Author Topic: The Iron Game by David Carter  (Read 11995 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: The Iron Game by David Carter
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:36 PM »
does anybody remember that article that AJ put out on "bodybuilders"?

it was a small "case study" like affair, and Arnold was defiantely one of the "bodybuilders" which AJ had described

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Heres the thread
http://forum.iron-age-classic-bodybuilding.com/index.php/topic,11965.0.html
i'm surprised i thought this thread died a quick and sudden death on ironage, surprised all the renewed interest. i guess that's what happens when ken spraque  logs on. ;D ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
 :o
F

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
 :D

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:10 PM »
Ok  Powerlift66, we've waited 9 years to hear what's in this book. Hope you're doing to spill the beans. :D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
Nasser's book was way better

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Very strange / bizarre book.
Carter basically tells of all the exploits of the bodybuilders back then (Ken Sprague, Arnold, etc with names changed).
Kens pretty open about his past, hides nothing about it.

Lots of the stories have been spoken of online over the years (Don Peters living w/ Dr. Strangelove, etc).

Kens post on Raw-Iron basically sums things up as the main story going on in this book:

it was stuff like this:

--------------

I can elaborate, but first I want to note that I have no qualms w/ Don's path to economic stability: He used his innate good-looks and bodybuilder's physique to make a very good living as a prostitute/companion. Many bodybuilders of that era did the same thing. That's an individual choice thing---harmless of itself---that many of the era engaged in.

Where I do have a problem is w/ the phony image of Don put forth by Joe in the magazines---Joe for lots of reasons chose to project/publish a fantasy of Don's life comporting to the image Don wanted to project.

Here are the facts: Don was employed by Academy Films, a small educational film company owned by Dr Strangelove (the name given by Zabo). Don's primary job was analogous to that of a mailroom employee---packaging and labeling films for shipment. He "earned" a paycheck. He earned much more in the after-hours as Dr Strangelove's "companion." Strangelove watched him train; they plated pool; rode motorcycles together; etc. Overon was paid by the hour and made lots more (tax free) as a "companion" of Strangelove than he did at Academy Films.  Over the decade they were together, Don bought a home, expensive cars, and in general lived the "good life."

Dr Strangelove moved on in the '70's as Don lost the flower of youth (he was in his 40's by then). The situation was much like that of an ageing actress who loses her youthful appeal. But, Don had accrued substantial assets by this time through his relationship w/ the Doc. [This was the Dr's pattern---he had another man in his "employ" at Academy Films and beyond for the decade previous to Peters]

The relationship and Don's source of income was common knowledge among the bodybuilders of the era. As I noted, many were doing the same thing for relative nickles and dimes---Don was one who hit the proverbial jackpot. [How many guys got paid to train?] And Dr Strangelove was a very nice man---he was married w/ two children; hence, both he and Don were best served by "keeping it quiet."

Joe clearly knew the deal---he and I talked about it. The photos of the pool-playing Sergio and the parties at "Peter's home" were, in fact, taken at a home owned by Strangelove---the Doc puchased that home to set up a gym w/in as the venue where he could watch Don train---and the venue for assignations.

West Coast bodybuilding was a very small world in those days. Presuming that the guys who hung around the gym in those days didn't know what was going on would be a giant (28" arms) leap of faith.

To reiterate, from my perspective, I have absolutely no problem w/ Don's conduct or choice of occupation, per se. I do have a problem w/ the intentionally false depiction of his life. That depiction obfuscated the reality of bodybuilding during the era. It was part of Joe's narrative that "the Sun always shines on bodybuilders."

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »
don peters
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
don peters
take notice of the large man next to peters 6 ft 8 inch Lloyd lampton arm wrestling champ..
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
take notice of the large man next to peters 6 ft 8 inch Lloyd lampton arm wrestling champ..
;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
the benefactor might have been one of the two older " gentlemen"  in the background
F

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »

Ed Guiliani talking about Don Peters @ 8:20

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
Profession of peace.

Arnold sold his ass too.

I wonder how he feels about that today?

8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 12:13:57 PM »

Ed Guiliani talking about Don Peters @ 8:20
je mentions david carter of the iron game fame too.
F

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
Profession of peace.

Arnold sold his ass too.

I wonder how he feels about that today?

8)

he probably farted all the way to the bank
c

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2021, 05:39:47 PM »
"It's the greatest sport"......as Arnold said in 75.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2021, 02:04:38 AM »
How did the bodybuilding community avoid the AIDS virus in the 80's? It seems with those lifestyles AIDS would have cleaned out Venice Beach.