Author Topic: would this be considered two sets or one?  (Read 1885 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
would this be considered two sets or one?
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:32:20 AM »
friday brought up the question of what's a rep and what's a set.

when benching i had hit 365 for 8 reps but was shooting for 10 total...so KNOWING i wasn't able to hit it again without a pause, i RERACKED for 12 seconds (yes i counted), brought it back down and got my other two.  BECAUSE of the rerack does that not count as a total set or should it be considered as two because of it? I've seen bodybuilders pause at the bottom for awhile before finishing a set with a certain weight but since i don't go down deep enough to hit my chest the only place to have a slight pause was at the top...

so enlighten me...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: would this be considered two sets or one?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:38:59 AM »
IMO this is one "rest/pause" set

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:18:17 AM »
In my view there are no absolutes when describing a working set. There can be a point when a rest/pause between reps can morph into a complete set it's self. The rest/pause can be anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds in it's original BB'ing concept. Quite a few of the old school type BB'ing programs (high volume) have rest periods between set's of 30 to 45 seconds. Some extreme sets were 10-15 seconds between sets. Is that a set or a rest/pause? I don't know. Sets anyway are just breaks in an exercise before reaching a certain amount of reps for a targeted muscle group. If one is doing a 100 reps as a goal than the sets (breaks) can be 10X10's, 5X20, etc. Or if a goal of 30 reps is the case, than 6X5, 3X10, etc. As far as I know, there as not set rule as to what is proper rest set between exercises is. It's all subjective to the person doing the workout it's self.

When I was doing heavy breathing squats of 20 rep, it might have taken me 2 to 3 minutes to finish one set. Three breaths between reps at the start of the set and maybe 6-8 breaths between reps near the finish of the set. Would that have been one set of 20 reps, 20 sets of one rep or one set of rest/pause reps until I reached the goal of 20 reps? Again, there are no absolutes when reps making up a set are concerned. It depends on the of the person doing the workout and their view and goals. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 10:23:01 AM »
i viewed it as in relation to how many times i moved that particular weight as a set...but people disagreed.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »
I say its one set.
bodybuildersreality.com

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:05:31 AM »
TexR: In the long run it's doesn't make that much difference what you call it. One set or rest/pause. If It's cool with you, that's all that matters. Good Luck.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »
either way i dont think it matters, you got your 10 thats all that counts, but IMO because of the rerack i think its two sets. If you would have paused and held it at the top then it would still be one set.
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »
If i was setting out to do 4 sets of flat bench and on my 3rd i got 8, then racked it and pushed out 2 more, i wouldnt count those 2 more reps as my final set. that just doesn't make sense.
bodybuildersreality.com

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »
either way i dont think it matters, you got your 10 thats all that counts, but IMO because of the rerack i think its two sets. If you would have paused and held it at the top then it would still be one set.

I agree.  I'd go ahead and call it one set of 8 and one set of 2.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:53 PM »
one set-

AVBG

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
one set - rest pause.