Author Topic: Weight gainer V Whey shake  (Read 5917 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Weight gainer V Whey shake
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:07:02 AM »
Hey guys and gals.
I currently take 1 or 2 meal replecement shakes (kinda weight gainers) a day+ on gym days a whey shake after gym and b4 bed, for sum1 trying to put on weight do u think it would be better for me just to drop the whey shakes and take the meal replacement after gym and b4 bed aswell as couple through the day (i train early evening)??

My whey shake has  protein per shake 24.3g (1 scoop) while my weight gainer has 32.4grams protein (its 2 scoops tho)??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Weight gainer V Whey shake
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:21:51 AM »
ALSO:
The weight gainer scoops weigh 120g compared to whey protein shake s weighs 30g's. I know thats probs why theres more protein in the weight gainer and if i used equal weights id get more protein from the whey (97.2g's for 120g's of powder), but id go thru teh whey to quickly, so do u think i should continue using the weightgainer as i have been but also use it instead of the whey after gym and b4 bed??

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:37:25 AM »
Anyone??

davie

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:05:18 AM »
buy protein and add your own carbs. save a lot of money that way. gainers run out fast and cost a lot of money. it's just a bunch of junk carbs with some protein. yes they have more calories but that's because the servings are bigger and the tub runs out much faster.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 12:23:58 PM »
buy protein and add your own carbs. save a lot of money that way. gainers run out fast and cost a lot of money. it's just a bunch of junk carbs with some protein. yes they have more calories but that's because the servings are bigger and the tub runs out much faster.

The man's right.  Just buy some carb powder and controll the amount of calories in your shake.  50-50 post workout and lay off the carbs before bed.  Cheaper and better controll of your calories.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »
Well this shake is about 32.8 protein 62 carbs per shake. The thing is buying one tubb weight gainer and 1 tubb whey powder costs about the same each month as just getting 2 tubbs of weight gainer a month.
With that in mind which do u think i should do??

davie

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
Hey guys and gals.
I currently take 1 or 2 meal replecement shakes (kinda weight gainers) a day+ on gym days a whey shake after gym and b4 bed, for sum1 trying to put on weight do u think it would be better for me just to drop the whey shakes and take the meal replacement after gym and b4 bed aswell as couple through the day (i train early evening)??

My whey shake has  protein per shake 24.3g (1 scoop) while my weight gainer has 32.4grams protein (its 2 scoops tho)??

davie

It depends on how many calories you need. If your gainer is throwback one (from the 80s/early 90s), it's likely carb-heavy. If you need the extra calories, simply spike your gainer with a scoop of protein powder.

Based on the numbers you've provided, spiking your gainer would give you a drink with 57 grams of protein. As long as you're not adding a lot of blubber, you can consume three servings of "spiked" weight gainer a day (one after your workout).

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
I cant really afford at themo to buy 2 tubbs of gainer +tubbs of whey so i think il just get the gainer?!
So i should have one gainer shake during day sum time as a meal, one after training and one just as i go to bed??

Each shake will contain 62g's carbs and 32g's protien tho il; add coupe eggs/cottage cheese to shake and blend it to up the protein to about 45g's........That sound ok??

davie

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
sounds like too many carbs. yes weight gainers are expensive. if you want 45 or more grams of protein from the weight gainer it will be finished in no time. thermogenics aren't that good. if you drop your calories by 250 it'll be just as good. some of the stuff T A has been posting is pretty good. Not about the krispy kreme diet. about how much to eat. after you make your "virgin gains" the 20 or 30 pounds or whatever that you gain when you first start lifting the gains slow down. trying to feed the muslcle more and more won't help it grow just make you fat. if your lifts are increasing and your muscles are getting more dense and tape measurements going up then don't worry about your weight.

Exactly you should be on a 100% protein diet or else you will get fat and you won't gain muscle mass.    My diet consists of 10  chicken breast, 5 cans of tuna, and 3 protein shakes, and vitagro postworkout.

vitagro is key.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 04:32:39 AM »
OK i hear ya, but il be spending £40 on supps wether i get 1 gainer and 1 weigh, or just 2 gainers, a month.
Iv sometimes ahd probs getting in ewnough daily calories/meals. I wanna make sure im really forcing the food in and feeding the mjuscles, i have pretty fast metabolism and think i can handle the extra carbs that the gainers has+i think i need the extra protein the gainer has.
Im in gym 3 times a week +hav rugby 3 times a week (2 training sessions and a game), so im burning up a fair few calories+i hav pretty fast metabolism, so can u see y i think i can handle/need the extra carbs aswell as protein?!

Diet looks roughly like this.
1. cereal+4 egg ommelette (i know cereal aint great but iv always loved it).
2. gainer shake with added protein, fruit.
3. 2 baked potatoes with can of tuna.
4. cup of whole wheat pasta+ cans tuna.
GYM
5. gainer shake with added protein (45g's protein, 62g's carbs).
6. evening meal e.g. salmon and boiled potatoes adn veggies.
7. gainer shake with added protein.
BED

davie

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 01:56:50 PM »
how many calories is that?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
Exactly you should be on a 100% protein diet or else you will get fat and you won't gain muscle mass.    My diet consists of 10  chicken breast, 5 cans of tuna, and 3 protein shakes, and vitagro postworkout.

vitagro is key.

.....are you insane? or just kidding?   :-\

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 02:57:45 AM »
Haha actually i dont know the exact calories that is, i can work out the carb/protein numbers though.
Its....roughly 230 grams protein AND roughly 253 g's carbs but thats not including the one/two baked potatoes at lunch b/c i have no idea what the carbs numbers are in a baked potato?!

I weigh about 185 at 6'1/6'2.

I thought this would be ok?!

davie

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 03:27:37 AM »
you should know best. make sure you don't get too fat.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 04:15:38 AM »

vitagro is key.

what a tool.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 06:22:09 AM »
Do u really think that rough daily meal plan will lead to a great nicrease in excess fat (taking into acocunt im also training rugby wise 3 times a week including intense 80 minute game)????

davie

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:24:03 AM »
OK i hear ya, but il be spending £40 on supps wether i get 1 gainer and 1 weigh, or just 2 gainers, a month.
Iv sometimes ahd probs getting in ewnough daily calories/meals. I wanna make sure im really forcing the food in and feeding the mjuscles, i have pretty fast metabolism and think i can handle the extra carbs that the gainers has+i think i need the extra protein the gainer has.
Im in gym 3 times a week +hav rugby 3 times a week (2 training sessions and a game), so im burning up a fair few calories+i hav pretty fast metabolism, so can u see y i think i can handle/need the extra carbs aswell as protein?!

Diet looks roughly like this.
1. cereal+4 egg ommelette (i know cereal aint great but iv always loved it).
2. gainer shake with added protein, fruit.
3. 2 baked potatoes with can of tuna.
4. cup of whole wheat pasta+ cans tuna.
GYM
5. gainer shake with added protein (45g's protein, 62g's carbs).
6. evening meal e.g. salmon and boiled potatoes adn veggies.
7. gainer shake with added protein.
BED

davie

The diet looks good, if your not getting fat.  If you find the wast line getting bigger, lower the carbs before bed.  Otherwise you sound like you need that and more with the intense workout you do.  You're what 6'2"  @185.  Defiantly need more calories post workout.  IMO

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »
Well im just startinhg that diet so hopefull itl be ok,witht he position i pay i do alot of running in the game both in attack and defence.+our training sessions can be pretty intense with lots diamond runs/sprints/contact drills etc.

So  buffbodz u dont think thats enough calories post workout??

davie

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »
Also thought i should mention that on days im not in the gym but have rugby training im gonna take gainer as usual at meal 2+straight after training  (like i would after the gym), but not bother with a shake before bed.

davie

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »
Shit son, das a lotta weight gainer. Heres hopin you dont have a stroke.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 03:40:43 AM »
Shit son, das a lotta weight gainer. Heres hopin you dont have a stroke.

Good posts up until now, that made no sense?!

davie

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 09:55:22 AM »
Well im just startinhg that diet so hopefull itl be ok,witht he position i pay i do alot of running in the game both in attack and defence.+our training sessions can be pretty intense with lots diamond runs/sprints/contact drills etc.

So  buffbodz u dont think thats enough calories post workout??

davie

For your size, no.  If you were like 5'7" @ 185 that would be fine, but you have allot of frame to fill out.  Your activity level seems high, so you're probably burning off any excess calories, otherwise you'd get fat.  I'd up the post workout hour to the shake and a meal and if you have 3 hours in between that before bed, than to keep yourself in an anabolic state, a before bed shake, not weight gainer.  A mixed protein, whey, egg, casein should keep you from going into a catabolic state till morning.  Natural bodybuilders have a harder time keeping muscle than juicers, duh, and for all the reasons stated, if your not getting fat you'll only get more lean mass that we all strive for.  Nothing is set in stone.  Try my way for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't  go to building muscle, not fat.  You can always change back.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 02:19:40 AM »
Cheers buddy

davie

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:03 AM »
Save your money for a whey Isolate.

Make your own gainer with protein and maltodextrin http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=881 and that's it. Just watch out with sweetend protein,
sugar-tast and suger doesn't blend well. Use a banana or other fruit, try the skin of lemon/citron/orangejuice or make something up.

BTW,
my point of view is to get as many carbohydrates out of normal meals, and try to tend to keep the use of extra supps as low as possible.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »
I think most my carbs are from normal meals?!

Has been no too bad.

davie