Author Topic: loosing the drive.....  (Read 1836 times)

TNTBOOM

• Getbig III
  • die or diet
loosing the drive.....
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:27:05 AM »
Have you ever gone thru a face where you dont feel like working out?
i've been working out for 5 years religiously and this week i cant seem to get to the GYM
i feel tired all the time and i just want to laid down and chill...
i feel fat and soft....
had this happen to anybody else?
im taking this week off and see what happens tomorrow

....just venting
 :-\

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: loosing the drive.....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:40:16 AM »
There is an old saying...

STFU and LIFT!!!

how bad do you want it? willpower and determination come in to play at this point.

take a week off lifting and just relax and do whatever you please. come back after that week off and you will be ready to destroy some weights. if not just give up, maybe this isn't for you?

8)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:11:21 AM »
i've been working out for 5 years religiously and this week i cant seem to get to the GYM
i feel fat and soft....

....just venting

I suggest taking 10 days off.

Then get back to training, but only train every other day. And don't let yourself stay in the gym longer than 40 minutes, get in, workout, get out.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:31:46 AM »
Agree with above-take 1-2 weeks off to recharge the central nervous system, then come back with a good but moderate schedule-intense but relative short workouts.

If that doesn't help then take a break from lifting altogether and find other more enjoyable physical activities until the desire to lift returns.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »
i feel fat and soft....

....just venting

Yes, it happened to me with both running and lifting.

I am a distance runner---One year I was in a 10 mile race (with 8 miles to go) and it suddenly occurred to me I just didn't feel like running anymore--NOT GOOD!!! I started to force myself to run to THAT tree, or pass THAT person, and with crowd suport --got through it--- I took 1 week off and wrote a list of why I loved running-- in another week, I really wanted to be out there again.

Same thing happened with lifting--I push myself really hard working out and have a hectic job schedule. One day I was really stressed from all of the above and started having CNS reactions, like rapid HR and breathing with some loss of strength, etc.  A friend of mine who is a (good) trainer --literally dragged me out of the gym and said to stay out for 1 week. I listened and stopped all exercise for a full 7 days--cold turkey. LOL.  The following week, I came back really strong-- much stronger than before actually, and very refreshed.

It reminded me I need to really listen to my body and build in those REAL rest days.
Taking that week off or even more will really help you --- and it won't cost you in strength if you were working out religiously before. Enjoy your time off--do something fun--then refocus and get back in the gym when you are ready. You might also want to ease back into the routine or add something else like spinning or whatever to the mix so it isn't the same old same old--

Take care and good luck!

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 10:56:04 PM »
take some time off...switch the time of day you lift if possible
new atmosphere, new people

i've been lifting for 15 years and been through many phases like your's.
a week or two off will have very little effect of your muscle mass.
you have to take small breaks every so often.  believe it. 

buy some new gym shoes or clothes...sounds strange but it works.
two thumbs WAY up!!!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:20:14 AM »
Yeah, I get that sometimes. Lose focus, eat junk, skip an exercise or two because I feel it won't make a difference and "why am I here?"

Comes and goes, but it seems like you genuinely enjoy working out, or at least have some goals, and that's something to stick to if it's important to you. Just do what you feel is the best way to get you back on track.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 07:26:50 AM »
Same thing applies when you have a cold, are sick or are too sore-a few days off makes *no* difference physically, generally helps IMO.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
Its good to take time off once every 4-6 months a week no more.  Ive seen guy say they want to take some time off then they just dont go in.  They get home from work eat junk thats it.  Don't let yourself fall into the trap.  If you workout after work ( i do mostly)  bring your work out stuff with you, dont go home first.  How long has it been since your last week off?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »
Its normal for anybody to start to burn out a little. but training hard like that isn't for you if you easily won't come back. you should have no problem taking some time off and then coming back full force.
bodybuildersreality.com

Taylor

• Getbig II
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 05:29:20 PM »
Go to a new gym . Try a I pod or a disk man.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 06:17:53 PM »

Yes, it happened to me with both running and lifting.

I am a distance runner---One year I was in a 10 mile race (with 8 miles to go) and it suddenly occurred to me I just didn't feel like running anymore--NOT GOOD!!! I started to force myself to run to THAT tree, or pass THAT person, and with crowd suport --got through it--- I took 1 week off and wrote a list of why I loved running-- in another week, I really wanted to be out there again.

Same thing happened with lifting--I push myself really hard working out and have a hectic job schedule. One day I was really stressed from all of the above and started having CNS reactions, like rapid HR and breathing with some loss of strength, etc.  A friend of mine who is a (good) trainer --literally dragged me out of the gym and said to stay out for 1 week. I listened and stopped all exercise for a full 7 days--cold turkey. LOL.  The following week, I came back really strong-- much stronger than before actually, and very refreshed.

It reminded me I need to really listen to my body and build in those REAL rest days.
Taking that week off or even more will really help you --- and it won't cost you in strength if you were working out religiously before. Enjoy your time off--do something fun--then refocus and get back in the gym when you are ready. You might also want to ease back into the routine or add something else like spinning or whatever to the mix so it isn't the same old same old--

Take care and good luck!

post pics please
its comin today

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »
Go to a new gym . Try a I pod or a disk man.

Yeah, even buying new gym clothes, wrist straps just keep it fresh. Also try finding a workout partner.
P

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
stop melting down

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »
Yeah, keeping things fresh does help.

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 07:44:25 PM »
add something different to your workout - pilates, yoga, cardio boxing, etc.....

or just take 1-2 weeks off  ;D
RIP Bob Probert