Author Topic: Update on shortened routine...  (Read 1028 times)

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
Update on shortened routine...
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »
...its been 2 months since i switched to the abbreviated routine, my reasons for cutting back on gym time were explained in a previous thread.

The routine consisted of:

Benchpress
Chins
Dips
Barbell Rows
Squats

Performed in that order twice a week, one session was light and one session was heavy.

Results: ....not much actually, weight has stayed the same, size and strength have stayed the same....i look and lift the same as when i was training 4 times a week and hitting each bodypart with many sets and exercises....from a bodybuilding perspective you would have to deem it a failure.

.....however, i only go to the gym twice a week now giving me my evenings back...my social life is much better for it, my joints dont ache like they used to...only training twice a week has given my body a break and i feel better for it....taking these two points into account it has been a success.

The main thing is i enjoy the two sessions now and look forward to going to the gym...something that had been lacking for over a year previously....with only 8 weeks gone its probably too soon to see whether i will ultimately lose or gain (physically) training this way.

Having used steroids in the past i have a cycle packed away ready to dust of and get on in october.....gives me a couple of more months on this routine first and then i'll post the results once gear has been introduced.
C.U.N.T

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Update on shortened routine...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:08:22 AM »
Nice post.

Good to see so many positive things resulting from your switch. If you like, alternating between two workouts (still full body) will allow for even more variety, both mentally and physically.

Here's my suggestion:

Workout 1
Benchpress
Chins
Dips
Barbell Rows
Squats

Workout 2
DB Seated Shoulder presses
Close Grip Pulldowns
Hack Squats
Close Grip Benchpress (Shoulder width)
Deadlifts

Good luck mang.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:34:09 AM »
Shorter workouts, for the most part, can be ideal for most, even advanced men. Probably a good idea is to start with the larger muscle groups. That seems to be the general rule of thumb for those kinds of full body workouts and for good reason. More effort with heavier compound movements, when the body is fresh for a training session. Changing the exercises each workout may work for some, so feel free to experiment for yourself.  But sticking to one set of exercises, every workout for that training cycle, sets a pattern of increased strength and size for those exercises. Giving a steady rate of improvement.

Might try this order of movements if you are still going to use your original exercises:

Squat
BB row
chin
BP
dips

Don't know how many sets or reps your doing but I might suggest three for the squat's and the other ones, just two sets each. Abbreviated systems (must be a dozen or more out there) are meant for compound exercises with  fewer sets. Usually done two to three time a week. Good Luck.

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »
you're overtraining.  once a week each part, high intensity.  it's that simple.
two thumbs WAY up!!!

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 08:48:14 AM »
you're overtraining.  once a week each part, high intensity.  it's that simple.

Did it that way for years, worked pretty good too but looking for a change now.
C.U.N.T