Author Topic: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE  (Read 11005 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Re: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2006, 04:35:59 PM »
If the article is positive about bodybuilding it will only help the IFBB. The general public doesn't know the difference between the PDI and IFBB. Anyone who sees the article does a search on professional bodybuilding will find bodybuilding.com and getbig.com

Elevate Your Image.™

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
Okay, that's FOUR guys.

four of the TOP guys.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
When you're watching a basketball game, can you see a difference when the team is playing without the superstars??

What makes sports exciting to watch are SUPERSTARS not just "average" people. Try taking the starting quarterback, wide reciever, and running back out of a football game; or the star pitcher, home run and leading RBI hitters out of the baseball game; Kobe or Shaq out of the basketball game.

I could go watch a high school or college game and see the same thing.

This could truly have a negative effect on BB'ing.

Yep, you're right. When you are watching basketball, but bodybuilding?? Come on, the general public wouldn't know the difference, that's my point.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »
If the article is positive about bodybuilding it will only help the IFBB. The general public doesn't know the difference between the PDI and IFBB. Anyone who sees the article does a search on professional bodybuilding will find bodybuilding.com and getbig.com

IF they did a search. They won't.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
So you're saying that all or even most of the IFBB pros at the Olympia have 40" waists ???

The highest profile guys do. Thats what really matters isn't it?
The House that Ruth built

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »
IF they did a search. They won't.
LOL. Come on man, give a least a couple hundred of those "millions" of readers the benefit of the doubt.
Elevate Your Image.™

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2006, 05:05:44 PM »

Yep, you're right. When you are watching basketball, but bodybuilding?? Come on, the general public wouldn't know the difference, that's my point.

That's my point. They won't know the difference! They'll think the sencond string guys are the best bb'ing has to offer and become disinterested. That's how this could negatively impact the sport.

powerforward

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:41 PM »
its not really an article-more of a little side blurb towards the front of the magazine.
says some nonsense about drug free bodybuilding and a change towards the sport in general.

nothing of substance and nothing worth noting- but i hope the pdi does well.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 05:08:51 PM »
The highest profile guys do. Thats what really matters isn't it?

Two of the top contenders for the Olympia title aren't even close to 40", Phil Heath & Dexter Jackson.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2006, 05:14:17 PM »
That's my point. They won't know the difference! They'll think the sencond string guys are the best bb'ing has to offer and become disinterested. That's how this could negatively impact the sport.

Really? How are they going to know who the first string guys are to being with and why would they become disinterested when they do find out? The GP will not see much of a difference in the 10th place finisher in the Mr O and Ronnie.

Spicy Shushi

• Getbig III
  • KNOW HOMO?
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
its not really an article-more of a little side blurb towards the front of the magazine.
says some nonsense about drug free bodybuilding and a change towards the sport in general.

nothing of substance and nothing worth noting- but i hope the pdi does well.
drug free in the pdi  ??? ??? rhino ??? ???
Enjoy your dish...

powerforward

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2006, 05:34:20 PM »
i can't remember the exact phrasing, but i know it made referenced to being drug free- but like I said it was just a small corner write-up near the front of the magazine..

but the ifbb claims to be drug free as well, and any mention at this time can't be a bad thing, its just not what I think a lot of you guys are thinking it is (a feature article, or even a half page write-up/its not)

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2006, 06:32:14 PM »
Eh, ticket outlet stalking is not really my thing bro.

I believe being featured in the mag will have a few good effects.  Internally, it will help legitimize the PDI in the eyes of some who are undecided.  Externally, if it sells one more ticket, it was a good move.  Long-term, it helps make BBing more accepted, more mainstream, and makes people more aware of it.  They might not go this year, but seeing it might make them more open to going to a show next year or maybe picking up a FLEX or an MD at the store.

You know AIDA.  Attention, interest, Desire, Action.  
For the mainstream group, BBing is still at the attention stage- they have seen muscle guys on tv or movies, and never thought much other than 'steroids!'.  Maybe seeing there is a show will generate a little interest.  (Or acceptance, the prelim to interest).
Desire comes when they look at their potbelly and realize that hey, I may never dunk a ball, but I can have a 6-pack.  Action might be buying a ticket, spending 5 minutes watching it on tv sometimes, etc.

baby steps.  ESPN the mag might not make the show sell out.  But if it causes a bit more acceptance, then it does contribute to the greater scheme of things.  And that, my friend, is...

Awesome post, 240!!! Attaboy! I've been away about a year or so, and you have evolved quite a bit within the boards, even doing some moves in the industry. I'm happy for you. Keep at it. I'm with you on this topic.
Train forever !

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2006, 06:38:58 PM »
Awesome post, 240!!! Attaboy! I've been away about a year or so, and you have evolved quite a bit within the boards, even doing some moves in the industry. I'm happy for you. Keep at it. I'm with you on this topic.

word to the mothership.  we all grow up!

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2006, 06:42:23 PM »
The IFBB has failed miserably into trying to catch a more mainstream audience. Their last move in this direction was the association with AMI. To anyone that thinks the IFBB or the Olympia, for that matter, is in good hands with Pecker and company should think twice....or better yet, should read the Steve Weinberger interview with John Romano in one of the last issues of MD.

DeMillia is by no means a first-time sailor !!! He definetly knows his shit and his moves are always on solid ground. I fit wasn't that way, he would not have been the capitain of the IFBB pro division ship for so many years, since the late 70's.
 He has proved time and time again his skills at promoting God knows how many Olympias and such...... Let's wait and see.

By the way, the last mainstream magazine that dedicated an exclusive instalment for bodybuilding, as far as i can remember, was Sports Illustrated in the late 90's, and they didn't  say so many 'nice' things about the sport, if you know what i mean, something that deserved a well written and bold 'lemme- get- this- outta- my- chest' article by Jim Schmaltz. I have that issue at home.  
Train forever !

lastrep

• Getbig III
  • One Last Rep!
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2006, 06:42:40 PM »
Incredible News!!! Fantastic to see the PDI taking SERIOUS steps to push bodybuilding into the main stream. Along with their athletes not having bigger guts than pregnant women, etc it will show the public a "more" attainable physique - not a circus.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2006, 08:10:27 PM »
Bulking up: Training with Tucker
One-time bodybuilder finds lucrative career in bass fishing

CELEBRATION, Fla. — Mark Tucker competed for nearly 10 years as a bodybuilder, but has a quick answer as to why he abandoned that sport and instead became a professional bass angler.

"In bodybuilding, you're either going to be a model or an actor," he said. "I wasn't good-looking enough, so I felt that fishing was the way to go."

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/elite/news/story?page=b_news_MTucker_bulkingup

Bodybuilder turns bass pro fisherman gets more mainstream coverage then a bodybuilding show or organization.

Elevate Your Image.™

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2006, 08:28:20 PM »
Founded on fact. Call up the box office and ask for tickets. Keith has repeatedly said that the show is a sell out, but there are hundreds of tickets available.

Also, I called and asked what time the show started and was asked "What time can you get here?"
That would indicate to me that ticket sales are poor.

Please tell me where I said it was a sellout.  I'd like to see that.  I am pretty sure I said it will be a sellout.  I don't think I ever said it was sold out already.  But thanks for predicting the future.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2006, 08:34:40 PM »
Two of the top contenders for the Olympia title aren't even close to 40", Phil Heath & Dexter Jackson.
dude phil heath is in no way a contender for anything but 10th place.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
I disagree,
Basically outside of this article what has the PDI done to promote itself.  There is no website, a yahoo email address, a few press releases (which some have been questionable at best).  I don't think I have even seen a magazine ad. If it wasn't for 240 and Onlyme the PDI voice here would only be a whisper.

240 and Onlyme (and some guy named Priest  ;) ) have done more promotion in the last week for PDI then Wayne has done altogether.

And this alone is more than any IFBB show of the year.  So something is going right.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2006, 08:41:20 PM »
Please tell me where I said it was a sellout.  I'd like to see that.  I am pretty sure I said it will be a sellout.  I don't think I ever said it was sold out already.  But thanks for predicting the future.
You're right but allow me to remind you of your repeated predictions.

Plus, the tickets are selling faster than they ever have EVER.  More places are selling the tickets than EVER.  It will be a sellout no problem, even you know that much.

Maybe not know here but are huge in Europe and SOuth America.  And there is allot of support from there coming to the shows.  it will be a sellout and like I said anyone who knows the IFBB and its officials, please come on by and look through the crowd.  then come one here and tell everyone you saw.  Then I am sure most people will start talking up the PDI.

And the other PDI mouthpiece shares the same prediction.
Whatever happened this week, the mood is changing with everyone.  EVERYONE wants tickets to the NOC.  I'd put $ down that it'll be a sellout. 
Elevate Your Image.™

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2006, 08:42:17 PM »
The fact that they even "contacted" ESPN mag. in their first year, shows that they're taking more initiative than the IFBB.

As long as the IFBB has been around and with the reputation of the Weider Pubs, they should have IFBB bodybuilding in all of the sports pubs.

It's as simple as a cross promotion within their respective magazines. For example, "Hey ESPN mag, if you run some stuff on IFBB BB'ing in your mag, we'll put some ESPN stuff in M&F and Flex.") Real simple.

EXACTLY.  The old mighty IFBB with 50+ years of Bodybuilding under its belt has done nothing to further BB into the mainstream so their members can get major sposnorship deals and more prize money.  50years and nothing.  That is what you call shitty promotional power and creativity.  No matter what the IFBB ballhuggers say the PDI is gettig their name out there and that is what birngs in sponsors.  The IFBB has no clue how to do this or refuse to do this.  They have hurt the marketability of their members.  The IFBB #1 member COleman is an embarasment in the world of sponsorships.  The IFBB should be ashamed of themselves for not at least getting COleman some major sposorships.  Weider themselves should be sponsoring Coleman for a minimum million a year.  In fact that should be one of theprize in the Olympia. A $1 million contract for the winner.  No they don't that.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
You're right but allow me to remind you of your repeated predictions.

And the other PDI mouthpiece shares the same prediction.

Yes well they are predictions.  And how can you or anyone say anything derogatory against them until the actual show has happened.  Right now they are predictions and will be until the day after the show.  Then they turn into facts or fictions.  So lets see.  Either way I can live with it.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »
And how can you or anyone say anything derogatory against them until the actual show has happened. 
You want to come at me with this when all you did for months was bash on the Colorado Pro? OK.  ::)

Come on Keith you got something better then that.

Elevate Your Image.™

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:57 PM »
You want to come at me with this when all you did for months was bash on the Colorado Pro? OK.  ::)

Come on Keith you got something better then that.

I don't think I was bashing the Colorado Pro show.  I was bashing Sean. Big difference.  Whatever I said about the show was in connection with Sean.  Again big difference.    Come on Issac you got something better than that.