Author Topic: what do you think?  (Read 1572 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
what do you think?
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:33:29 AM »
just these three exercises for my tri's to add size

french presses, closed grip bench, and seated pressdowns...

if i cut out all cable work or dumbbell work and just went with those three only...would my body adapt too fast to just three exercises? or should i keep the variety in there? the problem is these are the only three exercises i can go heavy on and that's it.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:39:33 AM »
Dips (weighted)...elbows kept close to the sides...body kepted at almost 180 degree's throughout the movement less the delts and pec's become overly involved. Variety will not be required unless your just bored, so just this one exercise. Second choice (as the only tricep exercise done) would be close grip (6-8"), elbows close to the side, BP. Please wait untill your doing 10 reps with 150lbs before you tell everyone how strong you are. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »
lol on a closed grip benchpress?

if you can bench say 300 you should be able to hit 250 for reps of 10 easily wiht closed grip benching...areason i know this...315 for 8 reps is easily done.

but i dont' use a grip THAT closed...that kills my wrists with weights beyond 225...

or it's that closed for a reason..i've been keeping them just far apart to keep my arms paralell to my body the whole way down elbows pointed forward the whole time.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:53:35 AM »
 The closer the grip & elbows to the side, the more influence on the triceps. If 8" is not to your liking than try a little wider, no one is built the same. There are no golden rules in BB'ing that any grip is right for everyone. That 6-8" is a general gage. Might also try 4" to 6" top position bench lockouts (prefered on a power rack),  where a 6" grip/hand spacing will feel much better on you. Your elbows will flair out some at this top position , mostly all triceps at this point. These lockout can be a massive triceps builder for a lot of guy's.  Or if you have an Olympic style tricep bar than try BP's with that. Do DB hammer grip BP's, again keeping the elbows somewhat close to the body. Good Luck

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 09:08:24 AM »
great idea! i never thought of that! it'll help alot in that transition point in the bench press where the push focus goes more to the tri's than the chest at the top of your ROM!  :D

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:52 AM »
what the hell is a seated pressdown?
bodybuildersreality.com

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »
hammer strength machine that you sit in and strap yourself down too..sounds kinda fun doesn't it?! :D  ;)

allows you to use FAR more weight pressing down than say cables.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:55:31 AM »
hammer strength machine that you sit in and strap yourself down too..sounds kinda fun doesn't it?! :D  ;)

allows you to use FAR more weight pressing down than say cables.
so many crazy ass machines now.
bodybuildersreality.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
i would finish with bench dips instead of a machine... 5 plates on the thighs will fry any tri's..... (he have rubber plates)

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
what the hell is a seated pressdown?
sounds more like seated dips

AVBG

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 08:04:20 PM »
The closer the grip & elbows to the side, the more influence on the triceps. If 8" is not to your liking than try a little wider, no one is built the same. There are no golden rules in BB'ing that any grip is right for everyone. That 6-8" is a general gage. Might also try 4" to 6" top position bench lockouts (prefered on a power rack),  where a 6" grip/hand spacing will feel much better on you. Your elbows will flair out some at this top position , mostly all triceps at this point. These lockout can be a massive triceps builder for a lot of guy's.  Or if you have an Olympic style tricep bar than try BP's with that. Do DB hammer grip BP's, again keeping the elbows somewhat close to the body. Good Luck

Good post...

When does the Close Grip Bench press stop being a chest exercise as opposed to a (primarily) tricep exercise??

Is it the distance between grip?

Or

Is it the postion on the chest the bar comes down on?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 02:43:28 PM »
The close grip BP is not just a chest exercise, whatever the grip is. If it was, it would not be that good of a one. And as I suggested in the last post, the closer the grip the more triceps. But your not going to eliminate the important role of the anterior delts in the movement or the minor affects of the pec's. Just that the close grip will recuit more of a direct influence from the triceps even though the anterior delts, and to a lesser degree, the pec's are  assisting and help finish the lift. Good Luck.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:48:43 PM »
close grips work better than anything else for me. you can really go heavy and overload the Tris.
bodybuildersreality.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
close grips work better than anything else for me. you can really go heavy and overload the Tris.

totally agree, i like doing them with my hands about a foot apart... i find it's the best compromise

AVBG

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 03:22:24 PM »
The close grip BP is not just a chest exercise, whatever the grip is. If it was, it would not be that good of a one. And as I suggested in the last post, the closer the grip the more triceps. But your not going to eliminate the important role of the anterior delts in the movement or the minor affects of the pec's. Just that the close grip will recuit more of a direct influence from the triceps even though the anterior delts, and to a lesser degree, the pec's are  assisting and help finish the lift. Good Luck.

Thanks JPM.. well answered.  :)