Author Topic: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)  (Read 132919 times)

unbatrainer

• Getbig II
Re: STEVE REEVES- behind the scenes (only for getbiggers,,only on getbig!)
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
I no jack o a  he good buddy
his story are good

www.unbainc.com

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »
Pardon me?

unbatrainer

• Getbig II
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
I said no jack and his stories are good

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
Good writeup.

gh15, at what age do you think Arnold started taking hormones? Rick Wayne said in Wendy Leigh's book that at 17 Arnold had already been using Dianabol for a few years.

True. Those "few years" was only 2 years when Kurt Marnul introduced them to him.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #254 on: March 22, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
Who has the complete life story of Perry and Mabel Raider (IronMan Magazine)?

I don't think I've ever seen one written before. I met them a few times at some of the contests over 30+ years ago and they were always a delight to talk with.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #255 on: March 22, 2007, 04:19:26 PM »
Semper Fi, Stunt. Did you read those previous posts and mine
about dropping by the Dave Draper post and lend your prose,
if you have any.

Regarding the Raders'. If you go to Joe Roark's site...IRONHISTORY
you can read a personalized account of the couple, as seen through
my eyes and my attempt to try and purchase IronMan in 1984, via
a trip down to their headquarters in Alliance, NE...It's under the
bodybuilding section, titled: "My Bid (quest) for IronMan."

There's also many other interesting tidbits on Joe's great site about
the Raders' and IronMan.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
Howdy, Jay!

No, I did not read those earlier posts as I have been on the road a lot lately and just returned from a snowbound lengthened stay in Lake Tahoe, so this is the first time I got to my computer in the past week or so.

I'll do my best to get to it today or later on this week.

Thanks, Jay.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2007, 05:56:38 AM »
'woman's waste' ??? ok, a little dissturbing but bygones.

i don't recall reeves being a 'ww2 hero', but i'm now curious as to why he was a hero???

who certified him one? when? where?

anyone?

scott-e

• Getbig I
« Reply #258 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
I have the biography written by chris leclaire and he mentions that steve's company was involved in the taking of balete pass. I'm not a wwII history buff so i have no idea if that was a significant battle.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #259 on: April 04, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
Thanks Montana for those insights, thoughts and Reeves reflections.

He was in fact a WW II hero not because he served in that war, but because
he was decorated by his superiors and the United States Government for
heroism beyond the call of duty. And was thusly awarded a medal (s) for his
actions. He also returned from combat with Malaria (which I contracted, too,
believe me, it's not fun...).

Reeves will undoubtedly be remembered as the best built man, bodybuilder
ever...not by the monster equation and drug culture...but by the rank and file
of iron gamers around the world...and Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public.

He'll be remembered for many other reasons as well, but suffice to say, for
the purpose of Get Big and the bodybuilding community, being the best built
and perhaps most-gifted genetic, natural man/bodybuilder, will have to do.

All these other arguments and points--for lack of a better term--don't even
rise to the level of a low tide on a cloudy day.

No one here--or anywhere--needs really to defend Mr. Reeves. His life and
persona stands high on its own. But we just try to shed a little light on his
behalf...out of respect and human dignity.

They say jealousy is often the greatest form of flattery. For a lack of getting
respect any other way from some people, I guess we'll just have to
settle for that.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #260 on: April 04, 2007, 10:41:06 PM »
Here is some info on the Balete Pass battle ...

BATTLE OF BALETE PASS

A careful analysis of the US Armed Forces revealed the weakness of the Japanese defense wherein they can be overcome - in the Balete Pass-Santa Fe-Imugan area. Late in February, a three-pronged attack was launched against Gen. Yamashita's mountain stronghold - on the Villa Verde trail leading to the Municipality of Sta. Fe, Nueva Vizcaya. It was in this area that the fiercest battle occurred.

Balete Pass in the Caraballo Mountain was very strategic for the Japanese as it has honeycombed ridges and caves from which the Japanese could fire without being seen. On April 15, 1945, three US medium tanks managed to climb the mountainous terrain and penetrated the Japanese line of defense. The defenders were quickly subdued, some fled, leaving their weapons. On April 26, Gen. Yamashita arrived on the Balete front after evacuating Baguio, and decided to withdraw his remaining troops from Balete Pass retreating into Central Cordillera on May 5, 1945. On May 9, an American patrol found no Japanese soldiers at the pass. On May 13, the Balete Pass was declared Japanese-free by Gen. Kruger.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
Thanks Montana for those insights, thoughts and Reeves reflections.

He was in fact a WW II hero not because he served in that war, but because
he was decorated by his superiors and the United States Government for
heroism beyond the call of duty. And was thusly awarded a medal (s) for his
actions. He also returned from combat with Malaria (which I contracted, too,
believe me, it's not fun...).

Reeves will undoubtedly be remembered as the best built man, bodybuilder
ever...not by the monster equation and drug culture...but by the rank and file
of iron gamers around the world...and Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public.

He'll be remembered for many other reasons as well, but suffice to say, for
the purpose of Get Big and the bodybuilding community, being the best built
and perhaps most-gifted genetic, natural man/bodybuilder, will have to do.

All these other arguments and points--for lack of a better term--don't even
rise to the level of a low tide on a cloudy day.

No one here--or anywhere--needs really to defend Mr. Reeves. His life and
persona stands high on its own. But we just try to shed a little light on his
behalf...out of respect and human dignity.

They say jealousy is often the greatest form of flattery. For a lack of getting
respect any other way from some people, I guess we'll just have to
settle for that.

Jay, please don't take what i asked as critical or skeptical of reeves.

i am sincerely interested in this aspect of the man, in the sense that he wasn't just a body, he was a genuine war hero.

thanks for the info you gave (and Montana).

do you know why he was awarded this great honour?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2007, 12:17:59 PM »
steve had an incredible physique..amazing structure and genetics and he looked probably better than 99% of the human population when he was at his natural best.

but that doesnt meen he didnt juice at some point. wich he did.

Just how well did you know Steve, Slaveboy?

Didn't you know that "slaveboy" grew up with Reeves? LOL It's been apparent for years that no one seems to know for sure yet mr. pompous here's been able to clear this up in a heartbeat. :-\

Hope this helps. Expect another weak comeback.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »
Thanks BEAST and PUMPSTER, great handles, both.

What the heck, slaveboy is probably a slave in his own mind, but he's
entertaining, like some reality show. They make it look real, but it's anything
but.

But...it's real to the slaver and HIS reality...and those who wanna believe.

Actually, the medal honors are beyond me at the moment; I believe he rec'd
two though, above and beyond the normal ones any war participant receives.

I'm one of these old-fashioned hardasses that believes medals should be given
for honors earned; I've known servicemen who would deny their purple heart
because they felt it wasn't earned, compared to the guy who got wounded,
hardcore. And I've known those who would take a purple heart (like John
Kerry Heinz) who received a wittle bump on the shin.

Dan Would-Rather-Not, the long-standing news anchor, claimed he was a
Marine for years. Then, he was exposed in Valor book, saying he was ousted
before he graduated boot camp. He never actually earned the right to even be
called a Marine, let alone be one!!

I bet Stuntmovie (Semper Fi!) would have some thoughts...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
Yea, Jay! I can add a few interesting comments about military awards as I was on the Review Board at FMFPac after my Viet Nam tour and it was our job to review each and every situation in which a Marine enlisted man or officer was recommended for such honors. We would "scrutinize" each and every recommendation carefully (often to the point of argument) and make our recommendation to the CG for approval, denial, upgrade or downgrade.

I am not sure about Steve Reeves' military awards as they were never published to the best of my knowledge but he undoubtably did receive a few "unit awards" for participating in various campaigns in the Pacific. I have never heard anything or read anything about an "individual" award, but that doesn't mean he never received one or more.

It could prove interesting to do some research/letter-writing to determine the exact awards that he did receive during his tour of duty overseas. I don't think that part of Steve's life has ever been researched or described in accurate detail.

To be perfectly honest with ya, I've received my share of awards but once received and placed on my uniform; I'd forget all about them and at present I have no idea at all what each one was all about and the circumstances under which they were received. I do know that I do have a few stars on a few of them ..... meaning that I've earned that metal more than once.

I did present the Purple Heart to a few of my troops on a couple of occasions. The PH was one of those metals that we were able to award immediately and in both cases I attached it to the pillow of the recipients who were completely sedated in a field hospital. Under some circumstances we would make that presentation with full honors providing that the honoree was fully ambulatory, but in my experience most PH's were immedfiately awarded while the individual was under medical care.

I'll do my  best to see if I can  get some official information on Steve's tour of duty during WWII. Do you happen to have a contact point? I'm completely lost in that respect.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:04 PM »
Stunt, I'm going to check with Joe Roark on that; his arsenal of info is mind-
boggling. I doubt that he would know what WE are seeking, but he would know of a close, informed contact that may be able to shed some light on the issue.

Your reflections on medals is precise and spot perfect. I did know a few Marines in the Marine Barracks where I was stationed following Nam, that wore a few medals that weren't earned...and frankly it turned my guts. Since I was in a leadership billet I reported them--in a tactful way, really--to our CO, a crusty
tank commander who looked remarkably like John Wayne, but more muscular,
standing 6'4" and weighing probably 225, solid Marine Steel. He had long scars
going down his face and on his forehead. He too was appalled. This one joker
wore all the Nam ribbons and had never even gone yet. Made me sick.

The awards thing is another matter. I do believe--as a former newspaper
journalist myself--that reporters make stupid errors, especially regarding the
military or war, and then it goes to the editor who rapes it some more. The
only place I've seen reports about Reeves' medals were in magazines. And
we know how inaccurate they can be. But Reeves was extremely humble about
his record and seldom if ever mentioned it. When I met George Eiferman, Steve's
close friend for many, many years, he told me about Steve's war record, but I
can't recall the exact facts, except he won--was awarded--citations, unit
for sure, and perhaps a few individual ones. I do have some older publications about Reeves and will attempt to look up some facts, if they can be counted
on.

But you are absolutely right my friend about unit and individual citations. And
it's a point few understand, even fewer outside the military. Personally, I have too much profound respect for my brothers-in-arms who were seriously wounded or died, to ever even flirt with wearing anything I didn't totally deserve, because I have my life and limbs and they don't.

Nothing against the other services mind you, but it's the generally accepted fact that medals given to Marines are far more scrutinized and earned than
elsewhere...at least in the "old" Corps. But then, I'm slightly biased; sorry.

Semper Fi.

And regards and respects to all--ALL--Servicemembers. SALUTE!

Steve Reeves may or may not have been a (genuine) war hero, per se, a term misused today in a very devaluing way by the press and uninformed people, but by virtue of his service during war, his participation in it, his contraction of Malaria, his involvement in known campaigns, his hospitalization, etc., etc., he deserves recognition and our adulation. Reeves did not skirt his country and responsibility. He faced it head-on and was among a relative elite few who accomplished great things in Bodybuilding and Hollywood but humbly also served his country, but never complained. So, in the sense of integrity, honor and character, he was indeed a "hero" of a man.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
In an attempt to continue this conversation, I'll add a couple of comments ......

We mentioned Rory earlier and I had the honor of first meeting him many years back when he was still a teen or in his early 20's. A good friend of mine was training at Bill Pearl's in Pasadena and usually drove a bit further east (back then "further east" was mainly a major desert completely deserted) to get a haircut from some kid who trained and worked at a gym way out there.

So we drive along the desert (as I recall it) and arrive at this gym and I get introduced to Rory who was preparing to cut Rob's hair. Rory was a big kid even back then and was planning to be a major name in the bodybuilding world. (I posted a photo of Rory adn Rob during that haircut session many months back if anyone is interested.)

Not much of a story there but that's how I met Rory.

And Joe Valdez .... I first met Joe many years later and one of the first things he asked me was, "What's your birthdate?" He asked everyone that and once he asked he never forgot. I still received  birthday greeting up to the year of his death. In fact the last time he wished me a happy birthday, I asked him if I could pick him up at the home he lived in and take him to a Mexican lunch because he always bragged about this one place he really enjoyed. But he was feeling low that day and we never made it and he passed away shortly thereafter.

Joe always like to tell me old time Hollywood star stories because he knew my association to the business. His favorite star/friend was a lady name Joan Crawford. I forget what it was that Joe actually did in the movie studios but he had many close friends who were major stars back then.

Am still doing my best  to get Reeves' war records but too much traveling has placed a damper on that assignment, and still trying ot find any photos of Curt Freeman.

OK, maybe this will get this section rolling once again.

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
ok. take pen and paper and sit down for history of hormones in bodybuilding 101,,an elective credit course  out of gh15 mouth free of charge. it's going to be long,,but it is the ONLY truth when it comes to bodybuilding history and bodybuilding as a whole. there will be no exam at the end ;) i will not take questions at the end. of the course it is a lecture,, so leave the questions for another day and time.

first,,i would like to start with a review of myself:

1) i am a VERY femiliar face very high regarded IFBB professional athlete,,there is not even one person in the bodybuilding industry that havent seen me or heard about my name. i WON not only competed BUT won proffessional shows before.

2) this lecure will include the such and such of bodybuilding early era (eugene, grimek, steve, bill and many more that due to limited space i wont be able to mention here) it will include key factor in that early bodybuilding era.

3) you MUST understand that i TOO like steve,, inorder for you to be able to read this all without getting crazy mad and smoke coming out of your ears. i DO respect reeves for his contribution to the bodybuilding industry and see him as one of all time best.
i write this as an education for you and your peers and anything i say here that tarnish steve reputation is not meant to do so. this is only for you to learn and penetrate deeper into the hormone/stimulant arena of the late 30s and 40s.

4) im aware of the fact that some of you younger guys (im not talking about guys in their 40s) have steve as a big role model and he deserves this spot. he passed away now for years and it is like open a pandora box for nothing you will think. i think it is good education and i think it will help you decide the way you want to persue your bodybuilding life,,(wether naturally with specific low doses of products or chemically enhanced with taking your physiqe into the higher extreme levels of the npc competition)

5) quotes will NOT be provided since i am writing out of my vast knowledge and experience on myself and on "natural athletes" and chemical enhanced athletes,,i dont have time to go look for quotes for you on the internet or bring in old dead gurus out of the grave. if 240 wants or any other computer specialist,,they will be able to provide you with quotes and references.

6) the lecute will be mostly about steve as the base and everything around it (like an octopus and its many arms) due to late debate about this subject. again steve reeves WAS natural in todays terms. 100% NATURAL IN TODAY'S TERMINOLOGY. he only experiemented with hormones/drugs in their rough stages of development.

so lets start.

"and then there came steve reeves...."

the 19th century was full of books and lliterature about hormones and stimulants for their ability to help human kind. many writers wrote about it and fantesize about it exactly like many sci fi writers fantesized about the red planet and the journy to get there.

bodybuilding was nothing those days and rarely you would find someone who was involved in any type of body-building beside eugene and few select others. they did it with passion to live healthier and "extend" their life spans. they were NATURALS in the real essense of the word,,meaning they built their end physiqe on resistance training and food only (ofcourse there were caffine later on but it was natural) they had no sophisticated supplements either. nothing but good ole food. this era ended with eugene sadly. no one ever came to this level and no one will because the world has evolved and science became reality.

the 20th century brought a lot of promises with it. people were more interested in improving their body and life styles for other than health reasons. it became fashionable along the century in addition to a way of living due the progess achieved by medical research of those early 20s century years.

in all along the beggingin of the 20th century researches experiemnted through trial and error with specific compounds such as insulin etc inorder to eventually someday make it marketable. in 1924 or 25 ely lilly a famous company in usa has produced insulin after long time of research. it helped  A LOT of people and in my opinion one of the best hormones of the century with aspects to medical use.
ofcourse it changed the powerlifting and bodybuilding (bodybuilding was a tiny little fun those days) tremendesly!

untill the year of 1925 EVERYTHING in powerlifting and body-building (resistance training) was N A T U R A L,,past 1925 it was going a different direction.

i could talk about grimek specifically but the main substance of this lecture is steve reeves because then,,THE HUMAN BODY and  bodybuilding was not marketable. pre steve reeves image there was only the will but there was no substance (as in frame and features) to work with commericaly to a satifying level. grimek was a very good bodybuilder that did experiement with the era rough compounds but his physiqe simply didnt cut it. he was indeed natural 100% in comparrison to todays "naturals" and chemical enhanced athletes.

THE STEVE REEVES BODYBUILDING ERA.

steve is the arnold of usa. he is the all american boy,, the ALL AMERICAN FRAT BOY IMAGE HAS BEEN DEVELOPED WITH STEVE REEVES IN MIND in the eyes of the american girls later on in the 60s and 70s. american pretty boy he was!. "and then came steve reeves.." is not a sentence that was said for nothing,,he was an all american pretty boy. he was tall, had wonderful frame, was nice and charming, he had what ever it takes. he was the HEART of the OCTOPUS body building wanted to become in usa. i repea,,t IN USA. no one cared about the rest of the world in those time. usa was ONLY usa when it comes to marketability of a bodybuilder.

inorder to understand steve reeves influence on the sport of bodybuilding better you need to know the support group and major people of the era that were the BRAIN of the octopus. i will introduce them here to a degree. these individuals contributed more than the athlete itself to the success of bodybuilding and power lifting in the usa and ofcourse around the world later on. they are all good people with good intentions and i respect them all. and here they are: mr. berry, mr johnson, mr blair, mr eugene SCHIFF, mr atlas, mr weider joe, mr hoffman, and ofcourse mr ziegler.

there you have it more or less,,the brain of the octopus. all of these individuals were and wanted  make money out of bodybuilding and  had to find a star in order to make the baby octopus a big and long armed one. the chosen one was steeve reeves. not to forget!! joe weider came to the scene in 1939-40 and soon later mr reeves popped up..he also only competed between 47 and 50 or 46-50 if my memory serves me correctly and thats because he was by then and only then ready (pay attention to the years).

joe weider is and was BODYBUILDING. he is the SOLE reason  modern bodybuilding started and the sole reason bodybuilding will continue. he was the CONNECTION in a big chain of chimical reactions that could never happen unless he was there due to his enormous human skills and his ability to talk you into anything he believed in,,inaddition to his vast knowledge of individuals in diff fields who contributed to the industry some of whom are mentioned in this lecture.

the rest of the above mentioned individual were very important to bodybuilding in their own way and time but! the connection to the HORMONE WORLD was established late in the 30s and early in the 40s by mr weider and the most important person in this lecture beside steve,, and it is MR ZIEGLER.

mr ziegler was the brain and knowledge behind steve reeves enourmous advancment as a bodybuilder. joe weider was the cheerleader and the human skill factor that connected the "willing" people with the "right" people thus i name him "THE GLUE". those 2 brought steve reeves from a pretty boy young man to FAME as a pure usa bodybuilder. from there the way to movies was piece of cake since steve was both pretty boy and gained the muscle needed through training and experiemnting to be uniqe for that time in history.

now,,,after clarifying the brain behind reeves and "THE GLUE" (joe weider) we can take a look at how mr ziengler helped steve reeves.

mr ziegler was a doctor.  DOCTOR FOR THE ATHLETES that worked with usa teams. not to forget! in those days a doctor was a king or a god depending on how you see it. he was invloved in rehabilitation therapy and had UNLIMITED acess to anything in the research industry. and oh he acsessed it he surely did with the full support from "THE GLUE".

john was very "connected" to the pharmacutical firm CIBA,,in other words he experiemnted with raw products all through the 40s. very high regarded products that were REAL PHARMA MADE. he had open approach to science and was very good with his research. he experiemnted with version of teststerone on himself ofcourse and then he continued with the general rich patient of his and THE ATHLETES he chose to.

the MAIN CHOSEN ATHLETE for john to work with a young guy by the name of STEVE. the chosen one according to "THE GLUE" had to be a novice,,someone that poses potential and not a joe shmoe,,someone BEAUTIFUL that can push the "health industry" into the eyes of the typical american family of the post WW2.

as i mentioned before CIBA and "THE GLUE" were very much in the chase for introducing american athletes especially body-builders to the testosterone hormone and since 1946 they were pushing it exteremly hard so from 1946 the researches on STEVE were a lot more consistant.

to make a story short,,,10 years later that same mr john ziegler introduced the popular dianabol tablet (derivative of testosterone) into the market produced by CIBA and it was a common house hold product of each and every bodybuilder from grimek in his later years through bill that extended it to the use of nilevar (another very good drug) through a consistant and very organized use of bodybuilders like larry. larry was already using it like candies spread along the day. those were the days animals and humans became alike in many ways atleast drug wise.

getting back to the experiements ziegler conducted with young steve there were other products they tried to see the wat the testosterone will react with them. ziegler tried a fat burner called DNP on steve along with testosterone propionate in its rough older version. insulin another favorite hormone i talked about earlier in this lesson was also experiemented with inorder to see the reaction of the 3 compounds with eachother for muscle building and muscle retaining purposes ONLY. DOCTOR ziegler had an open acess to ANY compound he decided he wanted to research and had a complete back up of CIBA pharmacuticals.

so there we have it: THE BRAIN,,THE GLUE,,AND THE GOLDEN BOY. the creation of modern bodybuilding in its better days when every one was innocent. the researches were very interesting and they also helped the golden boy achieving his dreams. it helped every one in many ways . one became a tycoon of money and the leader i OUTMOST respect,,,yes i respect joe a lot,,,one became the inventor of the best most sold hormone in the sports world and he did regret it at the end of his live BUT he will forever be thankful by us bodybuilders,,and ofcourse it helped us the next generations to realize dreams we never thought were possible,,it helped us achieve wonderful careers and see places we would never see otherwize all through the 60s and 70s.

then came the  late 70s early 80s and the ABUSE started. and abuse brought us down to a level that to me is very shocking. a level that got to its lower with the murderer as of recently.

to back up this lecture with literature i am attaching here underneath an article about the researches done with testosterone all along the 20th century. the article is not exactly accurate but i approve it more or less.

i hope you enjoyed it and again this isnot inorder to bring someone down BUT inorder to build someone up!

we,,the industry,, are in trouble,,bodybuilding as you know it will end with ron coleman this is the max a human can develop himself. i do not think bodybuilding will ever stop its existance,,,but the physiqe you see now it at its max development.

end

*copy and save this lesson,, it is a tresure for any new and upcoming bodybuilder wether you are natural or enhanced. i would charge close to $1500 for a one hour lecture such as this.

article

Testosterone Dreams

Sex, doctors, and the male hormone

Testosterone dreams are the fantasies of hormonal rejuvenation, sexual excitement, and supernormal athletic performances that have been inspired by testosterone drugs since the “male hormone” testosterone was first synthesized in 1935. Shortly after testosterone was produced in a European laboratory, following a competition among three pharmaceutical companies, Time magazine reported that: “German and Swiss chemical laboratories are already prepared … to manufacture from sheep’s wool all the testosterone the world needs to cure homosexuals (and) revitalize old men.” Imaginative interpretations of the power of hormones—a word that was invented in 1905—proliferated for decades even before the eventual synthesis of testosterone. “Attempts have been made to explain even psychic processes such as emotions and states of mind through the increase or diminution or alterations of this or that gland,” as one scientist noted in Endocrinology in 1919. In short, hormonal substances were granted a power to shape personality and produce euphoric states that they have retained to this day.

Over the past seven decades, the growing use of testosterone and its derivatives, the anabolic-androgenic steroids, have demonstrated that many people around the world are interested in using testosterone products for a variety of purposes. These practices run the gamut from legal procedures such as “anti-aging” therapies, which employ these androgenic drugs with synthetic human growth hormone, to the illegal use of anabolic steroids by many bodybuilders, athletes, and some policemen, who view physical strength and aggression as requirements for performing on stage, in the stadium, or on the street. The use of synthetic testosterone as a sexual stimulant is also becoming increasingly common among older people who belong to a generation that increasingly regards sexual fulfillment as a lifelong entitlement.

Sexuality in conservative times
Testosterone became a charismatic drug during the 1940s because it promised sexual stimulation and renewed energy. Physicians described the optimal effect of testosterone drugs as a feeling of “well-being,” a term that has been used many times since the 1940s to characterize their positive effect on mood. In the early 1940s testosterone was hailed in pharmaceutical advertising as a mood-altering drug whose primary purpose was the sexual restoration and reenergizing of aging males. It appeared at that time that an inexpensive supply, widespread demand, and favorable medical opinion would soon produce a major market for testosterone products.

The first public advocate of testosterone therapy for aging men was the popular science journalist Paul de Kruif, whose manifesto The Male Hormone was published with some fanfare in 1945. Excerpted in Reader’s Digest and promoted by a full-page review in Newsweek (“Hormones for He-Men”), The Male Hormone was in some respects a prophetic book. The potential market for a rejuvenating male hormone seemed to be enormous: “How many millions of American males, not the men they used to be, would flock to the physicians and the druggist, a bit shame-faced and surreptitious, maybe, but hopeful, murmuring: ‘Doc, how about some of this new male hormone?’”

Testosterone did not become a mass market drug in the 1940s due to the sexual conservatism of most American physicians and the society they served. The belief that testosterone was a stimulating drug made it a potential threat to sexual morality as well as a promising therapy. Sensational coverage had given the male hormone a quasi-pornographic image that its female counterpart estrogen had never acquired. Commenting on testosterone’s unsavory reputation in 1946, Science Digest reported that “the uninformed continue to believe that the sole use of this innocent chemical is to turn sexual weaklings into wolves, and octogenarians into sexual athletes.”

The 1940s also saw the use of testosterone therapy as an experimental “cure” for homosexuality. The medical view of homosexuality as a type of endocrine deficiency made the use of testosterone propionate to reverse homosexual orientation virtually predictable. As one physician in 1940 put it: “If homosexuality is merely the result of an endocrine disturbance, the prospect for its cure must be excellent today.”

The idea that the bodies of homosexuals contained less male hormone and more female hormone than those of heterosexuals first appeared in 1935. By 1940 a number of investigators were confident enough in their ability to assay hormone levels to claim that homosexuality was rooted in abnormal sex hormone ratios rather than the psychological complexes hypothesized by Freud and others. “It seems,” one research team wrote, “that the constitutional homosexual has a different sex hormone chemistry than the normal male.” The fallacy of this therapeutic rationale became evident soon enough. Testosterone propionate combined with chorionic gonadotropin was not curing homosexuals, even in studies that encouraged belief in the drug and did not compare its effects with those of a placebo. In fact, it was becoming increasingly clear that androgens did not reverse but actually intensified homosexual libido, so that “sometimes instead of helping one gets a worsening of the condition.”

Prescription for women?
Testosterone drugs were also the favored pharmacological technique of the 1940s for treating sexual “frigidity” in women. Testosterone propionate ointment could be applied to the vulva or clitoris to increase genital sensitivity. Testosterone could be injected or pellets implanted under the skin to intensify libido. By 1943 testosterone propionate was reported to be in widespread use to treat women with sexual and other endocrine disorders. In 1947 a team of authors noted that over the previous decade “the effect of androgens in increasing libido in women has been an almost universal observation.” It appeared that androgens influenced libido in three ways, “causing a) a heightened susceptibility to psychic stimulations; b) increased sensitivity of the external genitalia, particularly of the clitoris and c) greater intensity of sexual gratification.” Perhaps the most interesting point about these scientifically primitive observations is that they have been repeatedly confirmed by later investigators."......

....The idea that women are the principal cause of sexual problems in marriage has been a staple of medical folklore for more than a century. Men were assumed to have a stronger sexual impulse than women. Over the many years the term was in circulation, the medical literature always assigned sexual “frigidity” exclusively to women. The disorder once known as male “impotence,” and that was eventually rechristened “erectile dysfunction,” never carried the same stigma of emotional deficiency and personal inadequacy. Impotence was an unfortunate physiological problem, while “frigidity” signaled a defective personality and a failure to live up to a wife’s marital obligations. Some (male) doctors knew perfectly well that a great deal of the “frigidity” displayed by wives was the direct result of sexually ignorant or indifferent husbands. A 1931 JAMA editorial, for example, argues that most female “frigidity” is caused by the emotional disinterest of husbands who had “obtained their premarital knowledge of the sexual act from intercourse with prostitutes” whose sexual gratification was of no interest to the paying customer.

The medical literature offered various cures for female “frigidity.” During the 1930s and 1940s these included the use of electricity to sensitize the vaginal mucous membrane: “The treatment consists in inserting a large vaginal electrode into the vagina, connecting it with the negative pole, while the positive pole is connected with a wet abdominal electrode, the galvanic current is allowed to pass for about ten minutes. Without disturbing the electrodes, we now give the sinusoidal-galvanic current for another ten minutes. No pain must be caused by the treatment.” Other commentators, as noted, recommended sexual education for the many husbands who appeared to know nothing about female sexual anatomy or psychology. It was during the 1930s that proposals to use hormonal substances to boost female sex drive began to appear with increasing frequency in the medical literature.

By the end of that decade synthetic testosterone propionate and methyltestosterone had become, in effect, experimental drugs that were being used for various (and, in retrospect, usually mistaken) clinical purposes. Megadoses sometimes amounting to thousands of milligrams that were intended to neutralize estrogen-driven breast cancers were one application. One of the unofficial dogmas of this early period was that the male hormone would sexually stimulate men and that estrogens would have a similar effect on women. Androgens were sometimes applied to the penis, while estrogens were applied to the clitoris. The discovery that testosterone sexually stimulated females thus came as a shock to the physicians who observed this effect. A 1941 paper reports the author’s reaction to this phenomenon in both young and old women: “My attention was first drawn to it by several elderly women who found the resurgence of libido distressing. The phenomenon is equally as striking among young women. A number of married women, who had considered themselves frigid, stated that after receiving the testosterone propionate injections they experienced a marked increase in coital gratification, culminating in an orgasm.”

B.S..........prove reeves was on Steroids with ACTUAL WRITTEN EVIDENCE, VERBAL, RECORDINGS, TAPE etc etc, in your opinion EVERYONE is on "Steroids".... absolutely bizarre anyone with a good Physique with Lowish BF is on this....and "That".... this mite shock you there are MANY people with Great Physiques on Nothing as in Hormones, that you can bank on.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2012, 04:13:57 AM »
By the late 1940s testosterone was being touted as an anti-aging wonder drug (e.g., see Paul de Kruif's The Male Hormone).[77] Decline of testosterone production with age has led to interest in androgen replacement therapy.[78]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testosterone#Medical_uses

he group of Ernst Laqueur at the University of Amsterdam purified testosterone from bovine testicles in a similar manner in 1934, but isolation of the hormone from animal tissues in amounts permitting serious study in humans was not feasible until three European pharmaceutical giants—Schering (Berlin, Germany), Organon (Oss, Netherlands) and Ciba (Basel, Switzerland)—began full-scale steroid research and development programs in the 1930s.

The Organon group in the Netherlands were the first to isolate the hormone, identified in a May 1935 paper "On Crystalline Male Hormone from Testicles (Testosterone)".[130] They named the hormone testosterone, from the stems of testicle and sterol, and the suffix of ketone. The structure was worked out by Schering’s Adolf Butenandt.[131][132]
The chemical synthesis of testosterone from cholesterol was achieved in August that year by Butenandt and Hanisch.[133] Only a week later, the Ciba group in Zurich, Leopold Ruzicka (1887–1976) and A. Wettstein, published their synthesis of testosterone.[134] These independent partial syntheses of testosterone from a cholesterol base earned both Butenandt and Ruzicka the joint 1939 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.[132][135] Testosterone was identified as 17β-hydroxyandrost-4-en-3-one (C19H28O2), a solid polycyclic alcohol with a hydroxyl group at the 17th carbon atom. This also made it obvious that additional modifications on the synthesized testosterone could be made, i.e., esterification and alkylation.
The partial synthesis in the 1930s of abundant, potent testosterone esters permitted the characterization of the hormone’s effects, so that Kochakian and Murlin (1936) were able to show that testosterone raised nitrogen retention (a mechanism central to anabolism) in the dog, after which Allan Kenyon’s group[136] was able to demonstrate both anabolic and androgenic effects of testosterone propionate in eunuchoidal men, boys, and women. The period of the early 1930s to the 1950s has been called "The Golden Age of Steroid Chemistry",[137] and work during this period progressed quickly. Research in this golden age proved that this newly synthesized compound—testosterone—or rather family of compounds (for many derivatives were developed from 1940 to 1960), was a potent multiplier of muscle, strength, and well-being.[77]

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
Good read...

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #270 on: November 11, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
A simple mention of Steve brings me in. Steve was my first mentor. I joined Bert Goodrich Gym on Hollywood Blvd. in 1954. I lied about my age to join. Said I was 16. Steve was training there in-between gigs. Bert asked him to write me a program and keep his eye on me. I was upclose and hands on with the man. He guided me for a few months. In those days when it was hot (no AC) so you trained shirt off and with a towel. IMO Steve was natural based on my years later use of AAS myself and training others to National championships. I never saw Dbol in the gym until the mid-late 50s.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2013, 08:00:28 AM »
many here would have enjoyed steve's company .. no doubt! ::) ::) ::) ::)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »
Proof Steve was the man:  http://dai.ly/xz16k5

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »
Another rare one: 

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »
I always wondered if Steves voice wasn't very good which is why they dubbed over his voice in the movies.  From this clip, he seems to have a very deep voice that would have been good for the movies.  Maybe his acting was just that bad.