Author Topic: Ricky Williams to return to Canada  (Read 6687 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Ricky Williams to return to Canada
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
Despite a rocky start to his Canadian Football League career, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he's open to returning to the Toronto Argonuats when his NFL playing days are done. "I was thinking it wouldn't be bad to come back up here and kind of follow the same steps as (Argonauts coach Michael "Pinball" Clemons), play here a couple years and maybe get a chance to coach up here," Williams told The National Post on Wednesday. "Because I really like Toronto, I really like this organization. You can live here, you know? You feel like you have a life.

Williams broke his left arm July 22 during a game against Saskatchewan, then two weeks later, he needed more than a dozen stitches to close a gash on one of his feet after a metal door closed on his shoeless foot. In order to prevent infection in the wound, which was near the Achilles' tendon, Williams spent several hours inside a hyperbaric chamber.

Williams is no longer wearing a cast or walking with a limp. He is expected to return to the Argos around Sept. 23.

Williams has two years remaining on his contract with the Dolphins. Argonauts President Keith Pelley said he would like to see Williams return at some point.

"Ricky is special," Pelley said. "He's a fantastic person with great morals and values. Loves Toronto, loves the Canadian Football League, loves the coach. After his NFL career is over, we would of course entertain (the idea) of him coming back."

"You realize there's good football in places other than the NFL," said Williams. "The guys here, they don't get as much recognition but they're just as good football players. They make things exciting when they touch the ball and it's a joy to watch."

Something he'll be doing a lot of in the coming months.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: Ricky Williams to return to Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:02:53 PM »
Despite a rocky start to his Canadian Football League career, Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said he's open to returning to the Toronto Argonuats when his NFL playing days are done. "I was thinking it wouldn't be bad to come back up here and kind of follow the same steps as (Argonauts coach Michael "Pinball" Clemons), play here a couple years and maybe get a chance to coach up here," Williams told The National Post on Wednesday. "Because I really like Toronto, I really like this organization. You can live here, you know? You feel like you have a life.

Williams broke his left arm July 22 during a game against Saskatchewan, then two weeks later, he needed more than a dozen stitches to close a gash on one of his feet after a metal door closed on his shoeless foot. In order to prevent infection in the wound, which was near the Achilles' tendon, Williams spent several hours inside a hyperbaric chamber.

Williams is no longer wearing a cast or walking with a limp. He is expected to return to the Argos around Sept. 23.

Williams has two years remaining on his contract with the Dolphins. Argonauts President Keith Pelley said he would like to see Williams return at some point.

"Ricky is special," Pelley said. "He's a fantastic person with great morals and values. Loves Toronto, loves the Canadian Football League, loves the coach. After his NFL career is over, we would of course entertain (the idea) of him coming back."

"You realize there's good football in places other than the NFL," said Williams. "The guys here, they don't get as much recognition but they're just as good football players. They make things exciting when they touch the ball and it's a joy to watch."

Something he'll be doing a lot of in the coming months.

right there is where someone loses crediability, ricky is a douchbag and irresponsible as a parent and as a man.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:16:11 PM »
right there is where someone loses crediability, ricky is a douchbag and irresponsible as a parent and as a man.

That about sums it up. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 05:37:53 AM »
He can return to the CFL now because his NFL career is already over.
The House that Ruth built

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:16:18 AM »
The lesson here, kids, is that the CFL is where you go when your career in the NFL is over.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:47:39 AM »
The lesson here, kids, is that the CFL is where you go when your career in the NFL is over.

opps I have one name for you Warren Moon hall of fame QB, started there and then came to the NFL.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 08:07:29 AM »
Lol, isn't medical mariajuana free in Canada?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 08:57:01 AM »
I have one name for you Warren Moon hall of fame QB, started there and then came to the NFL.
Theisman, Ferragamo, Terry Metcalf, Mack Herron, Vernon Perry & Mervin Fernandez, for any number of reasons.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:02:01 AM »
Theisman, Ferragamo & Terry Metcalf as well.

I try not to think about Theisman since he was a redskin and they can all die, but forgot about vince with the rams for a couple of years was pretty good, 1979 super bowl QB if memory serves.For Many years in the late 60's and 70 and into the 80's the stupid old school owners thought you needed a white QB so allot of good college QB's had to go up north to keep playing.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »
For Many years in the late 60's and 70 and into the 80's the stupid old school owners thought you needed a white QB so allot of good college QB's had to go up north to keep playing

This is what I've tried to explain to those on getbig with facile understandings of football-the NFL for the most part is as conventional in their thinking as they are, and wouldn't allow guys to play who didn't fit the requisite combine profiles.

Those preconceptions involved variables like height, race and the ability to scramble: Flutie, Marcus Allen's brother Damon and Tracy Ham were examples.  The NFL thinking has only really changed in the last 10 years as the league continued to alter the rules to encourage passing.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
This is what I've tried to explain to those on getbig with facile understandings of football-the NFL for the most part is as conventional in their thinking as they are, and wouldn't allow guys to play who didn't fit their combine profiles. Those preconceptions involved variables like height, race and the ability to scramble: Flutie, Marcus Allen's brother Damon and Tracy Ham were examples. 

thats very true, if you do not fit the mold of what somebody has written for the position you do not get a chance in the NFL. It almost takes a accident for people to change there preceptions of what can be done. You see somebody get thrown into the action because of a injury and they do well and everybody goes well I guess you do not have to be 6-5 240 to play QB...bunch of sheep really.

Side note do you have any idea what happened to Major Applewhite the QB that used to play for TX then went undrafted and think plays up north?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 09:14:47 AM »

Side note do you have any idea what happened to Major Applewhite the QB that used to play for TX then went undrafted and think plays up north?

Major backed up Phil Simms kid didn't he?
The House that Ruth built

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 09:27:54 AM »
Major backed up Phil Simms kid didn't he?

no he started ahead of simms much of the time, simms used to be though of as a potential bust because he could not win the big game.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »
opps I have one name for you Warren Moon hall of fame QB, started there and then came to the NFL.

Exactly. He left the CFL and went to the NFL.

He moved UP to a higher level.  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:57:31 AM »
Exactly. He left the CFL and went to the NFL.

He moved UP to a higher level.
What's even funnier is that this w8tlftr's Asian yet apparently is oblivious to the racism that was/is practiced by the NFL.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
What's even funnier is that this w8tlftr's Asian yet apparently is oblivious to the racism that was/is practiced by the NFL.

So being Asian should give him some unique perspective on racism in the NFL?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 12:11:45 PM »

wow thats a really good point.rebuttle?

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 12:31:42 PM »

It would seem so.  ::)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »
It would seem so.  ::)

Hey does that mean you will like the EAGLES now because we have timmy chang as backup QB... ;D

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »
Hey does that mean you will like the EAGLES now because we have timmy chang as backup QB... ;D

Sorry. I'm only 1/2 asian.  :P

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 12:54:31 PM »

whats the other half?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 12:57:47 PM »

I think Timmy is half Asian too.   ;D  Besides, he'll likely be the QB4 and on the practice squad.   :'(

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
whats the other half?

round eye.  ;D

but it's more fun to tell the racist haters on getbig that they're getting owned by an asian. ;D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 01:15:50 PM »
round eye.  ;D

do you ever find yourself mad at yourself when half the time you can't drive well.. ;D

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 01:17:14 PM »
do you ever find yourself mad at yourself when half the time you can't drive well.. ;D

No. I drive with one eye closed.

Asshole.  :)