Author Topic: USPF Senior Nationals 8/19 WV.  (Read 6175 times)

ARTI

• Getbig II
USPF Senior Nationals 8/19 WV.
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:39:33 PM »
Some big names and some great lifting went on.
Ed Coan, Brian Siders, Scott Smith and Mike Mastrean to name a few.
There was a Bench and Dead for cash. The biggest bench over 550 and the biggest dead over 7 won $2500 for each.

Coan was off, he couldn't get down on any of his squats and failed to lockout a legal bench
but he managed to get one passed in both.
Scott Smith was fucking Jacked @275! and strong as hell! He'll total 2400 very soon.
Siders bombed in the bench but took the money from Coan in the dead with 815.
He needed it for the Worlds in Norway, but he might be banned for lifting
against a banned lifter. (Dumbest IPF Rule there is) interesting to see how that works out.
Matt McCase ran another good meet.
SlackJaw Fagets

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: USPF Senior Nationals 8/19 WV.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:04:46 AM »
Some big names and some great lifting went on.
Ed Coan, Brian Siders, Scott Smith and Mike Mastrean to name a few.
There was a Bench and Dead for cash. The biggest bench over 550 and the biggest dead over 7 won $2500 for each.

Coan was off, he couldn't get down on any of his squats and failed to lockout a legal bench
but he managed to get one passed in both.
Scott Smith was fucking Jacked @275! and strong as hell! He'll total 2400 very soon.
Siders bombed in the bench but took the money from Coan in the dead with 815.
He needed it for the Worlds in Norway, but he might be banned for lifting
against a banned lifter. (Dumbest IPF Rule there is) interesting to see how that works out.
Matt McCase ran another good meet.

I like that IPF rule actually. 8)

Why?

It would make it easier to keep all lifters in the IPF lifetime naturals, not being able to take a year off competing in another federation.

I believe a lifetime ban should be in place. Not so much for it being a huge violation, but rather for it giving the lifters an easy choice:

Either go with lifetime natural or not.

To keep lifters drug free in the IPF, you would have to do what Hungary did, make it criminal to get caught with a positive steroid test, effectively getting most of the Hungarian National Team switching to WPC/WPO.

To me, I'm not interested in changing what guys in the untested feds are doing.

But the tested feds should do everything within their power to guarantee a fair competition.

Why?

Because I have several friends who's been robbed on championships medals by Eastern Lifters. If everyone had been lifetime natural, there would have been at least a few championships to some guys I know.

And that sucks.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:01:52 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean but it's a monopoly of the lifter to a certain fed. The IPF can still out-of-meet test
any lifter whenever they want. The truth is they don't want to pop top guys. It's bad for business because they'll
just go to USPF where they can take the same shit they were taking and not have to stop 2 weeks out.
USAPL is at record lows for membership right now, it's dying. I hope you don't think the strictly IPF guys are
"natural" just because they're not competing elsewhere between meets. If your friends were competing at IPF
worlds without ever taking anything, then they were the only ones. the IPF is suppose to be the true legitimate fed,
but really it's a huge hypocrisy. These guys "drug-tested" but not natural by any means and the poor schmocks
actually competing natural are getting ass-raped. The USPF is cut and dry, you know what's going on.
Now just lift.

Some more results:
Jeff Peshek won the $2500 for the biggest bench with 742 and 2 very close attempts at 792.
Brian Sider won the $2500 on the DL with 814.

Mike Mastrean-(220)  854 / 501 / 710 / 2065
Ed Coan-(242)  859 / 523 / 810 / 2192
Scott Smith-(275)  903 / 617 / 661 / 2181
SlackJaw Fagets

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:14:54 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean but it's a monopoly of the lifter to a certain fed. The IPF can still out-of-meet test
any lifter whenever they want. The truth is they don't want to pop top guys. It's bad for business because they'll
just go to USPF where they can take the same shit they were taking and not have to stop 2 weeks out.
USAPL is at record lows for membership right now, it's dying. I hope you don't think the strictly IPF guys are
"natural" just because they're not competing elsewhere between meets. If your friends were competing at IPF
worlds without ever taking anything, then they were the only ones. the IPF is suppose to be the true legitimate fed,
but really it's a huge hypocrisy. These guys "drug-tested" but not natural by any means and the poor schmocks
actually competing natural are getting ass-raped. The USPF is cut and dry, you know what's going on.
Now just lift.

Some more results:
Jeff Peshek won the $2500 for the biggest bench with 742 and 2 very close attempts at 792.
Brian Sider won the $2500 on the DL with 814.

Mike Mastrean-(220)  854 / 501 / 710 / 2065
Ed Coan-(242)  859 / 523 / 810 / 2192
Scott Smith-(275)  903 / 617 / 661 / 2181

I just went to the website of Kenta Sandvik,World Champ 2003-2005 and WR Holder, where he's published the results of all the doping tests he's taken over the last couple of years.

My belief is that Kenta is clean.

Now, he and a few others are getting tested this often. I know most top USAPL lifters are not.

träning =out of competition test
tävling = competition test

- 05.03.2003 (träning)
- 08.03.2003 (tävling)
- 05.04.2003 (tävling)
- 03.05.2003 (tävling)
- 11.05.2003 (tävling)
- 10.08.2003 (tävling)
- 06.09.2003 (tävling)
- 08.10.2003 (träning)
- 07.12.2003 (tävling)
- 17.03.2004 (träning)
- 22.05.2004 (tävling)
- 08.08.2004 (tävling)
- 20.10.2004 (träning)
- 05.12.2004 (tävling)
- 11.12.2004 (tävling)
- 26.02.2005 (tävling)
- 02.04.2005 (tävling)
- 16.07.2005 (tävling)
- 25.09.2005 (tävling)
- 22.10.2005 (tävling)
- 23.10.2005 (tävling)
- 13.11.2005 (tävling)
- 20.02.2006 (träning)
- 04.03.2006 (tävling)
- 02.05.2006 (träning)
- 27.05.2006 (tävling)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
He competes like every month! Kenta is good but he's not beating Siders anytime soon.
SlackJaw Fagets

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »
He competes like every month! Kenta is good but he's not beating Siders anytime soon.

Well...

Kenta is clean. I feel very confident of that. It's good to now that a world champ in the biggest federation and the heaviest weightclass actually can be drugfree.

Anyone who's seen his drug test record know that Kenta is tested very often.

As far as Siders goes... I saw that his numbers were down in the squat and the deadlift.

But I consider him to be the best powerlifter in the world right now, regardless organisation.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Steve Denison

• Getbig II
  • Stay Strong!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
Competing in the IPF is no different than competing in the Olympics. Athletes will always try to find an edge. That's the nature of the game especially for the Olympics where big time money sponsorship is involved. But then again getting popped will cause an athlete to lose all that sponsorship $. Its a big risk but some athletes find that its a worthwhile risk to take for the $. Drugs have been part of sports for a long time. Officials are doing their best to clean it up, but there is a certain element in some elite circles that causes these athletes to want to go beyond their genetic ability and stretch the limits with any means possible to reach new heights and goals. Their mindset is all about winning at all costs and it ends up taking many athletes to the top and dropping them like a rock to the bottom.
S

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »
taking many athletes to the top and dropping them like a rock to the bottom.

Maybe in the Olympics but not in the Powerlifting world. Look at Oleksandr Kutcher @165 he was awesome at
IPF Worlds until he got suspended and went to WPO. He just won the lightweight division with a 2171 total!

That's bad for IPF business. These top guys aren't going to stop lifting, they're just going to move on.
SlackJaw Fagets

Steve Denison

• Getbig II
  • Stay Strong!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:30:33 AM »
I agree that there is an alternative to the IPF unlike the Olympics. As for Kutcher, he had to change his training to accommodate the monolift and multi-ply gear unlike traditional PL with walk out squats and single ply gear that he was used to in the IPF. It would be nice to see him come over to the USPF and compete in the Mountaineer Cup in Vegas in 2007. I will see what I can do to get him to come over since Nick Busick and myself will be running the Cup and USPF Nationals together in Aug 2007. I was just over in Ukraine in July and met Sergiy Naleykin-82.5K IPF Champ. His father is Victor Naleykin and he competed in the Cup about 3 or 4 years ago. I also met Oleksiy (Alex) Solovyov-100K champ and Vasily Varystuk-Strongman competitor and Champ. Great bunch of lifters that trained in an old gym in Kiev.
S

ARTI

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »
Yes, It would be cool to have Kutcher lift USPF. I'd love to see the federation make a come back.
No one likes to cheat and be on at a USAPL meet even if the top guys are on. McCase says he'll be running
3 meets in PA (where I live) next year. With the majority of USPF members in CA & WV this will be good to
expand and try to take over PA.
SlackJaw Fagets

Steve Denison

• Getbig II
  • Stay Strong!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 09:27:09 AM »
Calif definitely has the most USPF members. We have more USPF members in Calif than all the other states combined. Probably because I run 6 meets a year and I have 3 other meet directors running 4 other meets in San Jose, LA, and San Diego. The USPF pretty much dominates in Calif. It always takes the energy of a couple of people to make things run well and I'm lucky to have a great support system out here along with some great loyal lifters.

But the USPF is also strong in Utah, Texas, Georgia, Rhode Island as well as West Virginia where Matt is running meets in Ohio, PA, and Maryland and of course in his home state of WV. Matt has alot of energy and thats what it takes. It took me 6 years to get where I'm at with my meet promotions in Calif and Matt will get there eventually if he keeps plugging away.
S