Author Topic: Can't train this muscle...  (Read 5674 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Can't train this muscle...
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »
My front deltoids attach closer to my neck in the front taking a ton of the work off my chest and making it nearly impossible to train my upper chest.  Does anyone else have this problem?  What the hell can I do to train my upper chest without my front delts?

Mr. Intenseone

Re: Can't train this muscle...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »
What the hell can I do to train my upper chest without my front delts?

You can't..It's impossible!

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:21:25 AM »
Okay.. then what can I do to isolate my upper chest even with my front delts smart guy?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:55:50 AM »
Umm... Incline Bench Press  ???
S

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 07:08:36 AM »
You might try pec deck flys. On a pec deck that has the resistence on the point of the elbows, rather than on handles that you would grip with the hands. One of the main functions of the pecs is to crossover the arms in front of the body. With the resistence on the elbows, better leverage on the upper/lower pec's is produced. Keep the elbows a little higher than shoulder level throughout the exercise.

Can also try cable crossovers but keep a bend in the elbows, the closest to 90 dergrre as you can. Again keeping the elbows level or a little higher than the shoulders. Flat, incline or decline DB fly's are not that effected in building the pec's for a lot of the muscle tension is reduced  (or lost) when approaching the top half position.

I have a friend of mine (6'2...265lbs) with a hugh rib box and chest except that the upper pec's look flat as a pancake. Comes to the point that nothing seems to work on that area no matter what he try's. And he has the oppoutunity to workout at some top of the line hardcore BB'ing and lifting gyms around SoCal. Say's his father and brother have the same problem. His triceps and anterior delts are huge, moreso than a lot of Pro's but no upper pecs at all. Not saying this might be Brix Dog's problem but just as an example of how some genetics can really be a bitch for a few people. You usually can overcome a lot of bad genetics with a little planning, but sometime you have to deal with the cards your were delt. Good Luck.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »
Okay.. then what can I do to isolate my upper chest even with my front delts smart guy?

I wasn't trying to be smart, there is no way you can train upper chest (or any part of your chest) without your front delt coming into play....but, you can try an incline incline DB with a slight rotation at the top of the movement or you can do an incline fly/press, press the DB's then at the top of the movement turn your DB's inward and then do a fly, this is done in one movement and each fly/press counts as ONE rep.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 04:31:48 PM »
FIRST THING.....STOP WORKING OUT FRONT DELTS!!!!!!! THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE FOR GUYS LIKE YOU (AND ME) WHO FIND IT HARD TO ISOLATE CHEST FROM DELTS AND GET A GOOD PUMPED UP UPPER CHEST.    AFTER A WEEK OR TWO OF NOT WORKING OUT FRONT DELTS YOU WILL NOTICE THAT YOUR CHEST IS DOING A WHOLE LOT MORE WORK DURING PRESSES....BUT YOU STILL MIGHT HAVE ALOT OF DELT ACTION GOING ON. IN THIS CASE...I RECOMMEND PRE EXHAUSTING CHEST WITH A COUPLE SETS OF LIGHT WEIGHT HIGH REP FLY'S WHERE YOU REALLY FEEL THE CHEST CONTRACTING....THIS WILL SET YOU UP TO REALLY FRY THE CHEST DURING PRESSES.   

AS FOR UPPER CHEST.....INCLINE DUMBELL PRESSES EVERYWORKOUT....TONS OF SETS, REPS IN THE 6-8 REP RANGE..HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY.

AND STICK TO DUMBELLS....BARBELLS HAVE A TENDENCY TO STRESS THE DELTS AS WELL.

P.S...   I WOULD WRITE THIS DOWN..   BECAUSE ITS PRETTY MUCH THE BEST ADVICE YOU ARE EVER GOING TO GET.     ;D

d[-_-]b actin all cool

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 05:01:32 PM »
:

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »
Paul Chek is an intresting dude....master of biomechanics!

Unfortuantly he was asking how not to train the front delts while working upper chest!

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 06:06:49 PM »
Incline flys are good. try pre-exhausting your upper pecs by incline flys then incline BB press

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
Candidate what have I told you about giving advice?!!....you have the body of a severely obese middle aged woman.  Don't ever give advice to anyone again.

Thanks AVBG... actually sounds intelligent.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »
Candidate what have I told you about giving advice?!!....you have the body of a severely obese middle aged woman.  Don't ever give advice to anyone again.

okay......but i think everyone here knows that if we went in to your gym and watched you train tomorrow....youd be following my advice. hahaha. either that, or we would see you continuing to struggle to put mass on your paper thin upper chest.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 08:14:36 PM »
Why... because you know nothing about training anything evidenced by your grotesque physique.  Shall we go back to the pictures of your "mass."  HA HA.  Loser

AVBG

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »

You're welcome Brixtonbulldog..

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 05:11:03 AM »
Did you tried to sack the flat bench and try bench with a small degree, about 15.

A common problem with flat is that people tend to arch their lower back and make it a kind of decline press for the last reps.
Very interesting, but not very effective.

Or try to differ from week to week,
start one chest workout flat, and the other (normal degree) incline.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 07:56:14 AM »
Actually if a BB'er draws his knee's up over the body (most guy's will cross their ankles) when doing the BP (BB or DB), the back remains  flat on the bench. More stress on  the chest is allowed this way. Some guy's will draw up the knees when doing straight arm pullover for a better stretch. This takes the resistence from the ab 's out of the picture for that better full stretch.  The Pre-exhause system , suggested by AVBG, is a good idea but  you may get better results with the pec dec or even a set of cables are used rather that DB's.
Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 08:00:46 AM »
try adjusting the incline of the incline bench to take your delts out as much as possible...it's what i had to do... ` :-\

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 09:22:56 AM »
Incline flys are good. try pre-exhausting your upper pecs by incline flys then incline BB press

Yep.  Also finish off with flat bench neck presses.  Like a regular bench press but bring the bar slowly down to your neck, pause for a second or two, and press up.  Won't take much weight and will burn your upper pecs like crazy.  You'll want a spotter for sure on this one.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »
Guys, this is all great advice, but he will still be hitting his front delts reguardless of what he does!

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »
Guys, this is all great advice, but he will still be hitting his front delts reguardless of what he does!

Definitely true.  That's why I never do ANY specific front delt work, they're always gonna be sufficiently hit with chest training.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 10:15:17 AM »
Yep.  Also finish off with flat bench neck presses.  Like a regular bench press but bring the bar slowly down to your neck, pause for a second or two, and press up.  Won't take much weight and will burn your upper pecs like crazy.  You'll want a spotter for sure on this one.

Front neck press have with what kind of grip?  Incline or no incline?

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 10:18:21 AM »
Front neck press have with what kind of grip?  Incline or no incline?

Take a wide grip, and do them on a flat bench.  The pause at the bottom is what really make these a pain.  Have Fun  8)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 10:35:13 PM »
Why... because you know nothing about training anything evidenced by your grotesque physique.  Shall we go back to the pictures of your "mass."  HA HA.  Loser
You dumbass, thats EXACTLY what candidate's advice was for you. You thankless little punk. You come here looking for advice than you brush off people taking time out to give u advice. I really hope you apologise to the kid, who obviously has more BB knowledge than you do.  ::) All you fags putting candidate down should be utterly ashamed of yourselves.
follow the arrows

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2006, 03:35:25 AM »
You dumbass, thats EXACTLY what candidate's advice was for you. You thankless little punk. You come here looking for advice than you brush off people taking time out to give u advice. I really hope you apologise to the kid, who obviously has more BB knowledge than you do.  ::) All you fags putting candidate down should be utterly ashamed of yourselves.

Fuck you bitch.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2006, 07:04:33 AM »

hahahaha, have you seen his pics? I would take anything he says with a grain of salt.