Author Topic: Could doggcrapp buy Getbig?/Disappointed  (Read 81982 times)

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
Re: Could doggcrapp buy Getbig?
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »
I have to agree

they is no bashing at Mayhem but there isn't a lot of pros who go there expect for self-promoting
mayhem is one giant ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
you can here the fucking crickets when you log on

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
Re: Could doggcrapp buy Getbig?/Disappointed
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
Dante...Bodybuilding friends and fans is a Forum on here that Ron talked about openly on the radio show...So any pro listening to the show know about Bodybuilding friends and fans(forum)...Take a good look at that forum...Its heavily moderated and guess what...Not to many pros over there are their?...

But come over to the gossip section and their are many pros that come and go talking about anything they want...And they know about trolls ect....

It looks like to me that the pros have spoken and they themselves would rather be part of the least moderatered forum and take the trolls as they are...How else could you explain it???

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »
Dante...Bodybuilding friends and fans is a Forum on here that Ron talked about openly on the radio show...So any pro listening to the show know about Bodybuilding friends and fans(forum)...Take a good look at that forum...Its heavily moderated and guess what...Not to many pro over there are their...

But come over to the gossip section and their are many pros that come and go talking about anything they want...And they know about trolls ect....

It looks like to me that the pros have spoken and they themselves would rather be part of the least moderatered forum and take the trolls as they are...How else could you explain it???
EXACTLY!!! How come Dante and the pros are more active in this section, rather than the "Bodybuilding friends and fans" section? It's simple, everyone LOVES the drama!

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2006, 02:43:23 PM »
You're an idiot, Dante.  The draw is not and never was the "pros".  Although I have to say, you're not the first whiner to make this mistake. Since you incorrectly assume that the world revolves around IFBB pros, let me explain to you what the draw(s) here actually is:

The relative freedom of speech and lack of an agenda, commercial or otherwise, creates an environment where you're to hear the unvarnished truth about a situation, for better or worse.  As a result, industry insiders read this board (even if they don't post, or post anonymously), and because they're here, anything that is happening in the industry you're likely to hear about here first.  Like it or not, this board is the source for inside "scoop".

Of course, this comes with a price... the relative lack of moderation that allows this free exchange of ideas in a "no bullshit" manner also gives rise to trolls and stupidity. Of course, this can and does increase the entertainment value of the board, which creates a secondary draw of its own. Realistically, there's no way to eliminate trolls without creating a chilling effect on the open environment that makes Getbig what it is. The problem is, "where do you draw the line", and invariably mods will take it too far and ruin the board, as happened on Mayhem.

The best thing to do is mod very little, and delete only the 1% most stupid stuff, while being careful not to go too far. If you have too thin of a skin to deal with what's left, then you really don't belong here, Dante.

Hope this helps.

wow.  that says it all.  well put.
X

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2006, 02:46:33 PM »
You guys are making my argument for me.....people come here to see if the pro's posted, not to see a bunch of guys who worship a 177lb guy from north carolina named true adonis

The pro's posts tend to be boring. TA, whether you love him or hate him he is interesting.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2006, 02:50:49 PM »
TA has the long term memory of a scallop.

Or maybe a clam or a mussel?

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
EXACTLY!!! How come Dante and the pros are more active in this section, rather than the "Bodybuilding friends and fans" section? It's simple, everyone LOVES the drama!

you got it and i would be my house that one or two trolls on here are in fact pro bodybuilders....

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
Pro Bodybuilders can`t do much of anything functional.

Back in the old days they held jobs or aspired to own a gym or move on to better things.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:39 PM »
you got it and i would be my house that one or two trolls on here are in fact pro bodybuilders....
Yeah and another thing I find funny is hasn't Dante said he was leaving this place numerous times in the past? But he seems to know most of the characters on here as well as very specific things they posted in the past. He follows this place like a hawk.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
Back in the old days they held jobs or aspired to own a gym or move on to better things.

You're right... they all had jobs.  Being a "pro bodybuilder" was just their weekend gig.

These days, most pro bodybuilders (even those making zero money from the sport) refuse to hold any job that requires effort or doesn't involve anal lube.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2006, 03:29:21 PM »
You're right... they all had jobs.  Being a "pro bodybuilder" was just their weekend gig.

These days, most pro bodybuilders (even those making zero money from the sport) refuse to hold any job that requires effort or doesn't involve anal lube.

Why hate on Bruce Patterson? ;D

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »

If you are a pro bodybuilder today it must look bad to your peers if you have to hold down some kind of a real job.

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »
The Problem is this.

He really thinks that you are going to have to eat over 300 POUNDS of MEAT to gain 48 ounces of muscle.

That,my friends, is a an ineffecient energy equation.

Protein WILL NOT make Muscles bigger.

It is used for Cellular repair....Only small amounts are needed for that and to sustain.

SMALL AMOUNTS.

It is the LEAST important MacroNutrient.  Funny how all Nutritonists agree on this,but a lot of you do not want to listen.

ANyways.

300 plus pounds of beef,chicken add up....Combine that with Protein supplements and you are looking at over 5 grand for,hopefully 48 ounces of muscle.

WHAT A FUCKING INEFFECIENT WASTE!!!!!

5000 dollars wasted, for the quest of 48 ounces of muscle. What a fucking moron.

This guy has no idea about human nutrition.

As I don't have the time to read every post - I just have to ask: ARE YOU SERIOUS about this?
I mean about PROTEIN not making muscles bigger and being the LAST important macro nutrient?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »
As I don't have the time to read every post - I just have to ask: ARE YOU SERIOUS about this?
I mean about PROTEIN not making muscles bigger and being the LAST important macro nutrient?

Its a scientific fact genius.

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »

Oh shit Milos, it is going to take more than smoke and mirrors to cover that blunder.  In fact, its going to take some plain old fashioned backtracking.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2006, 04:20:19 PM »
Nope. Protein and fat are essential. Carbs are not needed through the diet for survival.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
If you are a pro bodybuilder today it must look bad to your peers if you have to hold down some kind of a real job.

Ronnie held down a real job the first few years he was Mr O, and he, unlike most of his peers, didn't even need to.
Ron: "I am lazy."

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #317 on: September 10, 2006, 04:21:29 PM »

Why don't you do some tricep kickbacks?

Is it true what I hear?  whenever you fart it smells like KY jelly?

Jezebelle

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #318 on: September 10, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
Nope. Protein and fat are essential. Carbs are not needed through the diet for survival.

Dumbass.

Rice is the only thing they give out in 3rd world countries.

Ethipoia alone is sustained on rice from the UN.
hahhahahhah
I Love The True Adon

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #319 on: September 10, 2006, 04:37:30 PM »

Than you certainly have enough scientific documentation to back all your "scientific" (read Mickey Mouse) facts...

You can start - anytime...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2006, 04:41:11 PM »
Than you certainly have enough scientific documentation to back all your "scientific" (read Mickey Mouse) facts...

You can start - anytime...

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 72, No. 2, 551S-557s, August 2000
© 2000 American Society for Clinical Nutrition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article

Protein supplements and exercise1,2,3,4
Robert R Wolfe
1 From the Shriners Burns Institute, Metabolism Unit, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston.

2 Presented at the workshop Role of Dietary Supplements for Physically Active People, held in Bethesda, MD, June 3–4, 1996.

3 Supported by grant 38010 from the National Institutes of Health.

4 Address reprint requests to RR Wolfe, Shriners Burns Institute, Metabolism Unit, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550.

ABSTRACT  
ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE FOR...
DIRECTIONS FOR FUTURE RESEARCH
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

Active persons ingest protein supplements primarily to promote muscle strength, function, and possibly size. Currently, it is not possible to form a consensus position regarding the benefit of protein or amino acid supplements in exercise training. Determination of whether supplements are beneficial has been hampered by the failure to select appropriate endpoints for evaluation of a positive effect. Furthermore, studies focused at a more basic level have failed to agree on the response of protein metabolism to exercise. An additional complication of dietary studies that is not often taken into account is amount of energy intake. Because of these and other complications, studies at the whole body level have not yielded a clear picture of the need for, or response to, dietary protein or amino acid supplements. Consequently, it is necessary to examine this issue at the tissue level. In untrained subjects, both muscle protein breakdown and synthesis are increased in response to exercise. Amino acid intake further stimulates muscle protein synthesis after exercise as a consequence of stimulating amino acid transport into the intramuscular compartment. The stimulatory effect of amino acids after exercise is greater than the effect of amino acids on muscle protein synthesis when given at rest. These data suggest that not only may the exact composition and amount of an amino acid supplement be important, but the timing of ingestion of the supplement in relation to the exercise must be considered in designing future studies to evaluate the efficacy of amino acid supplements.

Key Words: Nitrogen balance • amino acid transport • muscle protein synthesis • muscle protein breakdown • exercise • supplementation

INTRODUCTION  
ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

Physical performance depends on various muscle functions, including strength. Muscle protein synthesis and breakdown are central in determining both strength and overall function. Nonetheless, most research in the area of muscle function and exercise has focused on energy metabolism rather than the regulation of muscle protein metabolism. Basic questions remain unanswered regarding the mechanisms governing the response of muscle protein synthesis and breakdown to exercise, and the effect of exercise on protein requirements in humans is still controversial. Methodologic issues have limited the exploration of these and other issues regarding muscle protein kinetics because of the difficulty of quantifying muscle protein synthesis and breakdown in humans. In lieu of direct measurement of protein kinetics, the effect of protein intake on performance variables such as strength has been used to evaluate muscle metabolism. However, relying on a performance outcome that is potentially affected by several variables to assess the response to a particular perturbation (eg, protein intake) has numerous limitations. Consequently, whereas there appears to be no evidence that any particular protein supplement positively improves performance, this cannot be considered as proof that there is no supplement that might be useful. Therefore, this discussion provides a theoretical framework in which to assess the likelihood that protein or amino acid supplements might be useful for active persons.

SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE FOR SUPPLEMENTATION IN ACTIVE PERSONS  
ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

The reasons cited for using protein and amino acid supplements include stimulation and maintenance of muscle growth and strength, enhancement of energy utilization (eg, adding amino acids to a glucose supplement), and stimulation of the release of growth hormone. To evaluate the benefits of protein or amino acid supplements, one must consider many points. In an investigation of this issue by the Life Science Research Office (LSRO) of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, many problems were reported (1). Investigators found that labeling of protein supplements is often inadequate. They found limited data that documented the extent to which protein supplements are used and little information on safety, most of which was gathered in rats. The report noted that amino acid supplements are generally used for pharmacologic reasons. Investigators were also concerned about potentially deleterious side effects of protein or amino acid supplements and, in particular, felt that infants, children, elderly individuals, and persons with chronic disorders might be more susceptible to such effects. No firm data regarding the occurrence of side effects were presented, but reference was made to the potential effects of excessive protein intake, such as dehydration secondary to high urea excretion, gout, liver and kidney damage, calcium loss, bloating, and diarrhea (1).

Whereas the LSRO report outlined certain useful considerations pertaining to the use of supplements, such as specific concerns regarding potential side effects, little information was given about the value of these supplements. Three endpoints that are used to assess the value of protein supplements on muscle mass and function might be considered. First is the use of performance as an endpoint, the difficulties of which have already been noted. The second approach is nitrogen balance, which is the most commonly used metabolic endpoint because nitrogen is the unique component of amino acids. The balance between the amount of nitrogen ingested and the amount excreted provides a direct index of the extent to which protein is either gained or lost over time in the body. The third approach is the direct quantification of muscle protein kinetics.

The difficulties in using performance as an endpoint notwithstanding, some consideration must be given to the nature of the physical activity when evaluating the benefit of a supplement. For example, a body builder and a distance runner are both interested in maximizing muscle strength, but the body builder wants to accomplish this goal by increasing muscle mass, whereas the distance runner aims for as low a mass of muscle as is functional. Clearly, performance endpoints are different for these 2 individuals. Although it may be impossible to address performance endpoints in a quantifiably reliable manner, it is nonetheless important to keep in mind the metabolic goal of the individual using the supplement.

Nitrogen balance has been the most commonly used endpoint to evaluate the utility of protein or amino acid supplements. Nevertheless, there are limitations in the interpretation of nitrogen balance. Apparent protein retention at high protein intakes can give falsely high estimates of protein requirements and can exaggerate the apparently beneficial effects of protein supplements (2). Furthermore, errors in measuring nitrogen loss in physically active persons are likely to be systematic rather than random underestimates. For example, the rate of nitrogen loss in sweat is generally assumed to be a constant value, but this value is likely to be higher in active individuals, particularly if they exercise in the heat. It is also possible that nitrogen is lost through the breath at a significant rate during heavy exercise, but the rate of ventilation is so high during exercise that the amount of nitrogen moving in and out of the lungs is so large that detection of any net secretion of nitrogen via breath is impossible. These problems make nitrogen balance difficult to interpret because each of these sources of error underestimates nitrogen loss if it is measured by traditional means. Furthermore, accurate analysis of the diet is often a problem, and many studies have not allowed adequate time for adaptation to the diet. Finally, variations in energy intake have a pronounced effect on nitrogen balance. Despite these potential problems, however, nitrogen balance has generally been considered to be the best yardstick for evaluating protein requirements, and several useful studies have been published that assess the effect of exercise on protein requirements.

Results of a study by Gontzea et al (3) showed that normal individuals who ate a diet containing a constant amount of nitrogen and who were in nitrogen balance in daily life went into negative nitrogen balance for almost 2 wk after starting an exercise program (Figure 1). However, after the initial 2-wk period, they could maintain nitrogen balance during training without increasing nitrogen intake. This study has been widely cited as evidence that physical activity increases protein requirements, and thus as support for the utility of protein supplements. However, an alternative interpretation of these data is possible. Because most physically active individuals have a rather consistent pattern of exercise, the stability of the nitrogen balance after the initial period of adaptation to exercise indicates that nitrogen balance can be maintained quite well without a change in protein intake in individuals who are chronically physically active.

View larger version (18K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 1. The effect on nitrogen balance of starting an excise program in individuals maintained on a constant nitrogen intake. From reference 3.

Meredith et al (4) used another approach to study the effect of exercise on nitrogen balance in both young and older persons who consumed 1 of 3 different protein intakes (Figure 2). For each individual, investigators connected the data points to determine where they crossed the zero balance line to determine the average protein requirement in exercising individuals. The average requirement was 0.94 g•kg-1•d-1, which was somewhat above the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of 0.8 g•kg-1•d-1. Of course, if an individual is trying to increase lean body mass, the goal is not zero balance but to have nitrogen balance as high (positive) as possible. Thus, these data could also be used to support the contention that protein supplementation above the RDA can markedly improve nitrogen balance in exercising individuals, regardless of age.

View larger version (15K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 2. Nitrogen balance in individuals fed 3 different protein intakes. The requirement for nitrogen balance was determined for each individual by determining when the line connecting the points for each nitrogen intake crossed the zero-balance line. Young and middle-aged distance runners were studied. The estimated protein requirement for zero-balance was 0.94 g•kg-1•d-1. RDA, recommended dietary allowance. From reference 4.

The role of energy balance in determining nitrogen balance is of great importance in evaluating the effect of exercise, because exercise can certainly modify energy balance. The amount of energy that is sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance in the resting state is likely to be insufficient when energy expenditure increases with the onset of exercise. The importance of energy expenditure on nitrogen balance is shown in Figure 3. These data show that regardless of the amount of nitrogen intake, nitrogen balance improves as energy intake increases. Butterfield and Calloway (6) also reported these findings in exercising individuals. In this complex study, subjects were given varying energy and protein intakes. The results clearly indicated that energy balance may be equally or more important than nitrogen intake as a determinant of nitrogen balance.

View larger version (17K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 3. Effect of energy intake on nitrogen balance. Each line represents a different protein intake, ranging from 0 protein intake () to 15 g N/d (•). The half-filled circles and x's refer to intermediate protein intakes. To convert kcal to kJ, multiply by 4.184. From reference 5.

Even if nitrogen balance measurements can be accepted as precisely accurate, nitrogen balance data are still limiting because they are an indirect assessment of the reason people take protein supplements, which is to increase their muscle strength and size. The metabolic basis for increased muscle strength and size is the stimulation of muscle protein synthesis to a rate greater than that of muscle protein breakdown. The remainder of this discussion thus focuses on the regulation of muscle protein synthesis and breakdown. Amino acid transmembrane transport between the blood and the intramuscular compartment is also discussed because of the importance of this process in relation to synthesis and breakdown.
Transport of amino acids into the cell against a concentration gradient is necessary for ingested amino acids to be ultimately incorporated into protein. Intracellular amino acids that are released as a consequence of protein breakdown and are not directly reincorporated into protein, or oxidized, are transported into blood. Thus, the processes of inward and outward amino acid transport are direct links between protein ingestion and muscle protein synthesis and breakdown. The results that follow were all obtained in human subjects with use of a stable-isotope-tracer method described fundamentally by Biolo et al (7).

In Figure 4 are shown the changes that occurred in muscle protein synthesis and breakdown in 5 untrained male subjects ( ± SEM age: 24 ± 2 y) as a consequence of a resistance (weightlifting) workout (8). These data were collected as part of a study in our laboratory of persons in the fasting state. These data indicated that even in the absence of recent nutritional intake, muscle protein synthesis is stimulated by exercise. We had earlier observed the same response during and after the time subjects walked on a treadmill for 4 h at 40% of maximal oxygen uptake (O2max) (9). Clearly, exercise has a direct stimulatory effect on the rate of muscle protein synthesis. However, the rate of muscle protein breakdown is also increased as a consequence of exercise, thereby blunting the extent to which net balance between synthesis and breakdown is improved (Figure 4).

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
View larger version (33K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 4. Effect of resistance exercise on (A) muscle protein synthesis (Fom) and (B) muscle protein breakdown in untrained, fasted subjects. Phe, phenylalanine. Adapted from reference 8.

The link between synthesis and breakdown is shown in data from the same earlier study that examined weightlifting in untrained, fasting individuals (8) (Figure 5). In the absence of nutritional intake, the amino acids needed to produce muscle protein at an increased rate after exercise are largely derived from protein breakdown. Thus, although there is a significant improvement in net muscle protein synthesis after exercise, protein balance is still slightly negative. In fact, net balance will always be negative if only amino acids from breakdown are used as precursors for synthesis, because some of the amino acids from protein breakdown will be oxidized and thus unavailable for incorporation into new protein. Food intake is required to cause a positive protein balance in muscle.

View larger version (51K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 5. Relation between muscle protein breakdown and protein synthesis. Data are pooled from both resting state and recovery after exercise.

Food intake can stimulate muscle protein synthesis secondary to an increased insulin release, because insulin can directly stimulate muscle protein synthesis and, to at least some extent, decrease protein breakdown (10). As mentioned previously, an improvement in energy balance may also have an effect on net muscle protein balance (6). However, the primary way in which one would expect food intake to stimulate muscle protein synthesis is an increased delivery of amino acids to the muscle. The strong relation between amino acid inflow to the leg (arterial concentration x blood flow) and leg muscle protein synthesis under a variety of conditions is shown in Figure 6. The example shown is for phenylalanine and applies when the changes in phenylalanine concentration correspond roughly to changes in the concentrations of other essential amino acids. The relation shown for phenylalanine is representative of other essential amino acids that have been measured (leucine and lysine) (7). The increased inflow causes a stimulation of the inward transport of amino acids. The relative contribution of inward transport to the total intracellular rate of appearance of essential amino acids ranges from 25% for lysine to almost 75% for phenylalanine in the fasted state, and the balance of intracellular essential amino acids comes from protein breakdown. Nonessential amino acids, such as glutamine and alanine, are derived largely from de novo synthesis in muscle; transport and breakdown are less important routes of appearance. In the fed state, the relative contribution of the blood-borne amino acids to the intramuscular pool increases.

View larger version (16K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 6. Relation between phenylalanine delivery (Phe Fin) and protein synthesis (Fom). The higher values of delivery occurred during an infusion of a balanced amino acid solution.

When both sources of essential amino acids in the intracellular compartment are taken together, a close relation exists between the total intracellular rate of appearance of essential amino acids and muscle protein synthesis. This can be seen from the example of phenylalanine in Figure 7. This close relation suggests that the intracellular availability of amino acids may be a factor that dictates the rate of muscle protein synthesis and therefore provides both a rationale and a mechanism of action for a potential beneficial effect of protein supplements.

View larger version (16K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 7. Relation between total intramuscular rate of appearance of phenylalanine (Ram) and protein synthesis (Fom). Changes in phenylalanine concentration were caused by the infusion of a balanced amino acid solution. The same relation between Ram and synthesis applies for other essential amino acids, provided that the change in concentration of the amino acid occurs in the context of comparable changes in concentration of all amino acids.

The relation shown in Figure 7 for phenylalanine depends on an availability of amino acids in the intracellular pool that corresponds to the proportional requirement for specific amino acids to be incorporated into muscle protein. In this case, the relation between total intracellular appearance and protein synthesis shown in Figure 7 for phenylalanine also applies to the other essential amino acids. When amino acids or protein are ingested, the extent of increase in the intracellular concentration of each amino acid depends not only on its relative concentration in the blood entering the muscle but also on the individual transport kinetics. Furthermore, the clearance of individual amino acids from the splanchnic bed may cause the pattern of amino acids entering the general circulation via the hepatic vein to differ from the pattern of amino acids in the ingested protein. Dietary protein will thus probably cause a pattern of increase in the intramuscular amino acid pool that differs substantially from the composition of the ingested protein. It is therefore difficult to consider the global issue of "protein requirements" of exercise, because the composition of ingested protein will have a significant effect on the extent to which the intramuscular pool of individual amino acids is increased.
The infusion of amino acids also causes an increase in the inward transport of amino acids (Figure 8). Interestingly, the same intravenous infusion of a balanced mixture of amino acids causes a greater rate of inward transport after exercise. The relation between inward transport and synthesis suggested in Figure 6 holds in this case, because the greater rate of inward transport of amino acids after exercise is related to a significantly greater stimulation of muscle protein synthesis than when the amino acids are infused at rest (Figure 9). This interaction among exercise, amino acid transport, and muscle protein synthesis has significance regarding the timing of ingestion of a protein supplement. On the basis of the aforementioned results, a protein supplement taken immediately after exercise would be anticipated to have a greater effect on muscle protein synthesis than if it were ingested at some later time. Our data indicate that muscle is more efficient at utilizing a given amount of amino acid after resistance exercise. Therefore, if the goal is to maintain a constant muscle mass, it would be predicted that the protein requirements after resistance exercise would actually be decreased. This notion is consistent with the conclusion of Butterfield (11) that exercise enhances the efficiency of protein utilization. Moreover, if the goal is to amplify the anabolic response to exercise, our results indicate that a protein supplement, particularly if taken shortly after exercise, will further increase inward transport and thus synthesis. This point is illustrated in Figure 9, in which the net rate of muscle protein synthesis at rest and after resistance exercise is shown. The infusion of a balanced amino acid mixture after exercise causes a large increase in net protein synthesis. Not only might a higher rate of amino acid administration be anticipated to further stimulate synthesis, but also the mixture of amino acids might be improved to enhance synthesis.

View larger version (30K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 8. Effect of the infusion of a balanced mixture of amino acids (AA) on the inward transport of leucine (Fma). The infusion was done either at rest or in the first 3 h of recovery from a resistance workout (Ex). Leu, leucine.

View larger version (24K):
[in this window]
[in a new window]
   FIGURE 9. Effect of the infusion of a balanced mixture of amino acids (AA) on net muscle protein synthesis at rest and after resistance exercise (Ex).

ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

The first step in determining the potential benefit of protein supplementation of the diet for subjects involved in strenuous exercise is to define the goal of supplementation. For example, an endurance athlete may look to a supplement that will speed recovery from workouts without adding muscle mass, whereas a power-lifter will seek a supplement specifically to increase muscle mass and power. The components, and amounts of each component, that would optimally achieve the desired goal should then be predicted on the basis of results from metabolic studies in which the responses of muscle protein synthesis and breakdown are quantified. Factors yet to be determined are the optimal composition of a supplement (eg, type of protein, composition of amino acid mixture, nature of nonprotein energy), the optimal timing of ingestion in relation to exercise, and the amount of protein or amino acids per serving. When a theoretically optimal supplement is designed, then a long-term (eg, 6-mo) outcome study should be performed in which pertinent outcome variables (eg, muscle strength) are measured. Outcome studies should include both individuals who are habitual exercisers and untrained individuals who start training as part of the study. Only when an optimal supplement is evaluated under controlled conditions (ie, comparable levels of exercise intensity, training duration, and other nutritional intake) can the question of protein requirements during exercise be definitively answered.

CONCLUSION 
ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

However, some experimental data suggest that exercise may actually decrease the protein requirements necessary to maintain balance. Nevertheless, it can be speculated that a protein supplement should be useful to stimulate net muscle protein synthesis, particularly if the supplement has the optimal proportion of individual amino acids. However, experiments have yet to be performed that document such a beneficial effect of protein supplements.

REFERENCES 
ABSTRACT
INTRODUCTION
CONCLUSION
REFERENCES

Anderson SA, Raiten DJ, eds. Safety of amino acids used as dietary supplements. Bethesda, MD: Life Science Research Office, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, 1991.
Hegsted DM. Assessment of nitrogen requirements. Am J Clin Nutr 1978;31:1669–77.[Free Full Text]
Gontzea I, Sutzescu P, Dumitrache S. The influence of adaptation to physical effort on nitrogen balance in man. Nutr Rep Int 1975; 11:231–6.
Meredith CN, Zachin MJ, Frontera WR, Evans WJ. Dietary protein requirements and body protein metabolism in endurance-trained men. J Appl Physiol 1989;66:2850–6.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Calloway DH, Spector H. Nitrogen balance as related to caloric and protein intake in active young men. Am J Clin Nutr 1954;2:405–11.[Abstract]
Butterfield G, Calloway DH. Physical activity improves protein utilization in young men. Br J Nutr 1984;51:171–84.[Medline]
Biolo G, Fleming RYD, Maggi SP, Wolfe RR. Transmembrane transport and intracellular kinetics of amino acids in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol 1995;268:E75–84.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Biolo G, Maggi SP, Williams BD, Tipton K, Wolfe RR. Increased rates of muscle protein turnover and amino acid transport following resistance exercise in humans. Am J Physiol 1995;268:E514–20.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Carraro F, Stuart CA, Hartl WH, Rosenblatt J, Wolfe RR. Effect of exercise and recovery on muscle protein synthesis in human subjects. Am J Physiol 1990;259:E470–6.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Biolo G, Fleming RYD, Wolfe RR. Physiologic hyperinsulinemia stimulates protein synthesis and enhances transport of selected amino acids in human skeletal muscle. J Clin Invest 1995;95:811–9.[Medline]
Butterfield G. Amino acids and high protein diets. In: Lamb D, Williams MH, eds. Ergogenics enhancement of performance in exercise and sport. Blaine, WA: Wm Brown, 1991:87–117.

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2006, 04:44:47 PM »
Here's a little something I thought might be of interest to all of the people flushing their hard earned
money down the toilets on these 600 grams of protein per day diets. Save your money people.

MYTH: Protein supplements increase strength.

FACT: Protein is needed to build, maintain and repair muscle tissue. Protein is not stored in the body; it must be supplied daily. And most active people need more protein in their diets than sedentary people do. In particular, twice the usual protein requirement might help athletes who are trying to build muscle mass or those who often put stress on their muscles and sustain frequent minor injuries, including microscopic tears.

But - and this is a big but - the typical athlete already consumes at least twice the recommended amount of protein each day, nutrition surveys have shown. Excess dietary protein is stored as fat, not muscle. Various studies have shown that protein supplements have no discernible value to an athlete who eats ordinary foods.

In fact, too much protein can impair athletic performance because it is dehydrating, it can set off an attack of gout and it places an undue burden on the kidneys and liver, according to a position paper prepared by the American Dietetic Association.

Only exercise, not extra dietary protein, can increase muscle strength and size. A couch potato who lives on pure protein will still be flabby.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2006, 04:47:55 PM »
Protein Overload
Muscle, vitality, strength, power, energy, vigor, aggressiveness, and liveliness are words that come to mind when people think of the benefits of protein in their diet.  The truth is quite the opposite.  Bone loss, osteoporisis, kidney damage, kidney stones, immune dysfunction, arthritis, cancer promotion, low-energy, and overall poor health are the real consequences from overemphasizing protein.  Protein serves as raw material to build tissues.  Without sufficient protein from your diet, your body would be in trouble – but, aside from starvation, this never happens.   Yes, a little protein is good, but more is not better. Protein consumed beyond our needs is a health hazard as devastating as excess dietary fat and cholesterol.  Unfortunately, almost everyone on the typical Western diet is overburdened with protein to the point of physical collapse.  The public has almost no awareness of problems of protein overload, but scientists have known about the damaging effects of excess protein for more than a century.

In his book, Physiology Economy in Nutrition, Russell Henry Chittenden, former President of the American Physiological Society (APS) and Professor of Physiological Chemistry at Yale, wrote in 1905, “Proteid (protein) decomposition products are a constant menace to the well-being of the body; any quantity of proteid or albuminous food beyond the real requirements of the body may prove distinctly injurious…Further, it requires no imagination to understand the constant strain upon the liver and kidneys, to say nothing of the possible influence upon the central and peripheral parts of the nervous system, by these nitrogenous waste products which the body ordinarily gets rid of as speedily as possible.”1

What are Your Construction (Protein) Needs?

Protein from your diet is required to build new cells, synthesize hormones, and repair damaged and worn out tissues.  So how much do you need? 

The protein lost from the body each day from shedding skin, sloughing intestine, and other miscellaneous losses is about 3 grams per day (0.05 grams/Kg).3  Add to this loss other physiological requirements, such as growth and repairs.  The final tally, based on solid scientific research, is: your total daily need for protein is about 20 to 30 grams.4,5  Plant proteins easily meet these needs.6

So what are people consuming?  Those living in many rural Asian societies consume about 40 to 60 grams from their diet of starch (mostly rice) with vegetables.6  On the Western diet, typical food choices centered around meat and dairy products, “a well-balanced diet,” provides about 100 to 160 grams of protein a day.  A traditional Eskimo, eating marine animals, or someone on the Atkins diet, from various kinds of meat and dairy, might be consuming 200 to 400 grams a day.7  Notice that there can be a 10-fold (1000%) difference from our basic requirements and the amount some people consume.  The resilience of the human body allows for survival under conditions of incredible over-consumption.

Once the body’s needs are met, then the excess must be removed.  The liver converts the excess protein into urea and other nitrogen-containing breakdown products, which are finally eliminated through the kidneys as part of the urine. 

Excess Protein Burdens the Kidneys and Liver

Processing all that excess dietary protein – as much as 300 grams (10 ounces) a day –causes wear and tear on the kidneys; and as a result, on average, 25% of kidney function is lost over a lifetime (70 years) from consuming the Western diet.8,9   Fortunately, the kidneys are built with large reserve capacity and the effects of losing one-quarter of kidney function are of no consequence for otherwise healthy people.  However, people who have already lost kidney function for other reasons – from an accident, donation of a kidney, infection, diabetes, and hypertension – may suffer life-threatening consequences from a diet no higher in protein than the average American consumes.10,11

The time-honored fundamental treatment for people with failing kidneys is a low-protein diet.  End-stage kidney failure, requiring dialysis, can usually be postponed or avoided by patients fortunate enough to learn about the benefits of a low-protein diet.10-13 

People suffering with liver failure are also placed on diets low in protein as fundamental therapy – short of a liver transplant, this is the most important therapy they will receive.  During the end stages of liver failure, patients will often fall into a coma from the build-up of protein breakdown products (hepatic coma).  A change to a cost-free, very low-protein diet can cause these dying people to awaken.  Well planned, plant-food based diets are particularly effective with both kidney and liver disease.14,15

Excess Protein Damages the Bones = Osteoporosis

Worldwide, rates of hip fractures (and kidney stones) increase with increasing animal protein consumption (including dairy products).  For example, people from the USA, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Australia, and New Zealand have the highest rates of osteoporosis. 15,16  The lowest rates are among people who eat the fewest animal-derived foods (these people are also on lower calcium diets) – like the people from rural Asia and rural Africa.15,16 

Osteoporosis is caused by several controllable factors; however, the most important one is the foods we choose – especially the amount of animal protein and the foods high in acid.17-19  The high acid foods are meat, poultry, fish, seafood, and hard cheeses – parmesan cheese is the most acidic of all foods commonly consumed.20 This acid must be neutralized by the body.21  Carbonate, citrate and sodium are alkaline materials released from the bones to neutralize the acids.  Fruits and vegetables are alkaline and as a result a diet high in these plant foods will neutralize acid and preserve bones.  The acidic condition of the body caused by the Western diet also raises cortisol (steroid) levels. 22 Elevated cortisol causes severe chronic bone loss – just like giving steroid medication for arthritis causes severe osteoporosis.

Consequence Two: Kidney Stones

Once materials are released from the solid bone, the calcium and other bone substances move through the blood stream to the kidneys where they are eliminated in the urine. In an effort to remove the overabundance of waste protein, the flow of blood through the kidneys (glomerular filtration rate) increases – the result: calcium is filtered out of the body.  Naturally, the kidneys attempt to return much of this filtered calcium back to the body; unfortunately, the acid and sulfur-containing amino acids from the animal foods thwart the body’s attempts to conserve calcium.  The final result is each 10 grams of dietary protein in excess of our needs (30 grams daily) increases daily urinary calcium loss by 16 mg.  Another way of looking at the effects is: doubling protein intake from our diet increases the loss of calcium in our urine by 50%.25  Plant proteins (plant food-bases) do not have these calcium and bone losing effects under normal living conditions.

Once this bone material arrives in the collecting systems of the kidney it easily precipitates into sold formations known as kidney stones.27   Over 90% of kidney stones found in people following a high-protein, Western diet are formed primarily of bone-derived calcium.  Following a healthy diet is the best way to prevent kidney stones.28

Toxic Sulfur Distinguishes Animal Foods

The qualities of the proteins we consume are as important as the quantities.  One very important distinction between animal and plant-derived protein is that animal proteins contain very large amounts of the basic element sulfur.  This sulfur is found as two of the twenty primary amino acids, methionine and cysteine.  Derived from these two primary sulfur-containing amino acids are several other sulfur-containing amino acids – these are keto-methionine, cystine, homocysteine, cystathionine, taurine, cysteic acid.

Methionine
 Valine

The yellow sphere represents the element sulfur.

Even though sulfur-containing amino acids are essential for our survival, an excess of these amino acids beyond our needs places a critical burden upon our body and detracts from our health in six important ways:

1)   Amino acids, as the name implies are acids; the sulfur-containing amino acids are the strongest acids of all, they breakdown into powerful sulfuric acid.  Excess acid, as discussed above, is a primary cause of bone loss leading to osteoporosis and kidney stone formation.29

2)  Methionine is metabolized into homocysteine – animal foods are the major source of the amino acid, homocysteine, in people – the more meat in the diet, the higher a person’s blood level of homocysteine.  A diet high in fruits and vegetables lowers the levels of this amino acid.  Epidemiological and clinical studies have proven homocysteine to be an independent risk factor for heart attacks, strokes, closure of the arteries to the legs (peripheral vascular disease), blood clots in the legs (venous thrombosis), thinking problems (cognitive impairment), and even worse mental troubles, like dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and depression.30

3) Sulfur feeds cancerous tumors.  Cancer cell metabolism is dependent upon methionine being in the diet; whereas, normal cells can grow on a methionine-free diet (feeding off of other sulfur-containing amino acids).  This methionine-dependency has been demonstrated for breast, lung, colon, kidney, melanoma, and brain cancers.31,32  Increasing methionine in the diet of animals promotes the growth of cancer.33

There is also evidence of cancer promoting effects of methionine mediated through a powerful growth stimulating hormone, called insulin-like growth factor - 1 (IGF-1).34  Meat and dairy products raise IGF-1 levels and promote the growth of cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, and lung.35 

4)  Sulfur from sulfur-containing amino acids is known to be toxic to the tissues of the intestine, and to have deleterious effects on the human colon, even at low levels.36    The consequence of a diet of high-methionine (animal) foods may be a life-threatening inflammatory bowel disease, called ulcerative colitis.37-38

5)  Sulfur restriction prolongs life.39  Almost seventy years ago, restricting food consumption was found to prolong the life of animals by changing the fundamental rate at which aging occurs.40  Restriction of methionine in the diet has also been shown to prolong the life of experimental animals.  By no coincidence, a diet based on plant foods is inherently low in both calories and methionine – thus the easiest and most effective means to a long and healthy life.

6)  Possibly a stronger motivation to keep protein, and especially methionine-rich animal protein, out of your diet is foul smelling odors – halitosis, body odor, and noxious flatus – akin to the smell of rotten eggs – are direct results of the sulfur (animal protein) you eat.41,42

Do Not Waste Your Health Away

Animal foods, full of protein waste, promote poor health and early death by accelerating the aging process and increasing the risk of diseases, like heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, that in their own right, cause premature death.  From now on, think of the excess protein you consume as garbage that must be disposed of in order to avoid toxic waste accumulation.  Obviously, the best action is to avoid the excess in the first place and this is most easily accomplished by choosing a diet based on starches, vegetables, and fruits.  Within a few days of changing to a healthy diet, most of the waste will be gone and the damaged tissues will begin healing. 

Unfortunately, you will find little support for such an obvious, inexpensive, and scientifically-supported approach – especially when the common masses of people worldwide are ignorant of the truth – most are gobbling down as much protein as they can stuff in their mouths – and the food industry is supporting this behavior by advertising their products as “high-protein” and "Atkins-approved" – as if this was somehow good for the body.  This paradox is age-old, and because it is ruled by emotions, rather than clear thinking, a change in mind-set in your lifetime, should not be expected.

Two thousand years ago, in this Bible passage, Paul asked for tolerance between meat eaters and vegetarians (Romans 14:1-2). “One man’s faith allows him to eat everything, but another man whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.  The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does...”  Do not wait for a consensus before you take action.

References:

1) Chittenden, R. H. (1905). Physiological economy in nutrition, with special reference to the minimal protein requirement of the healthy man. An experimental study. New York: Frederick A. Stokes Company.

2)  Fire Retardant Treated Plywood:  http://www.nexsenpruet.com/library/docs/NPCOL1_624753_1.pdf

3) Calloway DH.  Sweat and miscellaneous nitrogen losses in human balance studies.
J Nutr. 1971 Jun;101(6):775-86. 

4)  Hegsted DM..  Minimum protein requirements of adults.  Am J Clin Nutr. 1968 May; 21(5): 352-7. 

5) Dole V.  Dietary treatment of hypertension: clinical and metabolic studies of patients on the rice-fruit diet,  J Clin Invest, 1950; 29: 1189-1206.

6)  Millward DJ.  The nutritional value of plant-based diets in relation to human amino acid and protein requirements.  Proc Nutr Soc. 1999 May;58(2):249-60.

7)  Mazess RB.  Bone mineral content of North Alaskan Eskimos. Am J Clin Nutr. 1974 Sep; 27(9): 916-25.

8)  Brenner BM.  Dietary protein intake and the progressive nature of kidney disease: the role of hemodynamically mediated glomerular injury in the pathogenesis of progressive glomerular sclerosis in aging, renal ablation, and intrinsic renal disease. N Engl J Med. 1982 Sep 9; 307(11): 652-9.

9)  Meyer TW.  Dietary protein intake and progressive glomerular sclerosis: the role of capillary hypertension and hyperperfusion in the progression of renal disease.  Ann Intern Med. 1983 May; 98(5 Pt 2): 832-8.

10)  Hansen HP.  Effect of dietary protein restriction on prognosis in patients with diabetic nephropathy. Kidney Int. 2002 Jul; 62(1): 220-8.

11)  Biesenbach G.  Effect of mild dietary protein restriction on urinary protein excretion in patients with renal transplant fibrosis.  Wien Med Wochenschr. 1996; 146(4): 75-8.

12)  Pedrini MT.  The effect of dietary protein restriction on the progression of diabetic and nondiabetic renal diseases: a meta-analysis.  Ann Intern Med. 1996 Apr 1;124(7):627-32.

13)  Cupisti A. Vegetarian diet alternated with conventional low-protein diet for patients with chronic renal failure.  J Ren Nutr. 2002 Jan;12(1):32-7.

14)  Bianchi GP.  Vegetable versus animal protein diet in cirrhotic patients with chronic encephalopathy. A randomized cross-over comparison.  J Intern Med. 1993 May; 233(5): 385-92.

15) Abelow B.  Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: a hypothesis.  Calcific Tissue Int 50:14-8, 1992.

16) Frassetto LA .  Worldwide incidence of hip fracture in elderly women: relation to consumption of animal and vegetable foods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2000 Oct;55(10):M585-92.

17) Maurer M.  Neutralization of Western diet inhibits bone resorption independently of K intake and reduces cortisol secretion in humans. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003 Jan;284(1):F32-40.

18)  Remer T.  Influence of diet on acid-base balance.  Semin Dial. 2000 Jul-Aug;13(4):221-6.

19)  Frassetto L.   Diet, evolution and aging--the pathophysiologic effects of the post-agricultural inversion of the potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet.  Eur J Nutr. 2001 Oct;40(5):200-13.

20)  Remer T. Potential renal acid load of foods and its influence on urine pH.  J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul;95(7):791-7.

21)  Barzel US.  Excess dietary protein can adversely affect bone.  J Nutr. 1998 Jun;128(6):1051-3.

22)  Maurer M.  Neutralization of Western diet inhibits bone resorption independently of K intake and reduces cortisol secretion in humans. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003 Jan; 284(1): F32-40. Epub 2002 Sep 24.

23)  Remer T. Potential renal acid load of foods and its influence on urine pH.  J Am Diet Assoc. 1995 Jul;95(7):791-7.

24)  J Pennington.  Bowes & Church’s Food Values of Portions Commonly Used.  17th Ed. Lippincott. Philadelphia- New York. 1998.

25)  Massey LK .  Dietary animal and plant protein and human bone health: a whole foods approach.  J Nutr. 2003 Mar; 133(3): 862S-865S.

26) Jenkins DJ.  Effect of high vegetable protein diets on urinary calcium loss in middle-aged men and women.  Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;57(2):376-82.

27)  Lemann J Jr.  Relationship between urinary calcium and net acid excretion as determined by dietary protein and potassium: a review. Nephron. 1999; 81 Suppl 1: 18-25.

28)  Delvecchio FC.  Medical management of stone disease. Curr Opin Urol. 2003 May; 13(3): 229-33.

29)  Remer T.  Influence of diet on acid-base balance.  Semin Dial. 2000 Jul-Aug; 13(4): 221-6.

30)  Troen AM.  The atherogenic effect of excess methionine intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 Dec 9; 100(25): 15089-94.

31)  Cellarier E.  Methionine dependency and cancer treatment.  Cancer Treat Rev. 2003 Dec; 29(6): 489-99.

32)  Epner DE.  Nutrient intake and nutritional indexes in adults with metastatic cancer on a phase I clinical trial of dietary methionine restriction.  Nutr Cancer. 2002; 42(2): 158-66.

33)  Paulsen JE.  Growth stimulation of intestinal tumours in Apc(Min/+) mice by dietary L-methionine supplementation.  Anticancer Res. 2001 Sep-Oct; 21(5): 3281-4.

34)  Stubbs AK.  Nutrient-hormone interaction in the ovine liver: methionine supply selectively modulates growth hormone-induced IGF-I gene expression. J Endocrinol. 2002 Aug; 174(2): 335-41.

35)  Yu H. Role of the insulin-like growth factor family in cancer development and progression.  J Natl Cancer Inst. 2000 Sep 20;92(18):1472-89.

36)  Levine J.  Fecal hydrogen sulfide production in ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol. 1998 Jan;93(1):83-7.

37)  Roediger W.  Sulphide impairment of substrate oxidation in rat colonocytes: a biochemical basis for ulcerative colitis? Clin Sci (Lond). 1993 Nov;85(5):623-7.

38)  Christl S.  Effect of sodium sulfide on cell proliferation of colonic mucosa.  Gastroenterology 1994; 106:A664 (abstr).

39)  Zimmerman JA.  Nutritional control of aging.  Exp Gerontol. 2003 Jan-Feb; 38(1-2): 47-52.

40)  McCay C.  The effect of retarded growth upon length of lifespan and upon ultimate body size.  J Nutr. 1935; 10: 63-79.

41)  McDougall J.  Halitosis Is More than Bad Breath .  McDougall Newsletter. January 2002 at www.drmcdougall.com.

42)  McDougall J.  Bad Farts? Meat Stinks!  McDougall Newsletter. August 2002 at www.drmcdougall.com.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: September 10, 2006, 04:51:44 PM »
Here's a little something I thought might be of interest to all of the people flushing their hard earned
money down the toilets on these 600 grams of protein per day diets. Save your money people.

MYTH: Protein supplements increase strength.

FACT: Protein is needed to build, maintain and repair muscle tissue. Protein is not stored in the body; it must be supplied daily. And most active people need more protein in their diets than sedentary people do. In particular, twice the usual protein requirement might help athletes who are trying to build muscle mass or those who often put stress on their muscles and sustain frequent minor injuries, including microscopic tears.

But - and this is a big but - the typical athlete already consumes at least twice the recommended amount of protein each day, nutrition surveys have shown. Excess dietary protein is stored as fat, not muscle. Various studies have shown that protein supplements have no discernible value to an athlete who eats ordinary foods.

In fact, too much protein can impair athletic performance because it is dehydrating, it can set off an attack of gout and it places an undue burden on the kidneys and liver, according to a position paper prepared by the American Dietetic Association.

Only exercise, not extra dietary protein, can increase muscle strength and size. A couch potato who lives on pure protein will still be flabby.

EXACTLY!!!!