Author Topic: proper benching warmup  (Read 3529 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
proper benching warmup
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:46:46 AM »
especially from you powerlifting guys..but sense everyone does it.

This is the second time in a span of 6 months that iv'e had a dull pain in one of my shoulders after a big benching session. first it was the left..now it's the right...so i'm taking the week off. I stretch, rotate my shoulders, you name it before, during, and after each set. my grip is right on and my technique is damn good.

the benching session went like this.

135x20x1(warmup), 225x15x1,315x10x1,365x10x1,400x3x1 and it was that last set of really hard pushing that I sat up and felt it.  The set wasn't TOO difficult and i maintained good form.  Could it be that the joint just wasn't used to that kinda weight yet? I have never done anything beyond a single above 400 and hit three without much of a struggle. Can your muscles strength outgrow that of your joints that fast? I'm not currently using but am fixing to start another cycle but want to be fully recouped before i take that first plunge *pun intended*

suggestions?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: proper benching warmup
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »
Don't bench with your shoulders genius. Keep shoulders back and chest up and out. Control the weight.
just push some weight!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »
please tell me you are aware that your shoulders are involved in benching no matter your hand placement, bodyplacement, etc....

or are you just that much of a dumbass?  ??? that's like telling me to take my bi's out of my back work...um...i don't think you can actually do that...
and when you roll your shoulders back it opens up your joints anyway in "proper" techinque...all teh rolling of hte shoulders does is expand the chest and pinch your shoulder blades around your spine to protect and support it when holding yourself beneath alot of weight..i'ts just like learning to take a fall in judo and slapping the matt..the slap takes some of the fall AND pinches your shoulder blades together JUST LIKE BENCHING to support your spine.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 08:20:18 AM »
please tell me you are aware that your shoulders are involved in benching no matter your hand placement, bodyplacement, etc....

or are you just that much of a dumbass?  ??? that's like telling me to take my bi's out of my back work...um...i don't think you can actually do that...
and when you roll your shoulders back it opens up your joints anyway in "proper" techinque...all teh rolling of hte shoulders does is expand the chest and pinch your shoulder blades around your spine to protect and support it when holding yourself beneath alot of weight..i'ts just like learning to take a fall in judo and slapping the matt..the slap takes some of the fall AND pinches your shoulder blades together JUST LIKE BENCHING to support your spine.

Your crappy form and execution is the problem.
just push some weight!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »
and you came to that conclusion from what in my posts?  ???

Mick33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:36:34 AM »

Not that this guy needs it, but I have seen your pics Al. and there is no way your little ass could even support 315 for 1. Don't try to rebut either, you are a waste of time and energy on this post, just thought I might help disillusion your skinny little 180 lb. ass. I am also in the same fix Tex.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 08:56:42 AM »
I have done 315 pounds for reps.
just push some weight!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 09:05:06 AM »
still not impressed....neither with your knowledge base OR your physique and strength claims presented all over this piss hole.  i'm starting to give candidate more consideration in his posts than yours...

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 09:07:17 AM »
TexasCrush! If you wouldn't be reminding us of your amazing lifts then I would of never guessed you been in the gym for more than 2 weeks. I am natural and will crush all of your lifts very soon.
just push some weight!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 09:14:19 AM »
 ::)

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »
Are you sure it was from benchpressing? And are you sure it's your joint.

With a proper technique the first thing that's gonna be damaged are the muscle (tear, snap) ligament or tendon. Rarely the bone.

It could be as "simple" as an infection, cause yes, ligament en tendons do not grow as fast as muscles.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 10:14:31 AM »
I just got a pm stating that my heavy flys and pec dec movements could be the problem instead of the benching.  :-\ which i could see that doing it more so than the benching myself.  i'm not shooting as of now so infection i'm not sure of..there's not redness, swelling, stiffness, fever, etc. associated with an infection..so i'm thinking from the dull pain that only occurs when I rotate my shoulder forward that it's a rotator cuff problem. MAYBE...but i'm told that there are certain exercises you can do prior to benching or chest work that get your shoulder girdle ready for working. It seems that just stretching and doing very light warm up sets aren't the answer...that i've gotta do something specifically for my shoulders.

what do the pl guys do before they go to meets?  ???

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 04:41:02 PM »
I'm a strong believer in hardly no warm-ups when it comes to benching,don't wear yourself out with stupid light weights,slap some fuckin chalk on  hands and face and get mad at the weight,take charge of the weight,don't let it beat you.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
I have done 315 pounds for reps.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... AS IF LOSER

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »
especially from you powerlifting guys..but sense everyone does it.

This is the second time in a span of 6 months that iv'e had a dull pain in one of my shoulders after a big benching session. first it was the left..now it's the right...so i'm taking the week off. I stretch, rotate my shoulders, you name it before, during, and after each set. my grip is right on and my technique is damn good.

the benching session went like this.

135x20x1(warmup), 225x15x1,315x10x1,365x10x1,400x3x1 and it was that last set of really hard pushing that I sat up and felt it.  The set wasn't TOO difficult and i maintained good form.  Could it be that the joint just wasn't used to that kinda weight yet? I have never done anything beyond a single above 400 and hit three without much of a struggle. Can your muscles strength outgrow that of your joints that fast? I'm not currently using but am fixing to start another cycle but want to be fully recouped before i take that first plunge *pun intended*

suggestions?

IMO, you're rep ranges are off in order to be conditioned for those kind of lifts.  15-20 and even 10's don't condition you for the lower and heavier rep schemes.  Something like 50% 65% 75% 85% might work better for awhile (once your shoulder is back 100%).
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »
I'm a strong believer in hardly no warm-ups when it comes to benching,don't wear yourself out with stupid light weights,slap some fuckin chalk on  hands and face and get mad at the weight,take charge of the weight,don't let it beat you.

Good recipe for injury.
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 02:00:19 AM »
Good recipe for injury.

it's a product of stupidity Prin....   anyway the best warm up.... wait i need a bigger font...

the best warm up for any type of exercise is simple.... ride the bike or hop on an elliptical for 5-10 minutes going at a moderate pace.... this will heat up your muscles and body and loosen up the joint as well as fill them with blood... i equate it to a boxer getting a sweat going before a fight

i hope that got through some of the thick skulls out there.... well i know alexxx won't understand... but that's just the product of serious inbreeding....

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 09:14:26 AM »

That's a recipe for a torn pec. What would you know with your monster bench of 115 for 3.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 09:15:51 AM »
it's a product of stupidity Prin....   anyway the best warm up.... wait i need a bigger font...

the best warm up for any type of exercise is simple.... ride the bike or hop on an elliptical for 5-10 minutes going at a moderate pace.... this will heat up your muscles and body and loosen up the joint as well as fill them with blood... i equate it to a boxer getting a sweat going before a fight

i hope that got through some of the thick skulls out there.... well i know alexxx won't understand... but that's just the product of serious inbreeding....

Why is you mother also your grandmother?
just push some weight!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 10:22:16 AM »
Why is you mother also your grandmother?

why is your pet goat also your father....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
-Warm up of the specific area to be exercised by bike riding..are you kidding me? This is the kind of bad advice that floats around the net. There has also to be something more specific to the area being exercised-anyone who doesn't mention this has essentially been lucky so far and doesn't get it. 2-3 sets going from fairly light to moderate, doing slow windmills with the arms in each direction, between each set. Suggesting bike riding or no warmup is classic LAME internet advice that is good for getting someone nicely injured!

Can your muscles strength outgrow that of your joints that fast?
Yes, this is what's happening IMO. Since it's now happened to both shoulders you know that's it's systemic, not related to problems with any particular shoulder; a warning. Shoulder probs from bench are almost an automatic for many when going heavy with low reps. Low reps are absolutely unnecessary for development, are mainly ego. Keeping the reps in the 10-15 range, definitely no lower than 8; progress using moderate reps will translate into higher singles, without having to actually do them. Can always max. out going heavier every 3-6 months to gauge progress but don't make it a regular thing.

-It could be flys but i doubt it. BB bench is the no. 1 cause. Good idea taking time off; when back keep the reps higher. If that doesn't work, go instead with DB presses, flys, etc.-BB benches aren't essential IF the shoulder probs continue.

-"Alexxx" who from pics looks more like a swimmer, as always quick to jump in to offer his "years of experience".   ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
It may also be an issue of going too heavy,too often.

How often do you hit a triple or less on benches?

Gotta` have some lighter days, or sub in inclines as a replacement movement once in a while..........periodiza tion.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »
-Warm up of the specific area to be exercised by bike riding..are you kidding me? This is the kind of bad advice that floats around the net. There has also to be something more specific to the area being exercised-anyone who doesn't mention this has essentially been lucky so far and doesn't get it. 2-3 sets going from fairly light to moderate, doing slow windmills with the arms in each direction, between each set. Suggesting bike riding or no warmup is classic LAME internet advice that is good for getting someone nicely injured!
Yes, this is what's happening IMO. Since it's now happened to both shoulders you know that's it's systemic, not related to problems with any particular shoulder; a warning. Shoulder probs from bench are almost an automatic for many when going heavy with low reps. Low reps are absolutely unnecessary for development, are mainly ego. Keeping the reps in the 10-15 range, definitely no lower than 8; progress using moderate reps will translate into higher singles, without having to actually do them. Can always max. out going heavier every 3-6 months to gauge progress but don't make it a regular thing.

-It could be flys but i doubt it. BB bench is the no. 1 cause. Good idea taking time off; when back keep the reps higher. If that doesn't work, go instead with DB presses, flys, etc.-BB benches aren't essential IF the shoulder probs continue.

-"Alexxx" who from pics looks more like a swimmer, as always quick to jump in to offer his "years of experience".   ::)

Oh how wise you of pumping standarts are!
just push some weight!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »

hey smartass.... did i say you shouldn't do a few light sets?  NO.... i said that you should warm up the body first... christ you're arrogant for a old man....

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 03:00:26 PM »
I ALWAYS take my time warming up and yesterday i didnt' and paid the price...started with flat bench didn't warm up enough and now right where my chest connects to my shoulder it hurts (feels kinda like a bruise) hopefully goes away. I wont make that mistake again.
bodybuildersreality.com