anything like the 2004 NOC or the general public will forever consider us paedophiles!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »
I don't get these people who are hoping the PDI failure. It can only help the sport if it succeeds.

As one of the people who has questioned the validity of the PDI it not because I hope that it fails but on it's past history of failure due to lack of support. That support is still missing apart from a few poeple here who probably won't even buy a ticket.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
That's great on the ESPN Magazine article. My only hope is that it is positive for bodybuilding and doesn't dwell on the steroid issue. If they avoid bringing that into the piece and make it a positive article, I applaud them.

Elevate Your Image.™

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:09 PM »
My problem with the PDI is mainly the talent pool, or lack of talent they currently have.

Sure, if all their guys were Sami's, it would be interesting.

But where are all the Vanders and Garreth Allins?

Instead there are blocky guys taking the stage.

No old skool physiques to be seen.

No Arnie's, no Zane's, no Mentzer's, No Corney's.

The idea was good though. Maybe DeMilia will cut those who doesn't look the part.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »
PDI will be gone in a year. Nobody challenge Weider and gets out alive
Z

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 03:47:58 PM »
The Weiders don't own the planet, contrary to 40 years of propaganda from their magazines.  Nor do they necessarily have the best BBs in the world.  I saw NABBA pros on a Gallasch DVD recently & they're better posers, & some of them are as big, as the American IFBB pros.  Also, I for one am tired of the same ten BBs shuffling around for the top ten places in the Olympia.  A lot of the top NPC "uncrowned pros" have better builds, IMHO.  Let the PDI get its shows onstage & give them support.  The more competition, the better. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 03:50:54 PM »
Weider doesn't own the planet? Which planet are you on
Z

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 03:59:22 PM »
Sorry, "real" bodybuilding isn't 40" waistlines.

So you're saying that all or even most of the IFBB pros at the Olympia have 40" waists ???

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »
So you're saying that all or even most of the IFBB pros at the Olympia have 40" waists ???
Ronnie, Jay, Gunter, Markus all do.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »
Please, don't compare actual athletic endevours with bodybuilding. How could it have a "negative effect" on bodybuilding? Competition is what improves every product known to man.

Little League baseball is competition. However, only parents with a kids on the team watch the games.

I don't have any family members on a pro basketball game, but I'll buy a ticket to watch it.

Take PPV Boxing for example, is anyone going to pay to watch two no name low level boxers? No, but they sure will pay to see two known heavyweights punch it out.

People pay to see the SUPERSTARS, not the second team.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2006, 04:10:35 PM »
Ronnie, Jay, Gunter, Markus all do.

Okay, that's FOUR guys.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2006, 04:14:16 PM »
Good for Body Building!

I wonder if the IFBB will run ads for the Olympia in ESPN Mag to show off the "Big Boys" and try to steal the PDI thunder.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
Best seat in the house is $200. Not sure if that's a good price, but I know these Ticketmaster fees are BS....

Building Facility Charge of $1.00,   Convenience Charge  $6.25...

Those prices are crazy, but I love being in the good seats.
Im trying to decide if I will do the whole day or just the night show...

And not having the top pros in the show isn't a bad thing.  Most fans that attend the recent ifbb shows complain about how bad they are and the winners are a forgone conclusion.

Sandra
Sandra

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:40 PM »
does any one know what the actual article was about and pertaining to ???

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »
Good for Body Building!

I wonder if the IFBB will run ads for the Olympia in ESPN Mag to show off the "Big Boys" and try to steal the PDI thunder.

PDI is obviously more aggressive and doing a better job promoting BB'ing to the mainstream. It's just unfortunate that right now, they really don't have anything to promote.

I think they should build a strong base of athletes, consistent successful shows and focus on building their foundation with "Core" bodybuilding fans first. Then once they have a solid organization, start advertising and promoting in mainstream pubs such as the ESPN mag.

It's basic business, focus on your core customers first!

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »

Their major problem apart from lack of credibility within the industry as seen by their lack of sponsors is that the core audience is used to a much higher level of overall competition.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2006, 04:29:15 PM »
PDI is obviously more aggressive and doing a better job promoting BB'ing to the mainstream. It's just unfortunate that right now, they really don't have anything to promote.

I think they should build a strong base of athletes, consistent successful shows and focus on building their foundation with "Core" bodybuilding fans first. Then once they have a solid organization, start advertising and promoting in mainstream pubs such as the ESPN mag.

I disagree,
Basically outside of this article what has the PDI done to promote itself.  There is no website, a yahoo email address, a few press releases (which some have been questionable at best).  I don't think I have even seen a magazine ad. If it wasn't for 240 and Onlyme the PDI voice here would only be a whisper.

240 and Onlyme (and some guy named Priest  ;) ) have done more promotion in the last week for PDI then Wayne has done altogether.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »
Their major problem apart from lack of credibility within the industry as seen by their lack of sponsors is that the core audience is used to a much higher level of overall competition.

I agree with that. But most bodybuilding fans will buy a reasonably priced ticket to see ANY BB'ing show. They won't pay the premium price that they will to see the Olympia, but it's a start.

Over time, they will build a strong audience and slowly start to build up their sponsorships as well. Then they can increase the price of the tickets according to what they're worth.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2006, 04:34:02 PM »
I disagree,
Basically outside of this article what has the PDI done to promote itself.  There is no website, a yahoo email address, a few press releases (which some have been questionable at best).  I don't think I have even seen a magazine ad. If it wasn't for 240 and Onlyme the PDI voice here would only be a whisper.

240 and Onlyme (and some guy named Priest  ;) ) have done more promotion in the last week for PDI then Wayne has done altogether.

The fact that they even "contacted" ESPN mag. in their first year, shows that they're taking more initiative than the IFBB.

As long as the IFBB has been around and with the reputation of the Weider Pubs, they should have IFBB bodybuilding in all of the sports pubs.

It's as simple as a cross promotion within their respective magazines. For example, "Hey ESPN mag, if you run some stuff on IFBB BB'ing in your mag, we'll put some ESPN stuff in M&F and Flex.") Real simple.