Author Topic: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE  (Read 11009 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:22:48 PM »
PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE

Pro Division Inc is proud to announce that PDI has an article in the August 14th issue of ESPN The Magazine. This is a very significant step forward for PDI since the inaugural PDI event, Night of Champions, is not until September 16th, at the Town Hall Theater in New York City. 

“PDI is very ecstatic about having an article in one of the largest sports magazines in the United States. With a circulation in the millions, ESPN The Magazine has given Bodybuilding and PDI exposure that is limited to only the major sports in America. This is just the first step in bringing Bodybuilding to levels that were never remotely attained in the past. We at PDI have established our goals, set our plans and we are progressing forward at an accelerated pace. Our velocity will remain under control to insure success at every level” states
PDI’s CEO Wayne S. DeMilia.

Anyone wishing to purchase tickets for Night of Champions XXVII can do so in person at any Ticketmaster outlet in New York City, by calling Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100, through the web at www.ticketmaster.com/venue/24622, through the PDI office at prodivisioninc@yahoo.com or at 845-638-9290. 

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
Re: PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 01:29:30 PM »
PDI IN ESPN THE MAGAZINE

Pro Division Inc is proud to announce that PDI has an article in the August 14th issue of ESPN The Magazine. This is a very significant step forward for PDI since the inaugural PDI event, Night of Champions, is not until September 16th, at the Town Hall Theater in New York City. 

“PDI is very ecstatic about having an article in one of the largest sports magazines in the United States. With a circulation in the millions, ESPN The Magazine has given Bodybuilding and PDI exposure that is limited to only the major sports in America. This is just the first step in bringing Bodybuilding to levels that were never remotely attained in the past. We at PDI have established our goals, set our plans and we are progressing forward at an accelerated pace. Our velocity will remain under control to insure success at every level” states
PDI’s CEO Wayne S. DeMilia.

Anyone wishing to purchase tickets for Night of Champions XXVII can do so in person at any Ticketmaster outlet in New York City, by calling Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100, through the web at www.ticketmaster.com/venue/24622, through the PDI office at prodivisioninc@yahoo.com or at 845-638-9290. 

That's great!

Unfortunately, at this point, it's only going to be bad for bodybuilding. PDI only has a few guys, and none of the top BB's competing at their first show. So if it does draw any attention to the show, the general public will not see what "REAL" pro bodybuilding is.

I'm not saying that in the future PDI won't pull it off and have an incredible organization, but now it's too early to try to get national exposure in the general public when you have no athletes. IMO

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »
That's great!

Unfortunately, at this point, it's only going to be bad for bodybuilding. PDI only has a few guys, and none of the top BB's competing at their first show. So if it does draw any attention to the show, the general public will not see what "REAL" pro bodybuilding is.

Maybe that's a good thing :)

You won't see 3 big guts in the final top 3 (Coleman, Cutler, Gustavo).
People might not change the channel after seeing a PDI top 3.  More mainstream appeal than the O final 3.  Sure, some diehard fans want 350 pounds of swollen roidgut.  But not most ESPN fans...

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »
good stuff, the PDI is on the move, i wonder what Lift and Chick have to say about this? they'll bad mouth it as usual.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

mrsirjojo

• Getbig II
  • Si vis pacem, Para bellum.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 01:40:48 PM »
That's great!

I'm not saying that in the future PDI won't pull it off and have an incredible organization, but now it's too early to try to get national exposure in the general public when you have no athletes. IMO

Best seat in the house is $200. Not sure if that's a good price, but I know these Ticketmaster fees are BS....

Building Facility Charge of $1.00,   Convenience Charge  $6.25...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »
That's great!

Actually it's the best time.  Fans will be able to see the PDI grow from the beginning.  ANd theNOC will have 25 competitors.  If I remember right most show have about 25 to 30.  So lack of competitors is a mute issue now.  And of course people are going to say well the quality is horrible.  Interesting since every competitors is a National winner or qualifier.  YOu guys are so into just US competitors and the IFBB you forget that Europe and Russia all have great competitors and BB is quite big in Europe.  ANdreas Frey could easily step on NPC stage and get his pro card.  Without a doubt.  YOu guys keep ragging on the PDI yet they are getting exposure the IFBB could never get.  EVen with the embarrasement the IFBB has put on BB, the PDI can get the exposure and recognition for it athletes.  If BB has ever a chance of becoming something more than just a bunch of big guys with muscle running around a stage in speedos and a joke to the general public, the PDI will do it. This is proof already.  ESPN laughs at BB yet Wayne was able to get them in a major SPORTS magazine.  Jeez, can't wait to hear from CHic, Issac and Kevin and see how they can try to make this announcement sound bad.  It will be the perfect example of being desperate.  Hurry called Manion and see what you should say.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:48:11 PM »
That's great!

Unfortunately, at this point, it's only going to be bad for bodybuilding. PDI only has a few guys, and none of the top BB's competing at their first show.

You gotta start somewhere though!
It will be good the fans will learn the new fans will learn the names of the bodybuilders faster and become more familar with pdi athletes.
Step in the right direction

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »
 Jeez, can't wait to hear from CHic, Issac and Kevin and see how they can try to make this announcement sound bad.  It will be the perfect example of being desperate.  Hurry called Manion and see what you should say.

I think this is a positive move.
Any publicity that can help increase the poor ticket sales is good and will help ensure the athletes get paid.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:53:49 PM »
Maybe that's a good thing :)

You won't see 3 big guts in the final top 3 (Coleman, Cutler, Gustavo).
People might not change the channel after seeing a PDI top 3.  More mainstream appeal than the O final 3.  Sure, some diehard fans want 350 pounds of swollen roidgut.  But not most ESPN fans...

I think portraying the current state of bodybuilding as all about roidgut, is a misrepresentation. Sure, there are some huge guys with distended stomachs. But they don't represent the majority.

I hope the PDI succeeds. I think it would be good for the sport to have options and more opportunities for the athletes. However, I think it will probably end up being an organization that is filled with people who weren't good enough to do well in the IFBB.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »
I think this is a positive move.
Any publicity that can help increase the poor ticket sales is good and will help ensure the athletes get paid.

You just can't resist throwing in a little jab can you.  ;D

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »
You just can't resist throwing in a little jab can you.  ;D

Founded on fact. Call up the box office and ask for tickets. Keith has repeatedly said that the show is a sell out, but there are hundreds of tickets available.

Also, I called and asked what time the show started and was asked "What time can you get here?"
That would indicate to me that ticket sales are poor.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 02:01:13 PM »
This is it. This is the death of the IFBB.
~

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 02:04:12 PM »
Founded on fact. Call up the box office and ask for tickets. Keith has repeatedly said that the show is a sell out, but there are hundreds of tickets available.

Also, I called and asked what time the show started and was asked "What time can you get here?"
That would indicate to me that ticket sales are poor.

You have waaaaay too much time on your hands.  ::) ;D

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
Actually it's the best time.  Fans will be able to see the PDI grow from the beginning.  ANd theNOC will have 25 competitors.  If I remember right most show have about 25 to 30.  So lack of competitors is a mute issue now.  And of course people are going to say well the quality is horrible.  Interesting since every competitors is a National winner or qualifier.  YOu guys are so into just US competitors and the IFBB you forget that Europe and Russia all have great competitors and BB is quite big in Europe.  ANdreas Frey could easily step on NPC stage and get his pro card.  Without a doubt.  YOu guys keep ragging on the PDI yet they are getting exposure the IFBB could never get.  EVen with the embarrasement the IFBB has put on BB, the PDI can get the exposure and recognition for it athletes.  If BB has ever a chance of becoming something more than just a bunch of big guys with muscle running around a stage in speedos and a joke to the general public, the PDI will do it. This is proof already.  ESPN laughs at BB yet Wayne was able to get them in a major SPORTS magazine.  Jeez, can't wait to hear from CHic, Issac and Kevin and see how they can try to make this announcement sound bad.  It will be the perfect example of being desperate.  Hurry called Manion and see what you should say.

I think what they're trying to do is great.

I just think trying to present it Joe Public is premature.

People are going to tune in to see if they like pro bodybuilding. But the PDI isn't an accurate depiction of Pro BB'ing. NONE of the top pro's from the sport will be there. So the public will be mislead into thinking their watching the "best" bodybuilders in the world, when that isn't true.

It's like publicising a pro basketball game and generating a lot of publicity. Joe Public buys tickets to watch the game, thinking they're going to be watching the Laker's or Heat, and they get all the fourth string guys from the bench.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 02:08:01 PM »
This is it. This is the death of the IFBB.
~

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
good stuff, the PDI is on the move, i wonder what Lift and Chick have to say about this? they'll bad mouth it as usual.

Exactly.
Oh...Monica!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
I think what they're trying to do is great.

I just think trying to present it Joe Public is premature.

People are going to tune in to see if they like pro bodybuilding. But the PDI isn't an accurate depiction of Pro BB'ing. NONE of the top pro's from the sport will be there. So the public will be mislead into thinking their watching the "best" bodybuilders in the world, when that isn't true.

It's like publicising a pro basketball game and generating a lot of publicity. Joe Public buys tickets to watch the game, thinking they're going to be watching the Laker's or Heat, and they get all the fourth string guys from the bench.

Yes, but the general public have no idea whether it's the 4th string or not. In fact, they most likey would rather watch a show where a Frank Zane or Bob Paris type physique wins than Ronnie or Jay.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »
Yes, but the general public have no idea whether it's the 4th string or not. In fact, they most likey would rather watch a show where a Frank Zane or Bob Paris type physique wins than Ronnie or Jay.

When you're watching a basketball game, can you see a difference when the team is playing without the superstars??

What makes sports exciting to watch are SUPERSTARS not just "average" people. Try taking the starting quarterback, wide reciever, and running back out of a football game; or the star pitcher, home run and leading RBI hitters out of the baseball game; Kobe or Shaq out of the basketball game.

I could go watch a high school or college game and see the same thing.

This could truly have a negative effect on BB'ing.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 02:36:15 PM »
When you're watching a basketball game, can you see a difference when the team is playing without the superstars??

What makes sports exciting to watch are SUPERSTARS not just "average" people. Try taking the starting quarterback, wide reciever, and running back out of a football game; or the star pitcher, home run and leading RBI hitters out of the baseball game; Kobe or Shaq out of the basketball game.

I could go watch a high school or college game and see the same thing.

This could truly have a negative effect on BB'ing.

Although there is a saying that "any publicity is good publicity" it only really works if the audience is interested and as far as bodybuilding competitions are concerned, the general public have shown absolutely no interest whatsoever. No matter how you dress it up, it's always going to remain a niche sport with a niche audience. A 10 page spread in Sports Illustrated would probably not attract a reader to a show that was in his home town.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
Although there is a saying that "any publicity is good publicity" it only really works if the audience is interested and as far as bodybuilding competitions are concerned, the general public have shown absolutely no interest whatsoever. No matter how you dress it up, it's always going to remain a niche sport with a niche audience. A 10 page spread in Sports Illustrated would probably not attract a reader to a show that was in his home town.

hater in the house.

hey dude, it's growing the sport of bodybuilding.  be happy.  we'd all be happy if the IFBB was featured in ESPN the Mag.  it's growth of the sport, good for all. 

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 02:49:38 PM »
hater in the house.

hey dude, it's growing the sport of bodybuilding.  be happy.  we'd all be happy if the IFBB was featured in ESPN the Mag.  it's growth of the sport, good for all. 

Not hate, realism.
If the IFBB were featured in any main stream magazine the result would be the same as far as ticket sales. The general public are not interested. Even the ones who train.

There was a huge banner in Times Square advertising the Mr Olympia. How many people do you think walked past that and thought "Gosh, that looks great I'll go"? I'd bet on none to one. How many who walked past it think about it today? I bet none.
Same thing is going to happen to the magazine article and I'd be saying the same thing whatever federation or show it was about.

See how many tickets you can get for the NOC at ticketmaster today and then check again a few days after the magazine is published. I bet there won't have been a rush on them.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »
That's great!

Luckily they'll only see the nice tapered aesthetic physiques, and not the big gutted near 300 lb abusers of the IFBB.

They have competitors. They are just not "names" within bbing circles. But some of the guys I've seen look great. Especially those from Europe.
HAHA, RON.....

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »
That's great!

Sorry, "real" bodybuilding isn't 40" waistlines.
The House that Ruth built

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
Not hate, realism.
If the IFBB were featured in any main stream magazine the result would be the same as far as ticket sales. The general public are not interested. Even the ones who train.

There was huge banner in Times Square advertising the Mr Olympia. How many people do you think walked past that and thought "Gosh, that looks great I'll go"? I'd bet on none to one. How many who walked past it think about it today? I bet none.
Same thing is going to happen to the magazine artivel and I'd be saying the same thing whatever federation or show it was about.
See how many tickets you can get for the NOC at ticketmaster today and then check again a few days after the magazine is published. I bet there won't have been a rush on them.

Eh, ticket outlet stalking is not really my thing bro.

I believe being featured in the mag will have a few good effects.  Internally, it will help legitimize the PDI in the eyes of some who are undecided.  Externally, if it sells one more ticket, it was a good move.  Long-term, it helps make BBing more accepted, more mainstream, and makes people more aware of it.  They might not go this year, but seeing it might make them more open to going to a show next year or maybe picking up a FLEX or an MD at the store.

You know AIDA.  Attention, interest, Desire, Action.  
For the mainstream group, BBing is still at the attention stage- they have seen muscle guys on tv or movies, and never thought much other than 'steroids!'.  Maybe seeing there is a show will generate a little interest.  (Or acceptance, the prelim to interest).
Desire comes when they look at their potbelly and realize that hey, I may never dunk a ball, but I can have a 6-pack.  Action might be buying a ticket, spending 5 minutes watching it on tv sometimes, etc.

baby steps.  ESPN the mag might not make the show sell out.  But if it causes a bit more acceptance, then it does contribute to the greater scheme of things.  And that, my friend, is...

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
I think portraying the current state of bodybuilding as all about roidgut, is a misrepresentation. Sure, there are some huge guys with distended stomachs. But they don't represent the majority.

I hope the PDI succeeds. I think it would be good for the sport to have options and more opportunities for the athletes. However, I think it will probably end up being an organization that is filled with people who weren't good enough to do well in the IFBB.

Yes, but its the two top guys, Ronnie and Jay who have the huge guts. The most visible guys are the worst offenders.
The House that Ruth built