Author Topic: deadlift...the first rep  (Read 1824 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
deadlift...the first rep
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:12:27 PM »
when i deadlift, for some reason the first rep is hard as hell to get off the floor but then i will be able to crank out another 7 or 8 reps easy.
I set the bar down between each rep so i dont see why rep two is easier than number 1, shouldnt it be harder?
im thinking it has to be something wrong with my form on that first rep...maybe on rep number two and so on i am just in a better position to lift the weight

any thoughts on why this may be? how do i correct it?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: deadlift...the first rep
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:06:24 AM »
just conditioning or getting your back into its groove. i sometimes feel the same. same as my first rep and first set of almost anything is the toughest. also im guessing after the first rep your body is more tenmse and in an advantageous position.

im a nobody just what i think

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
Maybe your not doing enought warm-up's before approaching your regular workout set. A flexability problem could also arise from that. A Cuban friend of mine say's that the first rep should be as smooth as butter. I would have to agree with him. If your lifting cold than that first rep, that is a struggle, could cause more harm in the long run. Good Luck.   

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:19:25 PM »
Maybe your not doing enought warm-up's before approaching your regular workout set. A flexability problem could also arise from that. A Cuban friend of mine say's that the first rep should be as smooth as butter. I would have to agree with him. If your lifting cold than that first rep, that is a struggle, could cause more harm in the long run. Good Luck.   
I agree.
bodybuildersreality.com

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 06:28:56 PM »
ive only been deadlifting for about two months...i dont know if that helps

i think i will try doing a few more warm up sets

the main reason that i want to know if theres anytihng that i can do to fix this is because i was planning on maxing out sometime in the next week or two and my single probably wont be much higher that what i am repping because of this problem.

back days friday...i'll see if the warm up thing helps

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »
just conditioning or getting your back into its groove. i sometimes feel the same. same as my first rep and first set of almost anything is the toughest. also im guessing after the first rep your body is more tenmse and in an advantageous position.

im a nobody just what i think

Do you have self esteem issues?
P

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »
that's completely natural.  same for me and almost everyone. 
two thumbs WAY up!!!

cornebb

• Getbig II
  • squat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 02:45:25 AM »
its called momentum
:D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 12:09:07 PM »
Do you have self esteem issues?

lol no im just sayin ive nbo sports qualifications or nething nor do i compete. lol

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
well today was back day and i added two extra warm up sets before i started deadlifts. 

i guess ima have to wait till next week to see if it helped because i was really tired today and didnt get to put all my energy into lifting. the deadlifts didnt seem any easier but maybe the warm ups did help and the only reason they seemed hard is because i was so tired.

the rest of my back workout was really good though... i lowered the weight on pulldowns and made my lats do all the work, my back felt really good.   

Then i did a hammer strength "low row" and did that for a few sets.  Has anyone else used this machine before???? Did u like it????

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 06:33:50 PM »
It's a central nervous system issue. Haven't you notice that your second heavy set feels easier and smother than the first set.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
hmm, I've never noticed this.

I usually just do 3 sets, two warmups and then 1 real set. 1st rep is always the easiest, but unlike some people I always re-set each rep, meaning I let the weight come to a full stop on the floor and then begin the lift again.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 11:05:47 PM »
If you reset the lift it will be as hard (if not harder) every time.

I don't have the scientific explanation for you but its like this, once the muscles are under tension and the nervous system has adapted to the load its not too hard to concentrate on the lift. 

If you reset in ANY exercise the effect will be the same.  Imagine reseting on weighted dips :) I hate the first rep on a heavy weighted dip (I do have a chest injury though so it always feels like I'm risking further injury on that first rep).

Its not really common to reset in anything other than deadlift.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »
its called momentum
there's no such thing... it's all inertia...